• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
talent always wins

Why yes.. yes it does ;)

they didn't add EDGE score yet.

Ah ok.

No new reviews added to MC yet. That Edge alone will bump it probably, it's #5 spots away from 89 and a small site 9 moves it one spot, an Edge 9 it probably does more. It's like watching a Jenga match!

Waiting for that impossible 90 in the end

One step closer to Gold membership. Congrats.

How do I get that?

Great. And that's with Resident Evil 7 having been on market for a month now with great word of mouth (seriously: I can't recommend playing through this in PSVR enough, fantastic experience).

that's my next game. I just bought it on PSN and its downloading. Was meant to play this when I got back from china but I managed to score a copy of Horizon so that put it off. Can't wait!

What the :eek: how did you get gold?

raw

Melchiah

I am unbelievably tempted to buy digital because I have Monday off and I could just buy the game from HK/US PSN Store but I kinda want the physical goodies...

The digital concept art is better for me, if the images are at least 1080p and I can use them as a laptop wallpaper. The art booklets are so small, that they don't do justice to the art. I'll have to check how it's on tuesday, when some NA players have access to it.

I've been wanting concept art (and soundtracks) to be included in the digital special editions, and it's wonderful it's finally happening.

McGwigan

Banned
For the pro quad, does horizon do supersampled 4K 60fps on a normal 1080p TV? Or is the best I could get just 1080p at 60fps? That's probably still amazing

Elandyll

Banned
Was expecting an 8 from Edge tbh, so it's great to wake up to a 9 :)

Tuesday can't come soon enough!

As per all the people who already have the game, I would say the following with both envy and love:

200_s.gif

not everyone is you or Jim Sterling
Tim-Eric-Mind-Blown.gif

if someone has a different opinion than you it doesn't necessarily imply that they want to actively sabotage Your Favorite Thing™

You're acting like invalid opinions don't exist. They do.

Also, if I'm not really all that into orange juice, should I be the one reviewing orange juice brands? It sounds like that she's just not all that into what the game is actively aiming towards.

Dahaka

What's with the controversy about this game? GameFAQs and Reddit have some people on fire about identity politics in this game,calling this game anti-white male (supposedly all bad men are white) Ultra feminism.

Is this another Mad Max scenario where in the end everything was overblown? (after the movie finished I was like Travolta.gif - fucking great movie)

Wollan

What's with the controversy about this game? GameFAQs and Reddit have some people on fire about identity politics in this game,calling this game anti-white male (supposedly all bad men are white) Ultra feminism.

Is this another Mad Max scenario where in the end everything was overblown? (after the movie finished I was like Travolta.gif - fucking great movie)

It's great. Game is very inclusive. Some review snippets:
Waypoint Vice.com said:
Something else that really impresses me is just how awesome and prevalent women and people of color (and especially women of color!) are in this world. We have matriarchies here, and other forms of tribal society, and everywhere I went there were women as war chiefs, mechanics, hunters, tribe elders, women in positions of power and authority. Complex women. Many of these ladies were black or Latino, and so were many of the men in this world.

Speaking of men, they also enjoy a wide representation here—and are often just as capable as nurturers as they are warriors or kings or "braves," proving that, hey, when there's something approaching gender parity, everybody wins.

In some ways, this game feels quietly revolutionary. It's maybe the most subtly feminist AAA first-party game I can think of. I say subtly because it doesn't feel the need to proclaim anything; it just happens to show a world where gender roles didn't develop along the patriarchal lines in the same way for everyone, where women and folks of color can take on any position and thrive.
Kotaku said:

jayu26

There is no 60 fps. There is 4K with solid 30 fps and 1080p with locked 30 fps.
For the most part and from what I have seen (don't have the game) that 4K with solid 30fps is probably the option to go with. They should add unlock framerate option, so that we can see how high does the frame rate go in 1080 version.

McGwigan

Banned

White men are the scourge of human history. Why would that be any different in a post apocalyptic future with robot dinosaurs? Fake controversy and how can it be a touchy subject? Sigh, people tho. How bou dah

I thought the day 1 patch was supposed to add 60fps?! If not that is such a disappointing piece of news but thank you for your answer. Even solid 30fps is better than some games get.

Ehhh, I wouldn't expect 60 fps out of this, it's a complicated open world with cutting edge tech, PS4's CPU is underpowered for such a task.

I like 60 fps as much as the next person but 4k mode feels pretty good imo.

So posting my review in a couple minutes but I can say that while I did catalog more issues than it seems any other reviewers had or mentioned. The fact is that game is by far more than the sum of it's parts.
A great deal of it for me comes from their excellent handling of map mess and overly fluffy open world game design being leashed a considerable amount. It results in a game that might not have as many activities on the side for months if you want to collect feathers and some shit. But at the 35th hour I felt like i was on my 3rd.

What are you talking about!? your review was super positive! your complains were mostly unsurprising to me, at least the bigger ones, you just added much more depth than anyone else (as always).

Aaaand your video just made me want the game even more than before. Damn.

You're pretty good at this, stop it.

Anyone found a store in the UK yet? I'm really confused as i've seen the boxes on the shelves here at HMV with the text "released on Wednesday" on it. In the Netherlands, once the boxes are on the shelves it basically means its for sale.

Shops in the UK High Street have placement boxes weeks prior to games are released just for promotional reasons.
AFAIK, no proper retail shops has broken the release date yet, maybe smaller independent shops but you would need to check around where you live to see :)

Oh man, I am so tempted to pick this up. If I wasn't blowing way too much on a couple Switches and Zelda and a billion accessories in a few days I'd be all over this. Going to have to contain my hype for a while. Maybe pick up a CE if Best Buy puts em on sale in a few months. With Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Zelda, etc... It's a great time to be a gamer.

Quick question: 4k is cool but what I'm far more curious about is how it looks in HDR...?

Makikou

The digital concept art is better for me, if the images are at least 1080p and I can use them as a laptop wallpaper. The art booklets are so small, that they don't do justice to the art. I'll have to check how it's on tuesday, when some NA players have access to it.

I've been wanting concept art (and soundtracks) to be included in the digital special editions, and it's wonderful it's finally happening.

Cool.

I calculated that the HK game unlocks 19:00 GMT +2 27.2 for me.. not really worth it :(

Oh man, I am so tempted to pick this up. If I wasn't blowing way too much on a couple Switches and Zelda and a billion accessories in a few days I'd be all over this. Going to have to contain my hype for a while. Maybe pick up a CE if Best Buy puts em on sale in a few months. With Nioh, Nier, Horizon, Zelda, etc... It's a great time to be a gamer.

Quick question: 4k is cool but what I'm far more curious about is how it looks in HDR...?

It's incredible, I've seen this game running on a Z9D. Was blown away when they switched it on and off.

It's got a diverse cast and a strong, not overtly sexualised* female lead.

Needless to say, gamer gaters, and the majority of alt-righters on sites like 4chan (especially 4chan, since they mostly hate Playstation anyway), are shitting themselves with rage over it.

In other words, it's controversial only if you're a complete arsehole.

*Which also to me hammers home how stupid the idea of overt sexualisation being either a necessity or inherently bad is, since it's so much down to personal preferences. For my tastes, Aloy is sexy as fuck, and way hotter than any of the girls in games like DoA.

pager99

It's got a diverse cast and a strong, not overtly sexualised* female lead.

Needless to say, gamer gaters, and the majority of alt-righters on sites like 4chan (especially 4chan, since they mostly hate Playstation anyway), are shitting themselves with rage over it.

In other words, it's controversial only if you're a complete arsehole.

*Which also to me hammers home how stupid the idea of overt sexualisation being either a necessity or inherently bad is, since it's so much down to personal preferences. For my tastes, Aloy is sexy as fuck, and way hotter than any of the girls in games like DoA.
I must admit it I find aloy very attractive fantastic character design imo

Anyone in the UK had their Simply Games order dispatched? Mine went from 'in despatch' yesterday to 'authorised' this morning. Was hoping to have it today as they've had it in stock since yesterday.
Mine hasn't been dispatched yet either. The order has just said 'in progress' since yesterday.

I expect they'll send it out on Monday now so I'll receive it on Tuesday. I'm slightly disappointed because I'm off work for a 3 day weekend and now I most likely won't be able to play it during this time.

I did order Final Fantasy XV from Simply Games in the past. That was also a Tuesday release which they dispatched on Friday and I received on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom