• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mubrik

I'm not sure I can think of a game that knocked its unveiling out of the park, maintained that enthusiasm during the course of development, and executed perfectly on that potential like H:ZD has.

The way a game is finally received is so often driven by peoples' expectations. The fact that Horizon had huge expectations throughout development and delivered is a big credit to Hulst and GG, who have almost assuredly risen through the SIE power rankings during that time.
Bloodborne

Gorillaz

Hol up

Gertsmann giving a 5/5 on this?

drewblink.gif

He isn't "moved"easily so I need receipts. Imma need to hear the breakdown of this on the podcast

We know that in a few weeks GAF will have some users whose opinions on HZD will fall in line with the US Gamer review. In fact they are already over it, and just don't realize it yet.

In truth, not everyone is going to like a game as much as their peers, and the dissenting opinion should be considered as legit as the others. In fact, if you are on the fence about the game, its good to have a "negative" review to read and compare and see how it affects your decision to purchase.

On the flip side of that argument, should I review The Witness even though I hate puzzle games and know Im going to give it a low score...much lower than 99% of other reviewers? What sense does that make?

As a reader, why would you want to read the review from a person that doesn't even like the genre?

Druckman should be taking a picture of them both

c5ghzsxxuaa9t-5s7kim.jpg

Yeah, i have nothing to do lol

:p

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm not sure I can think of a game that knocked its unveiling out of the park, maintained that enthusiasm during the course of development, and executed perfectly on that potential like H:ZD has.

The way a game is finally received is so often driven by peoples' expectations. The fact that Horizon had huge expectations throughout development and delivered is a big credit to Hulst and GG, who have almost assuredly risen through the SIE power rankings during that time.

Yes it's very rare so it's worth mentioning. One of those rare times when the unveiling exactly matches the final game. Impressive feat.

farisr

Bloodborne
Nah, lots of people were disappointed that all we officially got was a CG trailer when it was first revealed/announced. Early closed door impressions also had reports of lots of framerate issues and what not. So I wouldn't say it knocked it out of the park with the unveil. People were just generally excited because of who it was by, and by some of the leaked footage that was not official. Gamescom onwards though, everything was on point.

On the flip side of that argument, should I review The Witness even though I hate puzzle games and know Im going to give it a low score...much lower than 99% of other reviewers? What sense does that make?

As a reader, why would you want to read the review from a person that doesn't even like the genre?

When did the US Gamer reviewer state that she doesn't like open world games? Because I read the review, and she didn't say that at all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Nah, lots of people were disappointed that all we officially got was a CG trailer when it was revealed. Early closed door impressions also had reports of lots of framerate issues and what not. So I wouldn't say it knocked it out of the park with the unveil.

Oh god yeah I was at e3 that year and the frame rate was around 10-15. Still the game play looked hype

Vice

To read an opinion from someone with similar tastes. Its easy to get caught up in the hype of constant 5/5s and 9s from people who like the genre. A differing voice can help those who are leary about the genre and want to hear from someone like them.
Its not too different from getting someone who enjoys the genre to review it.

Mubrik

When did the US Gamer reviewer state that she doesn't like open world games? Because I read the review, and she didn't say that at all.
She didn't say that.
But she did complain about how the usual open world was annoying (fetch quest and alike).
Which is standard in open world games
*Familiar boring grind* I think she said

Nah, lots of people were disappointed that all we officially got was a CG trailer when it was first revealed/announced. Early closed door impressions also had reports of lots of framerate issues and what not. So I wouldn't say it knocked it out of the park with the unveil. People were just generally excited because of who it was by, and by some of the leaked footage that was not official. Gamescom onwards though, everything was on point.

Hmm true.

Apathy

Not that I like the US-Gamer review score but come on people, she is allowed to have an opinion that may differ. Her score doesn't change how much you'll enjoy the game or how good it actually is. Just play it and have fun

hydruxo

I remember seeing that leaked concept art years ago and thinking "man there's no way this ever happens", and well...here we are. And it's a top tier game too. What a time to be a gamer.

Trup1aya

Wow far better scores than I expected. Glad to see GG was allowed to get away from Killzone and used the opportunity to make something exceptional!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I always expected it to review well, my fear has always been performance, how well will it run, so I'm still waiting for Digital Foundry to do a tech analysis before I jump in as I'm far more sensitive to technical issues than most.

firelogic

I always expected it to review well, my fear has always been performance, how well will it run, so I'm still waiting for Digital Foundry to do a tech analysis before I jump in as I'm far more sensitive to technical issues than most.

They already did. They called it a "technical masterpiece" both on the regular PS4 and the Pro. Runs at pretty much a locked 30fps on both platforms with a few frames dropped here and there. Perfect frame pacing as well.

For anyone interested, here's a breakdown of the Metacritic reviews.

74 Reviews
88% average

Score - Number of reviews
100 - 5
98 - 3
97 - 1
96 - 1
95 - 8
93 - 3
92 - 3
90 - 24
88 - 3
87 - 2
85 - 5
80 - 11
75 - 1
70 - 2
50 - 1

48 out of 74 gave 90% and above
21 out of 74 gave 80% - 88%
4 out of 74 gave 75% and below

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I've only skimmed parts of the review but there wasn't anything there I saw that stated she disliked 3rd person action/adventure games, so that seems like an inference there.
Second, there are more than enough people that are sort of burnt out on the mechanations a lot of these games employ, so its good to have a review that addresses that.
And if the reviewer really comes across as if they don't care for the genre, then the reader should be able to take that into account when assessing their review.

It's a technical masterpiece, Digital foundry article is out.

LiuaH5U.png

well damn

He's not wrong.

Loved my time with Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 - especially online. Outside of the two games I've not really played much else on my brother's Xbox.

Msoft are definitely in need of a push on the exclusives front. The cancellation of Scalebound really soured me on them - being a huge platinum games and kamiya fan, I was quite excited for it given the quotes of it being Kamiya's dream game.

Quantum Break didn't capture me quite as well as Alan Wake did (Alan Wake 2 reveal with scorpio PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) and I've never been a huge crackdown fan. I have no reason to look forward to a scorpio, besides the bump in resolution for third party games. I'd much rather look to invest in a ps4pro to experience TLoU2, TLG and Horizon in their full glory or upgrade my PC as i've been wanting to do for a while now.

I agree that every review is someones opinion and people can give even 0 if they think that it deserves it

No, they can't.

Sorry, I've been lurking and enjoying the thread, but I cannot let that pass.

0/10 doesn't mean 'not for me' or 'I didn't enjoy it': Take the same game, but give it completely broken collision detection, give it random errors that corrupt your save file, give it 1fps and 540p resolution. Is it worse? Nope, apparently not, because you've already hit rock bottom.

There needs to be some objectivity to any review, otherwise the review (and eventually the reviewer) becomes meaningless.

Well in any case, lots of us NOW know that there's a gaming site called "US gamer" and they employ a journalist named Cathy MacHarty that has written five (5) articles about video games. One being the review and others about Pokémon Go and the likes and another one about the character's Biw and arrow weapon in this game.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
No, they can't.

0/10 doesn't mean 'not for me' or 'I didn't enjoy it': Take the same game, but give it completely broken collision detection, give it random errors that corrupt your save file, give it 1fps and 540p resolution. Is it worse? Nope, apparently not, because you've already hit rock bottom.

There needs to be some objectivity to any review, otherwise the review (and eventually the reviewer) becomes meaningless.

That's why the reviewer needs to back up their score with explanations, and you as the reader need to evaluate if their reasoning is enough to convince you.

Maybe the game is technically competent but tackle a theme in a way that the review thinks is inexcusable (like rape, drugs, slavery, etc).

And there's no problem in someone churning out bad reviews, as you said, someday they will simple be meaningless and fade out.

Servbot24

Banned
No, they can't.

Why does objectivity matter? Just read the review, figure out if it's useful to you, and if it is then use it in your purchasing decision.

Sorry if this has been asked already. Is there an option for a more minimalist HUD? I was watching a video of the game and was really annoyed by the number of indicators, maps, icons, numbers, etc on the screen at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom