• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

Okay I actually very much agree with your points in the second post which explains that post more now. Also my fault for not reading more into the thread has there is always more towards a story.

No, no worries man, having it pointed out to me by the others at the time made it clear I wasn't exactly eloquent in what I was trying to say anyway

Of course not. Its funny cause Zelda even has what would be described as the dreaded ubisoft radio towers.

I think that zelda and horizon are both probably exceptional works that are so good, those reused elements won't really matter in the long run.

Agreed, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy, I have switch and zelda pre-ordered, and Horizon.

Scrawnton

For AAA games in general, but in this case AAA open world games
I'm perfect evidence of that. I was down on the game becuse of it being open world and taking a long time to show up after it's initial reveal. But I was proven wrong and I can't wait to try it. I still don't like Alloy's design though :p

Reading some of the reviews. God damn. So happy everyone got it. It really does play so well; a perfect marriage of tech and game. Loving it. It's scoring even better than I'd think it would. Just wow. Well, that't that. Gonna go play some more.

That AAA polish. 6 years hey. GG Guerilla.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
If Killzone Shadowfall is Guerilla's worst game then I'd say that's a great track record.

Shadowfall isn't some abomination, it's forgettable fun at worst.

Surprised about these scores, had a hunch the game would "flop" and do the all too common mistake that is highlighted in the usgamer review:

The game never spoke to me but it seems that those of you that have been waiting for it might be in for a treat.

But why ignore the numerous other reviewers who are saying the opposite (that the side missions are meaningful with well told stories and rewarding payoff) and just highlight the ones which goes with your 'hunch'? I mean you could end up feeling the same way as that USgamer reviewer, but isn't it possible you find yourself agreeing with the more positive opinion after you have actually played the game?

Kurt

Horizon is getting great reviews but it's an 88 metacritic, you're talking like it's a 95 or something.

true, it's just a good game. That's all.
However, i always had the feeling that the game is rushed as hell.
And that the cutscenes are horrible at the top.
But i think that the gfx is what this game makes it.

It's a must buy for ps4 owners anyway.

6 years is rushed , now I heard it all...Cut scenes are horrible? LOL says who? Do you think Brom is an indication of the rest of the game? Game is just graphics? Did you read a single review?

ASIS

Please don't. If you aren't interested in the game please don't bring Zelda into this.

How is it rushed? They took their time, rather.

Jobbs

Banned
I think it's fine to be curious what reviewers think, but the number of people seeming to determine their own opinions by reviews (or summarily dismissing for X often false reason despite reviews) is humorous.

My opinion of games and the popular opinion of reviewers have at times been so wildly divergent as to be shocking. I'm looking forward to Horizon, but I'd be lying if I said all the perfect/near perfect score games in the past have been favorites of mine. In fact, I personally think games likes MGS4, Halo 3, and GTA4 are turds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meanwhile, the critically slammed Alien Isolation was my favorite game of 2014.

Again, I love everything about what I've seen of Horizon, so I look forward to playing it. I'll hold off on rendering my own opinion before that time though thx

Loudninja

GQ Magazine
This is all nitpicking really, though, because the rest of Horizon is fantastic – something that feels like an amalgamation of many different inspirations, from the freeform base assaults of Far Cry, to Mass Effect’s dialogue wheel, to The Witcher 3’s monster hunts, to Uncharted’s third-person platforming and, to an extent, even Tomb Raider and Zelda – but which is great in its own right. This is Guerrilla’s best game by a country mile, packed with enough wonder and surprises to keep you excited for the 30 to 40 hour run-time. A triumph.
http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/horizon-zero-dawn-review-release-date-ps4

Yes they do game reviews :p

Not read the reviews but is the consensus that it's the best looking game ever? Saw some screenshots in the other thread of the general environment and it's mindbogglingly beautiful. Crazy that an open World game can look this good, last gen everyone thought visuals like that could only be done in very linear games.

Ducktail

This has to be the greatest surprise for me in terms of reviews this gen. I was expecting 7's and 8's, not people saying it's one of the greatest sandbox games as of late. Wow.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
So goddamn excited for this game! I was already pretty hyped since its initial reveal (especially since I was there when the concept art leaked lol), and gameplay impressions from the gaming press only furthered that. Recent ones from fellow gaffers in the other thread just broke me in the best fucking way possible and now these glowing reviews! lol

I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

prwxv3

Of course not. Its funny cause Zelda BOTW even has what would be described as the dreaded ubisoft radio towers.

I think that zelda and horizon are both probably exceptional works that are so good, those reused elements won't really matter in the long run though.

What matters is if these games have a good gameplay loop (combat, exploration, ect) and/or story. The problem is not the "ubisoft" content it's the core game. Horizon does not have this issue (from reviwers) and I don't think Zelda will either.

This game has started development in 2011.

Please don't. If you aren't interested in the game please don't bring Zelda into this.

Just to be clear on my end (I don't agree with that poster), I have Horizon pre ordered and I bought a Pro at launch for it but I will be waiting until April to play it as I've been waiting five years for Zelda lol :p

DylanEno

I dunno, but the Witcher managed it, and that game was a slideshow for months with its framerate dips everywhere and had some seriously unresponsive controls until patched. Those were arguably the two worst issues a game could have yet somehow still come out with a perfect score. Gamers can sometimes forgive a lot.

OT: Steelbook collectors edition was already on the way thanks to the (spoiler free) impressions thread. I am ready.

Yeah, I guess it's just giving in to the hype, but idk. Always feels weird that professional critics will call a game "perfect" when it's so clearly flawed in certain aspects, but meh. The game must be special enough for them to think that it warrants a perfect ten, which is cool.

Can't wait for that review thread. No way it reviews as highly as this.
Horizon is at 88 MC which is amazing in its own right. Zelda reviews abnormally well though. There's a reason it's considered by many to be the best game series in history. With the amount of backlash they get you'd think they get mediocre scores but they're all stellar.

3d Zelda metacritic scores:

OOT - 99
MM - 95
WW - 96
TP - 95
SS - 93

I've paid off my switch and zelda pre-order and yeah, I actually think the open world fatigue might be worse there. I really hope I'm wrong though.

The open world fatigue thing seems to arise around the amount of meaningful content (okay content that offers variety, depth - narratively and/or mechanically). Having less clutter in no way means a game will avoid open world fatigue. The world shown thus far in Zelda looks fairly barren in comparison to Horizon, but mechanically there seems to be quite a lot of variety. However, I am not sure how much that will actually mean in the long run if there isn't a deal of enemy variety and decent AI. Long story short though, I don't think anything has been shown on Zelda which can definitely answer that. I do think, from what I have seen, the world looks pretty empty, although the last trailer was spectacular.

Man, I already wrote this off because I don't really like open world games, but the stuff about the story being good is making me consider picking this up down the line.

Fortunately these days almost all games drop to $40 within a couple months, so I'll probably pick it up then. But still, didn't expect this to interest me at all.

Yeah, I guess it's just giving in to the hype, but idk. Always feels weird that professional critics will call a game "perfect" when it's so clearly flawed in certain aspects, but meh. The game must be special enough for them to think that it warrants a perfect ten, which is cool.

Perfect score doesn;t mean perfect game, I never understood what's so hard to understand about this. It's a ten point scale, all of it is valid.

SomTervo

So this has scored even with RotTR? I thought RotTR was boring, badly-written trash, so I'm really not sure what to make of this. I get the impression is going to be better, but I don't know what that says about the state of the critical industry...

Literally lol'd at the bolded.

One game's 8/10 is not the same as another game's 8/10. The same score != the same game. The same goes for any score. 1. Every game is unique; 2. It's subjective.

killatopak

Horizon is at 88 MC which is amazing in its own right. Zelda reviews abnormally well though. There's a reason it's considered by many to be the best game series in history. With the amount of backlash they get you'd think they get mediocre scores but they're all stellar.

3d Zelda metacritic scores:

OOT - 99
MM - 95
WW - 96
TP - 95
SS - 93

Reviewers were pretty light last gen.

FFXIII had such a high score despite all the insults it gets now.

I personally LOVE FFXIII

The open world fatigue thing seems to arise around the amount of meaningful content (okay content that offers variety, depth - narratively and/or mechanically). Having less clutter in no way means a game will avoid open world fatigue. The world shown thus far in Zelda looks fairly barren in comparison to Horizon, but mechanically there seems to be quite a lot of variety. However, I am not sure how much that will actually mean in the long run if there isn't a deal of enemy variety and decent AI. Long story short though, I don't think anything has been shown on Zelda which can definitely answer that. I do think, from what I have seen, the world looks pretty empty, although the last trailer was spectacular.

Yeah I mentioned above. Open world fatigue doesn't happen if the moment to moment gameplay is strong enough. I hope, and do think it will be. Can't say I'm not nervous, especially since I'm spending €400+ basically to play it :-O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom