• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarburr

Kinda lazy to go through all the reviews so I'll ask it here in hopes someone has the answer.

Are the side quests similar to TW3 in such a way that the side quests expand into this big-ass epic story that spans for 45mins to well over an hour?

My favorite moments in TW3 would really be doing a side quest I thought was simple such as finding the girls missing husband, and next thing you know I'm in the woods following blood trails and there he is, been bitten by a wolf and you gotta kill him.

Everything I've read about the game so far has been amazing. It's just the side quest I'm really hoping for.

It's pretty funny how this is turning out exactly as the build-up has suggested it should:

1) Shinobi said the game is reviewing well internally.
2) Previews a few weeks ago were glowing.
3) Reviewers received copies weeks in advance.
4) Early impressions here were great.
In short, don't doubt Shinobi

Rozart

Guerilla's gamble paid off! I hope this bolsters Sony 's willingness to take risks and allow their studios to try out new stuff. Hope these reviews will translate to awesome sales!

I'm still pretty surprised that it's reviewing so well. I wonder how hard genre switches are for the development teams and if other studios can make the same seemingly seamless transition from one genre to another too.

Nzyme32

You came across as elitist and a platform snob.

One that plays on said platform.......... ok
And is looking forward to other games........ ok

Also I have never posted in this thread till right now. I'm not doing drive by posts or such or fanboying over any platform. It is purely a matter of that type of game within this genre. As I expressed above, there are also other from the genre that I like. To me it seems many of these are less focused on being graphical show pieces and much more about super tight gameplay mechanics or narrative - things I love.

That would have be fine and reasonable if most of your original post was framed that way but it wasn't. Your main talking points where about that game's marketing and it's release platform than about the game's metrics.

And it still is reasonable if you read on to the rest of my posts. As above, this is my first time posting in this thread, and I am judging an extrapolation of what my likely experience would be from what I have read and seen, just as I do the same for God of War and Last of Us part 2 and conclude the opposite - that's my taste and opinion. As above. Sorry to upset you for my opinions

Ok loving TLoU but HATE Unchearted, RotTR?

Not just finding them bad or not up to par but Literraly hate?

Yeah that is sane.

This is wonderfully melodramatic. It is a colloquialism rather than so literal. It's not like I'm having sex with the Last of Us and trying to murder Uncharted. This is getting ridiculous

Your original post is pretty laughable to be fair.

You can have your opinion and it fine but attack why people are hyped about a promising game on a exclusive platform is other. Maybe most gamers have a different taste than you and that is pretty understandable... you need to stop to shit in people tastes even more when you are monitory.

Again - read on, that is not my intention at all. I'm expressing why I do not tend to like those kind of games vs the likes of the Last of Us.

what a demanding boss!

C5GnLM_XUAAKyaa.jpg:large

And he changed it!! What a slave! Hahaha

Lichter

Congrats to Guerrilla Games, but I have to admit that the game still doesn't appeal to me, at all. It feels like a Ubisoft-ish open world game.

Definitely interested of playing this after the great reviews but not sure when I have time since this comes out two days before Zelda. Well maybe I'll start this then and play this always when I take a break from Zelda.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I am happy to be proven wrong about Horizon's scores. I wish others in the thread were as well. You don't have to go out of your way to push a narrative about a game you have not played.

its an open world game that does a lot of the same things other open world games do. Does it really matter as long as the spin Guerrilla put on it is done well? According to reviewers it doesn't

vivekTO

I think the hours stuff is a bit exaggerated. Main game took me 24 hours. With side missions its probably around 35 to 40 hours. 60 hours is really stretching it imo.

But are you including the time you spent in Photomode , i think thats adding 10 hours more for other reviewers :p

I'm glad. That was one of my fears and I'm happy to be wrong.

Feathers in AC2 are everywhere and boring, yet missions are often on opposite sides of the map.

But there are no such feather is this game?? And not any loot box or chest??

DylanEno

How does a game with voice acting and character facial animation that atrocious get a perfect score lol

Eh w/e good to see the PS4 has another winner

Um, any half-way decent RPG in the past couple decades? Where have you been? How exactly was TLOU a leap forward? Fallout: New Vegas was a greater narrative leap than TLOU.

What are you even talking about? What the hell does the TLOU approach to storytelling has to do with an RPG like NVs?

I really wish people would stop judging stories in games in a "0 to Planescape: Torment" scale. Shit's infuriatingly narrow.

Polarburr

Both ND and GG succeeded in bringing new highly praised IPs, now its SP (Sucker Punch) turn

I was actually wanting to start a thread about Sucker Punch. Should they revisit inFamous or go for a new IP given the recent success of Horizon? I really love the lore of inFamous- hope they go back to it one day.

But thats for another thread.

I was actually wanting to start a thread about Sucker Punch. Should they revisit inFamous or go for a new IP given the recent success of Horizon? I really love the lore of inFamous- hope they go back to it one day.

They're working on a new IP, so there goes that discussion. =P

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
And he changed it!! What a slave! Hahaha

Hey, if the bossman tells you to jump you ask "how high?" ;)
Havent followed much of the game's pre release hype but i'll buy it, GG are good people.

Poona

Amazing to see such love for this.

Was grabbed by it from the very beginning with the main character being female and for this to end up becoming such a great title is awesome.

_Clash_

For the sake of my GAF browsing in the next 6 months this review score pleases me. Horizon fans are happy, derivative gameplay awareness types are happy that 90 is still sacred. there's a pretty good blockbuster for Sony fans and more importantly publishers need to continue to improve as derivative gameplay gets the magnifying glass treatment.

Happy gaming folks

Some reviews praise the story and some don't. Kinda funny guy said it's second only to The Last of Us regarding plot coming from first party studios, but for me, I found The Last of Us story to be generic but with good writing. So, I don't get hyped when people say the story is as good as TLOU.

Kthulhu

But are you including the time you spent in Photomode , i think thats adding 10 hours more for other reviewers :p

But there are no such feather is this game?? And not any loot box or chest??

And how am I supposed to know that until the reviews come out?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, great reviews. Really bad result for this game with the huge list of issues it has that makes it bad. Bad!

Gradly

I really liked the neon power in InFamous SS. I just want that in whatever game they are working on

Lemondish

How does a game with voice acting and character facial animation that atrocious get a perfect score lol

Eh w/e good to see the PS4 has another winner

I dunno, but the Witcher managed it, and that game was a slideshow for months with its framerate dips everywhere and had some seriously unresponsive controls until patched. Those were arguably the two worst issues a game could have yet somehow still come out with a perfect score. Gamers can sometimes forgive a lot.

OT: Steelbook collectors edition was already on the way thanks to the (spoiler free) impressions thread. I am ready.

Looks like we got another one...

Happy GG’s first take on open world has turned out this well. Kinda Funny sold me, I’m very much in tune with stuff Colin’s loves.

Midas

I love this! It's so good for the industry that a new IP gets this kind of praise - especially a single player game. Hopefully sales will follow so that more studios and publishers will green light new and exciting ideas rather than to reject them.

Does any one of these reviews come from someone who didn't like Far Cry 3 or 4 ? I need to know how this game compares to these two. I found them to be very superficial and shallow, and yet, they got very high scores. I really want Horizon to be better than them. So it would be very relieving for me to read a positive review from someone who shares my criticisms of the Far Cry games.

Also I have never posted in this thread till right now. I'm not doing drive by posts or such or fanboying over any platform. It is purely a matter of that type of game within this genre. As I expressed above, there are also other from the genre that I like. To me it seems many of these are less focused on being graphical show pieces and much more about super tight gameplay mechanics or narrative - things I love.

In that other thread, you quoted and agreed with another poster who stated the game is going to be mediocre.

You formed this opinion based on what, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom