• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched hours of people playing it,the 30 minutes previews, the 3/4 hours streams that were quite late game and i saw the gameplay loop didn't quite change compared to the 30 minutes previews. I know what the cauldrons are (not that special), i know the simplistic puzzles in them,i read some level headed impressions in spoiler thread (not the overly excited ones), i have the feeling i know everything i need to form my opinion on the game.

Except it's not a movie and you didn't play the game.

wig

People forget that execution is probably the most important thing in games, in any media or enterainment form.

That's why, on paper, The Last of Us is generic as hell, but when you play it, you know it's damn special.

Great reception from the gaming press, well done Guerrilla.

The first quarter of this year is stacked and my wallet can only take so much punishment, I just can't shake the feeling that when you take away how amazing the game looks it's still going to play like every other open world game, so for now Horizon you'll have to wait.

I think the gameplay looks good, from what we've seen. But I'm not all that impressed with the graphics. The game has a draw distance of like three feet.

SomTervo

Yes, that is exactly why I compared it with The Witcher 3. A gameworld that really pulls you in. I love games that do that stuff. It takes you away from your own life and you forget you are playing a game.

In terms of raw size, Horizon looks smaller than TW3, but how did it feel to you? TW3's world was so well designed, esp. Velen/Novigrad, I always felt I could literally get lost in it. Like not know where I was and just walk and walk. How does Horizon match up for that sort of vibe?

MavFan619

Banned
Yes the combat is miles ahead of Witcher 3. Aloy feels so much more flexible.
This is something I'm so happy to hear. I'm even one of those weirdos that preferred something like Dragon's Dogma to The Witcher 3, because all that world building and lore, and it ends up with a really boring to play out fight. But inevitably it's all about different preferences, happy to keep hearing Horizon leans on my fun combat preference.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm getting more interested in this game as time goes on but that USGamer review seemed to confirm all of my fears regarding the game. As an RPG fan I'm picky about what I like and want in my RPGs, and story is a big factor. Of course, the majority of reviewers either have a child's understanding of narrative complexity or simply don't care about story that much. I picked up FFXV based on its good reviews and boy was that a mistake. With Mass Effect around the corner I might hold off on this game until a discount.

So the majority of reviewers say that the story is good to great, but you've made up your mind that it isn't based off of the one review that is the least similar to all the rest? That's classic confirmation bias. You expected the story to be a hot mess, so you singled out the worst (and quite frankly the biggest outlier) review to confirm your internalised belief.

Is this a troll post .
So only USgamer have a understanding of narrative complexity or care about story .
There over 60 review with some saying the story is good or at least okay .

Did you read what I said? Where are you getting that from my post? I watched and read a majority of the reviews, especially Easy Allies, the reviewers impression of the story was all over the place. Brandon Jones specifically said it was pretty flat and doesn't pick up til the end. I trust him a lot more when it comes to critiquing video game stories. Other reviewers were all over the place, some echoed the same thoughts others really liked the story. But, considering I don't know these reviewers and many failed to articulate why the story was so good I can't really rely on their judgment.

The USGamer review went in-depth as to what didn't click for them, especially with regards to the story, and that seemed to confirm the fears I've been having about the game.

Peroroncino

Witcher 3 is so fucking overrated. The game is good but some of you talk of it like it could do no wrong. It's like all the quests, all the dialogue, all the VA is fucking amazing in the witcher 3 (which it isn't). Maybe I have to install the game again and get the "pan" for the old lady... amazing quest.

But... you know that quest is filled with satire?

Not to mention it actually gave fans a pretty big hint that they will be meeting later on one of the best characters from Wticher 1.

This quest was amazing and I can't take seriously anybody who thinks otherwise.

Skux

http://www.vg247.com/2017/02/20/hor...had-a-baby-and-it-deserves-to-win-your-heart/

It is The Witcher 3 of post-post-apocalyptic robo-dino adventures; it is the sort of thing Ubisoft will wish you had never seen if it dares to release another time-sucking, glitch-filled Assassin’s Creed.

I know what they mean, but it's not like there are enough post-post-apocalyptic robo-dino open world ARPGs to have a competitive field, so Horizon kinda wins by default as the best one lol

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm still suspicious as to how good the game actually is, I really don't trust Guerilla or what I've seen of the game but I'll give it a shot anyway. The spend $100 get $15 promotion that's about to start makes it easy to dive on in (plus a Persona 5 pre-order).

Did you read what I said? Where are you getting that from my post? I watched and read a majority of the reviews, especially Easy Allies, the reviewers impression of the story was all over the place. Brandon Jones specifically said it was pretty flat and doesn't pick up til the end. I trust him a lot more when it comes to critiquing video game stories. Other reviewers were all over the place, some echoed the same thoughts others really liked the story. But, considering I don't know these reviewers and many failed to articulate why the story was so good I can't really rely on their judgment.

The USGamer review went in-depth as to what didn't click for them, especially with regards to the story, and that seemed to confirm the fears I've been having about the game.

LOL but other reviews state the total opposite, so again why are you clinging to the one outlier? Most reviews are praising the story, writing and characters.

The Pope

Wonder what the heck they do with a sequel. Robo zombies?

All the existing Robots plus 25 new ones. More weapons, improved melee and more fearsome human enemies, improved AI, more organic life...
Ultimately tough they should focus on developing RPG elements - its what people want at the moment from these sort of games. It seems they are on the right path.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
4/5 from The Guardian

On that basis alone Horizon: Zero Dawn falls short of the seminal status to which it so clearly aspires but it's still an immensely playable – and likeable – romp with a core combat mechanic worth the price of purchase alone.
And given a Marvel-style post-credits sequence suggests a sequel is very much in the works, Guerrilla will be given another shot at genuine greatness
. Provided, of course, a real-world apocalypse doesn't Trump their imagined one in the meantime.

SomTervo

People forget that execution is probably the most important thing in games, in any media or enteraining form.

That's why, on paper, The Last of Us is generic as hell, but when you play it, you know it's damn special.

100%.

Execution is all that matters. It sounds like they pulled it off nicely.

BraXzy

Great scores. Lots of crow to be served. Hmm at 89 now - is there any possibilities for 90 meta?

I hope so, that was my prediction :D

Can't wait to hold this in my hands.

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-banner3.jpg

In terms of raw size, Horizon looks smaller than TW3, but how did it feel to you? TW3's world was so well designed, esp. Velen/Novigrad, I always felt I could literally get lost in it. Like not know where I was and just walk and walk. How does Horizon match up for that sort of vibe?

Its difficult to compare, but I felt that the gameworld of Horizon was about the same size as The Witcher 3 (minus Skellige).

And yes you can walk and walk in Horizon, same as in The Witcher 3. Difference is that you will bump into large robots here so except for some 'friendlier' areas you are also sneaking around alot because you don't want to fight a gigantic robot every 15 minutes.

That's the fun thing actually, a lot of the bigger robots arent even part of the story missions, you just bump into them. You can also choose to sneak past them, especially in the beginning you are way too scared to fight them. Then when you get better in the game you want to try it out. These fights can go on for 10, 15 minutes.

It's not a problem that you can sneak past them, it is actually more engrossing this way, it feels realistic.

But about the gameworld, its very varied. Maybe even a bit too varied as the weather/vegetation can switch pretty quickly from area to area, haha, but Im not really serious in calling that a negative point or anything. But compared to the Witcher, which had like, the same weather/temperature kind of area's in the main game world, Horizon is more varied in that regard.

Great reviews!! :)
Happy that a game with robot dinosaurs is so well received. It is like a childhood dream come true. Finally I can play Dino Raiders. ^_^

But is the game now really Open-World or are it made like Witcher 3 in huuuuge segments in a much bigger world?

Are you suggesting the only good narratives are complex ones?

No, but when TLOU is praised as the "Citizen Kane" of gaming when it's a standard zombie character tale (Note, I say this as someone that loved TLOU). I have to question the critical chops of game reviewers when it comes to narrative. Or when a reviewer finds the main quest in TW3 to be generic.

Lynd7

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't followed this game super closely. Is there much outside of the overworld to do? Like is there some other types of gameplay such as puzzles or something? Or are the main draws the story, quest, combat.

bigol

Happy to see the generally positive reviews. Seems like the story - which was my only real concern with the game - is actually somewhat decent too. ^w^I've seen you posting in several Horizon-related threads now, and I have to ask; why are you so insecure about The Witcher 3?

I was insecure towards Horizon, that's why i am well informed about it. I was considering to buy it or not. I'm generally not so keen towards open world games, The Witcher 3 is an exception.

Anyway i am still waiting for the general consensus after the honeymoon period is over. Dragon Age Inquisition is an 89% game, remember that. Look at how it's described as the worst possible game here on neogaf.

Novocaine

Wow Guerilla killing it. The idea of playing another open world sandbox game doesn't really sound that appealing to me but maybe I should give this a crack anyway.

No, but when TLOU is praised as the "Citizen Kane" of gaming when it's a standard zombie character tale (Note, I say this as someone that loved TLOU). I have to question the critical chops of game reviewers when it comes to narrative. Or when a reviewer finds the main quest in TW3 to be generic.

You don't know what you are talking about. So the godfather is not good because the story is a generic mob take? Plot and story are two different things. A game can have a basic plot and still have amazing writing, story and characters. Execution matters. I dontt think you even know what "Story" means. Most of the best literary works are fairly basic plots.

I was insecure towards Horizon, that's why i am well informed about it. I was considering to buy it or not. I'm generally not so keen towards open world games, The Witcher 3 is an exception.

Anyway i am still waiting for the general consensus after the honeymoon period is over. Dragon Age Inquisition is an 89% game, remember that. Look at how it's described as the worst possible game here on neogaf.

lol. working hard to downplay these scores.

I hope the level design is fun and has some ser semi linear cool paths someone anyone please tellme it's that and just open borimg desk imo of course... Dragon age was sort of open annoying with a mix of some more path open letter was which I found the later to be better. I'm not talking uncharted paths, just good, mission, let else design.

It's not the games or studios fault that reviewers and journalist do say those things. Same as Killzone is Sony's Halo killer, lol.

[/B]

LOL but other reviews state the total opposite, so again why are you clinging to the one outlier? Most reviews are praising the story, writing and characters.

Except, that's not true as I said. Reviewers are all over the place judging the story, some found it and the characters compelling throughout. Others found it stale with static characters until near the end. While even fewer found it outright bad or generic with few narrative highs.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
No way, cause people are telling me it's another Ubisoft game!

No they're telling you that because many of these reviewers aren't saying it's a Ubisoft game, the Russians have hacked them and they're being bribed to say otherwise. It's in the emails. Very suspicious. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom