• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
gcFLT9Q.jpg

don't know why you posted this without any explaination.

It's some dutch artist or someone who does all these strange scifi future world art things. Nothing to do with Horizon. I think he went on to do the main artwork for NMS. I could be wrong on the latter.

Now that I've finished the game. My score is 9/10. Awesome protagonist and great game. A lot of fun in a large open world sandbox.

and now I can read and watch some video reviews. Etc to find out what people thought.

Also

Buy it. It's a great game and not in anyway a 2.5/5 (IMO of course) but seriously, how anyone can play this and rate it so poorly. Maybe they shouldn't be playing videogames.

Now that I've finished the game. My score is 9/10. Awesome protagonist and great game. A lot of fun in a large open world sandbox.

and now I can read and watch some video reviews. Etc to find out what people thought.

Also

Buy it. It's a great game and not in anyway a 2.5/5 (IMO of course) but seriously, how anyone can play this and rate it so poorly. Maybe they shouldn't be playing videogames.
I'm still pissed.

But what can you do? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether it goes against the overwhelming majority or not.

xviper

Dammit!

the game has not been leaked yet, normally they leak new games 2-3 days before release, and they leak popular games like RE7 and MGS V more than a week before release

how big is the map ? and is it divided like The witcher 3 ?

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Dammit!

the game has not been leaked yet, normally they leak new games 2-3 days before release, and they leak popular games like RE7 and MGS V more than a week before release

Buddy, lots of things leaked, what are you talking about?
You could look the impression thread.

xviper

I'd give a game like Bioshock that score. Should I not be playing video games either?

do you mean Bioshock Infinite ? because i agree, it was a bad game and not a Bioshock game

but if you mean Bioshock 1 then i strongly disagree, the game is a masterpiece and the best FPS campaign after Halo 2

I hope Horizon sells gangbusters, so much so, that it unequivocally shows to these shit stains the rest of the gaming community thinks that they are nothing but irrelevant dinosaurs.
Any big metaphorical fuck you to hateful, angry losers is a plus in my book

Or they've played enough games to know what they want. This is a childish attitude to have. This thread and it's defenders are getting saltier by the page.
Same can be said those who come into this thread, make annoying useless comparisons or post that screams no research whatsoever and bail the fuck out when their shit is called out. Not just in this thread mind you. The horizon accolades trailer exhibit someone of such behaviour.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So Amazon shows that my game should be shipped on the 24th (today), but I haven't received any confirmation that it has shipped. I hate Best Buy and all of you cheaters who are getting their copies early :(

VanWinkle

Dammit!

From what I've seen/heard, it's considered big, but certainly not in the realm of Witcher 3 or anything. And there aren't big bodies of water like Witcher 3.

i mean in my country

Oh, you mean like breaking the street date. "Leaking" generally refers to info, not a physical thing.

atr0cious

Did you read the review?
Yes, i did, they explain their reasoning. I completely disagree with the notion they"shouldn't be playing video games" if they didn't like the game. How about Patrick Klepek, should he not play games because he wasn't fellating the game? If you want to hear the reasoning, listen to the latest waypoint podcast. He just finished horizon and doesn't have a switch, so he talks about his feelings on horizon. They have a really great discussion on narratives in games, how that informs the world in even the smallest ways, and internal game systems working together.

xviper

Oh, you mean like breaking the street date. "Leaking" generally refers to info, not a physical thing.

yup, breaking the street date, my bad

it will probably come out tomorrow( i hope )

i noticed that all i see is the bow, is their a weapons variety or is it the same problem as The witcher 3 ?? W3 had only swords which was weird

PepperedHam

It's some dutch artist or someone who does all these strange scifi future world art things. Nothing to do with Horizon. I think he went on to do the main artwork for NMS. I could be wrong on the latter.
I've been kind of confused too haha. I have a bad history of stumbling into a thread right as something is spoiled so seeing that image I almost died.

Even hearing that it's completely unrelated I can't help but think it's in reference to something they know about the game considering there was really no context for it being posted.

I obsess over pre-release spoilers so I try to dance around threads gracefully, really hoping that really was just them sharing something that reminded them of the game world and not somehow linked to something they know. Would bum me out so much.

Artist name please, this is awesome stuff

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
So Amazon shows that my game should be shipped on the 24th (today), but I haven't received any confirmation that it has shipped. I hate Best Buy and all of you cheaters who are getting their copies early :(
Same. :( I've been waiting for the green line to finally reach the 24th, but it seems like it's gotten itself stuck. Damn you, Amazon! I was secretly hoping on getting my hands on the game early too lol

Read the US gamer review

a curiously myopic review that runs contrary to most reviews with a focus on "grind".

No mention of what makes Horizon different as an open world game - the dinosaurs and no mention of the combats or mechanics or weapons. It makes up a large part of the world; this menagerie of awesome beasts you fight and the mechanics in which you play horizon. Nary a word on this. There's been no other game like this.

Her paragraph about the sidequests about not understanding why aloy would be helping people because she was an outcast; is so stupid. In one of the first or second mission you undertake - Aloy herself talks about this. She was an outcast and no one showed empathy and/or compassion and she's refuses to be like these others ; I remember now, its the sidequest where you find the
guy who hears voices
. She wants to help because she wants to - nevermind he is an outcast.

"lacking the strong narrative to pull you through or differentiating hook to set the game apart from others in the genre"

Funny then that Horizon's narrative is widely praised. The main quest and its plotline is actually really good and told very well.

Terrible review is terrible.

btw.

this is a good rundown for horizon (IGN video review)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxIRk3q-ck&spfreload=10

yayaba

Same here. I think Amazon's shipping is too good where if they ship it 4 days early they know it'll arrive the next day for some people.

reKon

Banned
Read the US gamer review

a curiously myopic review that runs contrary to most reviews with a focus on "grind".

No mention of what makes Horizon different as an open world game - the dinosaurs and no mention of the combats or mechanics or weapons. It makes up a large part of the world; this menagerie of awesome beasts you fight and the mechanics in which you play horizon. Nary a word on this. There's been no other game like this.

Her paragraph about the sidequests about not understanding why aloy would be helping people because she was an outcast; is so stupid. In one of the first or second mission you undertake - Aloy herself talks about this. She was an outcast and no one showed empathy and/or compassion and she's refuses to be like these others ; I remember now, its the sidequest where you find the
guy who hears voices

"lacking the strong narrative to pull you through or differentiating hook to set the game apart from others in the genre"

Funny then that Horizon's narrative is widely praised. The main quest and its plotline is actually really good and told very well.

It wasn't a good review at all, but you know the default is for arrogant gamers to accuse anyone critical of a obviously shit review of being a fanboy. I don't knock her for having issues with the game. Her review was legitimately poor and doesn't primarily address any of the games strengths other than the visuals. It doesn't give me any good insight to the game play, which is one of the strengths this has against other major action RPGs that have been released to date.

Maybe she just wasn't the proper person to review if she doesn't like the genre. That's of no help for people who are long time fans of the genre. This is not a perspective issue at all. As I've said, I didn't get anything insightful from that review, lol...

autoduelist

Or they've played enough games to know what they want. This is a childish attitude to have. This thread and it's defenders are getting saltier by the page.

Reviews aren't just about what the reviewer wants. They're meant to be a buyer's resource, and every reviewer knows that. As such, a high caliber game that just 'isn't the reviewers cup of tea', as you suggest, shouldn't be panned... the reviewer should either not review it, leaving it for someone else, or note that while they may not have liked it, it'll likely be great for those who do like them. For example, I hate platformers with all my heart, but I know a good one from a bad one, and I wouldn't give a great one a bad review just because I don't like it... I'd know quality when I see it.

Floody

Absolutely. And the only reason it'd get a score that high is because I adore the setting.

I miiiiiight give it a 6 on a good day.

Did you play it later or when it released? Going back after it being out for years I can see that maybe, it didn't age super well, but for it's time I thought 1 was a great playing game and had a great story (well half-75% great, kinda falls apart a bit towards the end) and setting is just one of the best ever.

LotusHD

Banned

Also

Ehh...

atr0cious

Read the US gamer review

guy who hears voices

I'm sorry, but appealing to the masses is not really how to make a case. All I'm reading is, "they don't like what I like, therefore bad." Well sure, you can do that, dismiss them and never read their stuff again; they will become a barometer for what you would like. I disagreed with Ebert on many movies but I didn't then try to discredit him for not liking it. Again, listen to the podcast I linked earlier, they have very similar feelings, and have a great healthy conversation about the narrative. Also dinosaurs, while awesome, isn't really something that automatically means it's great. Monster hunter has more variety in every department, mechanics, weapon options, armor, monsters has been awhile for a bit. Some people have played so many games, they've had their fill, and/or know what they want in these types of games.

Reviews aren't just about what the reviewer wants. They're meant to be a buyer's resource, and every reviewer knows that. As such, a high caliber game that just 'isn't the reviewers cup of tea', as you suggest, shouldn't be panned... the reviewer should either not review it, leaving it for someone else, or note that while they may not have liked it, it'll likely be great for those who do like them. For example, I hate platformers with all my heart, but I know a good one from a bad one, and I wouldn't give a great one a bad review just because I don't like it... I'd know quality when I see it.
This is starting to sound like the old objective review a certain group always cried for. Let's not start with this attitude.

Did you play it later or when it released? Going back after it being out for years I can see that maybe, it didn't age super well, but for it's time I thought 1 was a great playing game and had a great story (well half-75% great, kinda falls apart a bit towards the end) and setting is just one of the best ever.

I played it at launch. I loved the opening and the first two or three hours beyond it, but the game became a real drag for me after that. A couple of the story beats later on were cool, at least.

So if I play a game/see a movie/watch a tv show/read a book and I dont like it, regardless of how well-put-together it is, I should give it a good rating anyway? Because other people agree it's great?

atr0cious

If you've played it's previous entries, you might not have been so enamoured, especially with the gameplay.

I'm sorry, but appealing to the masses is not really how to make a case. All I'm reading is, "they don't like what I like, therefore bad." Well sure, you can do that, dismiss them and never read their stuff again; they will become a barometer for what you would like. I disagreed with Ebert on many movies but I didn't then try to discredit him for not liking it. Again, listen to the podcast I linked earlier, they have very similar feelings, and have a great healthy conversation about the narrative. Also dinosaurs, while awesome, isn't really something that automatically means it's great. Monster hunter has more variety in every department, mechanics, weapon options, armor, monsters has been awhile for a bit. Some people have played so many games, they've had their fill, and/or know what they want in these types of games.

when she's writing how she enjoyed climbing a tallneck and goes back to it. Climbing a tall neck literally = jump on it and climb up in 1 minute. And there's 5 or so in the game. It hardly so good you'd revisit. Combat? Not even a paragraph.

She's a terrible reviewer. That's my review of her review. As someone who's finished the game.

Anyhow - I just wanted to read this really bad review now (as so many people had focused on it) that I've finished the game and I can hardly agree with that cruddy writeup.

IGN's review was very good and informative (not spoilery) and I'd go with this as a good benchmark of what you'll get out of Horizon as a gamer.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Same here. I think Amazon's shipping is too good where if they ship it 4 days early they know it'll arrive the next day for some people.

That was what I was banking on. On multiple occasions I've received games earlier than the street date.

atr0cious

when she's writing how she enjoyed climbing a tallneck and goes back to it. Climbing a tall neck literally = jump on it and climb up in 1 minute. And there's 5 or so in the game. It hardly so good you'd revisit. Combat? Not even a paragraph.

She's a terrible reviewer. That's my review of her review. As someone who's finished the game.

Anyhow

IGN's review was very good and informative (not spoilery) and I'd go with this as a good benchmark of what you'll get out of Horizon as a gamer.

I love how this forum goes from hating to loving IGN depending on the moment.

Patapwn

Read the US gamer review

guy who hears voices

btw.

this is a good rundown for horizon (IGN video review)

I joined the spectrum and did a review of a review on this aswell http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230685984&postcount=4348

It's also looking more likely that the usgamer review is going to keep the game from a 90 on metacritic. Well, unless Edge of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom