• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Are you really getting bent out of shape about this? The thoughts were split with some people saying it looked good, others saying it looked like a generic open world game. Hell nzymes post was completely benign. How is he not being sensible? He basically said he's not into that type of game but good for those who are.

Not that i consider it something worth losing a night's sleep, but I wouldn't call his post benign.

Saying that people interested are either easily marketed to or fanboys satiating their own ego is something really stupid.

And closing it with a "it's good to be outside and see things for what it is" is extremely patronizing.

But that's really OT, he doesn't posted in here and there's no need to serve crow to anyone.

Tigress

Are you really getting bent out of shape about this? The thoughts were split with some people saying it looked good, others saying it looked like a generic open world game. Hell nzymes post was completely benign. How is he not being sensible? He basically said he's not into that type of game but good for those who are.

He pretty much said if you were excited for the game either you were some casual who wasn't that picky about what you played or just console warrior who just wants their console to look good. He was pretty much insulting anyone who was excited for the game and downplaying why they were excited to either being some one who didn't really care about games that much and didn't know what was good or had an agenda to promote a console.

You don't understand why some one who is excited for the game might find that a little offensive? Like I couldn't possibly be excited cause it looks monster hunterish combat with big robot dinosaurs and a female protagonist who for once is designed to look tough first and not designed to look sexy (not saying she isn't pretty but you can tell that is not the main aim of her character design). And also I tend to be a sucker for post apocalypse settings. Nope, I'm either a casual that doesn't know what a good game really is or I'm a PlayStation fan tha just wants to push PlayStation.

I fail to see what you actually saw as sensible about his post? Or were you even looking at the same post that is in question?

CEJames

The first few pages of this thread were really great to read. The Hype is real and only increased by the crazy high reviews for this game.

My PlayStation Pro is ready.

:)

giphy.gif
tumblr_ns7yrbaSCB1qdt5aqo1_400.gif

Neoweee

Did any of the reviews play through on Hard for their first time? I have to decide between Hard and Very Hard, but Very Hard has a bunch of one-hit-kills through the early parts of the game, I hear. Does it eventually even out as you grind and upgrade?

Apathy

Yeah, the Witcher 3 combat was poor.

I always dreaded when I had to fight something. Also, it didn't run great on PS4 out of the gate. Took a couple of patches.

Also, its Witcher THREE. Give Guerilla a chance, haha. Witcher 1 was terrible.

That's another big point. If people are saying as good as witcher 3 or better for their first open world RPG, that says a lot.

Apathy

With how good the reviews are, the word of mouth will probably make this sell well enough for a sequel bit I wonder if they can put one out before Sony's next system or if it'll still be ps4/crossgen

J-Skee

Really, gg should never touch killzone again and build their reputation un this IP.

Also, lol at that ubi slap

Or they could reinvent Killzone the same way the Santa Monica reinvented God of War. I don't know what form it would it take, but I don't think they should completely leave it alone.

This thread is a whirlwind. All I wanted was reviews. Now somehow, after Zelda, Xbox is on the fray. State of Decay 2 will be awesome and some people will still prefer consoles from PC so it'll still be a good reason to buy One.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not that i consider it something worth losing a night's sleep, but I wouldn't call his post benign.

Saying that people interested are either easily marketed to or fanboys satiating their own ego is something really stupid.

And closing it with a "it's good to be outside and see things for what it is" is extremely patronizing.

But that's really OT, he doesn't posted in here and there's no need to serve crow to anyone.

He pretty much said if you were excited for the game either you were some casual who wasn't that picky about what you played or just console warrior who just wants their console to look good. He was pretty much insulting anyone who was excited for the game and downplaying why they were excited to either being some one who didn't really care about games that much and didn't know what was good or had an agenda to promote a console.

You don't understand why some one who is excited for the game might find that a little offensive? Like I couldn't possibly be excited cause it looks monster hunterish combat with big robot dinosaurs and a female protagonist who for once is designed to look tough first and not designed to look sexy (not saying she isn't pretty but you can tell that is not the main aim of her character design). And also I tend to be a sucker for post apocalypse settings. Nope, I'm either a casual that doesn't know what a good game really is or I'm a PlayStation fan tha just wants to push PlayStation.

I fail to see what you actually saw as sensible about his post? Or were you even looking at the same post that is in question?

I can see that side of it, and he may have generalized it too much for sure so I shouldn't have used the word benign, but I don't think he meant to universally include everyone, I think he was more confused why the hype was through the roof. The fact of the matter is I can partially see his point of view. I say partially because I was hyped on this game from the reveal... but he's right in regards to people taking hype to new levels whenever it is an exclusive. I can safely say a huge chunk of people are in for the graphics, and a huge chunk of people are in just because of the console it's on. There are also plenty of people in because the game looks fantastic, it's his fault for not seeing that, but w.e

Also again saying the whole thread was full of that is a little overblown because it was like 3 people and there were at least 2 or 3 who were refuting the idea that it didn't warrant the hype.

Loudninja

Elsewhere, settlements and camps form a rag-tag civilization. Humans of this world have been reduced back to a tribal state, and each tribe has its own identity shaped by historical victories and grievances and various theories on the nature of their strange existence, devoid of a sense of their true history. Guerrilla has done an enormous amount of seductive world-building here, and I spent a great deal of time just wandering around settlements listening to elders tell elaborate tales of gods to children or seeking stories of misplaced vengeance in the crowds.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/20/horizon-zero-dawn-review

With how good the reviews are, the word of mouth will probably make this sell well enough for a sequel bit I wonder if they can put one out before Sony's next system or if it'll still be ps4/crossgen

Maybe they can do a Zelda and release at the launch of PS5.

For the sequel I want them to add sea and sky battles. That would be epic.

Tonky

Sony's first party studios have a lot to live up to now. SSM, get your shit together for GoW and come back from the disaster that was Darkside. ND, make sure TLOU Part II is the best damn game we've ever played. SP, whatever the fuck you're working on better be sci-fi related if it ain't Infamous. Guerrilla Games just made hunting robot dinosaurs with a female red-headed protagonist work. Y'all got no more excuses with your safe ass games. Take some damn risks.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
what the heck is going on in this thread, all cause a game some may have been skeptical abbout got good review scores, isnt that something pretty open and shut

atr0cious

Wait...what the..that is some patronizing, hateful stuff. And to think, I was defending Nzyme earlier, based on the fact that he is usually quite a sensible poster. Not in that thread it seems.
The highly positive reception to the game must be annoying the hell out of them. Silly people.
You folks need to grow up and reassess your life if those inane comments are making you respond like that. Can't wait till April so all the review shitposting surrounding this game can dissipate.

Zackat

what the heck is going on in this thread, all cause a game some may have been skeptical abbout got good review scores, isnt that something pretty open and shut

aren't all review threads always like this?

I knew this game was gonna be good day 1

They already did. They called it a "technical masterpiece" both on the regular PS4 and the Pro. Runs at pretty much a locked 30fps on both platforms with a few frames dropped here and there. Perfect frame pacing as well.

For anyone interested, here's a breakdown of the Metacritic reviews.

74 Reviews
88% average

Score - Number of reviews
100 - 5
98 - 3
97 - 1
96 - 1
95 - 8
93 - 3
92 - 3
90 - 24
88 - 3
87 - 2
85 - 5
80 - 11
75 - 1
70 - 2
50 - 1

48 out of 74 gave 90% and above
21 out of 74 gave 80% - 88%
4 out of 74 gave 75% and below
wow...seems like it should be higher, like 90 or 91. Not enough perfect scores though I guess.

If I had to guess Detroit: Become Human & GT Sport this year.

God of War, Days Gone, Spider-Man - 2018

TLOU 2, Death Stranding, SP New IP - 2019
SP's game came out 3 years ago. That ish better be summer 2018 at the fucking latest. I suspect it gets a reveal at the beginning or end of E3 this year. Days Gone also has been in dev for what seems like forever.

Detroit, GT Sport (smh..), Days Gone, Spidey I think will all be 2017.
GoW4, Media Molecule game, Bloodborne II will be 2018.
TLOU2, Death Stranding, Killzone anotherOne.gif 2019.

Maybe Studio Japan can finally pull off a big AAA game. Only one in a decade it seems is The Last Guardian other then helping other studios or creating AA games. Which I'm totally ok with, but no reason not create what every single game wants, Legend of Dragoon reboot.

Sony's first party studios have a lot to live up to now. SSM, get your shit together for GoW and come back from the disaster that was Darkside. ND, make sure TLOU Part II is the best damn game we've ever played. SP, whatever the fuck you're working on better be sci-fi related if it ain't Infamous. Guerrilla Games just made hunting robot dinosaurs with a female red-headed protagonist work. Y'all got no more excuses with your safe ass games. Take some damn risks.
You just take shots a ND brah? Joel is gonna come swinging at you real soon.

Looking at previews of this game, for as much stuff that GG seems to have gotten "right" with combat, controls, etc, there was always the lingering concern that there were also a lot of generic elements that may feel too familiar.

A lot of reviews seem to be praising the execution of said stuff in the context of the game design and moment-to-moment, which was the most surprising thing here (aside from big story praise). Of course, because it's a subject matter of how it's executed and not so much the content itself being starkly different, the reviews that was lukewarm on it are also no surprise.

Bravo to GG for an excellent first outing. I know GG's talented hire are praised for the game, but really, when I look at the core of the game's standout moments, the robots designer and combat designer are not some mercenary hires from other studios, but rather long-time GG devs who's been with the team since the early Killzone days.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
aren't all review threads always like this?

I knew this game was gonna be good day 1

i wanted it to be good but had no idea what to expect out of GG's first open world and thought that the design choices in the game would hold it back critically, glad to see it was a success

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
I can see that side of it, and he may have generalized it too much for sure so I shouldn't have used the word benign, but I don't think he meant to universally include everyone, I think he was more confused why the hype was through the roof. The fact of the matter is I can partially see his point of view. I say partially because I was hyped on this game from the reveal... but he's right in regards to people taking hype to new levels whenever it is an exclusive. I can safely say a huge chunk of people are in for the graphics, and a huge chunk of people are in just because of the console it's on. There are also plenty of people in because the game looks fantastic, it's his fault for not seeing that, but w.e

Also again saying the whole thread was full of that is a little overblown because it was like 3 people and there were at least 2 or 3 who were refuting the idea that it didn't warrant the hype.

Yep, as I said is not something really important, and it's not like the thread went pages bashing the game.

I don't know him or the quality of his posts, it's just that what he wrote, in a thread that surely is frequented mostly by PC players, sounded kind of bad.

And I don't see the problem in people being in just for the graphics, I consider myself a frequent gamer, but when I look at Star Citizen I'm only amazed by how unbelievable the graphics are, even if I had read countless paragraphs about all the things the game is doing under the hood.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yep, as I said is not something really important, and it's not like the thread went pages bashing the game.

I don't know him or the quality of his posts, it's just that what he wrote, in a thread that surely is frequented mostly by PC players, sounded kind of bad.

And I don't see the problem in people being in just for the graphics, I consider myself a frequent gamer, but when I look at Star Citizen I'm only amazed by how unbelievable the graphics are, even if I had read countless paragraphs about all the things the game is doing under the hood.

I don't see a problem with it either, I don't think he ever said there was a problem with being in for graphics though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really happy to see this game so well received. I've been a fan of Guerrilla for a while and the concept for this game has captured my imagination since the initial concept art leak. If only I didn't have to wait another week to play it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom