• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna pick this up at its Midnight release (9 pm for us West Coasters) and try to to play the fuck out of it before Zelda drops. I haven't had anything to play since Resident Evil 7 and next week I'll have too much to play lol

Disagree, TLOU story was on another level for gaming. How many games even have a good story? Anyway you are derailing. Why are you even bringing this up anway sorry TLOU praise bothers you.

Um, any half-way decent RPG in the past couple decades? Where have you been? How exactly was TLOU a leap forward? Fallout: New Vegas was a greater narrative leap than TLOU.

I'm still a bit nervous about this one. I guess I can't get the "let's climb on top of a robot giraffe a.k.a. tower" out of my head. Ubisoft really burned me with tower climbing to unlock areas, missions and collectibles (WD2 was much better in that regard). But overall the gameplay appears to be good enough, but the story matters the most to me here. How good is it? What's the consensus?

You really need to stop worrying about that. It doesnt feel like a Ubisoft-game at all.

The story is okay in the first half, and got me on the edge of my seat in the second half. Some nice world building in it.

hope

Banned
Wow.Amazing Scores.GG has done it.What was promised has been delivered.Main reason to buy this game was the Story and i am glad it is well done.

Game looks freakin Beautiful.

A new IP is Born.

Um, any half-way decent RPG in the past couple decades? Where have you been? How exactly was TLOU a leap forward? Fallout: New Vegas was a greater narrative leap than TLOU.

Wait a minute, aren't you the same person that like Revenge of the Sith better than The Force Awakens.

And The Last of Us is a masterpiece.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Whelp. Can no longer take anything you have to say about narrative seriously anymore...

Shengar

With some complaint of the game is about the "repetitiveness" of its hunting part, I guess Guerrilla managed to nail the page from hunting action games.

Whelp. Can no longer take anything you have to say about narrative seriously anymore...
Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Can someone who has read reviews or better yet played the game answer one question.
Someone said a few pages back that the game has dungeons.
Is this true? and if so how many? are they good?
I'd rather not read reviews and spoil anything if i do eventually pick this up later on.
thanks!

Conduit

Banned
I just can talk about this game over and over and it never gets tired. I think this is the first time I've given a game a 9,5... or perhaps Im forgetting a few titles. If I had reviewed The Witcher 3 I'd given it a 9,5 probably.

I have to say the real star of Horizon Zero Dawn is the gameworld. Its so fantastical, its a mish mash of lots of different influences (Witcher, Far Cry, Red Dead Redemption, The Matrix, Enslaved), and that mix just works to create a unique setting. When you are in this gameworld, it feels like you are in a world that has existed for thousands of years and you are just visiting. It feels lived, like you are a part of something much larger, instead of a world that was created specifically for your adventure.

I really didn't expect to like it so much as I did, especially since most of my hype was going to Zelda and the Switch. Still hyped for that but I do have to say Horizon really took away some of it. As a HUGE Zelda-fan I am actually kinda scared that Breath of the Wild can't live up to Horizon. The game is that good.

Such an awesome post!

Not a single character in New Vegas is as in depth or well written as Joel and Ellie. Either way agree to disagree, you are derailing. TLOU is masterpiece.

Rurunaki

I hate how this game hides the steelbook behind that Collector's Edition.. I don't want that statue.. I just want the artbook and the steelbook..

Aceofspades

Banned
I don't understand the mentality of "I adore W3 or Zelda, Horizon has to be worse than both..it shouldn't be better at all!"

Why does everything has to be compared to other games?

Horizon being better/worse than those games has zero effect of the brilliance of W3, Zeld or even FC3. You won't magically stop enjoying Zelda because Horizon reviewed better. You should be happy to add another great game to your collection.

The Pope

To be fair we often look at the Witcher 3 as the gold standard for rpg story telling....yet we forget the main quest was relatively generic and nothing riveting. It merely served its purpose. It would be hard for Horizon to beat it. It was how each character was written and the smaller interactions which made TW3 such a fantastic game.
Disclaimer: TW3 is my favourite game of all time tied with the first Dark Souls

But they just nailed it with For Honor? Unless you're just talking about open world titles.

From what I played of the Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta it's a pretty damn good military shooter and a phenomenal co-op sandbox. Like Just Cause 3 meets SOCOM.

Yeah i was talking about open world games. I havent played Wildlands yet, but will try the BETA. To me looks kinda like the Division which i thought was good till endgame stuff.

Necro900

I absolutely did not see this coming, I fully expected a generic fetch quest open world game with an interesting setting, and it's apparently much much more than that.. at the top of the buy list now.

Rizzi

Based on what?

Everything I've seen of combat with human enemies indicates that they're brain dead AI automatons that barely react to the main character's presence, and that melee is literally just mashing the attack button to warp to the enemies.
I'd like to be wrong. Robot dinosaurs are cool.

vaderise

I think what's special about Horizon is it succeeds both being an open world action adventure and a RPG game with actual great gameplay.
I mean like is there any good RPG game besides Dragon's Dogma and SoulsBorne series with actual great gameplay? I can't think of any.

I don't understand the mentality of "I adore W3 or Zelda, Horizon has to be worse than both..it shouldn't be better at all!"

Why does everything has to be compared to other games?

Horizon being better/worse than those games has zero effect of the brilliance of W3, Zeld or even FC3. You won't magically stop enjoying Zelda because Horizon reviewed better. You should be happy to add another great game to your collection.

I do have to say - I usually dont compare games a lot in reviews but Horizon almost FORCES you to compare it to other games because it wears its inspirations on its sleeve.

There were so many times I was thinking "this is like the best bits in The Witcher, the best bits in Enslaved, or the best bits in Red Dead Redemption, or in Far Cry 3", etcetera. The combination of all those different influences creates a new, unique product and it just works.

So I really understand the comparisons, I am making them myself. The beauty of it is that when compared to those classics, Horizon shines just as brightly.

Can someone who has read reviews or better yet played the game answer one question.
Someone said a few pages back that the game has dungeons.
Is this true? and if so how many? are they good?
I'd rather not read reviews and spoil anything if i do eventually pick this up later on.
thanks!

I mentioned that and:
Yes it is true, but they arent as big as say Zelda-dungeons, more like smaller area's. Its not so much filled with puzzles as with enemies and a few environmental puzzles on how to proceed. The dungeons look very different than the rest of the game and thus are cool to do, and they are optional but they do give you some special powers that I won't spoil for you.

Everything I've seen of combat with human enemies indicates that they're brain dead AI automatons that barely react to the main character's presence, and that melee is literally just mashing the attack button to warp to the enemies.

Maybe read some reviews....

Not a single character in New Vegas is as in depth or well written as Joel and Ellie. Either way agree to disagree, you are derailing.

Caesar, Arcade Gannon, The King, Benny, the NCR as a whole. Listen, you're not going to go far trying to make New Vegas look bad. But, I agree is is derailing the thread. Suffice to say that Brandon Jones and the USGamer review went in-depth in speaking about the narrative and their impressions didn't bode well for my interest in the game.

Ubisoft wishes it had created such a beautiful and polished open world... as I said before though, gameplay-wise it is enjoyable but, I feel, quite limited.

But half the joy in open world games is the exploration and discovery of the world, and Guerilla has nailed this down. I think they found the genre that matches best with their assets, imo.

The robos combat is the star of the game.
As some reviews said you don't have to fight to many humans .
Also this is more a TPS and with traps than a melee base game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom