• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Probably not since it doesn't seem like it'll be ready in time BUT the full breakdown isn't going to be focused on frame-rate so it won't matter.

I'll do a third video for the performance patch.

I wouldn't get too excited for it as it likely just means an un-capped frame-rate. The 4K mode is still likely going to be the best way to play.
Yeah but its cool to have those options.

So basically another typical Ubisoft game with robots this time. The destructoid review really brought me down to Earth - because i don't want to do any of that stuff again. Ive done it enough in other games.

...so, is it one review that echo's your concerns or is that enough? :/

All the Witcher comparisons are reminding me about how every Witcher thread here is like 50% talking about how bad the "gameplay" / combat is. I wonder if this will end up being similar.

It's not the combat that's being compared to that game. By all accounts, the combat in Horizon is leagues better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pretty good game, huh.

I'm gonna get it, but it won't be at release. Gotta prioritize dat Zelda, can't have two massive games like that going at the same time.

Brix

When i hear people saying Horizon quest writing, world building and character personality details are equal to the Witcher 3 quality, i say that is simply not true.

It's really nothing more than that.

People have different opinions brah.

So the consensus seems to be that it is a traditional open world but executed really well with some fun combat, a cool setting, and a lot of polish? Sounds nice. I'm glad that this generation has been moving the open world genre forward, with The Witcher 3, MGSV, and now this buckling the conventional wisdom of what you can do with the genre's storytelling, gameplay, and setting. With this and Zelda not that far away from each other, the genre is in good health.

Gudji

When i hear people saying Horizon quest writing, world building and character personality details are equal to the Witcher 3 quality, i say that is simply not true.

Witcher 3 is so fucking overrated. The game is good but some of you talk of it like it could do no wrong. It's like all the quests, all the dialogue, all the VA is fucking amazing in the witcher 3 (which it isn't). Maybe I have to install the game again and get the "pan" for the old lady... amazing quest.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
ooooooh just saw this. Looking forward to the photo thread.

vKPz6n1.jpg

Game's really surpassed expectations.

b0uncyfr0

LMAO, lets find the most negative review and go with that. Maybe read the reviews bro, this is flat wrong.

EDIT: Need coffee. Meant to say the fact that none of the reviews mentions its similarity to the ubisoft pattern is troubling. Granted i haven't read al the reviews but still suspcious.

vivekTO

But... Have you played the Horizon!!! I mean this discussion could be held in OT thread.
No??

I'm getting more interested in this game as time goes on but that USGamer review seemed to confirm all of my fears regarding the game. As an RPG fan I'm picky about what I like and want in my RPGs, and story is a big factor. Of course, the majority of reviewers either have a child's understanding of narrative complexity or simply don't care about story that much. I picked up FFXV based on its good reviews and boy was that a mistake. With Mass Effect around the corner I might hold off on this game until a discount.

Is this a troll post .
So only USgamer have a understanding of narrative complexity or care about story .
There over 60 review with some saying the story is good or at least okay .

About the mission comparisons to Witcher 3: I find the missions in The Witcher 3 a bit better.

However, the gameplay of Horizon is better.

So it evens out.

Just my two cents.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
It's not the combat that's being compared to that game. By all accounts, the combat in Horizon is leagues better.

Hopefully. My mind will hurt less in the future if "winner of 5000 game of the year awards" stat isn't paired with "the gameplay sucks"

I dunno, I just watched IGN's video review and they pretty much said exactly that.

Yeah, reviewers said so many things. Remember that even DA Inquisition got 89 in Metacritic.

Fun factor in open world games is such a hard 'standard' to set. While one enjoy it in a game, others may not think so.

bigol

Well formed opinion for someone who hasnt played the game.

I watched hours of people playing it,the 30 minutes previews, the 3/4 hours streams that were quite late game and i saw the gameplay loop didn't quite change compared to the 30 minutes previews. I know what the cauldrons are (not that special), i know the simplistic puzzles in them,i read some level headed impressions in spoiler thread (not the overly excited ones), i have the feeling i know everything i need to form my opinion on the game.

oti

Banned
I'm still not a big fan of the Ubisoft formula but reading that the world feels great and that the story is interesting makes this a 100% purchase for me. Whenever I'm done with Zelda.

yeah true. Again I dont mean to critize Zelda, Im a huge fan and I am looking forward to it. Like I said, its more that Horizon took all my attention all of a sudden and I didnt expect that.

That's GREAT!
The fact that Horizon accomplished that in the face of the long-awaited new Zelda game speaks for it louder than any review score could.

I'm still not a big fan of the Ubisoft formula but reading that the world feels great and that the story is interesting makes this a 100% purchase for me. Whenever I'm done with Zelda.

That's GREAT!
The fact that Horizon accomplished that in the face of the long-awaited new Zelda game speaks for it louder than any review score could.

This is one of the only times that the 'Ubisoft-formula' didn't irritate me but instead felt like it fit well with the game. I think it has to do with variation in surroundings, the breathing gameworld and the exciting gameplay.

black070

I watched hours of people playing it,the 30 minutes previews, the 3/4 hours streams that were quite late game and i saw the gameplay loop didn't quite change compared to the 30 minutes previews. I know what the cauldrons are (not that special), i know the simplistic puzzles in them,i read some level headed impressions in spoiler thread (not the overly excited ones), i have the feeling i know everything i need to form my opinion on the game.

Except for how fun it is to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom