• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only beneficial for extreme performance. It can be a hassle getting it to work now and then. There's ancillary issues as well such as microstuttering, additional input lag, and a host of other issues.

It's something you only do when the performance from a single card is not sufficient. Considering the Titan is $1000, that should be sufficient for 99% of setups.

I agree with MK on SLI Titans being the realm of extreme performance, but if there are people who are heading that direction and would like some info of whether to go SLI or not, here is what I've discovered from testing the Nvidia Titans in single and SLI configs for the past week:

Microstutter is a non-issue if you turn VSync on (for most games), and most graphical showcase games are much nicer to look at with VSync enabled (tearing makes the world a lot less solid and thus less immersive); e.g. Crysis 3, Tomb Raider (2013). These games will not run as smooth maxed out with a single GPU at 1440p and above. And the kicker I found out about stutter is that even a single GPU when taxed will also stutter and microstutter, granted smoother than SLI, but it stutters all the same; which may be exacerbated in SLI since now its 2 GPUs that stutters/microstutters at those particular points.

Most people will not notice the 1 frame of input lag that SLI adds nor mind the additional input lag caused by Vsync, especially for couch gamers using a controller. I did a blind desktop test by getting someone to disable SLI and enable SLI and getting me to guess which is which, I failed 3 out of 3 times... I found input lag due a hdmi to DAC (amp) connection to be more significant than the input lag SLI adds (depending on your DAC of course), so if you are using a HDTV, be sure to bypass your DAC and go straight to your HDTV (also set your HDTV to PC or game mode if available), connect your DAC to the other hdmi port on your GPU and get your sound out separately by using multi display mode.

Testing SLI on a CRT, input lag might as well be zero, there is absolutely none I can feel, well below human perception.

Moral of the story is that input lag in the system adds up, you may be able to reduce it so that 1 extra frame from SLI does not matter; whether by reducing the input lag elsewhere or running the game at higher frame rates. Stutter (without VSync), yeah it's a bitch, but the higher frame rates and lower frame times (on more demanding settings and higher resolutions) almost makes up for it.

In an ideal world, you get the power of 2 Titans on a single chip, that way you don't have to deal with the issues that multi GPUs bring to the equation.

jsrv

Don't need to do nothin' (except for the overclock)

Thanks
Does the socket (LGA 1155 I think.. it is a Z77 motherboard with an ivy bridge CPU) hold on to the CPU so you have to nudge it out, or does it just sit on the socket and you can just lift it off after the metal arm lock and bracket is off?

Pandemic

Alright, think my build is complete...
GSDxRK9.jpg

In regards to the GPU, I changed from the MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr III 2GB OC to the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB, will the change give me a better chance at playing upcoming games on good settings? Cause I'm not sure if I'll even use three monitors for gaming since one satisfies my needs.

Also, has anyone used a powerline adapter for wireless internet? I know cabled internet is better but I can't get that at the moment, still trying to find a cablesman.

Cheers.

lmpaler

GSDxRK9.jpg

In regards to the GPU, I changed from the MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr III 2GB OC to the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB, will the change give me a better chance at playing upcoming games on good settings? Cause I'm not sure if I'll even use three monitors for gaming since one satisfies my needs.

Also, has anyone used a powerline adapter for wireless internet? I know cabled internet is better but I can't get that at the moment, still trying to find a cablesman.

Cheers.

Let me know how you like that SSD. I picked up the 128GB version on sale from Newegg a few days ago, although I am building my computer a part at a time so I won't be able to see it in action for a couple months.

Pandemic

You're going to be playing at 1920x1080, right?

If so, a 4GB 680 should last you 2-3 years at the least.

The monitor I currently have, which will be used on the above build is this,
http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/ppspecs.php?id=308

Not sure if it supports 1920x1080, but once I can afford a new monitor I guess I will play at that resolution?

If I were to go with the other graphics card, would that last me for less time?

Arsenic

Just a question:

I'm helping a friend build a computer mainly for use with 3D max (in addition to software like autoCAD, photoshop, etc) . His goal is to cut down the rendering times significantly. I'm aware going all out on the CPU is wise, but what about the GPU? I don't want to spend $600 on a new card for minimal increase in performance (for 3D Max). He already has a GeForce 2GB 560, should I bother?

Also what are the best motherboards (bang for buck) for use with the 3770? I've seen a lot of bad reviews with the majority of them.

One more, is going for 32gigs of RAM wise for use with autoCAD?

Thanks gentlemen.

lmpaler

Not sure if it supports 1920x1080, but once I can afford a new monitor I guess I will play at that resolution?

"The 16:10 aspect ratio and high 1680X1050 resolution"

At that resolution your setup would be overkill lol.

Katyusha

You'd be fine with the 2GB for 1680x1050 since no games now are even pushing past 2GB of VRAM usage at 1080p, but next-gen is right around the corner and we'll be seeing higher VRAM usage thanks to the PS4.

So you're definitely better off going with the 4GB one.

Danj

It's a lot more powerful than the mobile 7970. Significantly so.

Ah. That was the critical piece of information I was missing. Do you know of any site where I might find some benchmark numbers to look at to compare them? I know notebookcheck has numbers for mobile parts, what's a good site for desktop benchmarks?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
GSDxRK9.jpg

Cheers.
The point of Powerline is to avoid wireless in the first place. You should have a modem in your house unless you are on someone else's wifi.
Let me know how you like that SSD. I picked up the 128GB version on sale from Newegg a few days ago, although I am building my computer a part at a time so I won't be able to see it in action for a couple months.
Best consumer SSD on the market, don't sweat it. In the OP after all.

It'll last you until next gen of cards at least imo. You can run stupid texture packs I guess with no problem!

PULL THE TRIGGER.
Just a question:

I'm helping a friend build a computer mainly for use with 3D max (in addition to software like autoCAD, photoshop, etc) . His goal is to cut down the rendering times significantly. I'm aware going all out on the CPU is wise, but what about the GPU? I don't want to spend $600 on a new card for minimal increase in performance (for 3D Max). He already has a GeForce 2GB 560, should I bother?

Also what are the best motherboards (bang for buck) for use with the 3770? I've seen a lot of bad reviews with the majority of them.

One more, is going for 32gigs of RAM wise for use with autoCAD?

Thanks gentlemen.
3770K and overclock right :D
Mobo reviews are almost always worse than they are. You can get the ASROCK Pro4 or Extreme4 or the ASUS LK. MSI MPOWER is very solid.

I think nVidia is stiller better at some acceleration than AMD GPUs, but someone can correct me since I don't follow this. Find someone who knows and ask them which supports the programs and tasks they are using better and what cards are worth it.

32GB... No idea. It's cheap though!

Arsenic

Best consumer SSD on the market, don't sweat it. In the OP after all.

I have the non-pro version (250GB) Is that still good? :(

3770K and overclock right :D
Mobo reviews are almost always worse than they are. You can get the ASROCK Pro4 or Extreme4 or the ASUS LK. MSI MPOWER is very solid.

I think nVidia is stiller better at some acceleration than AMD GPUs, but someone can correct me since I don't follow this. Find someone who knows and ask them which supports the programs and tasks they are using better and what cards are worth it.

32GB... No idea. It's cheap though!

Thanks for the MB info! I can now research away.

wiggleb0t

Banned

From what I've seen it seems 2GBvram for 1080p is high enough for all current games. If you use above that res or multiple monitors it's warrants and requires the extra vram. Dolphin on some cranked settings with high aa can chew more than 1700vrm.

Nothing I've encountered has eaten all the vram at 1080p high eye candy on latest games..Comes close at around 1500-1800mb used during intense demanding games. ProjectCars ate it all on ultra eye candy but thats in alpha/beta(?) and has already been fixed.

No harm & piece of mind going 4gb :)
Edit: That link says your current monitor is 1680x1050.

mkenyon

Banned
Ah. That was the critical piece of information I was missing. Do you know of any site where I might find some benchmark numbers to look at to compare them? I know notebookcheck has numbers for mobile parts, what's a good site for desktop benchmarks?

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/3611835

That's about 2K lower than the Alienware X51 w/ i7 & 660 would get.

*edit*

Also, that is in-line with the 'Enhanced' build in the OP.

Pandemic

"The 16:10 aspect ratio and high 1680X1050 resolution"

At that resolution your setup would be overkill lol.

Alright, good to hear, thanks for the response! :)

You'd be fine with the 2GB for 1680x1050 since no games now are even pushing past 2GB of VRAM usage at 1080p, but next-gen is right around the corner and we'll be seeing higher VRAM usage thanks to the PS4.

So you're definitely better off going with the 4GB one.

Yeah, true, guess it's best to be safe than sorry, especially for only $50.

The point of Powerline is to avoid wireless in the first place. You should have a modem in your house unless you are on someone else's wifi.

It'll last you until next gen of cards at least imo. You can run stupid texture packs I guess with no problem!

Isn't a powerline connection wireless though? Or does it actually send the signal through the electricity...? o.o

I do have a modem/router, it's both in one I'm pretty sure..

Thanks for the response!

From what I've seen it seems 2GBvram for 1080p is high enough for all current games. If you use above that res or multiple monitors it's warrants and requires the extra vram. Dolphin on some cranked settings with high aa can chew more than 1700vrm.

Nothing I've encountered has eaten all the vram at 1080p high eye candy on latest games..Comes close at around 1500-1800mb used during intense demanding games. ProjectCars ate it all on ultra eye candy but thats in alpha/beta(?) and has already been fixed.

No harm & piece of mind going 4gb :)
Edit: That link says your current monitor is 1680x1050.

Yeah, again, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the response mate!

mkenyon

Banned
Isn't a powerline connection wireless though? Or does it actually send the signal through the electricity...? o.o
Cat 5E cables (networking cables) are tightly wound copper.

Power lines in your house that carry electricity are tightly wound copper.

Powerline adapters are essentially dongles that turn the power lines in your walls into network cables. Hence, Powerline Adapter.

mindblown.gif?

Pandemic

Powerline adapters are essentially dongles that turn the power lines in your walls into network cables. Hence, Powerline Adapter.

mindblown.gif?

Wow, interesting... Guess I'll get one of them then. Should be good for the PS3 too.

Arsenic

mindblown.gif?

I just learned something new today :eek:

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I have the non-pro version (250GB) Is that still good? :(

Thanks for the MB info! I can now research away.
Not a bad drive for the price. It's using newer tech and I rechecked the price today. $170 for 250GB is pretty good. TLC is still in it's infancy, but so far it seems to be reliable and the wearing should be a non-issue in a properly setup consumer drive.

Poker360

I was thinking about getting a soundcard and saw in the OP the $40 Xonar DGX.
I would be using the optical output on the card. I've read in some reviews that you shouldn't buy this card if you do so, as it only supports stereo audio or something?

Anyone know anything about this?

Arsenic

Not a bad drive for the price. It's using newer tech and I rechecked the price today. $170 for 250GB is pretty good. TLC is still in it's infancy, but so far it seems to be reliable and the wearing should be a non-issue in a properly setup consumer drive.

I bought it on sale a couple of weeks back for $150 (it was a sale recently for $135). It mainly an OS drive, replacing my older C300 64GB, which was severely low on space. I figured I'd expressed that. Oh, and the voices of 2010 PC Build thread, where I was strongly advised to splurge on the 128GB C300, have been haunting me for weeks now :(

LegendX48

so yeah, I've more or less decided that I'll be making the jump to intel relatively soonish (like end of March/beginning of April) and looked through a few things and have more less decided on going with these once I have the money.

i7 3770k
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram 8gb
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo

I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible for the most part so no SSDs or w/e. Anything I should change? I should note I'm trying to stick with a mobo that doesn't have oddly placed pci-e slots (planning to get an asus xonar essence sound card later on) and still gives me the option to crossfire if I ever feel like it as well as having the USB 3.0 header.

Ok so as well as getting a SSD...I've now decided to also buy two monitors! I installed an extra monitor at work yesterday and the dual set up is awesome. I was going to buy one monitor for my PC anyway as I'm moving house soon and the PC will be going upstairs (its currently linked up to my 40" Samsung).

So I have:

Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card

Which according to that (I'm not near my PC now :p) has two DVI-I out and one HDMI (I'm currently hooked up through HDMI). So my question, is there a monitor with DVI-I and HDMI?

My budget is around £120 per monitor so £240 and I want 22"-24" and 1080p. Am I asking too much?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005QVZ79C/

Is what I'm currently looking at?

Anyone ever heard of Buzz Pc Shop? - http://buzzpcshop.co.uk/index.php?id_product=1550&controller=product

Would order two at that price now!! (but dont trust it :p)

Pandemic

I was going to order from PC Case Gear, but I'm just gonna get a local PC store to order the parts and build it for me. It'll cut the shipping costs of $80, and hopefully save me the $135 that PCCG are asking for to build the PC.

They custom built the PC I'm on now, so I believe in them that they can do the job.. Hopefully :p

Staab

Hey guys, build question coming up !
I'm looking to upgrade some parts of my PC because it's starting to chug in certain games (like GW2, Project CARS and PlanetSide2) and I would like to keep my settings on "high".
Wherein lies my biggest bottleneck: GPU, CPU or HDD ?

Current specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.4Ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX Blu Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 3.0)
GPU: ASUS Radeon HD5770 CUCore 1GB PSU
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750W
Storage: WD Black 1TB

Upgrade Budget: 500$ max / Yurop (Switzerland)

Main Use: Gaming + General Usage
Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050 (don't plan to upgrade soon)

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60 FPS on current gen games, 30 for next gen

Looking to reuse any parts?: As many as possible
When will you build?: Coming summer
Will you be overclocking?: Slightly, want to keep the heat/noise low

Thanks for the answers !

I'm looking to upgrade some parts of my PC because it's starting to chug in certain games (like GW2, Project CARS and PlanetSide2) and I would like to keep my settings on "high".

Current specs:

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60 FPS on current gen games, 30 for next gen

Thanks for the answers !

If you plan on buying an SSD, digitec has a great offer today, Plextor M5S 256GB for CHF 149.- Thats less than the Samsung 840 basic.

kiri

Posted in here earlier asking about computer advice but was never replied to (according to my User CP)...I'll repost now!

Looking to get into PC gaming over the next couple of months.
Living in Japan and thinking I will buy parts rather than go with very expensive pre-built systems. (Also don't want Windows 8 and thats all they offer)

Your Current Specs: Have a laptop, so I'll be starting afresh.
Budget: Japan, so maybe 100,000-200,000yen (up to $2000)
Main Use:
Gaming 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4
HD Streaming 3
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 4
(If I didn't include it, I'm not interested in it)

Monitor Resolution: I will buy a new monitor, something in the price range, sharp and well designed.

Games: Interested in new games; Crysis 3 etc. Far Cry 3 and future-proofing for a year or so at least.

When will you build?: I can wait maybe up to 3 months from now.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, as long as its fairly simple to do.

Help me out guys! Much appreciated!

kharma45

Ok so as well as getting a SSD...I've now decided to also buy two monitors! I installed an extra monitor at work yesterday and the dual set up is awesome. I was going to buy one monitor for my PC anyway as I'm moving house soon and the PC will be going upstairs (its currently linked up to my 40" Samsung).

So I have:

Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card

Which according to that (I'm not near my PC now :p) has two DVI-I out and one HDMI (I'm currently hooked up through HDMI). So my question, is there a monitor with DVI-I and HDMI?

My budget is around £120 per monitor so £240 and I want 22"-24" and 1080p. Am I asking too much?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005QVZ79C/

Is what I'm currently looking at?

Anyone ever heard of Buzz Pc Shop? - http://buzzpcshop.co.uk/index.php?id_product=1550&controller=product

Would order two at that price now!! (but dont trust it :p)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008F7GW2K/

Current specs:

Thanks for the answers !

It's the GPU Staab, you'll want to get it upgraded. Something like a 7950 would be a good switch, and I'd look to overclock your CPU as well to give it a boost.

kharma45

Ah! I was looking at IPS monitors but wasn't quite sure on them. Are they a better option than a LED or LCD then? The LED Samsung we have in the office is really nice and crisp. But the blue power light is really annoying.

LED and LCD are just backlighting technologies, it's the panel types you should be looking at like, eg. TN, PVA, IPS.

That one I've linked is an IPS panel with an LED backlight and is hard to beat at that price.

theytookourjobz

Tax return time. Need a new laptop. Can't decide if I want to get a MacBook or get one of those cheap chromebooks and a baller new video card for my PC. Hmmmm.

LED and LCD are just backlighting technologies, it's the panel types you should be looking at like, eg. TN, PVA, IPS.

That one I've linked is an IPS panel with an LED backlight and is hard to beat at that price.

Ah gotcha! Well I'll get two of them then! Running two of the same size monitors is the way to go? Or is it better with a larger main screen and smaller secondary?

kharma45

Ah gotcha! Well I'll get two of them then! Running two of the same size monitors is the way to go? Or is it better with a larger main screen and smaller secondary?

All up to yourself, I'd prefer two of the same size as having ones that don't match would irk me.

All up to yourself, I'd prefer two of the same size as having ones that don't match would irk me.

Yeah I think that would be wise...I can see myself not liking a smaller screen and end up ordering another ;p /ocd.

Cheers for your help! Now to sweet talk the missus into letting me order them :x

GMM

Banned

Preference really, personally. I prefer a big screen with a large resolution as my main working screen and smaller 1080p screens for secondary work. I would love to have all my monitors be of the same high quality, but dropping 700$ times three is just not viable for me right now.

Right now i am using two Samsung Syncmaster P2370 screens that runs at 1920x1080 and they are very good screen for their value, but i will be adding a ASUS PB278Q S-IPS 27" monitor as my main working screen due to the much better resolution and color representation found on those type of screens.

For the price, that LG screen is a pretty good buy that will keep you happy in most day to day situations.

Dinosur

I couldn't think of anything to ask for last xmas so got one of those stupid Playstation monitors since they were on sale. Yeah, it's already shitting the bed (and was completely horrible as a computer monitor anyway).

Are those ASUS VG's still the way to go? I'm looking around the $300-400 range but could be convinced to go higher. I'm anal about max settings (but not framerate as much) so I'm a bit apprehensive about the future-proof abilities of anything over 1920x1080/1200 rez even with a 670.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was thinking about getting a soundcard and saw in the OP the $40 Xonar DGX.
I would be using the optical output on the card. I've read in some reviews that you shouldn't buy this card if you do so, as it only supports stereo audio or something?

Anyone know anything about this?

no DD5.1 over optical for games - only if its pre-mixed, like playing a DVD/bluray. I do find it odd, because it has dolby headphone support so its mixing multichannel audio and processing it into stereo, you'd think DD5.1 would be simpler.

You need a motherboard with Dolby Digital Live to encode 5.1, or a soundcard with the same. I think the Xonar DS does that.

DJ_Lae

Pretty solid.

oh and your Motherboard would come with Sata cables.

What's your video card?

Only one, I think.

I put three drives in my new computer and I remember having to pull one from my old computer and dig another out of my box of unorganized cabling when I installed my Extreme 4.

GPU will really be holding you back with those parts. Start saving up : )

(I went from a 6850 to a 670 on a Q6600 and it was a HUGE difference)

I'm used to playing on low, I just want to play on low and not get bottlenecked because of a crappy dual core

There's no way for me to get more than 20-25fps on open world games thanks to it

GPU will come later

kennah

I'm used to playing on low, I just want to play on low and not get bottlenecked because of a crappy dual core

There's no way for me to get more than 20-25fps on open world games thanks to it

GPU will come later

Which C2Duo do you have? You might be being bottlenecked by your GPU more than your CPU

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if you were putting together a small form factor PC, something to sit under the TV and be fairly inconspicuous - what case would you go for?

Bitfenix prodigy gets a lot of mentions but it doesn't look super discreet, or *that* small. How about the Silverstone SG08? My main issue with that is purely cosmetic - I wish it had an aluminium drive cover and the USB/headphone sockets were behind a flap, like on the LC17 so it was completely discreet.

I'd probably be looking at something like an i5/GTX670/8GB/SSD+HDD, possibly no optical drive, and it'd need to be quiet when not under stress.

edit: or the fractal design node 304?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom