• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. Just laughing as thats totally useless for a person.
Edit: Unless they find themselves agreeing always with me.
Which...should never happen lol

People watch your videos for the greatly detailed, helpful reviews, so I'm sure it won't be any different in this case. Some individuals don't have the time to read through/watch every review, so I figure it's useful for those who want to know the verdict (like numbered scores). And like you said, if they generally agree with you, it's a quick way to verify.

Karak

Yay, was waiting for your review and especially the Walking the Walk. :)
Can I watch the review later without being spoilered too much? Otherwise I'll watch it after I finished the game. :)

It shows stuff after the main title.
After that each person decides what is a spoiler to them lol.
I had the same embargo as others for story data and showing stuff. If that helps.

I can see it jump to 89, just to drop again to 88 after the next attention seeking 2.5 review comes in. XD

Anyway, I'm getting ready to pick up this beauty later today:

27521821175_fba7601a00_b.jpg

The Limited Edition is already being delivered to stores in Germany.
Where??

FeD.nL

I can see it jump to 89, just to drop again to 88 after the next attention seeking 2.5 review comes in. XD

[MG]https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7391/27521821175_fba7601a00_b.jpg[/IMG]

Saturn/Mediamarkt?

I saw them making room on the shelfs yesterday, here in the Netherlands. Might have to check it out today.

deoee

27521821175_fba7601a00_b.jpg

What store are you talking about? :)

I pre-ordered at a Gamestop but I don't think they will give it out early :/

Melchiah

Digital is not an option because I got the Limited Edition and I want the steelbook and art book goodies.

I'm considering about exchanging the pre-order to the digital edition, since it comes with concept art as well. I'd just like to know if the art is in hi-res, and can be transferred to my laptop.

Wollan

With Edge giving it a 9 it's solely US Gamer's 2.5 holding it back from a 90. That one outlier is likely a (negative) million dollar review now. I should probably read it to see if it's well written/reasoned. ;)

edit: heaps of open spoilers in that review from main campaign to resolution of several side-missions (zero care for the reader here). She litterary hated everything about it except trekking through land between missions and the graphics. Tedious gameplay because tropes, no mechanics breakdown. Bad story. Can't remember sound and music. A paragraph is spent questioning why Aloy should care about side-missions and the plight of NPC's. Ugh.

sackninja

Wow, this should give it a chance to reach 89 when it's added, since it's only 5 places away from 89 on the all time review chart meaning it only needs a very small bump to reach it.

Also a digital trends 9 out of 10 still to be added, it should safely make 89.

deoee

With Edge giving it a 9 it's solely US Gamer's 2.5 holding it back from a 90. That one outlier is likely a (negative) million dollar review now. I should probably read it to see if it's well written/reasoned. ;)

Please give a tl;dr, I don't want to give them clicks :)

Skeeter49

you don't need to edit that, as bloodborne is not first party!!
Sony Japan was robbed.
I'd make an argument for it being First Party. Sony Japan seemed like they were more involved than just publishing it.
Either way, First Party games are games made by First Party studios, or Second Party studios ,since Second Party isn't an actual term.

Edit: Kind of got stuck between making a joke, and sounding serious after feeling the need to explain myself.

I find it kind of odd, but not completely unreasonably written. It's a pure opinion piece that ignored technical merits and relative implementation of mechanics though, hence why it ended up a low-average level score.

Really, looking through the authors other reviews and work, it just confuses me as to why they were given the game to review in the first place, because it makes perfect sense they'd have not had any fun with it given their apparent tastes.

But ultimately there is merit to it, even if it seem to have had a ridiculously pronounced effect on the average score most people will see despite being a massively divergent, singular outlier. I mean maybe the Author thought they'd love it from the trailers they'd seen, and was dipping their toes into waters they'd never trodden before, only to be disappointed to find it not to heir liking. That's a perfectly valid point of view, and for those that share the Authors tastes, an important warning for them to save their money.

IKizzLE

It's interrsting seeing people worry about this 5/10 and its place on metacritic because when it's all said and done and horizon has over 100 reviews, whether this score is on the site won't make the overall score budge at all.

Gurish

So we are back to 89 soon?

Wish it could reach 90... I know it's dumb, only a point and all but there is something so nice and pleasing about a round number and let's be honest, very very few AAA games got to the 9 and above club this gen so a 9 is a very nice achievement.

Makikou

I'm considering about exchanging the pre-order to the digital edition, since it comes with concept art as well. I'd just like to know if the art is in hi-res, and can be transferred to my laptop.

I am unbelievably tempted to buy digital because I have Monday off and I could just buy the game from HK/US PSN Store but I kinda want the physical goodies...

So we are back to 89 soon?

Wish it could reach 90... I know it's dumb, only a point and all but there is something so nice and pleasing about a round number and let's be honest, very very few AAA games got to the 9 and above club this gen so a 9 is a very nice achievement.
If it makes you feel better... Dark Souls one of the goats is at 89..

It's interrsting seeing people worry about this 5/10 and its place on metacritic because when it's all said and done and horizon has over 100 reviews, whether this score is on the site won't make the overall score budge at all.

Just checked again, and ignoring how they supposedly weight different sources scores, that 5/10 is still single handedly dropping the average down by half a percent. It's a comfortable 89 without it.

Sure, it's basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's still having a disproportionate impact by simple virtue of being so much lower than the average.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Do Games get universal acclaim tag at 90+ on MC? If so then they should lower the universal acclaim barrier to 85 imo

Gurish

Do Games get universal acclaim tag at 90+ on MC? If so then they should lower the universal acclaim barrier to 85 imo

Yea probably a good idea with how reviews scores are working this gen, I think they did update the colors this gen to reflect the decline in high scores, you need a lower score to reach the green color than you needed in previous gens.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Yea probably a good idea with how reviews scores are working this gen, I think they did update the colors this gen to reflect the decline in high scores, you need a lower score to reach the green color than you needed in previous gens.

Movies/tv/music gets universal acclaim at 80-100 on MC its only the games that get it at 90+. Horizon has 85 positive review and 3 mixed yet it has agenerally favorable tag, its dumb

KZ2, 3, and Liberation are all mediocre. Mercenary wasn't developed by Guerilla proper but by a rebranded SCE Cambridge (who's now closed, RIP) and is, coincidentally, the only good Killzone game.
That's not what metacritic, most people outside of gaf and the sales generated would say but okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom