• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digital Chumps said:
This is a serious contender for Game of the Year in 2017. Zelda and a few others are going to have their hands full in convincing gamers that they have a more complete gaming experience than Horizon Zero Dawn.

The first sentence of their review basically makes their review irrelevant to me. Using fanboy drivel to define the goodness of a game is a great way to lose any hope that you are objective.

Kureransu

It's so funny. I few weeks ago i asked a friend if he was getting this game. He said he was on a wait and see because guerrilla. I said "maybe third person is where Guerrila actually excels, but never had the chance to show it off because Killzone?" Looks like i was right. I wanted this game to do well so bad. Now people just need to buy it. Congrats to Sony and Guerrilla Games on releasing a new, very well fleshed out IP, that does so many things right, with what looks to be nothing phoned it to get by. You deserve the accolades.

Great.

There have been a lot of games that don't distinguish themselves lately in this genre, so it's unsurprising that consumer confidence is low.

Not to mention guerilla games doesn't exactly have the best track record on the market.

A world that has stuff in it worth seeing and exploring.
Generic is far too objective a term for your use of it.

Also GG'S track record is pretty great outside of Shadowfall

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So the impression I get from glossing over some review quotes is that it's largely an amalgamation of existing open world and action RPG design tropes as popularised in titles like Far Cry, The Witcher, and what not, though expressed within admirably contextually relevant narrative and thematic framework that can mostly hold its own, thus elevating familiar concepts to a stage where they are effectively presented as engaging and purposeful. That being said some people won't gel with this particularly vision, more sensitive to the influencing design material, and may feel the gameplay loop and breadth of concepts to explore ultimately outstay their welcome instead of legitimately originating new open world ideas.

I'm just glad this is a game from Guerrilla that is both well received and actually appealing to me. I'm still not getting at launch; too many games for March, Zelda and Mass Effect in particular taking way higher priority. But after watching a fair bit of the game streamed last night my interest was peaked more than I expected and I intend to sink into this adventure eventually, likely benefited with post-launch patches ironing out some of the kinks.

Major props to Guerrilla for having Sony allow them to pry themselves away from over a goddamn decade of Killzone to successfully light a fire of something entirely new under their design belt.

Loudninja

Translated Eurogamer PT review
Horizon not only meets expectations but sets a new quality standard in the genre. It is one of the best games for the PS4.
Horizon is the top exponent of Guerrilla Games and demonstrates the talent hidden in this Dutch studio. Personally, I have not had this much fun in a game in the open world for a long time and want to explore everything it has to offer. Horizon: Zero Dawn has a large, captivating world, a strong character, well-rounded and varied gameplay, and is visually delightful. It is undoubtedly one of the best games for PlayStation 4, a true complete package that uses with mastery the various disciplines that compose the video games to get us raptured.
https://translate.google.com/transl...-horizon-zero-dawn-analise&edit-text=&act=url

The first sentence of their review basically makes their review irrelevant to me. Using fanboy drivel to define the goodness of a game is a great way to lose any hope that you are objective.

Nothing said there is that crazy for you to just dismiss a review...why is the reviewer a fanboy for loving the game and seeing it as a serious GOTY contender? I don;t get it.

Peltz

I was not expecting this game to review so well. It looks like I'll be playing it after all. Congrats to the Guerrilla Games!

Ricker

Looks like its a challenging game,even on normal,you have to craft and always be ready,especially against creatures often in packs, that pounce/jump towards you...sounds good.

Owensboro

I took notice when Jeff Gerstmann gave it a 5/5 and my eyes practically bulged out of my head when I saw Jim Sterling gave it a 9.5/10. Two difficult-to-impress but lovable curmudgeons singing this game's praises? I'd pre-order it right now if I wasn't already spending money on the Switch launch.

Hah, totally in the same boat. I'm shocked both rated it so high, especially after what I assumed was open world fatigue setting in.

Damn it, Zelda, why'd you have to release so close to this game?

MisterP

Banned
Was pretty confident this would be good. It would want to be, I bought my PS4 just before Christmas specifically for this and only this. I haven't even opened the UC4 pack-in.

SgtCobra

You could get TLG for £25 within a month or two of release, UC4 dropped pretty quick too. By the Summer I expect to be able to pick this up for £20 somewhere
Yeah I don't really understand why TLG dropped that relatively quickly compared to other releases, Uncharted 4 is still like 45 euros over here though. If you want to buy second hand then yes 20 euros may be feasible by the summer.
But you're talking about pounds though so I don't really know how the market is over there when it comes to pricing.

Wow Guerilla's perception of mediocrity wiped away just like that. Have to admit I was very skeptical of their ability to create a top tier game, but it looks like I'll be picking this one up. Congrats to them for all these amazing scores, must be a hell of a game.

Busty

Banned
WOW.

I always liked the look of this game so I'm glad it got some great critical feedback too.

Given how ludicrous my current gaming backlog is (Bioshock Infinite is still on there!!!) I look forward to checking out this game a week but before the sun burns itself out.

i will like zelda better but i'm pretty sure that this will be the case.

But what if you don't?

Kayant

Oh I am doing no such thing. We even discussed all this - and I admitted my wording was easy to get confused, check it out:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229378998&postcount=11257
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229382620&postcount=11282

Those posts were all in the Steam thread - all with people that generally know me and what I like, dislike. Follow the above links, we actually discussed this because the reaction some others that saw it the same way as you (rightly so in retrospect). Indeed my wording is poor at best. There is no intention to belittle or be offensive.
Okay I actually very much agree with your points in the second post which explains that post more now. Also my fault for not reading more into the thread has there is always more towards a story.

Ghgghggh

Banned
I'm happily surprised it is scoring so well. I won't be getting this at launch because of Zelda/Switch, but this may be my next PS 4 purchase laster in the summer!

So the impression I get from glossing over some review quotes is that it's largely an amalgamation of existing open world and action RPG design tropes as popularised in titles like Far Cry, The Witcher, and what not, though expressed within admirably contextually relevant narrative and thematic framework that can mostly hold its own, thus elevating familiar concepts to a stage where they are effectively presented as engaging and purposeful. That being said some people won't gel with this particularly vision, more sensitive to the influencing design material, and may feel the gameplay loop and breadth of concepts to explore ultimately outstay their welcome instead of legitimately originating new open world ideas.

I'm just glad this is a game from Guerrilla that is both well received and actually appealing to me. I'm still not getting at launch; too many games for March, Zelda and Mass Effect in particular taking way higher priority. But after watching a fair bit of the game streamed last night my interest was peaked more than I expected and I intend to sink into this adventure eventually, likely benefited with post-launch patches ironing out some of the kinks.

Major props to Guerrilla for having Sony allow them to pry themselves away from over a goddamn decade of Killzone to successfully light a fire of something entirely new under their design belt.
That's fair, it's also worth noting that the combat is reviewing far higher than those aforementioned action RPG games, which could be a leading contributor to it not feeling stale.

Well I've only played Shadowfall so as far as I'm concerned, not a great track record.
Well that's just utterly bizarre.

Coxy100

Banned
great reviews.

Was expecting over 90 on metacratic when seeing all the praise though - it's frustrating when 1 negative review can really drag the overall down.

Also like someone said - we had so many games getting higher scores last gen. It's good to be critical of course, but how will any game break into that hallowed territory now?

Garlador

I believed in this game from the first trailer. My most anticipated game since its reveal.

Sounds like it matched or exceeded my expectations, and I'm thrilled.

dr_rus

I guess metas were up at the start of the gen but are really down. I think SS is an 8 or so.

It's the same every generation. This one was among the lesser offenders here actually as most launch games weren't totally overhyped.

VERY glad to see Guerilla pulled it off! I've always felt they were a supremely capable studio that just hadn't quite gotten all of their pieces lined up.

Definitely looking forward to picking this up later this year.

Nzyme32

In that other thread, you quoted and agreed with another poster who stated the game is going to be mediocre.

You formed this opinion based on what, exactly?

Purely what I've read and what I've seen - and do keep in mind I find many of the highly rated third person action adventures woefully tedious and bland to play. Just my taste. The saving grace is usually always narrative and exploration / world. The setting isn't something that thrills me and narrative I've not seen much of to this point - then again I've not looked very hard since I'm not likely to get it for a long time

[QUOTE=Nzyme32;230654558]Purely what I've read and what I've seen - and do keep in mind I find many of the highly rated third person action adventures woefully tedious and bland to play. Just my taste. The saving grace is usually always narrative and exploration / world. The setting isn't something that thrills me and narrative I've not seen much of to this point - then again I've not looked very hard since I'm not likely to get it for a long time[/QUOTE]

Horizon isn;t so what's your point?

Nothing said there is that crazy for you to just dismiss a review...why is the reviewer a fanboy for loving the game and seeing it as a serious GOTY contender? I don;t get it.

Yes, the first sentence is crazy enough. You are reviewing a game. You are not reviewing a game against future games. There is no reason for you to compare that game to a future game unless, for some reason, you want the comparison made. It's blatant and dumb.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is there as much concern for open world fatigue in Zelda as there is Horizon? Just Wondering.

Of course not. Its funny cause Zelda BOTW even has what would be described as the dreaded ubisoft radio towers.

I think that zelda and horizon are both probably exceptional works that are so good, those reused elements won't really matter in the long run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom