• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I don't see a problem with someone not in the target audience reviewing the game. If someone to whom gameplay is not most important reviews a game focused on gameplay - great! There is now a wider variety of feedback for consumers to browse before buying. Frankly I would like to see more reviews from people who don't like video games at all.

Nice edit taking out the "nerds" part at the end... =]

Man i have actually read through this entire thread without stopping. It's being such a ride of suspense

The main goal: Will HZD finally make it to 90!

The villian: US Gamer being a massive cockblock to the goal and causing outrage

Twist: The reviewer is only working for a couple of weeks and doesn't even like RPGs

Subplot: These insane rabbit holes leading to Zelda comparisons and IP arguments.

The anticipated final Chapter; Edges review

Lol this is great, I'll make sure to write a review up on all of this after it's done.

I've got no opinion or take on the matter, I'm just enjoying the ride

Mubrik

Well that's how the reviewer felt while playing. A few buyers will probably end up feeling that way too. Who cares?

Hey I'm bored and just making discussions.
It doesn't change anything.
Now if GG announces new game + info, I won't even be in this thread.

I like OpenCritic's extra metrics for good context in the modern reviewing era.

Horizon Zero Dawn is ranked in the top 2.0% of games scored on OpenCritic.

Remember standardized testing in middle school and high school? Or the ACT and SAT scoring methods?

Where I'm standing, the 98th percentile of modern games is a really damn awesome place to be.

Mubrik

Man i have actually read through this entire thread without stopping. It's being such a ride of suspense

Twist: The reviewer is only working for a couple of weeks and doesn't even like RPGs

Subplot: These insane rabbit holes leading to Zelda comparisons and IP arguments.

Lol this is great, I'll make sure to write a review up on all of this after it's done.

Too much words.
I need a number/10

qFRTrhP.gif
hahahaha no site can do gifs like gaf, amazing :')

You are making something out of nothing, the thread has been mainly tame, very tame.

Well, at least we dont see "PS4 has no games" crap anymore... its something.

That was dumb 2 years ago and it's even dumber now.

gow3isben

God I'll be mad if another bombshell review comes out from some random food blogger who made it to metacritic, dropping the score to 87. Luckily, currently Horizon is sitting in the top 10% of games with a score of 88 so it has leverage and just a little push and it gets bumped up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
God I'll be mad if another bombshell review comes out from some random food blogger who made it to metacritic, dropping the score to 87. Luckily, currently Horizon is sitting in the top 10% of games with a score of 88 so it has leverage and just a little push and it gets bumped up.

If that legitimately makes you mad, you may need some form of anger management. These threads are always a riot.

Yassss! it'll be spectacular

lcap

Congratulations Guerrilla and all of the team that poured their passion on this project.

This was the game I'm most excited about since its reveal on 2015. Glad to see they delivered.

Now I'm bailing of all Horizon threads until I finish it.

SomTervo

You know the more I think about it the more impressed I am with Horizon's score. Think about it. This is a post Witcher age. Open world is torturously commonplace and it still managed to break ground and impress. Congrats. If it came out a couple years ago it would be lauded as one of the GOAT games ever likely. I really think people will be disappointed with Zelda's score, not because it is a bad game, it will be amazing but because reviewers will be judging it very harshly.

Just trying to live up to joecanada's legacy. Man what an epic joke that was. I am literally showing it to all my friends right now and they are in tears cackling like hyenas. About to skype call my grandparents to tell them about it as well, just to lift their spirits since their dog died.
Well said re post-Witcher

I don't get it, some people are bitter this is good?
Nah it's more like the higher the score and the more praise it gets, people who play exclusively on other platforms just want to point out they are playing something superior. The higher the meta goes, the more they need to justify their purchase or something like that lol.

It would have been worse if Horizon scores a 93 or something lol.oh yeah that is being bitter you're right lolzz

I always find these threads immensely fascinating, can't say I understand why people take so much stock in reviews that they keep refreshing a page to see a number change, but its definitely fascinating.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Really good scores all around which is nice, now my question is, is it mostly the presentation/story that is praised, or is the gameplay also good/interesting in a Monster Hunter-like way as what was promised by the early videos?

Servbot24

Banned
Really good scores all around which is nice, now my question is, is it mostly the presentation/story that is praised, or is the gameplay also good/interesting in a Monster Hunter-like way as what was promised by the early videos?

Read the reviews and find out. :)

New York Time already made a review?They gave 4/10 to Uncharted 4,6/10 to Resident Evil 7 and 6/10 to Ni-Oh

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
It was legit but figured I'd keep my statement free of distractions :p

No more outrage needed, =P

On topic, I agree with your assertion that reviews should be made by people of all kinds and tastes. But I think that the poster explained well why he thinks the review is lacking.

I think that she explained well why the game doesn't deserve a 10, but made a poor effort of saying why it reaches at least a 5.

Let's think about a situation where her review was the only one in the world, everybody that eventually read it would know that the story might be lacking, the quests are so-so and Aloy is a bad character.

But what about the controls, the combat system, the user experience. Does the game feels "good" to play? The story is garbage, but how is the content delivered?

I agree that every review is someones opinion and people can give even 0 if they think that it deserves it, but it would be great if every review could try to cover as many aspects of the product as they can.

While the Engadget review can be seen as a positive version as this one, I think it has the same "problem", even if the reviewer manages to talk about other point a little better.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Nah it's more like the higher the score and the more praise it gets, people who play exclusively on other platforms just want to point out they are playing something superior. The higher the meta goes, the more they need to justify their purchase or something like that lol.

It would have been worse if Horizon scores a 93 or something lol.

I don't see that very often. Actually the way I see review threads is more bitterness that it's not getting 9s and 10s exclusively. The ones making all the noise are the fanboys of the consoles game being reviewed.

Anticol

Banned
This comes out on the 28th. Hopefully I can finish my ng+ run of Nioh by then. Fuck man I still have gravity rush 2 and yakuza 0. Gaf, how? HOW?

Idk man, I am playing yakuza 0 and it's amazing but haven't been able to start Nioh, The Last Guardian, Dishonored 2 nor GR2, and I have to buy this as well.

guyssorry

Glad to see this game reviewing well. I really love its aesthetics. Very beautiful. Also, happy to hear that the gameplay is pretty great. Will definitely pick it up sometime in the future once I watch a bunch of gameplay videos to see if its open world is too tedious or not

SomTervo

I get it in as much as it helps pass the time until the game releases. People inevitably go stir crazy. But yeah there are political forces at work v

newjeruse

I'm not sure I can think of a game that knocked its unveiling out of the park, maintained that enthusiasm during the course of development, and executed perfectly on that potential like H:ZD has.

The way a game is finally received is so often driven by peoples' expectations. The fact that Horizon had huge expectations throughout development and delivered is a big credit to Hulst and GG, who have almost assuredly risen through the SIE power rankings during that time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
We know that in a few weeks GAF will have some users whose opinions on HZD will fall in line with the US Gamer review. In fact they are already over it, and just don't realize it yet.

In truth, not everyone is going to like a game as much as their peers, and the dissenting opinion should be considered as legit as the others. In fact, if you are on the fence about the game, its good to have a "negative" review to read and compare and see how it affects your decision to purchase.

I don't see that very often. Actually the way I see review threads is more bitterness that it's not getting 9s and 10s exclusively. The ones making all the noise are the fanboys of the consoles game being reviewed.
Oh yeah it's some of that too...Horizon is sandwiched with Zelda though so I think it's a bit more even with this thread instead of the usual "nananaana I'm playing these awesome exclusives mindset" I genuinely like to see games break through the 90's cuz it's so rare, it's awesome to see what games get the most praise.

Nioh for example didn't have a review thread like this. I don't think Nier will. Gran Turismo though?! It'll be insane because of Forza.

I don't see a problem with someone not in the target audience reviewing the game. If someone to whom gameplay is not most important reviews a game focused on gameplay - great! There is now a wider variety of feedback for consumers to browse before buying. Frankly I would like to see more reviews from people who don't like video games at all.

why would you even trust the opinion of someone who doesn't like the medium? Because somehow it makes it more objective?

I'm not sure I can think of a game that knocked its unveiling out of the park, maintained that enthusiasm during the course of development, and executed perfectly on that potential like H:ZD has.

The way a game is finally received is so often driven by peoples' expectations. The fact that Horizon had huge expectations throughout development and delivered is a big credit to Hulst and GG, who have almost assuredly risen through the SIE power rankings during that time.

Yep, perfectly executed starting from the first reveal and it's looked impressive every single time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh yeah it's some of that too...Horizon is sandwiched with Zelda though so I think it's a bit more even.

Nioh for example didn't have a review thread like this. I don't think Nier will. Gran Turismo though?! It'll be insane because of Forza.

Yeah that causes some of it. I think it has more to do with console wars fodder and people enjoy having more "ammo"to fire at the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom