• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
Hmm almost like
quantum break (cinematic 3rd person action)
Recore (ARPG)
Sunset Overdrive (open world RPG)
Forza Motorsport (sim racing)
Forza Horizon (open world arcade racing)
halo (FPS)
Gears (TPS)
Ryse (action Adventure)
Crackdown (sandbox open world RPG)
Sea of Thieves (shared world MMO type game)
Dead Rising (open world RPG/Zombie survival)
State of Decay 2 (MMO/zombie survival)
D4 (story pick your adventure style game)
Gigantic (MOBA)
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)

hmm yup never mind i must be wrong it's a halo box only just for FPS players
/Sarcasm

D4, Gigantic, Dead Rising, Record, Ryse were below average. Halo 5 and Gears haven't reviewed as well as Uncharted 4.

Peoples aren't listing games like Tales of Berseria, Killzone Shadowfall, inFamous Second Son and The Order to make a point.

People are listing games like Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nioh, Horizon to state that Sony are releasing not only more exclusives bit higher reviewed exclusives.

Mikey Jr.

Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Horizon
Crash Collection
Wipeout Omega Collection
Nier
Persona 5
Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age
Gran Turismo Sport
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Knack 2
Ni No Kuni 2
Ace Combat 7
Hellblade

Maybe one of the following for Q4?
Days Gone
Detroit
Dreams
God of War

Sony is killing it in 2017 when it comes to exclusives.

Tons of third party games too. Thats the thing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Horizon
Crash Collection
Wipeout Omega Collection
Nier
Persona 5
Gran Turismo Sport
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Knack 2
Ni No Kuni 2
Ace Combat 7
Hellblade

Days Gone
Detroit
Dreams
God of War

Their exclusives are no doubt stacked, but I always think remasters and the like is stupid.

Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Horizon
Crash Collection
Wipeout Omega Collection
Nier (PC as well)
Persona 5
Gran Turismo Sport
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Knack 2
Ni No Kuni 2
Ace Combat 7 (Multiplatform: XB1 and PC)
Hellblade

Days Gone
Detroit
Dreams
God of War

Indeed this year is off to a roaring start for Sony, but thought I should point out that Ace Combat 7 has been confirmed for PC/XB1: http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/01/26/former-ps4-exclusive-ace-combat-7-coming-to-xbox-one-and-pc

Edit: looks like I was beaten on Ace Combat. Very happy for it to be multiplat so more people can play!

D4, Gigantic, Dead Rising, Record, Ryse were below average. Halo 5 and Gears haven't reviewed as well as Uncharted 4.

Peoples aren't listing games like Tales of Berseria, Killzone Shadowfall, inFamous Second Son and The Order to make a point.

People are listing games like Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nioh, Horizon to state that Sony are releasing not only more exclusives bit higher reviewed exclusives.

Stop, your only throwing wood to the fire.

Strakt

The bulk, mass-market AAA core player doesn't care about that.

This is just an example, but Overwatch. The MAJORITY of the 25 million players that play are on PC. A console will never negate the need for a PC especially for competitive games.

timlot

Banned
Surprise, surprise this has become a console war thread.

I'm not surprised. Xbox or XB1 has already been mentioned over 60 times in a thread about Horizon reviews. We all know PS4 has more exclusives, but it seems some just need to reinforce the point regardless of the OP.

What's interesting is not whether one is ahead of the other, imo, it's that the differences are so small in comparison to the glory days of the PS2. Being ahead by a handful of key games is all that the clear market leader can manage in the era of homogenous "everything on every system" gaming.

I pretty much disagree. I'd say there's a lot more than a handful of games right now.

Hmm almost like
Recore (ARPG)
halo (FPS)
Gears (TPS)
Ryse (action Adventure)
Gigantic (MOBA)
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)

/Sarcasm
Aren't those all coming out on PC too?

KAL2006

Banned
Their exclusives are no doubt stacked, but I always think remasters and the like is stupid.

Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Horizon
Nier
Persona 5
Gran Turismo Sport
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Knack 2
Ni No Kuni 2
Hellblade

Days Gone
Detroit
Dreams
God of War

I've removed the remasters even the Crash remake. And the lineup is still insane. For me personally Horizon and Uncharted Lost Legacy and Persona 5 make the year. Also note I haven't included super niche games like Tales of Berseria or indie exclusives

Elandyll

Banned
Detroit later this year, Days Gone for March next year, and God of War for late 2018. Spiderman... I don't see it coming before 2019, same for DS and TLoU2.

Edit : Holy moly it's true, Gran Turismo Sport...
God of War playable start to finish as of Dec 2016 and you think it'll be pushed to late 2018? o_O

Imo GoW and Dreams this year, with GTS, Days Gone and Detroit next year, alongside Spiderman. Wild is the big unknown, but guessing 2019 with TLOU2 and SP new IP.

I'm not surprised. Xbox or XB1 has already been mentioned over 60 times in a thread about Horizon reviews. We all know PS4 has more exclusives, but it seems some just need to reinforce the point regardless of the OP.

Impressive stats. Just goes to show the kind of mindshare Microsoft has in the gaming market!

iMax

Hmm almost like
Recore (ARPG)
halo (FPS)
Gears (TPS)
Ryse (action Adventure)
Gigantic (MOBA)
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)

/Sarcasm

None of the titles listed here hold a candle to Sony's exclusive catalogue, at least from category-defining, industry-shifting standpoint. That is what Microsoft needs to find.

Agram

giphy.gif

Maybe I should've read the start of this conversation are we listing games because of excitement of what's next for PlayStation or WAs it a list war thing if the latter im ashamed I contributed

Hmm almost like
Recore (ARPG)
halo (FPS)
Gears (TPS)
Ryse (action Adventure)
Gigantic (MOBA)
Halo Wars 2 (RTS)

/Sarcasm

What is the point of this? You are only highlighting the differences between the two.

iMax

This is just an example, but Overwatch. The MAJORITY of the 25 million players that play are on PC. A console will never negate the need for a PC especially for competitive games.

Yeah absolutely but I'm talking about the bulk of the core gamer market; those that primarily consume the CODs and the Maddens, for example. Plenty of console gamers (I'd wager the vast majority, actually) don't game on PCs.

A lot of people say that XPA makes the Xbox redundant. But I think a lot of people choose not to play games on their PC full-time because they like playing on their console. So for those people, it's i) just an added convenience for the times they do, and ii) helps Microsoft push Windows 10 hardware.

edit: hadn't appreciated how much this thread is veering off course, so I'll conclude with that! :)

Strakt

Yeah absolutely but I'm talking about the bulk of the core gamer market; those that primarily consume the CODs and the Maddens, for example. Plenty of console gamers (I'd wager the vast majority, actually) don't game on PCs.

A lot of people say that XPA makes the Xbox redundant. But I think a lot of people choose not to play games on their PC full-time because they like playing on their console. So for those people, it's i) just an added convenience for the times they do, and ii) helps Microsoft push Windows 10 hardware.

Yea for sure but it doesn't negate anything

Anyways, cant wait for horizon!

How often do review threads get locked?

Either way, let's all just be happy that Horizon is headed for a lot of success. I questioned GG after only enjoying Killzone 2, but making something new for them clearly paid off. If I had the money I'd certainly be getting this tonight

Genuinely thought I'd clicked on the wrong thread when I saw the first few posts at the top of the page. Back on topic, I'm still quite amazed at how well this game has reviewed.

KAL2006

Banned
So looking at the reviews this game is like a mix of Far Cry 4 and The Witcher 3. Is that the best way to describe this. The 3 things that excite me is the immersive world to explore, the lore and story and the looting/gaining XP

I'm glad that I cancelled my Switch order few weeks back, this just reafirms my decision, not that I'm not excited for Zelda bit just don't have the time to play 2 huge open world action RPGs.

Papacheeks

Banned
Hope they make a sequel with Aloy.

Would they have a separate team to be able to have them work on Killzone with what they learned from this game?

Feel like a open world style third person killzone game with tactics could be really cool in the killzone universe especially if they take it to other planets with alien life.

or after this game being a success which I'm certain it will, are they done with that for a while and concentrating on this series if it does continue?

Hey, look, reviews

http://mashable.com/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-review/#muA79SEuK5qm
Game over. I sigh and reload. The world of Horizon: Zero Dawn is many things, but chief among those: it is unpredictable.

This is a game of moments. The kind, like the above Thunderjaw anecdote — a thing that really did happen during my 32-hour journey — that are unique to your experience and, as such, stick with you. Plenty of open world games describe themselves as a "sandbox," but Horizon forces you to get dirty.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/horizon-zero-dawn-review-release-date-ps4
This is not hyperbole: Horizon Zero Dawn, the new post-apocalyptic adventure from developer Guerrilla Games, is one of the most beautiful games ever made. With lush forests, frosty slopes, barren desert plains, vast skies, vivid colours and dynamic weather systems, Horizon’s sprawling open world is a technical marvel. If you’re lucky enough to be playing on a PS4 Pro with a 4K HDR-enabled TV, like we have been, then you’re in for an unforgettable treat. It's simply breathtaking.

Loudninja

While I have 42 hours of playtime clocked into Horizon: Zero Dawn, it feels as though the surface has barely been scratched. Similarly to my saved game in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, there are dozens of quests that I have yet to complete outside of the main storyline, each with their own unique characters and backstories. These quests range from finding lost members of a tribe to uncovering a complicated mystery behind the machines. Not once did I find any of the sidequests to be dull or repetitive. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for other games such as Mafia III and Final Fantasy XV—both which contain mind-numbing fetch quests. It’s always a pleasant surprise to find developers such as Guerrilla Games putting effort into designing fresh and original side-content
To simply put it, there is a certain appeal to Horizon: Zero Dawn which I have not found in any other open-world RPG game. Perhaps it is the addition of shiny robots to the mix or the story of Aloy herself. Either way, this game has my full attention and I wouldn't call it anything less than stellar. If I had to compare it to another game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Shadow of Mordor would be on the top of my list. When compared to these two titles, Horizon is riddled with less bugs, more engaging combat, and successfully incorporates stealth gameplay. Try and guess what I’ll be playing for the next few weeks.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/horizon-zero-dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom