• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those likes though. The dislikes are minor.

I think in general the unique really low point in Horizon is combat against humans because you do it quite often, other than that it doesn't seem to impact the game in any meaningful way (maybe the spear and melee variety).
I understand why they are implemented this way though, they probably wanted to make machines the star of the game, settle that for the first game. It could be something to be greatly improved in the next one.

Dahaka

Uh, not going to get this today if animations and stuff is going to get patched next week. Better wait for the full experience.

X-Frame

I read that Monday is the embargo date for Gameplay .. what does that mean exactly?

Reviewers have gameplay in their review videos. Is this something like on Monday they'll be able to have longer chunks of unedited gameplay?

Tigress

i'm aching for a new open-world game on my PS4 but i still can't get excited for this :/

the caveman/woman aesthetic mixed with robodinos puts me off too much for some reason. seems overly silly, yet it's apparently supposed to be serious sci-fi..? i'm not feeling it.

And yet, for me it's the biggest reason I got excited for it.. hunting robot dinosaurs with a bow and arrow... that premise in itself was exciting to me (and it looked very monster hunterish at the reveal).

Humdinger

Wow, just got a chance to read through the review snippets. I'm so happy that Guerilla Games nailed it. And in my favorite genre, no less.

"Horizon Zero Dawn is Guerrilla Games' best effort, one of the PS4's greatest games, and the best game ever crafted from the ground up for the platform."

Got mine ordered. I won't be able to play it right away, but it sounds like a must-buy.

i'm aching for a new open-world game on my PS4 but i still can't get excited for this :/

the caveman/woman aesthetic mixed with robodinos puts me off too much for some reason. seems overly silly, yet it's apparently supposed to be serious sci-fi..? i'm not feeling it.
Silly or serious has everything to do with how the concept is handled, not the concept itself

Sci-fi is full of weird off-the-wall concepts played straight to great effect. It's all in the execution.

I still don't get the "this concept is too silly to take serious" thing.

These are video games.......
Makes me wonder how much sci-fi they read or watch. Post apocalypse setting where humanity has returned to simpler civilization among the mysterious ruins of the old is not some obscure concept

BumRush

Man, I actually think the combination of cavemen/women and clearly futuristic robot dinosaurs is incredible and intriguing, not silly. If you look at 90% of games, the "concept" of the game can appear silly on paper.

You know I've seen you in many horizon threads going on about how horizon's concept is dumb. And everytime people respond to you the same way they're responding right now. Maybe it's time to take a hint and move on

Makai

I don't understand how this looks so good. A GAME IS NOT SUPPOSED TO LOOK THIS GOOD.

7d09948e_o.png
Cool!

Man, I actually think the combination of cavemen/women and clearly futuristic robot dinosaurs is incredible and intriguing, not silly. If you look at 90% of games, the "concept" of the game can appear silly on paper.
A lot of stories that play with this concept do it in modern day or more futuristic settings

Assassins Creed, Homeworld, Halo, Mass Effect, Jak and Daxter all have variants of the same story as Horizon. The technology of an ancient more advanced civilization/race, that seems mystical/alien/light years ahead of the less advanced current civilization

If you can accept the Forerunners, the Progenitors, the Ones Who Came Before, The Precursors, then Horizon should be easy to grasp. We are the Ones Who Came Before in Horizon

I definitely did not have high expectations for this game so I'm pretty happy it looks nd sounds good, especially the story.

I just wish the human combat looked better because those hit reactuons are some serious dookie. Which is a shame excuse that was like the best part of Killzone 2.

I definitely did not have high expectations for this game so I'm pretty happy it looks nd sounds good, especially the story.

I just wish the human combat looked better because those hit reactuons are some serious dookie. Which is a shame excuse that was like the best part of Killzone 2.
There's always improvements for the sequel

BumRush

A lot of stories that play with this concept do it in modern day or more futuristic settings

Assassins Creed, Homeworld, Halo, Mass Effect, Jak and Daxter all have variants of the same story as Horizon. The technology of an ancient more advanced civilization/race, that seems mystical/alien/light years ahead of the less advanced current civilization

If you can accept the Forerunners, the Progenitors, the Ones Who Came Before, The Precursors, then Horizon should be easy to grasp. We are the Ones Who Came Before in Horizon

Exactly

Deku Tree

This game should really have a 60fps mode on PS4 Pro I think. Actually I think all Pro games should have a 60fps mode or a high FPS mode at least.

JayB1920

I read that Monday is the embargo date for Gameplay .. what does that mean exactly?

Reviewers have gameplay in their review videos. Is this something like on Monday they'll be able to have longer chunks of unedited gameplay?

Basically they were limited to certain ssctions or premade footage to show in video reviews as far as I know. Monday is when people can start showing pretty much anything.

ClearData

Edge scored Horizon as a 9. I just saw that in the cover reveal thread for the new issue. Zelda BOTW earned a 10 and Nioh a 9. It's an amazing few months for great games. :D

Skeeter49

Sony usually sets 2 embargo's, when they're review embargo is so early. The first is for the reviews, and the second is for gameplay, so people can't post spoilers, and ruin some of the better parts of the game. It's partly for reviewers, but it's also for the YouTube letsplayers and people who makes guides, who Sony gives copies as well. This also allows reviewers the ability to stream, show off the first hour or whatever, etc.

What the reviewers show in their review is footage given by Sony, it's why reviews have similar footage captured, it's not what they captured.

silva1991

Yeah Nioh isn't a strong argument for any game to run at 60fps.

One is linear and outdated late PS3 game visually and the other is huge open world with one of if not the best graphics out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom