• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

This year is so crazy. Still playing through RE7, getting Switch/Zelda next Fri so I'm holding off on this for now.

So many choices, what a great year.

60 pages in under eight hours? Starting in the wee hours for many of you? You lot are my kind of mad! I've been eagerly anticipating this title since the first concept art leak and have had it preordered digitally for months now. The wait for another eight days is going to be painful, but at least I have Nioh to keep me company.

The overall tone of the reviews sounds magical, even if it didn't catch absolutely everyone's imagination. Upper 80s seemed like a reasonable goal for the first game in what could be a promising series. I hope Geurilla has plenty of ideas and are keen to dive in, because it seems unlikely this will be one-and-done.

Hang in there, folks!

Yeah, the concept is just so good and that art was really catching.

Couldn't help but read this thread before heading to work lol.

Oh my god. These scrores. These reviews. These videos people are posting...

giphy.gif

Alo0oy

Banned
The side content I've done hasn't had anything entirely social or immersive like that. Good conversations, good dialogue, not everything is an epic endeavor... but not exactly like that.

Might feel hollow to say, but the side content is not the main attraction. It fills out the world and is generally high-quality, but the story and core gameplay is the attraction. I like someone's description of a "Diet RPG," or "the perfect RPG for working adults."

Thanks, I hope the sequel considers more side quests like that.

You guys are saying Zelda or Persona for Gafs GOTY.

But we getting Mario Odyssey this year as well. (I hope)

I think we will. Mario games are typically set in stone once they're announced. Can't recall the last Super Mario game to be delayed any length, but there are firsts for everything. Take Guerrilla making a decent game, for starters. No more Killzone, kthx.

Congratulations to GG. I was not a believer at all but I'm happy to say I stand corrected and happy as fuck that the game is being acclaimed. Looking forward to playing it when Nioh allows me so lol.

That 2.5/5 USGamer review score would converted to a 100% scale just be a 50% score. By all standards that would be an objectively bad game.
I've heard it was the reviewers first big review? Maybe he/she didn't fully understand their own scoring system? It's a really strange break out score.
A 50 isn't a bad score, although you're definitely reaching that territory.

Ultimately, don't overthink it, people have opinions, not everyone needs to agree.

Afrodium

Banned
Holy damn these are some good reviews. I'm passing up on this at launch for Zelda but if BotW turns out to be mediocre I'll grab this instead.

Gradly

We need to settle this in its own thread , is it

Horizon : Zero Dawn

or

Horizon Zero Dawn

Someone a page or so back said that it's part of the story, yeah.

It's Horizon: Zero Dawn
Zero Dawn must be grouped together for a reason which I'm gonna spoiler tag here. I haven't played the game but learned that from the streams I watched. Anyway Zero Dawn
is actually a project code name

A week to play the game, a week to make the review. Settings these guidelines is better than what he's been doing, saying he'll review a game, not finishing it, and a month goes by without a review. Hopefully he sticks to the schedule as best he can.

If he stuck to his old way, there most likely wouldn't have been a Yakuza Zero review.
oh I see. yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to have seen him review yakuza 0. not only was it probably insightful for people who don't know the franchise but it was just an entertaining video lol.

Gleethor

Seems like GG made a genuinely great game. Can't wait to play but it's too close to Zelda's release right now so I'll jump in when I've finished that

That 2.5/5 USGamer review score would converted to a 100% scale just be a 50% score. By all standards that would be an objectively bad game.
I've heard it was the reviewers first big review? Maybe he/she didn't fully understand their own scoring system? It's a really strange break out score.

She just wasn't into the game for whatever reason. Looking at her archived reviews on opencritic, she tends to score quite a bit lower than the average, so it's not exclusive to this game or anything.

The only thing that's a little weird to me is USgamer's Editor-in-Chief retweeting every opinion or review that most closely align's with their reviewers opinion, but given that she's certainly getting harrassed for her score, it's understandable that she'd be given cover.

Pif

Banned
Congrats to GG, first try at Open World, schools nearly every studio worlwide on how to make a good Open world.

Looking forward to Horizon 2 on PS5.

xviper

too many human encounters ?? that may ruins the game for me

has any one got a human encounter video ?

i thought the game is all about robotic dinosaurs which is why i got excited for it in the first place

It's Horizon: Zero Dawn
Zero Dawn must be grouped together for a reason which I'm gonna spoiler tag here. I haven't played the game but learned that from the streams I watched. Anyway Zero Dawn
is actually a project code name

I think the developer gets to decide that.

And they've decided it's "Horizon Zero Dawn"

Fuck yeah. This sounds awesome, and i wasn't even that hyped for it. Now I'm sad about ShadowFall being that lame.
You could release literal shit with The Legend of Zelda on it and as long as it's a mainline title GAF will apologize for it.
SS got a 93 meta... Gaming media have no objectivity when it comes to Zelda. BotW actually looks great so it will probably get a 97-98 meta though. 94+ is a lock.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
It is strange that someone's opinion on it can be so different from literally almost everyone else. But that's how it goes.

Sure but given the history of video game review scores, something getting a 50% usually means it's broke or flawed as hell. Giving a seemingly well built game a failing score is definitely going to raise some eyebrows.

God damn ! The reviews are incredible, i honestly never expected it to score that good and i'm a huge fan of Guerrilla Games. I love Killzone but it's great to see a studio like Guerrilla making something new and fresh, this how it pays off !

Great work Sony and GG !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom