• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What's with the controversy about this game? GameFAQs and Reddit have some people on fire about identity politics in this game,calling this game anti-white male (supposedly all bad men are white) Ultra feminism.

wish that more big budget AAA games with massive marketing budgets would do this

Gudji

Yesterday 3 reviews of 100/100 got added but nothing changed. Wish it would get to 90 at least, would be good for GG.

Wollan

New review from Birth Movies Death: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/02/25/horizon-zero-dawn-game-review-a-world-worth-fighting-for

I was so ready to hate Horizon: Zero Dawn. Though an original property, its status as yet another open-world action game in the Arkham/Assassin's/Mordor mould - not to mention its seemingly randomly-generated title - made me groan with dread. ”Hooray," I didn't think. More climbing up towers to unlock an increasingly cluttered map; more taking out enemy camps to unlock fast-travel points; more crafting ever more-capacious pouches, expanding skill trees, and collecting scrap. This was Sony's next big PlayStation exclusive? A post-apocalyptic Far Cry clone? Really?

I was right, and yet I was so wrong. Horizon: Zero Dawn indeed follows the same tiresome structure of other recent open-world games, yet does neat things to freshen up almost everything within, while telling a story that pushes it well above the pack. The result: a dazzlingly imaginative role-playing game more akin to a Witcher than an Assassin's Creed, full of genuine surprises. Even the fucking title makes sense.* Who knew?

Horizon Zero Dawn is not just a great game - it's straight-up great science fiction.

Funny read.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yesterday 3 reviews of 100/100 got added but nothing changed. Wish it would get to 90 at least, would be good for GG.

yeah, the employees likely have bonuses in their contracts for 90 - would be good to see them rewarded for this

New review from Birth Movies Death: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/02/25/horizon-zero-dawn-game-review-a-world-worth-fighting-for

"Horizon Zero Dawn is not just a great game - it's straight-up great science fiction."
"Even the fucking title makes sense"

Funny read.
I was so ready to hate Horizon: Zero Dawn. Though an original property, its status as yet another open-world action game in the Arkham/Assassin’s/Mordor mould - not to mention its seemingly randomly-generated title - made me groan with dread. “Hooray,” I didn’t think. More climbing up towers to unlock an increasingly cluttered map; more taking out enemy camps to unlock fast-travel points; more crafting ever more-capacious pouches, expanding skill trees, and collecting scrap. This was Sony’s next big PlayStation exclusive? A post-apocalyptic Far Cry clone? Really?

I was right, and yet I was so wrong. Horizon: Zero Dawn indeed follows the same tiresome structure of other recent open-world games, yet does neat things to freshen up almost everything within, while telling a story that pushes it well above the pack. The result: a dazzlingly imaginative role-playing game more akin to a Witcher than an Assassin’s Creed, full of genuine surprises. Even the fucking title makes sense.* Who knew?

Tyaren

Saturn/Mediamarkt?

I saw them making room on the shelfs yesterday, here in the Netherlands. Might have to check it out today.

What store are you talking about? :)

I pre-ordered at a Gamestop but I don't think they will give it out early :/

No, it's not one of the big chains. They usually don't give out games early even though they already have them. I got it from a small video game store in my city. I always get games a couple of days early there. I'm wary to name it publicly to not get them in trouble. :/

The Limited Edition is really beautifully packaged by the way and the steelbook is very pretty too. The art book however is a bit thin, I have to say. Some great designs of the different tribes are in there. Can't wait to discover them in the game.

By the way, here's a photomode shot that I took in this beauty:

32950961712_cd4aa8f0f1_o.png

Visually it really is Uncharted 4 on an open world scale.

Does anyone have the collector's edition? I only care about the statue and while I've seen press video online I'm wondering how the quality control is for us normies.

Unknown?

Why does OpenCritic have so many less reviews than Metacritic? I thought they were supposed to be, ya know, "open". Seems kinda lame that they are either that slow or that stringent on what they allow on their site.

Looking at Meta, man... That USGamer review is so trash! I can respect someone if they just don't like the game but can't respect that review.

Loudninja

I was so ready to hate Horizon: Zero Dawn. Though an original property, its status as yet another open-world action game in the Arkham/Assassin's/Mordor mould - not to mention its seemingly randomly-generated title - made me groan with dread. ”Hooray," I didn't think. More climbing up towers to unlock an increasingly cluttered map; more taking out enemy camps to unlock fast-travel points; more crafting ever more-capacious pouches, expanding skill trees, and collecting scrap. This was Sony's next big PlayStation exclusive? A post-apocalyptic Far Cry clone? Really?

I was right, and yet I was so wrong. Horizon: Zero Dawn indeed follows the same tiresome structure of other recent open-world games, yet does neat things to freshen up almost everything within, while telling a story that pushes it well above the pack. The result: a dazzlingly imaginative role-playing game more akin to a Witcher than an Assassin's Creed, full of genuine surprises. Even the fucking title makes sense.* Who knew?

Horizon Zero Dawn is not just a great game - it's straight-up great science fiction.

Funny read.
This is actually a really good review.
Guerrilla Games' first foray into open-world game design is an explosion of ideas, staking a claim on the genre in ways that hopefully will force its competitors out of stagnation. For the first time in ages, an open-world game gave me the thrill of combat and the wonder of discovery. It's a real feather in Sony's cap, and the only game in recent memory that's kept me up until 5 A.M. on the regular. Horizon: Zero Dawn is not just a great game - it's straight-up great science fiction. I pray we'll see this much inventiveness and imagination in the inevitable sequel.

Spoiler on a few side quests btw.

13ruce

Banned
What's with the controversy about this game? GameFAQs and Reddit have some people on fire about identity politics in this game,calling this game anti-white male (supposedly all bad men are white) Ultra feminism.

Is this another Mad Max scenario where in the end everything was overblown? (after the movie finished I was like Travolta.gif - fucking great movie)

It's Gamefaqs no one should take that place seriously it's filled with trolls.

With reddit it depends on wich subreddit you are honestly. There are honest good ones and there are bad ones.

Elandyll

Banned
Why does OpenCritic have so many less reviews than Metacritic? I thought they were supposed to be, ya know, "open". Seems kinda lame that they are either that slow or that stringent on what they allow on their site.

Looking at Meta, man... That USGamer review is so trash! I can respect someone if they just don't like the game but can't respect that review.

It's her opinion man, don't be like that.

It does end up taking out .5 out of the MC or close (depending on how weighted it is), but in the end it' s not her job to worry about the MC.

I just hope that the GG dev team wasn't expecting a Bonus that was tied to a 90, because that would suck (haven't heard anything like that though).

It does end up taking out .5 out of the MC or close (depending on how weighted it is), but in the end it' s not her job to worry about the MC.

I just hope that the GG dev team wasn't expecting a Bonus that was tied to a 90, because that would suck (haven't heard anything like that though).

For how happy everyone at Guerrilla and Sony were, I don't think that's the case here.

Unknown?

I respect that she doesn't like it as it's her opinion, not her review. The review wasn't good, it's that simple. I have all the right to have opinions on reviews. As for her opinion, I know not everyone will like a game even if it has a 99 meta score.

I was so ready to hate Horizon: Zero Dawn. Though an original property, its status as yet another open-world action game in the Arkham/Assassin’s/Mordor mould - not to mention its seemingly randomly-generated title - made me groan with dread. “Hooray,” I didn’t think. More climbing up towers to unlock an increasingly cluttered map; more taking out enemy camps to unlock fast-travel points; more crafting ever more-capacious pouches, expanding skill trees, and collecting scrap. This was Sony’s next big PlayStation exclusive? A post-apocalyptic Far Cry clone? Really?

I was right, and yet I was so wrong. Horizon: Zero Dawn indeed follows the same tiresome structure of other recent open-world games, yet does neat things to freshen up almost everything within, while telling a story that pushes it well above the pack. The result: a dazzlingly imaginative role-playing game more akin to a Witcher than an Assassin’s Creed, full of genuine surprises. Even the fucking title makes sense.* Who knew?

Funny read.

ha!, great read lol

Loudninja

Some quotes from the Edge Review

Edge liked Aloy calling her an enchanting protagonist, the world calling it beguiling, "grin inducing combat" and the narrative claiming it steers clear of rote sci-fi. While criticising voice acting on side quests, the tone of dialogue in places and some sloggish boss battles towards the end.

"Guerilla's vision for an open world action RPG never imposes on your time or runs out of fresh ideas. Horizon emerges as a graceful, intoxicating and often surprising adventure"
Seems like there is a lot to like about each new character in this game. However human on human combat lacks the dynamism of fighting robots. Fortunately opportunities arise to turn robots on human enemies or visa versa.

Dynomutt

HZD proves it's is all about execution. Sci-fi has been done and done again it is really about the X's and O's and Guerrilla really did a awesome job on this one.

The Koalition Review - 95%

All of the hype surrounding Horizon has been completely justified. This is not only a must-own PlayStation 4 game, it is a title that cements Guerrilla Games' place among the pantheon of elite AAA developers. Horizon Zero Dawn is an unrivaled masterpiece.

Graphically speaking, Horizon Zero Dawn is without a doubt one of the best looking open-world titles ever created. Guerrilla Games is known for producing exceptional looking games, but the studio has truly outdone itself this time. Everything from the terrain to the beings that inhabit it is rendered in magnificent detail. Dynamic weather, lighting effects, and a full day/night cycle also contribute to the visual excellence on display.

More than any other game, Horizon Zero Dawn takes full advantage of the PlayStation 4 Pro. The game is displayed in full 4K resolution thanks to the PS4 Pro's checkerboard rendering. Horizon may not technically be a native 4K game, but you'll have a hard time realizing that. Those with 4K HDR-enabled televisions will enjoy the full graphical splendor that Horizon has to offer. But folks with 1080p TVs will still be treated to the best looking console game ever released.

While the game's graphics are certainly a big selling point, it is Horizon‘s story that makes it truly special. The way the characters and the world evolve as the game progresses are immensely satisfying. The main story unravels in a masterful way, and by the end, most of its mysteries are fully answered.

sackninja

So because of that 50 horizon won't get a 90. Got damn so close

It is worth noting that it isn't entirely impossible for it to get to ninety. Uncharted 4 has over 110 reviews, there could be another 25 reviews for this. If the majority are nines and tens it could happen just extremely unlikely.

Melchiah

Cool.

I calculated that the HK game unlocks 19:00 GMT +2 27.2 for me.. not really worth it :(

I'd actually get the digital sooner, since it's unlocked at midnight between tuesday and wednesday. It's also 3€ cheaper, but I kinda want the steelbook. Decisions, decisions.

Unknown?

It is worth noting that it isn't entirely impossible for it to get to ninety. Uncharted 4 has over 110 reviews, there could be another 25 reviews for this. If the majority are nines and tens it could happen just extremely unlikely.
OpenCritic probably would be at 90 if they didn't have 18 less reviews. I don't think it'll be that much more though on Meta because all of the big ones are in.

Wollan

The full EDGE review conclusion:
Conclusion of the Horizon Zero Dawn review :

"Horizon: Zero Dawn is an enormous, ambitious curveball from the studio behind the promising but perennially flawed Killzone series. In Aloy, the game introduces an enchanting protagonist and sets her on a remarkable adventure that steers clear of rote sci-fi. It takes place in one of the most beguiling game worlds in recent memory, and the whole thing is paced with the kind of deep, grin-inducing combat befitting a dedicated brawler. While the dialogue doesn't always strike the right tone, and some ill-judged boss battles later on can feel more like a slog than pleasure, Guerrillas vision for an open world RPG never imposes on your time or runs out of fresh ideas. Horizon emerges as a graceful, intoxicating and often surprising adventure"
Score: 9

Also, as much as I think the USGamer review is poorly written, even if it was passed to another reviewer within the USGamer circle, Kat Bailey has said she pretty much shares the same opinion as the reviewer for Horizon and given she's the EiC, it would had gotten a 5 anyway.

It's fun to see if Horizon could crack 89, but I also don't think it's good to harp so much on that single review. It's not the sole middling review for Horizon, and to varying degrees there are a few folks who are down on Horizon in general, even if vast majority disagrees with them.

Unknown?

Just noticed BOTH PS4 versions are out of stock on Amazon US. Uncharted will have more stock on March 3rd and COD ships in 3-4 weeks. Perfect time for Sony to announce a replacement Horizon bundle... ;)

N.Domixis

Banned
I thinks it's time for a new standard in reviews. What about a website that takes all reviews as they are from meta critic and you drop the lowest score? Could be called BetaCritic. Better critic

i'm aching for a new open-world game on my PS4 but i still can't get excited for this :/

the caveman/woman aesthetic mixed with robodinos puts me off too much for some reason. seems overly silly, yet it's apparently supposed to be serious sci-fi..? i'm not feeling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom