• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struct09

Amazing reviews. Kind of stinks that this great game is coming out right next to Zelda, it's going to be hard to manage my gaming time with both of those out at the same time.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
GOTY is going to be so spread out this year. This, Zelda, RDR 2, Persona, Mass Effect, Mario Odyssey... I feel like I'm forgetting something too. This year is insane.

Raylan

Banned
e181bd-1487609187.png

Just woke up and.... FANTASTIC score :)

Can't you take off just about every icon and make the screen fairly blank, don't really get why they keep harping on something that can easily be customized. Also, would never read a review from them after this, our taste are completely out of sync. I have no idea what good engaging combat is to the Posh writer, but I'd imagine I wouldn't like it lol. Even the final remakes seem to be an outlier, everyone says you jump into as much backstory and world-builing as you want as the narrative is pretty tightly woven.

There's a staggering amount to do and see in Zero Dawn. Unfortunately, none of it is allowed to exist for its own sake. It should be enough just to swim across a river, take in the depths of a valley from high above it or watch the behavior of robotic herds grazing wide open fields. There is much beauty to see in the game's world—such incredible vision and craft exercised in its conception—but it's subservient to a poor story, lackluster combat and, worst of all, an evident paranoia that players won't appreciate the world Aloy inhabits unless it's put within the context of a laundry list of tasks that have to be completed.

Josh378

I told my friend about this game and he thought that this was the new Xbox racing game(lol). He was asked me how come Sony was able to get that racer on the PS4 system. After showing him the reviews for this game he said that's another "Horizon" he's going to have to buy this year when he buys his first PS4 system.

I have to beat Nioh in 8 days. I shouled stop doing side quest...lol.

It is strange that someone's opinion on it can be so different from literally almost everyone else. But that's how it goes.

And there are over 70 reviews, so you kind of expect this. Also, some people genuinely aren't that good at scoring things, and experience also comes into it. You see this in academic marking as well.

too many human encounters ?? that may ruins the game for me

has any one got a human encounter video ?

i thought the game is all about robotic dinosaurs which is why i got excited for it in the first place

Don't buy the game. If your past game criticisms are anything to go by, you'll also probably save some people a headache in the process. : p

I'm legit impressed with the breadth of praise HZD is getting from such a range of reviewers who often don't see eye to eye.

I was always going to pick this up but thought I'd wait until a HZD PS4Pro bundle dropped but it looks like I'll be preordering this (to save 20%) and moving it to the top of my 'play this next' pile.

Siege.exe

It's a shame that Guerilla Cambridge was shut down, Mercenary was great and they could've taken over the Killzone brand fully.

I legitimately sad that this will never happen. Guerilla's found a new, exciting calling, but Cambridge made an excellent shooter on the Vita, and I was hoping to see them get a shot at a KZ in that style on PS4.

ArchAngel

Always thought this game and the whole design looks boring (well, like all GG projects :p). Just preordered after the IGN video for the good performance and maybe I will like the gameplay :)

TheRed

Poor facial animations? I kinda disagree on that but other than that it was nice reading the review.
Yeah from what I've seen the facial animations are really great. Only RPG I like them better in is The Witcher 3 which is good company to have for your first RPG.

I can see maybe they think the skin textures can be better because the people don't look exactly realistic. But it completely fits the whole games style to me.

The animations themselves though look high quality.

Pif

Banned
60 hours at an 80% overall completion? Phew...that dispels my worries the game could be a bit too short on content for my personal tastes. I like my RPGs longer and full of content. Especially when they seem to be really good. :)
My perfect ratio is 1% for every gameplay hour.

Horizon fits nicely there at 75h for 100% completion.

I don't get the side quest complaints, it's nearly identical to witcher 3 (at least the majority of them, witcher 3 has some unique interesting ones thrown into the usual follow the blood trail and kill thing quests). Every side quest has a story just like witcher 3. Some have you follow a glowing line just like witcher 3 which leads you to an NPC which gives you something to kill just like witcher 3. But a robot animal is way better to fight than anything in witcher 3 so I prefer horizons side quests.

For the most part it's not MMO like side quests, no one is simply asking you to gather crap just to gather crap.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
You guys are overthinking the 2.5 (50), i think she simply didn't like the game that much. Yeah it sucks for the meta-score, but it is what it is.

psyfi

Banned
Whoa, nice! Looking good. I've been nothing but skeptical about this game, because I think Killzone is awful and I'm generally wary of open world games, but I'm glad I'm wrong!

vivekTO

too many human encounters ?? that may ruins the game for me

has any one got a human encounter video ?

i thought the game is all about robotic dinosaurs which is why i got excited for it in the first place

Let me say this, the ratio will be around 3:7 humans : machines for the encounters , please correct me anyone with the game.this is just estimations.

Honestly, name me one game where the official art includes the implied colon. (Okay, Nier: Automata is an exception. As are some Kingdom Hearts games. But Japanese titles are weird.)

Horizon: Zero Dawn is totally valid. As is Mass Effect: Andromeda. And Dragon Age: Inquisition. And Killzone: Shadowfall. And Infamous: Second Son.

Actually, I'm going off the spelling of games as seen on publisher/developer websites.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Killzone: Shadow Fall, etc. all have colons, implying a subtitle.

Horizon strangely has always been "HorizonZeroDawn" and not "Horizon: Zero Dawn"

Maybe an oversight?

I don't get the side quest complaints, it's nearly identical to witcher 3 (at least the majority of them, witcher 3 has some unique interesting ones thrown into the usual follow the blood trail and kill thing quests). Every side quest has a story just like witcher 3. Some have you follow a glowing line just like witcher 3 which leads you to an NPC which gives you something to kill just like witcher 3. But a robot animal is way better to fight than anything in witcher 3 so I prefer horizons side quests.

For the most part it's not MMO like side quests, no one is simply asking you to gather crap just to gather crap.

I mean some of them having you gathering stuff but like you said, most have various characters, sometimes some more interesting then others. I enjoyed them mostly. They help build the world your in so they work for me.

Ducktail

There's a Brazilian outlet claiming these reviews have been "paid for". They are reviewing it themselves and so far it's an 8 at best according to them.

I wonder why people go insane like this when it's a Sony first-party tittle.

Tyaren

A score is merely a reflection of how much the person enjoyed it.

Is it really? I thought the bigger magazines/reviewing sites were supposed to give purchase advice as objective or professional as possible?
If USgamer really is all about what just the reviewer personally enjoys and doesn't enjoy, then it's good I know that now. I won't ever look there again for objective advice. To be honest it wasn't my preferred source for reviews anyway. ;)

Any ps4 vs ps4 pro comparisons yet?

Yep, there's already a Digital Foundry thread. Should be somewhere on the first page.

There's a Brazilian outlet claiming these reviews have been "paid for". They are reviewing it themselves and so far it's an 8 at best according to them.

I wonder why people go insane like this when it's a Sony first-party tittle.

Those people are morons, don't give them the attention they crave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom