• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towers to climb for a vantage point they expands the map

Meaningless and tedious collectables

Copy paste missions

Spread out interesting content

Dense uninteresting content

There's more. It's just so common that I and others have seen from many open world games, mainly Ubisoft titles.

It's lazy, and it does a disservice to the potential of the game. Holding back, instead of expanding it.

Horizon has none of these issues.

Is it an echo chamber or is it purely the fact that some people really dislike many third person action adventures despite critical acclaim. There are many exceptionally highly rated games of this type that I personally hate, including the latest Tomb Raiders and the Uncharted series. Meanwhile equally, there are exceptional games that are handled differently that I absolutely love, such as the Last of Us and MGS (despite hating the way exposition is handled). HZD looks like it will still fall into the former for me, and things like God of War (2017 I assume) and Last of Us Part 2, will likely be in the latter.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Not really sure what I have done wrong other than express my opinon on games I know I'll likely hate, and those I'll likely love

Not really sure how this post relates to the one in the quotes. That one seems to be about a group of people and this one is about your own personal preferences.

bennibop

Is it an echo chamber or is it purely the fact that some people really dislike many third person action adventures despite critical acclaim. There are many exceptionally highly rated games of this type that I personally hate, including the latest Tomb Raiders and the Uncharted series. Meanwhile equally, there are exceptional games that are handled differently that I absolutely love, such as the Last of Us and MGS (despite hating the way exposition is handled). HZD looks like it will still fall into the former for me, and things like God of War (2017 I assume) and Last of Us Part 2, will likely be in the latter.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Not really sure what I have done wrong other than express my opinon on games I know I'll likely hate, and those I'll likely love

You came across as elitist and a platform snob.

Kayant

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Not really sure what I have done wrong other than express my opinion on games I know I'll likely hate, and those I'll likely love
That would have be fine and reasonable if most of your original post was framed that way but it wasn't. Your main talking points where about that game's marketing and it's release platform than about the game's metrics.

Congrats Guerrilla. Shadowfall fucking SUCKED so it's amazing to see them turn it around with these very positive reviews. I'll check it out.

My name is quoted

Let's see. In the post quoted, your talking about a group of people who are hyped for the game in a fairly elitist manner. To defend this post, the only thing you put forward is that you probably won't enjoy the game.

People aren't laughing at your post because of your opinion, which is fine, it's the rest of it.

QaaQer

Towers to climb for a vantage point they expands the map

Meaningless and tedious collectables

Copy paste missions

Spread out interesting content

Dense uninteresting content

There's more. It's just so common that I and others have seen from many open world games, mainly Ubisoft titles.

It's lazy, and it does a disservice to the potential of the game. Holding back, instead of expanding it.

And it was part of a corporate strategy to pump out big open world games very quickly via this content pipeline. It was all very industrial and corporate, like marvel superhero movies.

That post was crap, don't try to run away from it.

Always a little bizarre to look at these things from the outside in and see it for what it is.

I mean, look at that line. A month before the game is even out. Can you get more condescending than that?

Mosse

Neo Member

I don't think many people would care if you just said you don't like those kind of games. It's more the "game for easily marketed people with only a casual interest in games" and "people falling for the hype to stroke their own ego" that was silly. Both your post in that thread and the ones you agreed with seemed more about talking shit about those excited for the game then shitting on the game itself

sora87

Must admit, I'm still just not sold on this game. With Zelda coming soon too I think i'll hold off and wait until it's price drops.

le.phat

Guerilla's gamble paid off! I hope this bolsters Sony 's willingness to take risks and allow their studios to try out new stuff. Hope these reviews will translate to awesome sales!

ethomaz

Banned
My name is quoted
Your original post is pretty laughable to be fair.

You can have your opinion and it fine but attack why people are hyped about a promising game on a exclusive platform is other. Maybe most gamers have a different taste than you and that is pretty understandable... you need to stop to shit in people tastes even more when you are monitory.

Nameless

Sounds like my type of game from an exploration and open ended, non-scripted gameplay standpoint. Also seems like a stellar engine and technical marvel which bodes well for Death Stranding. WWS doing work.

Undrey

I am so so glad that this turned out well. What even was the last big new IP? Last I remember is TLOU. Though yes, Bloodborne is technically a new IP, I see it more as an extension of the Souls franchise. Really hope this sells well.

Dang it... I have enough games in my backlog!

Hats off to GG. The perfect scores... I really wasn't expecting them. Especially from the big publications. Especially Giant Bomb.

It's pretty funny how this is turning out exactly as the build-up has suggested it should:

1) Shinobi said the game is reviewing well internally.
2) Previews a few weeks ago were glowing.
3) Reviewers received copies weeks in advance.
4) Early impressions here were great.

I think the hours stuff is a bit exaggerated. Main game took me 24 hours. With side missions its probably around 35 to 40 hours. 60 hours is really stretching it imo.

Kthulhu

Why are people still bringing up Ubisoft, it is clear Horizon is much more then a ubisoft copy.

Then you weren;t paying attention.

I saw nothing up until now and the initial reveal that made me think otherwise. Every impression and trailer I saw made it look like a interesting premises with a generic world to explore.

But your reaction makes you sound overly defensive. Not everyone will like Horizon, and those who do may not think it's 10/10 material, and that's totally fine. I want every game to be 10/10 a experience, and every thing I criticize a game for is out of love.

Vuze

Truly awful review thread as always but I'm happy the game turned out to be legit great. I was very worried about the combat in particular. Doesn't sound too bad despite concerns of clunkiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom