• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty odd I'm being called a Nintendo fan even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the gamecube.

I replied to a post calling zelda open world barren. Seemed like a bit of insecurity coming from a ps4 fan to me.

I'll probably go out today and get horizon from a spot I know constantly breaks street dates here in LA. Maybe not though.

Kureransu

Saying people who are buying Horizon won't care about Zelda is silly. If they are both great games, why wouldn't you. Don't vocal minority skew your perception of people who actually like playing great video games, regardless of platform.
In terms of the one article that made the comparison, i don't think it's wrong per say. In comparison Horizon could present a simpler style of play, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. In fact if Aloy had a stamina meter to manage to worry about or balancing arrows to based on trajectories and possibly wind, I think the battle would be more of a chore than a insane, hectic, and fun experience that it is (at least form what i've seen). The game lack of super in depths lends it self well to they selling point of the game. Can you imagine if you could only roll a couple times in battle, or had to manage the stamina trying to climb the tall necks? nah, it slows the game down too much. The depth it has works well because it helps accomplishes what the game sets out to do for the player. Period.

Honestly comparing this two games is almost like comparing Mario Kart to Grand Turismo. Both are great, fun games, both look good respectively, and both have similar mechanics. But while they have a similar foundation, how experience the game is COMPLETELY different. The core focus of the game is different, which makes them stand out on their own. Sure some people don't want the simulation, and some don't want the arcade style, but doesn't make one better than the other, nor does it make it any less fun for those who play both. This back and forth between the two games are silly. I want to say people are trying to validate something, but i don't know what? Their purchase?

Eggbok

These Horizon/ Zelda arguments remind me of this gif.

RAhDJ67.gif

Just replace PS4 with Horizon, XB1 with Zelda and PC with "both" lol.

To move away from the Zelda or Horizon comparisons, I noticed that the delivery date for my Horizon CE has been moved from release date to the 2nd of March. I wonder why???

erawsd

To move away from the Zelda or Horizon comparisons, I noticed that the delivery date for my Horizon CE has been moved from release date to the 2nd of March. I wonder why???

Yeah, seems like something weird is going on with amazon. I always preorder games the Friday before release and I've never had a problem getting release date shipping. However, in this case they want me to cough up the extra $4 for release date shipping or wait until March 2nd if I pick the standard 2 day option.

Nah there about 60 million PS4 owners most of them not going to care about Zelda .
There only 13 million Wii U owners and some of them going to upgrade to Switch .
Plus HZD date was set first and the marketing Sony seem to be doing is big.
So i don't see why they would worry about Zelda when it is not a super massive IP .

Me , Pre order the HZD DE months ago.

I was talking more about this forum, I assume we are all gaming enthusiasts and as a fan of action adventure games can't fathom anyone not wanting to play both games. So yes having both the same week would be a huge delinma for those people and it would hurt the experience of one of those games. I say most would play zelda first because if you are buying a switch for zelda most likely you are huge fan.

Obviously for the general public it won't matter as much but for people who love video games it's a sucky release date, a few weeks earlier would have been great. But as it was said Sony had this date so it's not their job to change it for those that buy both.

Still they are linked, same week, two big games. Both with big open worlds, they do different things but many fans of the genre will want to play both and won't have the proper time to do so.

I don't even understand. Instead of being excited and hyped about two potentially amazing games and experiences - the knee jerk reaction is to make it a pissing contest of which one is optically better? Yikes.

We're getting these two great games in 2017 we should be celebrating

Elfstruck

Yep, I got flamed in the Zelda thread for making a graphics comparison of BotW to older gen hardware. Just because i didnt jizz my pants and only praise the game, i got ran out of town over there. Its funny because i'm getting BotW, and was just trying to discuss weather it was the intended art direction or if there was hardware limitations for such a large game that the graphics had to be the lower res style (which isnt a bad thing).

You either shut up or put up in any Nintendo thread. Pretty hardcore fans in those threads, especially zelda.

Lifeline

Still they are linked, same week, two big games. Both with big open worlds, they do different things but many fans of the genre will want to play both and won't have the proper time to do so.

Nintendo plans to ship 2 million units of Switch by end of march. The amount of people that own a PS4, are interested in horizon, are one of the two million or less to get a switch, and are interested in Zelda is so minuscule, even in this forum.

Kureransu

Nintendo plans to ship 2 million units of Switch by end of march. The amount of people that own a PS4, are interested in horizon, are one of the two million or less to get a switch, and are interested in Zelda is so minuscule, even in this forum.

I think you'd be surprised. And zelda isn't just on switch.

Servbot24

Banned
Pretty odd I'm being called a Nintendo fan even though I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the gamecube.

I replied to a post calling zelda open world barren. Seemed like a bit of insecurity coming from a ps4 fan to me.

I'll probably go out today and get horizon from a spot I know constantly breaks street dates here in LA. Maybe not though.

I am a Nintendo fan, and I think BotW looks both barren and ugly. Of course, I haven't played it. My impressions are based on the footage that Nintendo has decided that I should see and form impressions from.

Even if BotW is barren and ugly I think it can still be a good game btw.

Physical..there will be consequences.

Im %110 digital since forever and i will be rocking this this thing hassle free 12:01est 2/28.

Zelda just had to be shoved with a game not related at all. To me, it seems like people's excuses to not buy Zelda/Switch. :I

Or in simpler terms, just to hate Nintendo.

Servbot24

Banned
Hopefully we can keep the comparison madness out of the official thread at least

I still don't get why we should act like Horizon is the only game there is.

On Gaf there is in depth discussion of both game design and game industry. It seems obvious that we would approach discussions from a variety of angles, including noting similarities and differences between various games. Approaching each game as though it were the only game seems like both a bizarre and counterproductive virtue to hold.

0racle

Hey guys,

I have not watched/read much on this game other than the E3 presser videos. What would the *THE* go to video if i wanted to hype myself up some more and show the game off to friends.

Believe it or not, my blackout on this game has caused me to not be excited for it...at all....

I need a pick me up.

Makikou

My trusted retailer who usually gets the games early to me has not shipped yet. I guess they will ship on Monday so i'll get it tuesday (eu release is wednesday).

Digital is not an option because I got the Limited Edition and I want the steelbook and art book goodies.

Wollan

Hey guys,

I have not watched/read much on this game other than the E3 presser videos. What would the *THE* go to video if i wanted to hype myself up some more and show the game off to friends.

Believe it or not, my blackout on this game has caused me to not be excited for it...at all....

I need a pick me up.
I think this one is pretty cool: https://vid.me/rAGi

Will be picking this up tomorrow from the store I know and the collector's edition I ordered is on its way. Can't wait to dive in tomorrow, no distractions, no work, gonna be a good day.

I still don't get why we should act like Horizon is the only game there is.

On Gaf there is in depth discussion of both game design and game industry. It seems obvious that we would approach discussions from a variety of angles, including noting similarities and differences between various games. Approaching each game as though it were the only game seems like both a bizarre and counterproductive virtue to hold.

Honestly, I'm with you on this point but I don't think the Zelda and Horizon comparisons are warranted.

For both titles, there are far more relevant and apt comparisons to draw from to evaluate both games than each other, who just happen to release close to each other and are open world.

The way both have both approached the core gameplay loop, the overall game design and even the design of the world invites comparisons to other titles rather than each other (I'd say MGSV is a far more apt comparison for Zelda than most other open world titles).

So personally, I have no issue with titles being compared. But if we are comparing solely based on a couple of similarities, then I don't feel there is much in depth discussion to have.

QaaQer

What's up with US GAMER? I would never think of this game as a 2.5 out of 5. Did it not gel well with him or something?

She was on this weeks podcast and she straight up hated the game: story was dumb, gameplay stupidly easy, character made no sense, and the fighting monotonous. 2.5 sounded generous. That review caused a lot of upset at usgamer.

She has some big balls tho, posting that review on her first week on the job.

Servbot24

Banned
Honestly, I'm with you on this point but I don't think the Zelda and Horizon comparisons are warranted.

For both titles, there are far more relevant and apt comparisons to draw from to evaluate both games than each other, who just happen to release close to each other and are open world.

The way both have both approached the core gameplay loop, the overall game design and even the design of the world invites comparisons to other titles rather than each other (I'd say MGSV is a far more apt comparison for Zelda than most other open world titles).

So personally, I have no issue with titles being compared. But if we are comparing solely based on a couple of similarities, then I don't feel there is much in depth discussion to have.

I mainly just want to point out that the idea that only things that are the same can be compared is faulty. That defeats the purpose of making comparisons. You can't learn anything by comparing two things that are the same.

I'll definitely agree that it shouldn't fixate 100% on Zelda, but for as long as the conversation lasts there's something to be learned by observing how two different games approach game design, where they succeed and fail, and where they merge and vary.

The problems only emerge when people start making assumptions that the secret purpose of the discussion is fanboyism, and then try to shut down conversation based on that.

Zelda just had to be shoved with a game not related at all. To me, it seems like people's excuses to not buy Zelda/Switch. :I

Or in simpler terms, just to hate Nintendo.

Honestly, only bought WiiU out of Nintendo major consoles which still sitting wrapped in the box since launch. ( opened to try a few gms, and back in the box )

Try to get into marios..etc its not my cup of tea, style, gameplay and mainly aimed at 10yr olds.

Watched a few vid previews of this Zelda gm and gtfo youd pay me i wouldn't go near this thing..Why is this kiddie gm even mentioned in the same sentence as Horizon? which is dark, gritty, smart and rich world in every aspect..difference is night and day.

She was on this weeks podcast and she straight up hated the game: story was dumb, gameplay stupidly easy, character made no sense, and the fighting monotonous.

It's honestly impressive how opinions can feel so wrong, so rapidly.

I just don't understand what story *would* be interesting, what gameplay *would* be challenging, what fighting *would* be exciting, when Horizon doesn't do it for you. It boggles my mind.

Honestly, only bought WiiU out of Nintendo major consoles which still sitting wrapped in the box since launch. ( opened to try a few gms, and back in the box )

Try to get into marios..etc its not my cup of tea, style, gameplay and mainly aimed at 10yr olds.

Watched a few vid previews of this Zelda gm and gtfo youd pay me i wouldn't go near this thing..Why is this kiddie gm even mentioned in the same sentence as Horizon? which is dark, gritty, smart and rich world in every aspect..difference is night and day.
I don't even play Nintendo games and I know they're some most tightly-designed gameplay-first games around. Age or "kiddie" has nothing to do with their gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom