• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Noctua DH-14 awaiting installation, but with all these Cooler Master 212 praises lately I'm starting to second guess my purchase. Did I choose correctly?

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
The Lanboy seems to be okay in terms of design, but it's the ugliest case I've seen in a long time, and very overpriced to boot.

It's really expensive, but holy crap is it well made. I still have the one with the handle, and I doubt I'll ever dump it.

"I have the Noctua DH-14 awaiting installation, but with all these Cooler Master 212 praises lately I'm starting to second guess my purchase. Did I choose correctly?"

The Cooler Master 212 praise is well deserved, but it's praise is due to its performance in its price range. The Noctua is unquestionably a better heatsink, as are most respectable products in the Noctua's price range.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chiggs said:
It's really expensive, but holy crap is it well made. I still have the one with the handle, and I doubt I'll ever dump it.

Like I said, it's their only case that seems to be good and modern in terms of design. Can't fault you for liking that one.

From what I've seen, the Three Hundred and Nine Hundred Two are fairly well made, but man they are just not fun to work with at all. Cooler Master, Silverstone, and Corsair are the current case leaders, IMO (and we'll include Lian-Li just because they do also create some fairly interesting esoteric designs).

Smokey

black_vegeta said:
I have the Noctua DH-14 awaiting installation, but with all these Cooler Master 212 praises lately I'm starting to second guess my purchase. Did I choose correctly?

Meh. That's a beast cooler as well.

I opened up my case and put the pump from the H70 on the CPU_FAN header and the fans around the radiator on the CHA_FAN1 header. So now at least the fans will move in accordance with the needs of the CPU.

Still have the hyper 212 in the box. I REALLY don't want to take out everything and install this sumbitch :/

squicken

TheExodu5 said:
I'd always get the 320 over the 510. The 510 wins in sequential speeds, but loses in random speeds, and also doesn't have the proven reliability of the Intel controller (as the 510 uses a Marvell controller). The 320 is also much cheaper. You might notice a small difference in game loading times, but that's it. The 320 is still pretty much as fast as any of the last gen Sandforce drives, but with the proven reliability of the X-25M. Good deal.

If he has SATA III ports he'd be crazy not to go with the 510. And the controller is only part of it. The 510 uses Intel's own 34nm NAND, versus the 320's Intel 25nm NAND.

That said I'd wait for the rest of the Sandforce 2200 drives to hit the market and get some downward pressure on OCZ. Corsair Force 3 should be out early next month.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I know I've been in here asking some questions but now I have a bit more clarity on what I'm going to do and I need some advice. My uncle is going to be helping me get a new computer as a college graduation gift sine my laptop died, I'm on an iPad right now, and I'd like to build a decent gaming rig. However, he's not too keen on letting me build it myself. Are there any places aside from Alienware that I could get a decent video card paired with a good processor? Every place I've seen only has crappy video cards paired with good other components. I'm considering buying a prebuilt XPS or so,something and just upgrading the video card myself. Any advice or a heads up on good deals would be awesome.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:

I opened up my case and put the pump from the H70 on the CPU_FAN header and the fans around the radiator on the CHA_FAN1 header. So now at least the fans will move in accordance with the needs of the CPU.

Still have the hyper 212 in the box. I REALLY don't want to take out everything and install this sumbitch :/

Did you check behind the motherboard backplate? Does the cutout line up with your current cooler by any chance? You might be able to do it without taking the motherboard out.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
Antec still hasn't adopted bottom mounted PSU fans though, have they?

I have no idea about their newer stuff. I don't think the TX series is bottom mounted either. Can't say I pay a lot of attention.

I agree about Antec as a whole. Given that the 300 is priced what it is now, I think those TPN PSUs are probably the only thing with their label that I'd actually recommend anymore.

clav

RoboPlato said:
I know I've been in here asking some questions but now I have a bit more clarity on what I'm going to do and I need some advice. My uncle is going to be helping me get a new computer as a college graduation gift sine my laptop died, I'm on an iPad right now, and I'd like to build a decent gaming rig. However, he's not too keen on letting me build it myself. Are there any places aside from Alienware that I could get a decent video card paired with a good processor? Every place I've seen only has crappy video cards paired with good other components. I'm considering buying a prebuilt XPS or so,something and just upgrading the video card myself. Any advice or a heads up on good deals would be awesome.
Build it yourself. I configured an Apple iMac and an Alienware today to a build that I'm building for my friend. They both cost at least 2x the price of my configuration.

Otherwise, use Dell Outlet as sometimes they have deals on desktop machines and you could simply just swap the power supply and graphics card for something better.

Smokey

TheExodu5 said:
Did you check behind the motherboard backplate? Does the cutout line up with your current cooler by any chance? You might be able to do it without taking the motherboard out.

No I haven't.

To be honest I don't really want to lol. At this point I just want to play my games. I've sort of come to the conclusion that my temps are ok...not the best and could probably be better (under load...my idle temps are fine). But I do have the 212 sitting here for when I change my mind.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Wallach said:
I have no idea about their newer stuff. I don't think the TX series is bottom mounted either. Can't say I pay a lot of attention.

I agree about Antec as a whole. Given that the 300 is priced what it is now, I think those TPN PSUs are probably the only thing with their label that I'd actually recommend anymore.

Some of their HTPC cases are still pretty good. I wouldn't buy one over a Silverstone, but I definitely think they warrant some consideration.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wallach said:

All of Corsair's and Cooler Master PSUs are bottom mounted, I believe. The TX series, at least, is.

Looks like the TP and part of the HCP series have bottom mounted fans.

Also, the TP series appears to be more expensive than the Corsair TX series.

Smokey said:
No I haven't.

To be honest I don't really want to lol. At this point I just want to play my games. I've sort of come to the conclusion that my temps are ok...not the best and could probably be better (under load...my idle temps are fine). But I do have the 212 sitting here for when I change my mind.

Meh...then leave it be and don't worry about it.

I'm running on a B2 motherboard because I didn't want to bother doing the exchange. If it stops working on my at some point, I'll worry about it then. Chances are it'll be fine, however.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
claviertekky said:
Build it yourself. I configured an Apple iMac and an Alienware today to a build that I'm building for my friend. They both cost at least 2x the price of my configuration.

Otherwise, use Dell Outlet as sometimes they have deals on desktop machines and you could simply just swap the power supply and graphics card for something better.
I'm trying to sell him on the idea of me building it but he's convinced I can't do it properly and that not having a warranty on the machine is bad plus my i5/6950 build is a little bit pricier than he would like once the monitor is factored in.

Fredescu

RoboPlato said:
Buy from one of the places that will build it for you for a fee. NCIX US is one I believe. I'm sure there are others. Doing it that way will get you much more value than a Dell.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Fredescu said:
Buy from one of the places that will build it for you for a fee. NCIX US is one I believe. I'm sure there are others. Doing it that way will get you much more value than a Dell.
This sounds like an awesome idea. Could you link me to where the options for that on their site would be? Having trouble navigting it since I'm stuck on an iPad.

Finally ordered the last few pieces for my build. I bought some pieces while on sale, so the cost is a lot less than what is shown. It will look like this:

I'll be adding in my gigabyte gtx 460 for sli goodness.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
for the new page: now magically playing witcher 2 just get me to 70 Oc not 77oC anymore!

but I still have th doubt why my pc cant boot when I OC the cpu at 3.6 or more... with 3.5 it fails with Prime so now is 3.4...

maybe it has to do with my mobo...cooling I dont know.. :(

clav

dgenx said:
for the new page: now magically playing witcher 2 just get me to 70 Oc not 77oC anymore!

but I still have th doubt why my pc cant boot when I OC the cpu at 3.6 or more... with 3.5 it fails with Prime so now is 3.4...

maybe it has to do with my mobo...cooling I dont know.. :(
What mobo do you have? Current voltages?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
claviertekky said:
What mobo do you have? Current voltages?

I have a shitty DH55TC :( it really isnt a mobo made for OC

with that mobo you can only change the clock, and the memories voltage which is 1.5 now

Guys, Antec's stagnant case design is exactly why I removed the 300 from recommendations, and will likely supplant the 902 once a certain case goes on sale soon.

The 300 has the build quality of a ~$60+ case, and the features of a ~$25-40 case. Strangely enough, it balanced out, but once they raised the price into the ~$60 bracket, it just falls short of options from other brands. Antec's refusal to make simple, needed changes (the V3 revisions aren't enough), that are fairly inexpensive, is puzzling.

Even the P183 (and other P1 variants) starts to look its age compared to something like a FD Define XL. Both have their share of positives and negatives, though the Define XL has a lot going for it. Was hoping I could get some hands on time with an XL before anything.

Looking for some suitable enclosures to come out of Computex.

Chiggs said:
Let's talk about overrated and underrated hardware companies. Ready?

Overrated

1.) EVGA - there was a time when this company had the gold standard of support. That time has passed. Going for an RMA now means spending a ridiculous amount of time on back and forth sessions with their stellar tech support and rolling your eyes as they blame your RAM and PSU and whatever they can before owning up to a faulty product. Lame!

2.) Asus - don't get me wrong, I still love these guys, but the firmware issues with their mobos have gotten progressively worse over time. They're not bad; they're just becoming more and more mediocre over time.

3.) Corsair - the way some of the fanboys swear by these products, you'd think they were crafted by some divine entity. Pfftt, whatever. Their RAM is the very definition of overrated and their PSU's, while good, are remarkably overpriced.

4.) Artic Silver - I want to puke when I hear people raving about Artic Silver. "OMG - IT LOWERED MY TEMPS BY 20! My pc wouldn't even boot up before I lathered it up with this godly goo!" Shut up!

5.) Lian Li - your luxury cases are so damn overpriced, and Silvestone is really starting to best you in so many different ways. Get your act together. You're not the Lian Li of 2003 anymore; meaning, you're just another case maker. Fractal, Coolermaster, Silverstone, Antec and Thermaltake are kicking your ass.

Underrated

1.) Gigabyte: - Outstanding products - tech support is excellent. I can't say enough about these guys.
1.) EVGA - Isn't the lifetime warranty an even bigger selling point than their CS/TS? Seems like they're switching more and more products over to limited warranties, though, possibly in an effort to avoid becoming the next BFG.

2.) Asus - What can you say? Asus is a victim of their own success in some regards. Quality has declined. That's partly due to Asus restructuring a few times, going with an OEM (for some of its models) that isn't exactly known for quality, and the fact that they are directly competing with old Asus employees who are now making non-Asus branded products.

3.) Corsair - Hard to argue with their overall support/service. I do find it strange how they have a near Apple/Nintendo-like following with some. You know, the type to blindly buy any and all Corsair products despite the fact that you can often get equal or better price/performance elsewhere.

4.) Artic Silver - Name recognition is king. People take comfort in set brands and most don't stray once they're locked in. But we all knew that already.

5.) Lian Li - TheExodu5 has to be one of the few who regularly mentions their material quality with certain products, and that's a bit surprising. A lot of users still think of Lian Li as the best in aluminum when you have companies from Japan, Korea, various Euro, and other nations, that have equal or better options. Thing is, LL has resources that most can't compete with.

dgenx said:
dgenx said:
Aww fuck , I wanted to oc my i5 760 to 3.8 and I got bsod I got it to 3.4 and its stable, why other people can oc it to 4? Is it my mobo or my chip is crap :s
I have a shitty DH55TC :( it really isnt a mobo made for OC

with that mobo you can only change the clock, and the memories voltage which is 1.5 now
Your board isn't built for doing anything near a 4GHz 24/7 OC with that CPU.

Your stability issues are almost certain down to its limited power and cooling. Even with a crap chip, a better board will bear better results.

TheExodu5

Banned
·feist· said:
5.) Lian Li - TheExodu5 has to be one of the few who regularly mentions their material quality with certain products, and that's a bit surprising. A lot of users still think of Lian Li as the best in aluminum when you have companies from Japan, Korea, various Euro, and other nations, that have equal or better options. Thing is, LL has resources that most can't compete with.

To be fair, I have not seen their $300+ cases first hand. However a lot of their ~$150 mid towers just feel really cheap and flimsy when compared to the Silverstone cases. The aluminum just seems to be a lot thinner than I would have hoped. A few of them even creaked as you pushed against the sides.

I haven't owned one, so I can't really say more than that. I'm just speaking of what I've seen when comparing display models at CanadaComputers.

I would really like to see and build a PC with an X900. I'm very intrigued by that particular case. The V1020 as well...though they don't offer a fully black version. :(

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
To be fair, I have not seen their $300+ cases first hand. However a lot of their ~$150 mid towers just feel really cheap and flimsy when compared to the Silverstone cases. The aluminum just seems to be a lot thinner than I would have hoped. A few of them even creaked as you pushed against the sides.

I haven't owned one, so I can't really say more than that. I'm just speaking of what I've seen when comparing display models at CanadaComputers.

A few years ago when we built my brother's rig he chose a Lian Li (I have no idea what model, but looking at Newegg it reminds me of the PC-9F visually) and I felt the same way. It was way lighter than I expected and made from some very thin parts. I did not like it nearly as much as I thought I would.

dgenx

·feist· said:
Your board isn't built for doing anything near a 4GHz 24/7 OC with that CPU.

Your stability issues are almost certain down to its limited power and cooling. Even with a crap chip, a better board will bear better results.

ohh ok, then I will settle with 3.4 ... for now

TheExodu5

Banned
claviertekky said:
Do you guys prefer Gigabyte boards over ASUS now?

My friend still has yet to buy his build.

I do, though many don't. The main reason I prefer Gigabyte over the Asus is that it doesn't have to start up twice when overclocking. The Asus boards can't go into sleep mode when overclocking either, while the Gigabyte boards can. The Asus boards have the benefit of UEFI (not really important, IMO, since most of us wouldn't run a >4TB OS HDD), a GUI BIOS, and extra SATA ports. The new Z68 Gigabyte boards look awesome as well. Completely black. :)

Daigoro

my PC has been crashing over the last week in odd ways. i was hoping someone here had some ideas. (if this is not the right thread for it ill repost elsewhere)

last week while my wife was playing LORTO the screen went black, then the monitor displays a "no signal" message and goes blank. the system stayed on, lights and fans still working, but no picture our sound. CRTL ALT DEL does nothing. i think the system restarted itself eventually.

since then its been happening more frequently. at first it was just while playing games, now it happens with no real strain (checking email etc). i updated video drivers and it seemed stable for a day or two, then started again. i swapped my video card for an old one and it crashed after 15 minutes. so im guessing its not a GPU or a GPU driver issue.

most of the time it crashes and just stays like that until i hard power it down. it occasionaly restarts itself. a few times it does a startup repair routine. the last day or so it crashes as its booting. sometimes i can log in and it will run for a bit and then crashes again (it seems to work a little better if it remains shut off for a while. could just be coincidence).

so it doesnt seem like a GPU or graphics driver issue. im guessing its not a power issue, because the power stays on during and after the crash. everything in the case seems cool enough and its not too dusty, so it doesnt appear to be an overheating issue.

im just not sure what to look for at this point. id appreciate suggestions on where to start.

thanks.

clav

TheExodu5 said:
I do, though many don't. The main reason I prefer Gigabyte over the Asus is that it doesn't have to start up twice when overclocking. The Asus boards can't go into sleep mode when overclocking either, while the Gigabyte boards can. The Asus boards have the benefit of UEFI (not really important, IMO, since most of us wouldn't run a >4TB OS HDD), a GUI BIOS, and extra SATA ports. The new Z68 Gigabyte boards look awesome as well. Completely black. :)
What Gigabyte board should I purchase for the P67 chipset then?

I saw this one, but it looks bad. Is that user error?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...k=GA-P67A-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Motherboard

dgenx said:
ohh ok, then I will settle with 3.4 ... for now
Should keep an eye on your vcore, among other things.

TheExodu5 said:

I would really like to see and build a PC with an X900. I'm very intrigued by that particular case. The V1020 as well...though they don't offer a fully black version. :(
Yeah, I'd like to try out a black/black V1020. All they had to do was combine the interior from the red, with the black's exterior.

I meant I was surprised that you were one of the few to notice/mention the cost cutting on some models. Apparently, LL has better aluminum access (to go along with know how) than a lot of companies, so that helps. Still, it's obvious that everyone is trying to compensate for the rising material cost. Like switching to countries such as China for manufacturing, instead of building in their home countries. SilverStone has solid alu grade, and better treatments than some, but even they're using more steel and/or upping MSRPs.

clav

TheExodu5

Banned
claviertekky said:
What about that compared to the ASUS P8P67 Standard (no SLI, but has the VRM + stability overclocking compatibility)?

You would choose the Gigabyte?

It seems like to me from reviews the quality control is the same...

They'll both be fine for overclocking. Unless you're pushing past 5GHz, even the cheapest boards will do just fine.

Like I said, the two main reasons I prefer the Gigabyte are that it doesn't power up twice when booting an OC'ed CPU, and it can go to sleep mode (though only if you enable a certain feature through its Windows software).

Smokey

fuck

I only have 57GB remaining on my 160GB SSD. I know I asked before, but I didn't get to bookmark the page but...what was that program that let you move your games over to your HDD while Steam itself stayed on the SSD?

clav

TheExodu5 said:
They'll both be fine for overclocking. Unless you're pushing past 5GHz, even the cheapest boards will do just fine.
Do you agree the quality control is pretty much the same though?

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
fuck

I only have 57GB remaining on my 160GB SSD. I know I asked before, but I didn't get to bookmark the page but...what was that program that let you move your games over to your HDD while Steam itself stayed on the SSD?

Either SteamTool Library Manager or manually creating symbolic links yourself.

claviertekky said:
Do you agree the quality control is pretty much the same though?

As far as I can tell. I haven't really seen any major issues from either manufacturer lately. Maybe someone else is aware of issues that I haven't heard of yet.

dgenx

·feist· said:
Should keep an eye on your vcore, among other things.

wat? but is such a mild OC, idle my cpu gets 39oC , when playing it gets 70oC , I ran prime for 3 hours and no problem, what things should I be worried about? I cant believe the Mobo is so bad!

Fredescu

I often recommend ASUS over Gigabyte because ASUS come with the little front panel connector blocks that can make a build a lot easier for a first time builder. Do the newer Gigabyte boards have those yet?

TheExodu5

Banned
Fredescu said:
I often recommend ASUS over Gigabyte because ASUS come with the little front panel blocks that can make a build a lot easier for a first time builder. Do the newer Gigabyte boards have those yet?

To be honest, I didn't notice...didn't use one. That is kind of handy.

I'll check my box tomorrow, out of curiosity.

My old Asus came with one as well, though I hadn't noticed there either and didn't use it.

dgenx said:
wat? but is such a mild OC, idle my cpu gets 39oC , when playing it gets 70oC , I ran prime for 3 hours and no problem, what things should I be worried about? I cant believe the Mobo is so bad!

Well, older CPUs (prior to Sandy Bridge) generally overclock by raising the BCLK...and that can be somewhat motherboard dependent. You may have gotten a bad motherboard...luck of the draw. My old Asus P5B-E sucked at overclocking. I couldn't get it past 400MHz, even though plenty of people got theirs to ~450MHz.

Smokey

I dunno...I have no complaints about any of my ASUS products (mobo, graphics card, and monitor). Granted this is my first build, and maybe I don't know any better but they get a thumbs up from me.

clav

Fredescu said:
I often recommend ASUS over Gigabyte because ASUS come with the little front panel connector blocks that can make a build a lot easier for a first time builder. Do the newer Gigabyte boards have those yet?
You're talking about the quick connector right?

I have one for my ASUS board three years ago.

clav

TheExodu5 said:
Either Asus or Gigabyte is fine, though. Just go with whichever suits you best.

If you like the look of one better, or if you do/don't mind the double restart thing, or if you do/don't mind the no sleep, or if you do/don't mind the lack of a GUI BIOS. Trade-offs.

I'd like to see MSI's boards in action...they're very well priced.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130571&cm_re=msi_p67-_-13-130-571-_-Product
Hm. All right. I'll consider alternatives and weigh in if the ASUS is worth it.

Isn't UEFI supposed to help with booting times as opposed to the archaic BIOS?

mkenyon

Banned
Smokey said:

IIRC, you don't want the mobo to control the pump. The pump should NEVER be undervolted, and can cause reliability and cooling issues.

@Lian Li discussion
While Silverstone products have gotten to the point where they're almost as good, they still don't compete in aesthetics (IMO), and all those little touches like perfectly rounded corners and the like. Its like the BMW of the computer case world. Probably more expensive than it should be, but totally worth it if money is no object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom