• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Looking for some advice before my stuff comes on Tuesday.

I am being told to avoid using Windows 8 on the new PC, what is the best/cheapest way to get a digital copy of Windows 7? I will NOT have an optical drive, I am going to be booting from USB. However if need be, I can also use my laptop to move anything from a disc to USB to boot on the new PC. (or can I even just transfer my laptop HD with my OS over to the desktop?)

Apologies if these are amateur questions.

lmpaler

Argh I am so close to buying that GTX 670, but that Free Bioshock and Tomb Raider makes the 7870 just awesome.

Thoughts GAF?

What generally are speeds for USB 3.0/SSD/etc?

Right now I'm getting read write speeds of 57-60 mbps from my USB 3, 135 write/144 read from my HDD and 128 write/480 read on my SSD

I am thinking of dropping by microcenter tomorrow and picking up these parts -- what do you guys think?

Core i5 3570K $190
Coolermaster Hyper 212 $30
ASRock Pro4 LGA $55
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 $52
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Case $70

I just bought a HD 7950.
My current rig has a Antec 500W Earthwatts 80plus. Should I just use this?

brentech

I really hate naming schemes on processors and GPUs. Hard to tell which way one's looking.
Feel like I need to get a new system built, but I've been out of this for quite some time. Tough to know what exactly I'm looking at

sixghost

I really hate naming schemes on processors and GPUs. Hard to tell which way one's looking.
Feel like I need to get a new system built, but I've been out of this for quite some time. Tough to know what exactly I'm looking at

Figure out what you are comfortable spending, then look in the OP. Use the GPU benchmarks on Anandtech to get a general sense of how well each card runs different games.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What generally are speeds for USB 3.0/SSD/etc?

Right now I'm getting read write speeds of 57-60 mbps from my USB 3, 135 write/144 read from my HDD and 128 write/480 read on my SSD

That's highly subjective both to the device and the motherboard.

Be sure to use proper units. I'm assuming you're using MB/s and not Mb/s.

The normal HDD seems a bit fast. The SSD a bit slow with write. The USB 3.0 device could be anything. Those vary from 30 MB/s to 200 MB/s right now but the bus supports over 500 MB/s.

fleck0

I've got a noisy fan problem.

Today I got my Asrock Z77 Pro 4 with a 3570k and a Coolermaster 212. The fan on the 212 is running at full rpm constantly and I can't seem to get it to respond to the Bios settings. I have the stock fan in the 4-pin and a second 3-pin fan on the other side of the cooler, I'd like to have the stock fan default to 900-1000 if I can - but no matter what I set it to when changing the target temp or manually setting the levels it stays blasting at ~1800 rpm.

Hoping someone may have some insight since the asrock boards are so popular here

Got my Sensei Raw and I'm liking it a lot. Came from a Logitech G700 which has been giving me trouble for quite a while, left clicks registering as double clicks or not at all, it somehow running out of batteries even when plugged in, etc. I'll keep the G700 around for when I need a wireless mouse though.

The Sensei is much lighter and smoother on my desk, scroll wheel feels nice and I think the glowing logo looks cool :p Haven't used an ambidextrous mouse since my Mac days though, so the extra buttons on the right side are taking a little bit of getting used to.

kennah

Photo%202013-03-08%2021%2025%2017.jpg

What do you guys do on a Friday night...

(Upgraded my Baba's computer from passive to active cooling, and put in an SSD)

Hawk269

Some pics of my build upgrade.

Leak Testing SLI Geforce Titan's:
002.jpg

Another angle...still a lot of very small air bubbles to work out.
004.jpg

Leak Testing done, power being fed to Titans
009.jpg

Cables completed, almost ready to run
022.jpg

Right side of the Case Labs Case. Cables look like crap, but not too bad since it is not the Motherboard Side. This also has the new Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512gb x2 and Pump/Res.
027.jpg

Everything done, front shot of case. 2xTouch Screen Fan Controllers, Plus 4 port Fan Controller.
030.jpg

With the Window Door open and a nice angle shot of very clean Motherboard side of the case.
038.jpg

Powered up..my nice blue lighting shinning through...:)
042.jpg

Lighted right side of case with 2 of 3 360 Rads, Pump/Res, SSD's, PSU and Cables galore.
046.jpg

Mobo Side with lights turned on, Fans Running and Rig finally up and going.
055.jpg

Through the looking glass...
053.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I need to get an ATI FX cpu, does anyone have a reccomendation for a solid mobo under $100? I'm not an overclocker, btw.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Damn Hawk, you're a baller! Looks really nice. That said, you plan to organize the cables any more; or do you not care since they're only messy on the side nobody really cares about? Man, liquid cooled Titans as soon as they're out. That's awesome. Also, do you really notice much of a performance increase (real world) when RAID0'ing the SSDs?

In other news, I hit up Microcenter on the way home from work today. It was a killer day - had a lot of last minute conference calls thrown on me and I ended up working about 13 hours. Decided I'd go splurge on an open-box GTX680 assuming the condition was good. It was a 2GB Gigabyte OC'd Windforce for a little less than $400. Unfortunately, though, the guy couldn't even find it. Determined to treat myself, I shopped around a bit. And lo-and-behold, they had some Ducky mechanical keyboards for sale. Have been debating getting a Filco for a long while, as I like the simple aesthetics and the 10key. Decided to grab the Ducky with Cherry Reds right then and there for some instant gratification, and am typing on it now. Love it. Great build quality from what I can tell. I'll snag some glamor shots tomorrow.

Hawk269

Damn Hawk, you're a baller! Looks really nice. That said, you plan to organize the cables any more; or do you not care since they're only messy on the side nobody really cares about? Man, liquid cooled Titans as soon as they're out. That's awesome. Also, do you really notice much of a performance increase (real world) when RAID0'ing the SSDs?

In other news, I hit up Microcenter on the way home from work today. It was a killer day - had a lot of last minute conference calls thrown on me and I ended up working about 13 hours. Decided I'd go splurge on an open-box GTX680 assuming the condition was good. It was a 2GB Gigabyte OC'd Windforce for a little less than $400. Unfortunately, though, the guy couldn't even find it. Determined to treat myself, I shopped around a bit. And lo-and-behold, they had some Ducky mechanical keyboards for sale. Have been debating getting a Filco for a long while, as I like the simple aesthetics and the 10key. Decided to grab the Ducky with Cherry Reds right then and there for some instant gratification, and am typing on it now. Love it. Great build quality from what I can tell. I'll snag some glamor shots tomorrow.

Yeah, I do plan on cleaning up the cables a bit more. Most will not clean up as well since there is a large amount going the same location, but more use of zip ties etc. will clean it up a bit.

The SSD's are not in Raid, I am using them as individual drives and boy are they fast compared to my 830 which is pretty damn fast as it is.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yeah, I do plan on cleaning up the cables a bit more. Most will not clean up as well since there is a large amount going the same location, but more use of zip ties etc. will clean it up a bit.

The SSD's are not in Raid, I am using them as individual drives and boy are they fast compared to my 830 which is pretty damn fast as it is.

Ah, I see. I honestly don't know what's more impressive to me... 512GBx2 in RAID0, or having a terabyte of usable SSD space. Either way, enjoy!

Hawk269

Ah, I see. I honestly don't know what's more impressive to me... 512GBx2 in RAID0, or having a terabyte of usable SSD space. Either way, enjoy!

lol. Yeah, I removed HDD's alltogether now. My motherboard support 2 more SSD's at Sata 6 speed, so hopefully prices continue to go down and will add a 3rd jus tto have the room since i have a ton of games from Steam. While everything I own would easily fit on the two SSD's, I know in the future I will need a bit more room.

Skel1ingt0n

appaws

Banned
I'm due for a refresher soon, and I was wondering with the new consoles being AMD powered, would it be better to get an AMD card on my next build?

I don't think it has anything to do with the consoles at all. I can't imagine we are going to see all the console ports suddenly being super optimized for AMD cards just because they make the graphics processor for the Consoles.

AMD just seems to be in the good performance/value range these days, especially with the free games they are giving out with the 7800 series and 7900 series cards.

With so many people sticking with 1920x1080 displays, that makes something like the 7850 really awesome. Is there any statistical evidence for what resolutions people game at...? It just seems to me that pushing ahead with GPUs could be held back somewhat because so many people will just stick to 1080p.

Looking at buying a new PC soon.

I definitely want the biggest amount of power in the smallest possible case/form factor.

Is there any limitations to buying the small form factor cases regarding certain parts not fitting and such? Any recommendations on good valued pre-assembled PCs? Is the SFF PC in the OP really a phenomenal buy?

Don't do any gaming, but I do a ton of audio/video production and editing and would like to keep the price in the $500-800 range if possible. Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some pics of my build upgrade.
Your color scheme boggles my mind. Pretty tidy though!
Looking at buying a new PC soon.

I definitely want the biggest amount of power in the smallest possible case/form factor.

Is there any limitations to buying the small form factor cases regarding certain parts not fitting and such? Any recommendations on good valued pre-assembled PCs? Is the SFF PC in the OP really a phenomenal buy?

Don't do any gaming, but I do a ton of audio/video production and editing and would like to keep the price in the $500-800 range if possible. Thanks.
All the good cases won't have any issues fitting parts sans ATX motherboards and oversized (>160mm) PSUs.

If you don't place a lot of value on gaming you can go with an FX-8320 CPU and mATX/ITX motherboard for cheaper. Drop in 16GB of RAM and a larger SSD. Use the SSF guide to fit your budget.
OK, $800 PC, how good is this for:

-Battlefield 3
-Starcraft

Also, can you make FPS higher by playing on lower graphical settings?
Terrible.
Yes more FPS with lower settings.
I'm fine with that... I just want to play Battlefield with 64 players, 60 FPS...

If neither of those, what about:

$600

$600-$700 range

$900-$1000 Range

? Thank you very much for your advice, btw
Terrible.
Get the Enhanced build and have NCIX assemble it for you.

Hahaha, I need to take some shots of my rig someday.

Looks like a rats nest of cables, dust, and electrical tape compared to some of the beauties in this thread.

For $750 I built this.

Runs the games I play (Sc2, Arma 3, etc.) at max or very close to max settings at 55-60+fps. And yes lowering graphics would make it run with higher FPS, but why wouldn't you want your games to look beautiful :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also, my PC is using DDR 2 ram. Am I correct in presuming that if I switched to a more recent motherboard like Z77, I'd need to buy DDR3 ram as a replacement? Or could the DDR2 still be used for now?

Not that ram seems to be expensive at all these days.

Not sure what your increased budget might be now, but on scan.co.uk today only page, they have a bundle with i5-3570k, gigabyte z77 motherboard and 8GB DDR3 ram for £293

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah that Gigabyte isn't bad.
It's 'recommendations' such as these that make a man uneasy to commit :p

Googling around it seems to have been built with budget overclocking in mind, and allows me to upgrade to an SSD sometime down the line, so I don't really think I'd need much more else in a motherboard, would I?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's 'recommendations' such as these that make a man uneasy to commit :p

Googling around it seems to have been built with budget overclocking in mind, and allows me to upgrade to an SSD sometime down the line, so I don't really think I'd need much more else in a motherboard, would I?

No. Motherboards can be a nightmare, with tiny little things like onboard Bluetooth or not being the difference between a standard, pro, pro-z or whatever silly names they have.

Jump on that bundle and you should have a great little platform to incremental upgrade when you want to - SSD, new GPU etc

Suairyu

Banned
You guys are assholes. You just made me spend £314 (with carriage and "i fucked up" insurance). I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

kharma45

You guys are assholes. You just made me spend £314 (with carriage and "i fucked up" insurance). I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

Well if it's any consolation you've one of the best CPUs around at the minute for price-performance, a good solid mobo and really good RAM.

Suairyu

Banned
I guess that helps.

Actually most excited to see performance gains in PCSX2 emulation, and finally to be able to play my PC copy of GTAIV (yea i know it's a bad port aight i like it)

Thank you so much for all your help, guys! And especially to mrklaw for pointing out that great bundle at the 11th hour.

kharma45

I'd also recommend looking into a cooler when you've got the money like a Hyper 212 to OC the 3570K, plenty more performance to be had out of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Always happy spending someone else's money, and you were almost literally asking for it :)

I'm impatiently awaiting my oculus rift, so I'm on a hair trigger for building a nice SFF rig, can't really afford it though (could sell my y580 to part fund it I guess)

Suairyu

Banned
I'd also recommend looking into a cooler when you've got the money like a Hyper 212 to OC the 3570K, plenty more performance to be had out of it.
Yeah, a few months down the line I'll look into that. Don't think I should spend anymore this month though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom