• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different reviewer. If you want to get a better idea of the reviewer's taste, here are her archived reviews.

uh...yeesh.

60 average score
6 games reviewed
16.67% of games recommended
Scores 16.83 points lower than the average

This has "this is a bad reviewer" written all over it. This woman should probably not have been given this game to review, since she seems to dislike nearly everything she plays outside of one cyberpunk game I've never heard of, and scores certain games (I am setsuna, horizon, paper mario color splash) WELL below industry averages, citing "this is a chore to play" as the most common complaint.

Im not saying it deserves all 8's ,9's or 10's

but for fucks sake there is no way this game deserves a fucking 5

they have scored these higher

Assassin's Creed Unity
Street Fighter V
The Sims 4
No Man's Sky
Battleborn
Evolve
Call of Duty: Ghosts
The Order: 1886

Which is a fucking travesty
"Deserves" has nothing to do with it

And I'll take a wild guess and say those weren't all written by the same person either

reKon

Banned
Let's not get caught up on individual reviewers. The general consensus is that this is a very good game and will surely be one of the year's best. Most importantly, we get to play this in a week! GG deserves the success for their courage to try this new crazy concept for a genre they've never worked in before, their commitment to quality and providing a fun, memorable experience, and ensuring that they hired the proper talent to achieve their vision. To me it's even more impressive because of the prior games open world type games that have come out. Cheers to them.

you're gonna get a lot of haters for this post but honestly man, great job. get yourself a treat or something nice today

Lol

Easy Allies said the game is kinda grindy?

I hope the gameplay is not too repetitive.

I am worried that a month from now after the hype dies down the GAF will turn on this game like they did to Shadow of Mordor.

That game sits at an 84 MC and it was released at a time where we gamers were begging for games. I still consider it a good game though.

fbutron

Super hyped for the game,

Damm if I was still living in Mexico city surely I could get the game this same week on a famous flea market there

Not Drake

I'm so happy it turned out okay. As someone who really enjoyed all Killzone games for their gameplay and lore I always rooted for Guerilla. Underrated and underappreciated studio.

Holy shit at those review scores!

I've been questioning my pre-order for a long time now, even though it looked awesome I was always skeptical. Definitely keeping my pre-order.

BTA

uh...yeesh.

60 average score
6 games reviewed

This has "this is a bad reviewer" written all over it. This woman should probably not have been given this game to review, since she seems to dislike nearly everything she plays outside of one cyberpunk game I've never heard of, and scores certain games (I am setsuna, horizon, paper mario color splash) WELL below industry averages, citing "this is a chore to play" as the most common complaint.

...how does she have a "60 average score" when the only score she gave that was below a 75 was a 59? I know that's the site saying it, not you, but that makes no sense to me.

Anyway: not everyone has to love the games you do, dude. And a fucking 75/100 is not "disliking" something by any means.

EDIT: I see, I see, the interface was just confusing.

Anyway, my comment still stands: not everyone has to love the games you love. People are allowed to think things are ok or even bad! That's still a valid review.

Different reviewer. If you want to get a better idea of the reviewer's taste, here are her archived reviews.

60 average score
6 games reviewed

seems to match up. But, I've never played any of the games that she has reviewed so I can't really say.

All I know is that I am going to have a blast playing this game and I hope others give it a chance. It's going to be a long week

...how does she have a "60 average score" when the only score she gave that was below a 75 was a 59? I know that's the site saying it, not you, but that makes no sense to me.

Anyway: not everyone has to love the games you do, dude. And a fucking 75/100 is not "disliking" something by any means.

those scores you are looking at are the games average score. The score she gave them is below the games title.

That's your metric for a bad reviewer? Scores below industry averages and disliking stuff?

myco666

Assassin's Creed Unity
Street Fighter V
The Sims 4
No Man's Sky
Battleborn
Evolve

Is it the same person? Also opinions exists.

Let me just take a moment to give Guerilla some props here...
I'm gonna take a sample selection of posts I've made recently in regards to my expectations

From the Most anticipated Games 2017 vote where I put it at 9
looks like a million bucks but I'm still waiting to see if Guerilla Games can deliver on the gameplay front

From the much more specific what do you expect from Horizon thread
A good game that feels like a first draft for something better, I'm expecting a lot of "it's good but..." particularly in regards to the combat.
And for the plot and all that to be rather donkey balls in the grand scheme of things, not like offensively bad or anything, more like something that takes up more time than it warrants.

On the whole though another solid PS4 title that keeps the ball rolling in this kinda crazy quality first quarter.

And as a bonus, when someone asked if anyone was picking it up in the wrestling thread of all places
If reviews/impressions are good I'll probably get it at that £20 sweet spot.

Not quite ready to board a guerilla games hype train, that's like betting on an underachieving midcarder to suddenly put on a five star match.

So safe to say I was pretty consistent with expecting something solid but not much more.
Heck even when a friend asked me if I was getting it last week I was like "looks good but I'm just not sure if Guerilla can pull this off"

And here we are now, it sounds like they pulled it off.
I'm not sure this qualifies as me eating crow but perhaps there's a few feathers there at least to munch on.
So regardless of how I end up felling about the game as whole when I get round to it, it's cool to see them take the ball and run with it after effectively being known as the Killzone guys for years now.

Easy Allies said the game is kinda grindy?

I'm all for differing opinions, but FWIW, this is one of those that I just find objectively false. This is one of the least grindy, most streamlined RPGs I've played, ever.

Resources are plentiful and the action is so skill-based that grinding levels isn't really a thing. You can get skill points, but victory in boss fights and tough encounters comes from precise aim and quick thinking.

"Grindy" is right up there with "boring narrative" where I wonder how much of the game they played, or if we even played the same game.

uh...yeesh.

60 average score
6 games reviewed

Seriously...

🙄

did you actually look at the archived reviews?

she gave horizon a 50/100 (average is 88)
Paper mario: color splash a 65/100 (average is 76)
The Girl and the Robot a 40/100 (average is 59)
I am Setsuna a 55/100 (average is 75)
Zero Time Dilemma a 70/100. (average is 82)

only VA-11 HallA: Cyberpunk Bartender Action was close to the average review score with 80/100.

see the above. i don't think you understood the ratings on that page.

Endo Punk

This game potentially gives Playstation it's next female gaming icon(come on its a guaranteed franchise) not seen since Tomb Raider 20 years ago 😱 Very exciting

All these ad hominem attacks on reviewers who didn't love the game as much as you want them to.

I predict the Horizon vs. Zelda metacritic score will cause all types of ridiculous shit.

This was such an ambitious move for them considering the type of game they were used to.
The fact that they nailed it across the board is really impressive. You'd think they have a long history of open world rpgs.

icespide

Banned
uh...yeesh.

60 average score
6 games reviewed

this has "this is a bad post" written all over it

BouncyFrag

Gonna beat Zelda in MC scores.
200_s.gif

joecanada

Assassin's Creed Unity
Street Fighter V
The Sims 4
No Man's Sky
Battleborn
Evolve

I mean I have to play horizon to really compare but if you just showed me that list and said these games are better than horizon I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole lol. Which is kind of the point of reviews isn't it?

"Deserves" has nothing to do with it

And I'll take a wild guess and say those weren't all written by the same person either

I don't really think it matter if it by the same person when you running a site.
If your site has a certain scale but you add someone new and they use there own it's a disservice to your readers IMO.
Of course this would have never been a problem if game reviews use the full scale to begin with .

CGwizz

USgamer review reads like " i hate open world games , i hate games fuck this i am wasting my time doing reviews and i prefer doing other things "

BTA

did you actually look at the archived reviews?

she gave horizon a 50/100 (average is 88)
Paper mario: color splash a 65/100 (average is 76)
The Girl and the Robot a 40/100 (average is 59)
I am Setsuna a 55/100 (average is 75)
Zero Time Dilemma a 70/100. (average is 82)

only VA-11 HallA: Cyberpunk Bartender Action was close to the average review score with 80/100.

see the above. i don't think you understood the ratings on that page.

See my edit. My feelings still stand. If anything it's unfortunate she's being given games to review that she doesn't enjoy much, but that doesn't make those reviews or the scores that were given invalid.

And if anything that average ZTD score is too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom