• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
LiuaH5U.png

well damn
That was expected with MS support for new IPs... the brand lacks games for a full year release schedule.

BTW this is the half of the tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/833760841317113857

Hoo-doo

Banned
Whether there's truth to the statement or not, I think Schreier is still pretty childish to just tweet out petty inflammatory shit like that.
It's only going to rile up the crazies from both sides for no reason. I mean, it's not like it's insightful, witty or funny.

Whether there's truth to the statement or not, I think Schreier is still pretty childish to just tweet out petty inflammatory shit like that.
It's only going to rile up the crazies from both sides for no reason.

Not his problem people are crazy and stupid. He never said anything outlandish. Why are people so easily offended these days?

It's only going to rile up the crazies from both sides for no reason. I mean, it's not like it's insightful, witty or funny.

I really don't see anything that inflammatory about that tweet, stating the obvious and saying that things need to change isn't that bad in my opinion.

Dartastic

Firstly, it's not inflammatory. Secondly, it doesn't need to be witty or funny or require much insight, because at this point it's basically a fact. Seriously, look at the exclusive lineup for Xbox. There's uh, Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive and State of Decay. I genuinely can't think of anything else. That lineup is made even worse due to the fact that quite literally every single first party game they're putting out is going to be available on PC. Meanwhile, the list of games only on PS4 is massive, and is only getting better. If you have a decent PC, I genuinely see no reason whatsoever to buy an Xbox.

Rurunaki

If anything, Scheier is just pointing out how weak MS lineup has been. It's not even inflammatory, more like a wake up call.

trixx

Xbox don't got shit. I mean best new IP is oriented and the bling forest which was fantastic but that alone can't carry. Killer instinct is also good. But that system needs more.

Any way you spin it seems like an unfair comparison between ps4 and Xbox one. Matter of fact my Wii u provides more entertainment.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

The truth can be pretty inflammatory huh.

Fuck that. Tell it like it is.

Gaz_RB

It's only inflammatory if you're someone who cares way too much one way or another. Crazies will always find a way to get riled up.

reKon

Banned
Firstly, it's not inflammatory. Secondly, it doesn't need to be witty or funny or require much insight, because at this point it's basically a fact. Seriously, look at the exclusive lineup for Xbox. There's uh, Halo, Forza, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive and State of Decay. I genuinely can't think of anything else. That lineup is made even worse due to the fact that quite literally every single first party game they're putting out is going to be available on PC. Meanwhile, the list of games only on PS4 is massive, and is only getting better. If you have a decent PC, I genuinely see no reason whatsoever to buy an Xbox.

Speaking of Sunset, when am I going to get the PC version of this?

The bigger issue is what does MS do to change it? Games and studios take a lot of work, time and commitment to get going, and I am not sure MS has the patience. Meanwhile sony has fostered some very talented studios who seem to be hitting their stride.
To deny at this point there is not a big gap between each system games lineup is delusion.

Why does objectivity matter?

Good title for a philosophy exam question!

If I watch a film review show it isn't because I'm deeply interested in the opinion of whoever is fronting it. I want a reasoned critique. No good saying "Fury Road is rubbish, 0/10, but I only really like romantic comedies": do your job: dig into the pros and cons of the film; what's the cinematography like, the performances, the plot?

There will always be an aspect of personal opinion, and that's what gives a reasonable spread of scores, but if there's no objectivity at all then why bother? Ultimately it reduces down to the Metacritic user scores where it's a binary 10/10 thumbs up or 0/10 thumbs down.

It's not inflammatory. It's a stone cold fact. I say this as someone who enjoys his XB1 and considers Ori and the Blind Forest one of the crowning achievements of this generation.

I don't think what he said wasn't inflammatory at all. It was quite a sober statement. It's not even close, both on a sales front and on an original new IP front. Microsoft really needs to do something if it wants to remain strongly relevant, and it is in our best that they are competitive.

And this is coming from someone who has owned all 3 major platforms at one point or another in the last 3 gens.

He didn't say that the xbox was bad, just that they are not competing on the same level right now.

Soph

Hmm, Eurogamer and Destructoid don't make it out to be a must have yet. Waiting for Edge.

Most other reviewsites I don't really care about.

Brine

No it's not. By pretty much every metric in the real world, it's not.

First of all, it's common knowledge that nobody in the game industry really uses the 1-5 scale on a 10 scale. I'm actually someone that believes they should use the entire scale, but the way publishers reward based on metacritic scores paired with the precedent of scores already set, it's just not going to happen. If reviewers on the whole actually started using the full scale, publishers would need to start rewarding a 70 like they reward what's currently a 90.

Second, if you look outside the gaming industry, 50 in movie reviews would translate to rotten on rotten tomatoes and a movie with that score would be considered a very shitty movie.

Third, in academic grading, a 50% a solid F. You fail the class for that grade as if you never even showed up or took the tests.

Like I said 5/10 means the game is borderline broken in my opinion. Obviously the reviewer who gave the score doesn't feel that way since she didn't say the game was broken.

Well maybe this reviewer uses the entire scale as opposed to the rest of the industry.

Also I never liked comparing it to a grading scale since there's no difference between 0 and 50, since it's only 5 grades, which is technically a normal 5 star system. It's all semantics anyways

It's not about that. It's not 'offending' anyone.
I just think it's a bit petty to just take sides like that representing a gaming news outlet. But that's just me. I don't like circlejerks.

Speaking a fact is a circle jerk? I don't follow, any level headed person would read that and say "Yeah he's right", Ms fans and ms should see it as a sign that yeah, we need to up our game, not get offended and deny reality.

Rurunaki

I just think it's a bit petty to just take sides like that representing a gaming news outlet. But that's just me. I don't like circlejerks.

He's not taking sides though. He's asking for MS to do better to be a competition for Sony so they don't rest on their laurels a.k.a. ps3 era. Circle jerking goes both ways. Check the twitter responses.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Stating facts isnt taking sides. Quite frankly, NOT stating facts is taking sides. You want him to sit there and claim XB1 and PS4 library is on equal footing?

Hmm, Eurogamer and Destructoid don't make it out to be a must have yet. Waiting for Edge.

Hahaha. Looks for reviews that align with my bias, CHECKMATE. So clever bro. Never seen that before...come on man.

Servbot24

Banned
Good title for a philosophy exam question!

If I watch a film review show it isn't because I'm deeply interested in the opinion of whoever is fronting it. I want a reasoned critique. No good saying "Fury Road is rubbish, 0/10, but I only really like romantic comedies": do your job: dig into the pros and cons of the film; what's the cinematography like, the performances, the plot?

There will always be an aspect of personal opinion, and that's what gives a reasonable spread of scores, but if there's no objectivity at all then why bother? Ultimately it reduces down to the Metacritic user scores where it's a binary 10/10 thumbs up or 0/10 thumbs down.
There are plenty of resources you can get that information from already. I would also presume that you're not paying the bill of this particular reviewer and don't have access to their job description.

spannicus

The bigger issue is what does MS do to change it? Games and studios take a lot of work, time and commitment to get going, and I am not sure MS has the patience. Meanwhile sony has fostered some very talented studios who seem to be hitting their stride.
To deny at this point there is not a big gap between each system games lineup is delusion.
What studios are left? Seems like Sony bought all of em. I really hope Microsoft turns up the heat at E3
I feel you.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

If someone that covers the smartphone market said that there's no debate between Apple X LG do you think that they would be taking sides too?

It's simply a reading of the market where one company simply has more success and better unique "features" than the other.

Being from the media shouldn't exclude them from giving their inside opinion.

Xe4

Banned
LiuaH5U.png

well damn

He's not wrong though. Xbox really needs to step it up on the exclusives front. Get a major company to make something that isn't Halo, Forza, or Gears. They were about on par at the beginning of the console gen and seemed to make an effort to bring in new developers to make some pretty inventive games, but they didn't keep up the same pace.

I could balance that out by saying that I pay no attention whatsoever to Polygon, KF, IGN or Giant Bomb. So even though they've apparently given glowing reviews it doesn't matter at all to me.
However since the overwhelming majority are saying this is a great game, it's an easy enough decision to make.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it honestly. And this is from someone who adored the 360.

MS just hasn't been competing well with Sony at all this generation. Scorpio really needs to be a damn good, new start for the division.

fritzo

good scores.

is the digital deluxe worth it for the extra $10?

it includes:

- Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 Game
- The Art of Horizon Zero Dawn Digital Art Book
- Exclusive PS4 Theme
- Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and Mighty Bow
- Banuk Trailblazer Outfit and Culling Bow
- Banuk Traveller Pack
- Carja Trader Pack
- Nora Keeper Pack

Soph

Hahaha. Looks for reviews that align with my bias, CHECKMATE. So clever bro. Never seen that before...come on man.

They are not exactly saying it's shit either, there's just a lot of review sites I already crossed off my list. Wait why are you you attacking me exactly?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I think MS is going to surprise us all by completely removing the distinction between consoles and PCs by adding an "Xbox Mode" to Windows 10 that would be able to run both Xbox One and Xbox 360 games. It would be the logical step for Microsoft after introducing Universal Apps and Xbox Play Anywhere. If MS would allow other manufacturers to make their own "Xboxes", they could completely crush Sony's dominance in the consoles market. And scare the bejeesus out of Valve.

ironcreed

Banned
I love my Xbox One and many of it's features over what Sony offers. But the PS4 kicks it's ass 7 days a week and twice on Sunday when it comes to exclusives. It is what it is.

spannicus

I don't think there's anything wrong with it honestly. And this is from someone who adored the 360.

MS just hasn't been competing well with Sony at all this generation. Scorpio really needs to be a damn good, new start for the division.
I think this is what Microsoft is hoping for. Powerful hardware and fully realized games.

They are not exactly saying it's shit either, there's just a lot of review sites I already crossed off my list. Wait why are you you attacking me exactly?

Attacking? You have an odd definition for attacking. You post is classic confirmation bias. If you are going to ignore 96% of reviews why even bother?

MastAndo

...and just like that, I had the ending spoiled (or at least I think I did) on a YouTube comment that I inadvertently read. Browse carefully, fellas.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If someone that covers the smartphone market said that there's no debate being Apple X LG do you think that they would be taking sides too?

It's simply a reading of the market where one company simply has more success and better unique "features" than the other.

Being from the media shouldn't exclude them from giving their inside opinion.

No, I wouldn't want the writers of my favorite tech blog talking on Twitter about how Apple's iPhone stomps every other smartphone out there in every way, and I say that as a die-hard fan of the iPhone.
I just think there's pros and cons to everything and they get lost in a 144-character blurb like that. Does nothing but rile up people that feel that they are on the 'losing' side.

But please let's move on, shall we? Seems like most here don't feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom