• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that hard to believe? This isn't a test where the score is based on what was correct and incorrect. A score isn't even a correlation with quality. A score is merely a reflection of how much the person enjoyed it.
True, I do always tend to gauge reviews as a quality of the content more so than how much the reviewer enjoyed the game. I mean, isn't there room for both? I would much rather read about reviewers take on the game and different tastes, but I still think the game should gets its credit for being well made.

Like GTA is really not my cup of tea. But there's no way I would have scored GTA5 anything lower than a 9/10. The quality in writing, mechanics, graphics, controls, everything was too high for me to score it low because I thought the characters was silly and the game is too vulgar for my taste. My enjoyment level might be low, but I think gauging quality takes precedence, and there's but so much of your personal bias you should put in a review.

There's a Brazilian outlet claiming these reviews have been "paid for". They are reviewing it themselves and so far it's an 8 at best according to them.

I wonder why people go insane like this when it's a Sony first-party tittle.

Cognitive dissonace, perhaps. Fanboyism? Who knows. More importantly, no reason to care or give it the time of day.

Skeeter49

When I woke up this morning I said I wasn't going to look at the metacritic score, just check Twitter, and then the first thing on my Twitter was someone from GG retweeting the metacritic score.
Life finds a way.

This is probably my favorite 3 month gaming stretch ever, potentially 5 month depending on Zelda and Persona 5.

I literally can't hold all the fantastic games.

Sephzilla

e181bd-1487609187.png

Just woke up and.... FANTASTIC score :)

1-Back-to-the-Future-quotes.gif

guek

Banned
Amazing reviews. Kind of stinks that this great game is coming out right next to Zelda, it's going to be hard to manage my gaming time with both of those out at the same time.

Yeah. I'm holding off on Horizon for now because I don't want anything to distract me from Zelda but it's definitely going to get bought eventually.

jxN3

I'm spending $400+ to play Zelda, so this game will have to wait...

But, the thought of having this waiting for me after Zelda has me a little giddy.. :D

Tigress

I legitimately sad that this will never happen. Guerilla's found a new, exciting calling, but Cambridge made an excellent shooter on the Vita, and I was hoping to see them get a shot at a KZ in that style on PS4.

I would have loved a Mercenary 2. And I'm not even an FPS fan (I don't hate them but they're not games I get excited for unless there is a good single player campaign or borderlands with its open world - part of the problem is I'm not a big fan of linear games in general).

Mubrik

GG please. for new game +
skip most story stuff
introduce loot to grind for.
turn ai aggressiveness to a hundred
allow me over level (far cry syndrome)
oh. and where the white girls tho?

xviper

Don't buy the game. If your past game criticisms are anything to go by, you'll also probably save some people a headache in the process. : p

why would my criticisms get someone a headache ?

besides, i was interested in Horizon since the first trailer so i'm 100% gonna buy it, i just hope the side quests are at least half as good as the Witcher 3's

X-Frame

I'll echo others here and say I do hope one of the first things GG decides to work on is a New Game+ mode. I really hope that gets added.

Tigress

My perfect ratio is 1% for every gameplay hour.

Horizon fits nicely there at 75h for 100% completion.

I was getting the impression it was a 40-50 hour game which was saddening to me (but adequate I guess) but 75 hours I think is fine (and I would have been totally fine with 100 hours).

why would my criticisms get someone a headache ?

besides, i was interested in Horizon since the first trailer so i'm 100% gonna buy it, i just hope the side quests are at least half as good as the Witcher 3's

I'm just messing with you based on what I've seen in the Nioh thread, haha.

Karak

Well is not that you have to align 100% of the time. I respect Eurogamer and ACG the most and sometimes I don't feel the same way as them, even now I think Eurogamer review is... dissappointing to me, not because of the "score" but the way they treated the game in their review. That been said, they're still my top website for reviews.

Ya. I try to make sure folks understand what I was experiencing. Regardless of the score in the end. As we have ALL had games someone loves or dislikes that we feel completely opposite about.
Hell I don't agree 100% with my real life friends on games. Maybe less than 60% . Much of it is how you get there

SomTervo

True, I do always tend to gauge reviews as a quality of the content more so than how much the reviewer enjoyed the game. I mean, isn’t there room for both? I would much rather read about reviewers take on the game and different tastes, but I still think the game should gets its credit for being well made.

Like GTA is really not my cup of tea. But there’s no way I would have scored GTA5 anything lower than a 9/10. The quality in writing, mechanics, graphics, controls, everything was too high for me to score it low because I thought the characters was silly and the game is too vulgar for my taste. My enjoyment level might be low, but I think gauging quality takes precedence, and there’s but so much of your personal bias you should put in a review.

Therein lies the rub

Guys. I played it for 20 hours, didn't finish it, thinks it's amazing, and this post is sponsored by Sony. 6 out of 10. Stop arguing and listen to me and my wonderful gifs!

Imo reviewer clearly let her emotions impact her score or was done for attention

We all know it's important for people to review things in as antiseptic a way as possible. Perhaps they should have focused on number of lines of dialogue or number of side quests. That way we get some analytical, unequivocal content. Gotta kill that emotional response.

VXz58VA.gif

True, I do always tend to gauge reviews as a quality of the content more so than how much the reviewer enjoyed the game. I mean, isn't there room for both? I would much rather read about reviewers take on the game and different tastes, but I still think the game should gets its credit for being well made.

Like GTA is really not my cup of tea. But there's no way I would have scored GTA5 anything lower than a 9/10. The quality in writing, mechanics, graphics, controls, everything was too high for me to score it low because I thought the characters was silly and the game is too vulgar for my taste. My enjoyment level might be low, but I think gauging quality takes precedence, and there's but so much of your personal bias you should put in a review.
Consider movie reviews. I always bring this example up. The Thing and The Shining were not well received when they released. The Shining was even nominated for Razzies. Nowadays they're considered masterpieces. But the movies - the quality of the writing, the cinematography, the acting, etc. - never changed. People's opinions did.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Dutch gaming magazine Power Unnlimited did their review: 9.2

probably the former.
same could be said about engadget review

Yeah, it is fairly evident in the tone of the review. I mean I have graded papers that, if I was to go with personal standards, would have failed to meet the criteria, but because of the context and situation, it wasn't appropriate to do so. Also, in study it is a learning experience to a degree, and you don't necessarily want to shoot people down straight away.

BRocknRolla: Strawman argument. Of course emotions affect your judgement, but that is why there are criteria and weighting. To balance judgement.

xviper

I'm just messing with you based on what I've seen in the Nioh thread, haha.

don't worry, as long as the game is unique with a fresh idea that is non-repetitive, i will most likely enjoy it, but i for sure will post my opinion on it so buckle up, lol

any words about Bosses ?? please tell me the game has bosses

Memento

To think Horizon is Guerrila's first take on a RPG and on open world games.

They are so ambitious and talented. Really happy Sony let them make what they wanted.

Siege.exe

Zelda, Horizon, RDR2, Persona.... Y'all sleeping on the black horse of 2017, Digimon World: Next Order :p This is going to be such a great year for games

I would have loved a Mercenary 2. And I'm not even an FPS fan (I don't hate them but they're not games I get excited for unless there is a good single player campaign or borderlands with its open world - part of the problem is I'm not a big fan of linear games in general).

Mercenary is what got me into FPS games to begin with. The multiplayer was fun, the campaign was interesting and super replayable, the weapons and vanguard system were awesome. If nothing else, I hope it gets ported to the PS4 or future PS system some day.

Ya. I try to make sure folks understand what I was experiencing. Regardless of the score in the end. As we have ALL had games someone loves or dislikes that we feel completely opposite about.
Hell I don't agree 100% with my real life friends on games. Maybe less than 60% . Much of it is how you get there

Haha my tastes doesn't align with like 90% of my friends's. Anyway, if you like a game or not is not the end point, what you have to say about it is what interest me, after that I behave like and independent being (asuming I am).

In this particular case, that's why I feel kinda dissapointed with Eurogamer's review, is not that it's bad or something but the reviewer compared the game with The Witcher III in a way that it looked too convenient for his/her point and I'm not sure it was handled in a good way. Then again, I haven't played the game so... what do I know.

True, I do always tend to gauge reviews as a quality of the content more so than how much the reviewer enjoyed the game. I mean, isn’t there room for both? I would much rather read about reviewers take on the game and different tastes, but I still think the game should gets its credit for being well made.

Like GTA is really not my cup of tea. But there’s no way I would have scored GTA5 anything lower than a 9/10. The quality in writing, mechanics, graphics, controls, everything was too high for me to score it low because I thought the characters was silly and the game is too vulgar for my taste. My enjoyment level might be low, but I think gauging quality takes precedence, and there’s but so much of your personal bias you should put in a review.

IMO it should be a bit of both but i agree with what you are saying in some ways .

BTA

Dang. I'm skipping it in favor of Zelda; if I got both I know I'd just spend much more time with Zelda anyway. But I'm definitely picking it up during the summer or so now.

Mathieran

Banned
Happy the game is reviewing so well, can't wait to play it. Like what I saw/read but I don't think I will read anymore.

You guys should watch the games radar video review it has a great intro, but stop there cause it gets a little spoilery with some of the footage. I also read a review that has what I assume is an early game spoiler but something I didn't know from watching trailers, so that was a little disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom