• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CronoShot

Imo reviewer clearly let her emotions impact her score or was done for attention
Opinions, how do they work

Anyway, very good scores, and a actually a bit better than I was expecting. Good job Guerilla!

Part of me is mad that so can't play this for a while (buying a Switch + Zelda, so I can't justify spending even more money on gaming for a while) but I'll definitely get Horizon later this year.

JayB1920

Why most of the reviews are not mentioning the dungeons/cauldrons? Are they not allowed to talk about them or were they simply not done?

Or you know, opinions and she just didn't enjoy the game.

We all know it's important for people to review things in as antiseptic a way as possible. Perhaps they should have focused on number of lines of dialogue or number of side quests. That way we get some analytical, unequivocal content. Gotta kill that emotional response.

VXz58VA.gif

And that's a problem because...

Or do you think people's emotions, personal experience, and perspectives don't impact every review score ever?

it's not a problem if it's professionally done which in this case was not. The reviewer was clearly again in my opinion not being professionally objective.

Tyaren

Why are so few reviews even mentioning the dungeons/cauldrons? Are they not allowed to talk about them or were they simply not done?

Yeah, that is a bit strange. In one review (Easy Allies I think it was) they outright said, they can't talk about those yet.

reKon

Banned
60 Hours is perfect. I'm the type who doesn't really go 100% completion, but I still do a bunch of post game stuff. I'm nearly 70 hours into FFXV and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have more fun with this game from a combat perspective. I went fucking HAM using the bow in TR 2013. I'm going to single handily cause robo extinction when I'm on my shit.

Mugenjin

I'm so glad that this isn't just a glorified tech demo without substance. Too bad (or rather good thing) that I will be occupied with Nioh for the near future otherwise I would've preordered already.

SS got a 93 meta... Gaming media have no objectivity when it comes to Zelda. BotW actually looks great so it will probably get a 97-98 meta though. 94+ is a lock.
Gamers are the worst fam, them forever apologizing for the mediocrity that is 3D Zelda is nothing new.

I have hope for Breath of the Wild, it doing well is only good for me.

Karak

Yeah, that is a bit strange. In one review (Easy Allies I think it was) they outright said, they can't talk about those yet.

There is a very unique set of embargos on this one. Sort of like Gears 4 where Broll or specific footage had to be used and so forth until a later date.

Yeah, it is fairly evident in the tone of the review. I mean I have graded papers that, if I was to go with personal standards, would have failed to meet the criteria, but because of the context and situation, it wasn't appropriate to do so. Also, in study it is a learning experience to a degree, and you don't necessarily want to shoot people down straight away.

BRocknRolla: Strawman argument. Of course emotions affect your judgement, but that is why there are criteria and weighting. To balance judgement.

The very notion of an "objective review" is a fallacy. People may attempt to do so as much as they wish, but it simply isn't possible.

A review is a personal judgment. Entertainment products are necessarily going to involve emotional responses, personal standards, etc. It's impossible to remove these, or remove enough of them, to somehow build a "fair" review.

As for using a set of "criteria and weighting," these things are most certainly still subject to personal standards unless you've set some sort of arbitrary, "Graphics are worth 20% of the score" kind of standard. There's zero logic to that kind of approach.

We can agree or disagree with someone's review, but short of proving that someone a) didn't play a game, b) played a game incorrectly (as in, didn't understand how to actually experience the product and therefore couldn't honestly evaluate it, and even then, there's room to debate whether that could still be a valid take), you can't claim, "Someone's emotions influenced them too much" and dismiss a review.

it's not a problem if it's professionally done which in this case was not. The reviewer was clearly again in my opinion not being professionally objective.

While I can see dismissing a review for not being "professional" (A reviewer spends a bunch of time misspelling words, saying things that are factually inaccurate, or is so vague as to provide no meaningful examples to back up their opinions), I'll restate that making a review that is "professionally objective" is an impossibility.

I deeply regret reading the 4chan spoilers. I really wasnt expecting this amount of praise.

I always loved the combat encounters in KZ too, and from the sounds of it, it's a huge part of HZD's successful gameplay, right?

Im still trying to grasp the comparisons people made to Far Cry and actual RPGs. Is the game in between that, in that it's not full out RPG, but retains hints of RPG elements, or strips away the bloat?

I understand there is dialogue choices, but is it pointless like Witcher 3? It seems the heart of the game is different weapon types matching with enemy types. How deep is that? Is there where Zelda comparisons come?

Also, I really want this game to be impressive with lore. SIdequests do a good job of fleshing out the world, so does that mean you can take quests from numerous tribes while managing to learn the details of their cultures and histories while doing so?

And while the world looks varied, does it feel like its actually a big scale world? For example, galloping through Witcher's world or Skyrim feels so good. It feels like an adventure because it mixes some typical locales with stretches of nature. I guess Im asking just how BIG forests, mountains, etc. The idea of a full day system and weather makes me happy, but I always look for those long stretches of dark forest to turn the HUD off and just walk through.

Yet despite all that, Ive always been turned off by open world games as Ive always grown bored with them or hesitant. I loved the Witcher, but couldn't finish the game, mostly for the combat. Horizon sounds more and more promising, but Im incredibly hopeful the world has sprinkled in tons of "lore" or mystery to discover and think about. Some of that comes in discovering unexplained things, like finding ruins that have no direct explanation (think of how ICO games build a world).

It's hard to explain what I mean, but the Far Cry comparisons have always worried me a bit because those games dont feel as immersive as something like Shadow of the Colossus, Skyrim, Witcher, etc.

No need to regret reading fake leaks. :]

Really impressive scores considering this is their first foray in this genre. I've been avoiding most threads about the game, but I've always expected this to be my next PS4 game. I don't have time to play it with Switch coming up, but I'm absolutely looking forward to playing this.

Tyaren

There is a very unique set of embargos on this one. Sort of like Gears 4 where Broll or specific footage had to be used and so forth until a later date.

Thanks for answering, Karak. :)
I guess, your review will be coming soon too? Will you keep it mostly spoiler free? I always enjoy your in-depth reviews, but they tend to be a bit on the spoilery side so I usually only watch them after I completed the game for entertainment. ;)

JayB1920

I wonder when they will be allowed to talk about them. Seems strange as they seem to be one of the better parts of the games side content.

bennibop

Switch is going on the back burner for a while, what with Horizon, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2 and Persona I cant justify spending money on a new console for just one game.

Thorrgal

Metacritic should start dropping the highest and lowest scores from their average (they can still list them).

To be fair not all reviews (scores) weight the same, the bigger sites have more impact on the final score. At least is how it used to work on the movie metascores

reKon

Banned
I'm so glad that this isn't just a glorified tech demo without substance. Too bad (or rather good thing) that I will be occupied with Nioh for the near future otherwise I would've preordered already.

I'm still cannot for the life of me understand ANYONE having this sort of fear based on all the gameplay videos we've gotten leading up to this. They've shown all kinds of stuff combat wise that indicates it would be anything other.

It's not like this game was a linear shooter, lol...

Why most of the reviews are not mentioning the dungeons/cauldrons? Are they not allowed to talk about them or were they simply not done?

Personally, I just didn't want to. I think there's a way to talk about them without being spoilery, but my number-one excitement while playing the game was discovery. And while I want to emphasize to people just how excellent the story and gameplay are, I want them to have that discovery, too.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Switch is going on the back burner for a while, what with Horizon, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2 and Persona I cant justify spending money on a new console for just one game.

I'm slowly getting to this point. I haven't even played Nioh or RE7 yet. Horizon looks awesome now too. Coming up on a hard decision soon for sure.

I'm still cannot for the life of me understand ANYONE having this sort of fear based on all the gameplay videos we've gotten leading up to this. They've shown all kinds of stuff combat wise that indicates it would be anything other.

It's not like this game was a linear shooter, lol...

I think people wanted it to be and are now backtracking lol, no way of you actually followed anything on the game at all would you think it was going to be bad or a tech demo.

bennibop

I'm slowly getting to this point. I haven't even played Nioh or RE7 yet. Horizon looks awesome now too. Coming up on a hard decision soon for sure.

Not picked up Resi 7 yet or Sniper Elite 4 and just working through For Honour in between bouts of Nioh. Plus I have Yakuza to finish and Neir in a few weeks time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom