• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Happy to see the generally positive reviews. Seems like the story - which was my only real concern with the game - is actually somewhat decent too. ^w^
There was no way this was going to review similar or better than Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 set new standards of quality in storytelling, world building and characters while Horizon even being good doesn't reach that quality.

I also continue to find the combat a bit too simplistic and boring. (Prepare the avater quotes).

The world of the Witcher 3 was so engrossing, detailed and well described that even a boring combat couldn't drag it down, while in Horizon i see not enough compelling world building or characters writing to play it till the end that is why i was hoping for a moderately short main quest lenght.

The Eurogamer review echoed my worries about the game.

It's a pity because the enemies design and animations are one of the best (if not the best) in recent RPGs.
I've seen you posting in several Horizon-related threads now, and I have to ask; why are you so insecure about The Witcher 3?

Shaukdotdj

3.5 is the same as a 7/10, how is the reviewer an idiot for giving it 7/10? How is the reviewer also an idiot for enjoying one game more than the other, reviews are the reviewers personal opinion on the game.

eh the reviewer in question was doing nothing but bashing the game on their twitter after they posted the review, the attitude definitely came across like they wish they could have said 3.5 out of 10

Scores are better than I expected! :D Guerrilla Games did an amazing job with its first open world game and its first RPG.
I like USGamer, but its score is really strange. And she thinks there isn't any memorable score in this game? I haven't played it yet, but I think music of trailer was fantastic and it was one of the best scores of this generation.

That's the only thing I can fairly argue against with regards to her review.

Sound: Over the course of my 30-something hours, I don't remember any of the sounds or score. Take that as you will.

Given how memorable the main theme is, it's a bit difficult for me to grasp.

Dascu

Happy to see good reviews. Will probably pick it up at some point after I've played through Zelda and Nier Automata.

myco666

Nice scores. Need to watch bit more footage now since the game conference presentations were bit boring to be honest and didn't really grab my interest.

Some idiot on [nonamesitenotgivingfreepublicity] gave it a 3.5/5
same person gave NMS a 5/5

Ever wish you could fire somebody for being THAT bad at their job? How out of sync with the industry are you at that point?

"Hope this person gets fired because he/she doesn't share the same preferences as me and other people!"

I love review threads.

jonno394

eh the reviewer in question was doing nothing but bashing the game on their twitter after they posted the review, the attitude definitely came across like they wish they could have said 3.5 out of 10

So you're saying that they really wanted to give it like 1.5/5 but couldn't.

Yeah.......

Catvoca

Banned
While the game itself seems to be 9-10 I must admit this thread is merely a 2, as far as GAF drama goes.

What happened. Did we grow up?

Everyone, don't quote this click bait comment. This hack review thread reviewer gave the Horizon:Zero Dawn review thread a 2, did he even read the thread?

ValfarHL

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have a PS4 vs PRO frame-rate analysis video coming in a couple hours for DF. Then, on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll have a full breakdown of the visuals similar to what I did for Uncharted 4.

Will your full breakdown feature the talked about day 1 patch?
I'm really interested in the before and after performance.

TsuWave

Yeah, okay, sure it was.

i appreciate your sarcasm but that isn't just me talking crazy. KZ2 is a universally praised and loved game. you'll notice that even in this thread i'm not alone in the sentiment that it was one of the best console fps ever. it was great.

I dunno if it was shadowfall, a launch ps4 title, that muddied the waters but this narrative that guerrilla games and killzone were always average is not true to reality.

bigol

You do realize that Witcher is pretty much derived from the books.. So the "lore building" you're talking about is pretty much established by the book and not the game itself. Then again, I don't understand why you feel so threatened by this game doing good. It doesn't diminish Witcher's credibility as a game so your cause of concern is baffling.

When i hear people saying Horizon quest writing, world building and character personality details are equal to the Witcher 3 quality, i say that is simply not true.

It's really nothing more than that.

I just can talk about this game over and over and it never gets tired. I think this is the first time I've given a game a 9,5... or perhaps Im forgetting a few titles. If I had reviewed The Witcher 3 I'd given it a 9,5 probably.

I have to say the real star of Horizon Zero Dawn is the gameworld. Its so fantastical, its a mish mash of lots of different influences (Witcher, Far Cry, Red Dead Redemption, The Matrix, Enslaved), and that mix just works to create a unique setting. When you are in this gameworld, it feels like you are in a world that has existed for thousands of years and you are just visiting. It feels lived, like you are a part of something much larger, instead of a world that was created specifically for your adventure.

When i hear people saying Horizon quest writing, world building and character personality details are equal to the Witcher 3 quality, i say that is simply not true.

It's really nothing more than that.

TW3 gameplay is not the same level as horizon...each game does different things. Story is getting a lot of praise. Quite simply you don't know this, Tw3 is great but it's not the sacred cow.

Memento

The best thing about Horizon being great is that it will put Guerrila Games in the spotlight again, which means more Sony love. With Horizon possibly becoming a franchise, Guerrila could ascend to the Sony First Party Trifect together with Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. Which is awesome because these guys deserves it, they are clearly very talented. It will only get better now, with more experiece in the genre and bulding in the good aspects of this first (amazing!) attempt at a new IP!

vaderise

Holy shit at those scores.
I knew this was going to be good but not this good. 10's and 9's everywhere. This looks to be the next big thing for Sony, i'm so glad Sony has a new killer IP.

Loudninja

I just can talk about this game over and over and it never gets tired. I think this is the first time I've given a game a 9,5... or perhaps Im forgetting a few titles. If I had reviewed The Witcher 3 I'd given it a 9,5 probably.

I have to say the real star of Horizon Zero Dawn is the gameworld. Its so fantastical, its a mish mash of lots of different influences (Witcher, Far Cry, Red Dead Redemption, The Matrix, Enslaved), and that mix just works to create a unique setting. When you are in this gameworld, it feels like you are in a world that has existed for thousands of years and you are just visiting. It feels lived, like you are a part of something much larger, instead of a world that was created specifically for your adventure.
I love what I am hearing.

I love what I am hearing.

I really didn't expect to like it so much as I did, especially since most of my hype was going to Zelda and the Switch. Still hyped for that but I do have to say Horizon really took away some of it. As a HUGE Zelda-fan I am actually kinda scared that Breath of the Wild can't live up to Horizon. The game is that good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Will your full breakdown feature the talked about day 1 patch?
I'm really interested in the before and after performance.
Probably not since it doesn't seem like it'll be ready in time BUT the full breakdown isn't going to be focused on frame-rate so it won't matter.

I'll do a third video for the performance patch.

I wouldn't get too excited for it as it likely just means an un-capped frame-rate. The 4K mode is still likely going to be the best way to play.

There was no way this was going to review similar or better than Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 set new standards of quality in storytelling, world building and characters while Horizon even being good doesn't reach that quality.

I also continue to find the combat a bit too simplistic and boring. (Prepare the avater quotes).

The world of the Witcher 3 was so engrossing, detailed and well described that even a boring combat couldn't drag it down, while in Horizon i see not enough compelling world building or characters writing to play it till the end that is why i was hoping for a moderately short main quest lenght.

The Eurogamer review echoed my worries about the game.

It's a pity because the enemies design and animations are one of the best (if not the best) in recent RPGs.

You veer between sounding like you have personal experience and reiterating others' opinions - so have you actually played Horizon?!

Sounds wonderful. Exploring the game world is the thing I'm most excited about in Horizon.

Fat4all

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| Scorpio

giphy.gif

I really didn't expect to like it so much as I did, especially since most of my hype was going to Zelda and the Switch. Still hyped for that but I do have to say Horizon really took away some of it. As a HUGE Zelda-fan I am actually kinda scared that Breath of the Wild can't live up to Horizon. The game is that good.

Wow, that's a really strong compliment towards Horizon. I can't wait to play both.

Really quite taken aback it's reviewed so well. Graphically it looked stunning but I had a few concerns about the gameplay. I'll probably get it at launch now.

SomTervo

Fantastic. That's one of the things The Witcher 3 nailed almost perfectly. Good to hear Horizon is carrying the torch.

I'm getting more interested in this game as time goes on but that USGamer review seemed to confirm all of my fears regarding the game. As an RPG fan I'm picky about what I like and want in my RPGs, and story is a big factor. Of course, the majority of reviewers either have a child's understanding of narrative complexity or simply don't care about story that much. I picked up FFXV based on its good reviews and boy was that a mistake. With Mass Effect around the corner I might hold off on this game until a discount.

b0uncyfr0

So basically another typical Ubisoft game with robots this time. The destructoid review really brought me down to Earth - because i don't want to do any of that stuff again. Ive done it enough in other games.

How many quests have you played in Horizon Zero Dawn?

Why are you gushing over TW3 in an unrelated review thread?

Annoying, dude has a complex.

So basically another typical Ubisoft game with robots this time. The US gamer review really brought me down to Earth - because i don't want to do any of that stuff again. Ive done it enough in other games.

LMAO, lets find the most negative review and go with that. Maybe read the reviews bro, this is flat wrong.

usp84

^I've seen you posting in several Horizon-related threads now, and I have to ask; why are you so insecure about The Witcher 3?

It's amazing really this guy came to thread mentioning the Witcher 3 because reasons.

Imagine if the game actually had a better average score,his world would crumble because of some metacritic number

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
All the Witcher comparisons are reminding me about how every Witcher thread here is like 50% talking about how bad the "gameplay" / combat is. I wonder if this will end up being similar.

oti

Banned

They seem to be going for pretty different things within the open world genre. Some will prefere Horizon, some Zelda.

All is good.
Everybody happy.

Zen Aku

I'm going to bow out of this thread. If I keep reading any of this, it will be too painful to wait till next week. Fantastic job GG. It seems like you really knock it out of the park!

black070

Probably not since it doesn't seem like it'll be ready in time BUT the full breakdown isn't going to be focused on frame-rate so it won't matter.

I'll do a third video for the performance patch.

I wouldn't get too excited for it as it likely just means an un-capped frame-rate. The 4K mode is still likely going to be the best way to play.

Spoiler !

Glad to head the 4K mode runs well. :)

Wow, that's a really strong compliment towards Horizon. I can't wait to play both.

Maybe a bit unfair, I mean I haven't played Zelda more than an hour (on a Switch event and on E3). So its not really a comparison, more of a feeling. All my hype was going to Zelda before playing Horizon and now I just can't stop thinking about Horizon even when Im not playing. And I finished the game already.

Fantastic. That's one of the things The Witcher 3 nailed almost perfectly. Good to hear Horizon is carrying the torch.

Yes, that is exactly why I compared it with The Witcher 3. A gameworld that really pulls you in. I love games that do that stuff. It takes you away from your own life and you forget you are playing a game.

They seem to be going for pretty different things within the open world genre. Some will prefere Horizon, some Zelda.

All is good.
Everybody happy.

yeah true. Again I dont mean to critize Zelda, Im a huge fan and I am looking forward to it. Like I said, its more that Horizon took all my attention all of a sudden and I didnt expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom