• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
Model #:BX80637I53570K

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:Z77 Extreme4

SAPPHIRE 100355OCL Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card OC Version
Model #:100355OCL

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Model #:CHALLENGER

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C8D-8GAB

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel

Total=$762.93
How's this looking, any issues that scream out?

HDD I'd transfer from my current PC. Don't think I can transfer over Windows, so I might still have to take an OS into consideration. It's been a while, if I still have my product key from my Windows 7 upgrade, will I be able to re-use that on a newly built machine? I know I was able to do some work around that allowed me to use the upgrade version and still do a nice full clean install.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Not sure why all these Titan reviewers give such high scores. I would be expecting quite a bit more than 20 odd percent over a gtx 680. At that price I would expect at least twice the frame rate... guess I am expecting too much. Crysis 3 not even making 40 fps is not exactly spectacular!

demented

I installed Tomb Raider today and on it's benchmark on normal settings I could barely get average 24 fps which annoyed me greatly. Now I want to build a new PC(old tech can't upgrade) so I was wondering with new consoles around the corner, should one wait for new tech, wait for further price drop of current one ooor? I'm not exactly in a rush but I'm afraid all the upcoming games will not work that good on my PC so might as well if ddr4&company isn't coming this year even(and when it does come out gonna take a while to normalize in price etc..)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I installed Tomb Raider today and on it's benchmark on normal settings I could barely get average 24 fps which annoyed me greatly. Now I want to build a new PC(old tech can't upgrade) so I was wondering with new consoles around the corner, should one wait for new tech, wait for further price drop of current one ooor? I'm not exactly in a rush but I'm afraid all the upcoming games will not work that good on my PC so might as well if ddr4&company isn't coming this year even(and when it does come out gonna take a while to normalize in price etc..)

I know I am waiting... however my rig still has some nice power left in her. So really up to you, however new pc hardware is bound to follow the new consoles... you can bet under optimized ports wont cut it under current pc hardware!

kharma45

How's this looking, any issues that scream out?

HDD I'd transfer from my current PC. Don't think I can transfer over Windows, so I might still have to take an OS into consideration. It's been a while, if I still have my product key from my Windows 7 upgrade, will I be able to re-use that on a newly built machine? I know I was able to do some work around that allowed me to use the upgrade version and still do a nice full clean install.

Nope those are all good components. You'll need to phone MS about the Windows activation, they should activate it on your new motherboard for you.

demented

I know I am waiting... however my rig still has some nice power left in her. So really up to you, however new pc hardware is bound to follow the new consoles... you can bet under optimized ports wont cut it under current pc hardware!

Ouch, I guess I'll have to wait but it's gonna be at least a year :\
Guess I'll have to catch up on my backlog rather than play new stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'd recommend not waiting. Titan just came out and AMD won't be replacing the 7970 until late this year. Ivy Bridge processors are so damn good right now that I don't think we can expect major boosts from Haswell or anything AMD has coming out. As far as I know, DDR3 is going to be the standard RAM type for a while to come yet, too.

If you buy something good now (Ivy Bridge quad core, 16 GB 1600MHz RAM, Radeon 7970/GTX 680), I bet you won't be able to find a significant upgrade until mid-to-late 2015 at the earliest.

mkenyon

Banned
Not sure why all these Titan reviewers give such high scores. I would be expecting quite a bit more than 20 odd percent over a gtx 680. At that price I would expect at least twice the frame rate... guess I am expecting too much. Crysis 3 not even making 40 fps is not exactly spectacular!
You're reading the wrong reviews.

bl2-99th.gif

bl2-beyond-16.gif

gw2-99th.gif

gw2-beyond-16.gif

dogs-99th.gif

dogs-beyond-16.gif

ac3-99th.gif

ac3-beyond-16.gif

fc3-99th.gif

fc3-beyond-16.gif

Tech Report and PC Perspective only right now. Second based polling of FPS is extremely inaccurate.

kharma45

Ouch, I guess I'll have to wait but it's gonna be at least a year :\
Guess I'll have to catch up on my backlog rather than play new stuff.

Build whenever you feel like it, there is no right time in PC gaming. The only thing that might be worth waiting on if you're in no rush is Haswell in June. The next new hardware after that won't be until Q4 2013 with the new GPUs and even then it'll probably only be the two flagships that launch, mid-range kit I would expect to see Q1 2014.

Also worth noting that the hardware in the next gen consoles isn't anything overly special, it's a poor CPU coupled with a mid-range PC GPU.

demented

I'd recommend not waiting. Titan just came out and AMD won't be replacing the 7970 until late this year. Ivy Bridge processors are so damn good right now that I don't think we can expect major boosts from Haswell or anything AMD has coming out. As far as I know, DDR3 is going to be the standard RAM type for a while to come yet, too.

If you buy something good now (Ivy Bridge quad core, 16 GB 1600MHz RAM, Radeon 7970/GTX 680), I bet you won't be able to find a significant upgrade until mid-to-late 2015 at the earliest.

Yeah I thought about getting exactly that but my PCs last me 4-5 years at least so there's that, can't afford to drop major $$ on them every few years.

Like the PC I'd get now is 2 average wages here.

Alright fellas, I did it. I bought the enhanced version in the OP!

It cost me around $1K. I dont even have an OS to run it on. Geez.

Strangely, he said something about it not being gaming-friendly. Can someone tell me why?

I got a free copy of Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. He said I could run Tomb Raider if I turned down some of the settings...

I thought this was an enhanced version?

Here is the list of parts:

intel core i5 3570K quad core 3.4 ghz
sapphire amd radeon hd 7850 2 gb gddr5 869MHz clock, 4800 MHz memory
corsair vengeance 8 gb ddr3
pro 3 asrock z77
120 gb sata ssd
wd blue 1tb sata3
shinobi black atx mid tower
antec vp450 450m power supply
cooler master hyper 212 evo direct heat pipe cpu cooler
internal dvd writer

So... I mean... did I do good?

Going to get a friend to build it for me

Koroviev

Strangely, he said something about it not being gaming-friendly. Can someone tell me why?

I got a free copy of Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite. He said I could run Tomb Raider if I turned down some of the settings...

I thought this was an enhanced version?

Here is the list of parts:

intel core i5 3570K quad core 3.4 ghz
sapphire amd radeon hd 7850 2 gb gddr5 869MHz clock, 4800 MHz memory
corsair vengeance 8 gb ddr3
pro 3 asrock z77
120 gb sata ssd
wd blue 1tb sata3
shinobi black atx mid tower
antec vp450 450m power supply
cooler master hyper 212 evo direct heat pipe cpu cooler
internal dvd writer

....Who is he?

I forgot to update but I ended up just saying screw it and upgrading. Went with the 7850 that came with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider free along with the i5 that was suggested. Needless to say it's pretty damn amazing. Huge upgrade.

Thanks guys.

Greymanic

Neo Member
I don’t usually browse this thread much but I’m hoping to get some opinions on a small upgrade I’m looking to do.

I’ve had my machine roughly 4 years now, rough specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (2.8Ghz, 3 Cores)
GPU: Geforce GTS 250 1GB
RAM: 4GB
MB: ASUS M4A785TDV_EVO

Obviously I intend on doing a larger upgrade at some point but as I’m currently a student (and rather poor), I’m more concerned with removing minor bottlenecks. Currently, I believe the main issue to be the GPU (as of late it sounds like it’s on deaths door) and would like to upgrade this.

I’m currently looking at:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-550ti/specifications

I’m sticking to a limit of €100-150 so this is ideal for my price range and more importantly however, I’m limited to PCI-E 2.0 due my motherboard so an older card like this seems necessary unless I’m mistaken.

I’m really just curious if upgrade seems wise? Would I be better holding off until I do a larger upgrade next year or is there a better alternative I’ve overlooked?

kennah

It isn't gaming friendly because nothing has LEDs and the case doesn't have guns or skulls on it. You did good TimeEffect. I'm proud of you

kharma45

I don’t usually browse this thread much but I’m hoping to get some opinions on a small upgrade I’m looking to do.

Obviously I intend on doing a larger upgrade at some point but as I’m currently a student (and rather poor), I’m more concerned with removing minor bottlenecks. Currently, I believe the main issue to be the GPU (as of late it sounds like it’s on deaths door) and would like to upgrade this.

I’m sticking to a limit of €100-150 so this is ideal for my price range and more importantly however, I’m limited to PCI-E 2.0 due my motherboard so an older card like this seems necessary unless I’m mistaken.

I’m really just curious if upgrade seems wise? Would I be better holding off until I do a larger upgrade next year or is there a better alternative I’ve overlooked?

PCIe 3 is backwards compatible. For €150 you should be able to just about get a 7850.

Koroviev

550ti is not great for gaming. I would look at the OP for ideal budget cards.

Anton668

It isn't gaming friendly because nothing has LEDs and the case doesn't have guns or skulls on it. You did good TimeEffect. I'm proud of you

damn it, he's right! turn right around and buy a LED kit... wait... at least 5 so you can do the underside as well! and some other random front led displays and some totally awesome graphixs to bling that bitch up yo!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Khama, you UK based? Roughly what would it cost for an i5/8gb/670 build with 256gb SSD (I can reuse a spare HDD)m no optical drive?

There are a few pre-built ones coming in under £1000 and I'm not sure how much more I'd save from that?

kharma45

Khama, you UK based? Roughly what would it cost for an i5/8gb/670 build with 256gb SSD (I can reuse a spare HDD)m no optical drive?

There are a few pre jilts coming in under £1000 and I'm not sure how much more I'd save from that?

I am, I've quickly thrown this together as an idea of cost with good quality bits inside her

£902 for this build, but there is money to be saved from the PSU potentially and you could also choose a lesser SSD instead of the 840 Pro like the Kingston V300 240GB which would cut £20 off the price.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ICWv

Case I chose was the Shinobi but at that price level there is also the Corsair 200R which I myself have, the Zalman Z11 Plus and a few others.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is Haswell going to up the SATA port to express?

God damn I've got the bug good. I'm even thinking about if SSDs can be easily RAIDed without hitting SATA controller bottlenecks.

I feel like we're in the dark ages of the modern PC. Sandy Bridge was an oasis in the middle. This mobile computing stuff is getting really boring. I need new GPUs/CPUs, now! Some of it is software too. GPU compute for video re-encoding BDROMs is buggy, so I have to use CPU. Even with Sandy Bridge that takes over an hour. In a couple of years with proper GPU acceleration, it will be a 5 minute thing.

Just want to throw out a props to G.Skill's RMA process. Filled out the form online, got my RMA number within 24 hours, sent my 2 sticks of RAM on a Monday, they received them that Thursday, and I had my RAM the following Friday (8 days after they received my sticks or about 5-6 business days). New sticks work perfectly. Never had to RMA before, but I can only hope that all of them work that well.

*Sent in 2x4 GB 1.25V 1600MHz DDR3.

Varna

Any 690 GTX users have experience with the Accelero Twin-Turbo 690? Newegg has em at the moment for $99 dollars and I'm thinking of getting one. I had great experience with their 580 version (though a total pain to install) but this one is fairly new and I don't see many reviews.

chunk3rvd

Slightly OT but I figure this is the best place to ask:

My friends has a 1GB external HD and a few days ago he kicked the USB cable as he was walking past and knocked the connection off of the PCB inside. It won't connect to anything at all now. I managed to dismantle the thing with a small Phillips screwdriver so all that remains is a standard SATA hard drive - same size as a HD that would go in a tower but I'm unsure - is that 2.5" or 3.5"?

I purchased a caddy/enclosure for a ATA drive years back and I want to find him something similar but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I just need something that connects with USB and it will probably need a power supply as the drive is quite big. Does anyone have an idea what it is I'm actually looking for and where I can get one at a reasonable price (UK)?

Sorry if I come across as a dumb fuck. I've been out of the PC landscape for almost 10 years and my knowledge has pretty much dried up and become invalid now :/ Thanks in advance

Slightly winging this first build of mine. Everything seemed to go fine until I ran into this problem:

My 660 Ti isn't recognized. It's not under Device Manager and I can't install Nvidia drivers because I don't get past system check (says there's no graphics hardware detected). Google isn't helping. Intel Graphics 4000 on the CPU works.

What the hell am I doing.

NoRéN

Slightly winging this first build of mine. Everything seemed to go fine until I ran into this problem:

My 660 Ti isn't recognized. It's not under Device Manager and I can't install Nvidia drivers because I don't get past system check (says there's no graphics hardware detected). Google isn't helping. Intel Graphics 4000 on the CPU works.

What the hell am I doing.

Reseat the card.

Wait, are you getting video through the card?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

'Something' is pretty vague. Answer is everything is good, but the Pro3 sometimes can have trouble holding a turbo overclock. If you have this problem I suggest you try to return for an upgrade or RMA.
Just want to throw out a props to G.Skill's RMA process. Filled out the form online, got my RMA number within 24 hours, sent my 2 sticks of RAM on a Monday, they received them that Thursday, and I had my RAM the following Friday (8 days after they received my sticks or about 5-6 business days). New sticks work perfectly. Never had to RMA before, but I can only hope that all of them work that well.

*Sent in 2x4 GB 1.25V 1600MHz DDR3.
I had a flawless time with my RMA as well.

I called, printed something. Sent in the RAM with no receipt, got sticks back in 3 days (I bet I'm closer).
Slightly OT but I figure this is the best place to ask:

My friends has a 1GB external HD and a few days ago he kicked the USB cable as he was walking past and knocked the connection off of the PCB inside. It won't connect to anything at all now. I managed to dismantle the thing with a small Phillips screwdriver so all that remains is a standard SATA hard drive - same size as a HD that would go in a tower but I'm unsure - is that 2.5" or 3.5"?

I purchased a caddy/enclosure for a ATA drive years back and I want to find him something similar but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I just need something that connects with USB and it will probably need a power supply as the drive is quite big. Does anyone have an idea what it is I'm actually looking for and where I can get one at a reasonable price (UK)?

Sorry if I come across as a dumb fuck. I've been out of the PC landscape for almost 10 years and my knowledge has pretty much dried up and become invalid now :/ Thanks in advance
3.5"

Here: http://www.novatech.co.uk/search.html?s=HDD enclosure
or Amazon and pick one that isn't terrible and in the style you like.

Jessicat

Hey all, been slowly working towards getting a new computer [mine has now officially died XD], was wondering if any of the RAM on sale at Tiger Direct right now is a good deal? Are there any brands I should avoid? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/email/ca/...ce=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=CANEM2800
I'm grabbing the Samsung 120GB SSD from this sale too, figured I'd consider getting RAM too ^^; [I'll work out the more complicated parts later, and by that I mean come back here and ask for help :B]

Pro 3 is all they have. Um, Im returning the hyper 212 evo cpu cooler becauae my friend said i dont need it and that i wouldbt overclock on bf3. my processor xane with a fan and unless im doing some intense 3d programming i dont need the cpu cooler .. what say gaf?

kennah

Hey all, been slowly working towards getting a new computer [mine has now officially died XD], was wondering if any of the RAM on sale at Tiger Direct right now is a good deal? Are there any brands I should avoid? http://www.tigerdirect.ca/email/ca/...ce=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=CANEM2800
I'm grabbing the Samsung 120GB SSD from this sale too, figured I'd consider getting RAM too ^^; [I'll work out the more complicated parts later, and by that I mean come back here and ask for help :B]

Ehn. That 120 gig has suspected longevity issues (3.5 years under normal/heavy use) and the ram that is on sale is either overkill or 1.65v (which you don't want). Better deals to be had elsewhere. I think other stores in Canada have had that ssd for 89 recently. Spend the 10$ more tonget a more reliable drive and find a set of 1.5v 2x4gb for around $50

Pro 3 is all they have. Um, Im returning the hyper 212 evo cpu cooler becauae my friend said i dont need it and that i wouldbt overclock on bf3. my processor xane with a fan and unless im doing some intense 3d programming i dont need the cpu cooler .. what say gaf?
Your friend is dead wrong. The processor you bought is designed for overclocking. That 35$ fan gets you a free GHz of performance. That is an extra 30%. For 35$. It is the best possible value today

Jessicat

Ehn. That 120 gig has suspected longevity issues (3.5 years under normal/heavy use) and the ram that is on sale is either overkill or 1.65v (which you don't want). Better deals to be had elsewhere. I think other stores in Canada have had that ssd for 89 recently. Spend the 10$ more tonget a more reliable drive and find a set of 1.5v 2x4gb for around $50
Really? Darn, I thought Samsung made decent enough produts; I know I'm never dealing with Seagate again :/ Ah well, the search continues...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tried that and nope. I get video through the MOBO's HDMI out, using the CPU's integrated graphics.
Reseat graphics card. Check in 24 pin power and 4/8pin power are in mobo.
Check is both 6/6+2 pin power is in gpu
Read your motherboard manual and select PEG / PCI under graphics options (whatever sets it to use PCI-E)
Ehn. That 120 gig has suspected longevity issues (3.5 years under normal/heavy use) and the ram that is on sale is either overkill or 1.65v (which you don't want).
Where are you getting that figure from for SSD wear? The 840's are nowhere near that number iirc.
* http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand
**http://www.anandtech.com/show/6337/samsung-ssd-840-250gb-review/4

The 3.5 Years number comes from writing 10 GB a day of mostly random data with a write amplification of 10x. In real world use it's much lower than that. I'd give the thing at least 5 years (More than likely 8-10), plus you can check on your drive's health and still read the data off it.
Faster CPU gives you more stable framerates and runs certain games better giving you more FPS. It's more a case of having a 'good enough CPU' than a 'fast one'. If your CPU is too slow for something it's not a good time.
A cooler is nice for overclocking, but it's not something you need to do, though the benefits are quite good (Higher OC, lower temperatures, quieter cooling).

And your friend is incorrect. Ask him to back up his claims with online articles and reviews or examples.
Really? Darn, I thought Samsung made decent enough produts; I know I'm never dealing with Seagate again :/ Ah well, the search continues...
The 840 is the first TLC (triple layer) SSD and is intended for the mass market. Due to how it is made (21nm + TLC) it has a lower write tolerance, but also costs >25% less to make. So you get tons of awesome benefits at what is becoming an increasingly lower price. The 840 is a quality product. Far better than many other offerings. Just know the specifics of it.
The 830 and 840 Pro are faster and more robust drives and also cost more.

bro1

Banned
Your friend has no clue. Keep the 212.

kennah

Samsung does. The 840 Pro is great and the 250gig 840 is fine. It has to do with the type of chip they used in the 120gig version.

They do (the 830 and the 840 Pro are very popular and recommended by a lot) its just that for this product in question they are using a process that doesn't seem to be great in regards to the lifetime of the thing but allows the drives to finally go down in cost.

The Crucial M4 is usually the next recommended choice

Your friend is dead wrong. The processor you bought is designed for overclocking. That 35$ fan gets you a free GHz of performance. That is an extra 30%. For 35$. It is the best possible value today

ok ok guys thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom