• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you deleted everything in C:\NVIDIA\ ?

Try reinstalling the games?

Trying to avoid reinstalling at the moment, but yes. Deleted Nvidia folders, ran the Driver Sweep from 3D Guru, and have rebooted the machine more then the entirety of 2012 as of today.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. That's everything finished and I should be able to order them in a week or 2. Got the Sapphire card as well.

Now hopefully I can build it without burning the house down.

mkenyon

Banned
Read through the manual more and it seems it's to do with the VTT being too high. Is this possible to lower without having a screen?
Though that may be the case, all RIVE's ship with LN2 mode enabled, and I do know for a fact that needs to be disabled in order to boot.

Other things to try out:

1) Press the Mem OK button while booting up

2) Reset CMOS

3) Update the BIOS with this method

4) Ensure that your CPU is seated properly and the power plug is seated and clipped in for CPU power.

5) Try booting with one stick of RAM, alternate which stick you are using to boot.
Trying to avoid reinstalling at the moment, but yes. Deleted Nvidia folders, ran the Driver Sweep from 3D Guru, and have rebooted the machine more then the entirety of 2012 as of today.
I'd try googling how to manually enable/disable physx in the binaries.

ombz

Awhile ago I broke one of the front usb 3.0 ports on my 500R case. Corsair sent a new front I/O port recently but after I installed it and connected the usb 3.0 to the motherboard (MSI P67A-C43 B3) the ports are not recognized at all. I'm not sure what to do now. To be clear the front usb ports did work before I broke one of them.

THE:MILKMAN

No problem, let me know if you need anything!

I'll hold you to that! I have now ordered the parts and should have them installed by Saturday.

Quick dumb question....Is there anything different to installing the AMD CPU/Fan compared to Intel?

Never had AMD except my first ever pre-built PC back in the day.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Though that may be the case, all RIVE's ship with LN2 mode enabled, and I do know for a fact that needs to be disabled in order to boot.

Other things to try out:

1) Press the Mem OK button while booting up

2) Reset CMOS

3) Update the BIOS with this method

4) Ensure that your CPU is seated properly and the power plug is seated and clipped in for CPU power.

5) Try booting with one stick of RAM, alternate which stick you are using to boot.

I'd try googling how to manually enable/disable physx in the binaries.

Some more things now lol. I missed the 8 pin power plug above the CPU. After doing this I now have a display on the mobo for the temprature. Apparently I have to put in a EZ Plug 1.

When connecting everything up to PSU's do they have to be placed in certain places?

ombz

Have you installed the USB 3.0 Drivers? Enabled them in BIOS?

Windows prompted me to install USB 3.0 Drivers so I installed it that way. I don't know if I should try uninstalling them first and trying again. Where would you look to enable them in BIOS? I looked under USB settings in the BIOS and it looked like everything was enabled.

Read through the manual more and it seems it's to do with the VTT being too high. Is this possible to lower without having a screen?

This may sound silly, but did you connect all the power connectors? There's the 24pin and a 8pin at the top of the board (and a 4pin, just checked the manual).

Edit: Ok I'm late.

xero273

I just noticed that my write speeds for my 830 were slow and found out I need to enable write caching. Not sure if it should be updated in the OP since the M4 is in there.

DJ_Lae

Quick dumb question....Is there anything different to installing the AMD CPU/Fan compared to Intel?

I haven't built an AMD PC since AM2 but I think the mechanism is the same on their current socket - heatsinks are far, far easier to install as you just place it on there, loop the bracket through and twist a lever on the one side. Done.

mkenyon

Banned
Some more things now lol. I missed the 8 pin power plug above the CPU. After doing this I now have a display on the mobo for the temprature. Apparently I have to put in a EZ Plug 1.

When connecting everything up to PSU's do they have to be placed in certain places?
The RIVE is kind of an exception to the rule due to all of the extra power plugs that are made entirely for people who are overclocking with LN2, but generally the rule is:

"If it doesn't fit there, it doesn't go there. If it fits there, it goes there."

The ones you want to plug power to on the RIVE are circled in orange, the ones you don't are crossed in purple.

eeYvh7M.jpg
Windows prompted me to install USB 3.0 Drivers so I installed it that way. I don't know if I should try uninstalling them first and trying again. Where would you look to enable them in BIOS? I looked under USB settings in the BIOS and it looked like everything was enabled.
I'd try downloading them from your motherboard manufacturer's website, but Windows wouldn't prompt for installation unless they were enabled and detected.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
This may sound silly, but did you connect all the power connectors? There's the 24pin and a 8pin at the top of the board (and a 4pin, just checked the manual).

I missed the 8pin above the cpu but I'm still wondering if I've connected everything in the right places to the PSU or if I'm missing something.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
The RIVE is kind of an exception to the rule due to all of the extra power plugs that are made entirely for people who are overclocking with LN2, but generally the rule is:

"If it doesn't fit there, it doesn't go there. If it fits there, it goes there."

The ones you want to plug power to on the RIVE are circled in orange, the ones you don't are crossed in purple.

Yup got them connected.

I have them connected to both the 24 pin atx and the 8 pin to the bottom next to the small 24 pin atx. Is that right?

THE:MILKMAN

I haven't built an AMD PC since AM2 but I think the mechanism is the same on their current socket - heatsinks are far, far easier to install as you just place it on there, loop the bracket through and twist a lever on the one side. Done.

That sounds a lot better than the Intel system. My current Intel system was dead easy to build except the annoying heatsink.....took me 15 minutes to fit properly!

mkenyon

Banned
I missed the 8pin above the cpu but I'm still wondering if I've connected everything in the right places to the PSU or if I'm missing something.
Easy way to remember:

Every device has two connections, data and power.

Storage drives will need two cables (flat SATA data and power connectors)

Video cards transmit data and some power through the gold fingers, but will need power cables. (6+2 PCI-E connectors)

Memory transmits both data and power through the gold fingers.

Motherboards need a CPU and ATX power (8/4 Pin and 24 Pin)

For miscellaneous stuff like the closed loop coolers will need power for their pumps (molex/sata/fan headers), fans (can get power from mobo or use 3 pin fan adapters to molex), LEDs (same as fans), etc.

brentech

Sounds like you're getting it worked out. Just make sure all peripherals have power and data (likely SATA) and you should be good.

Hell, since you had an error earlier, once you have your SSD or HDD connected properly I'd probably power on and let the system POST to make sure it's all good.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Apologies in advance for the poor photo quality. Didn't have any decent lighting in my room and I didn't want to go through too much trouble trying to get a nice picture while the insides look as messy as they currently do.

But anyways, here are the first pics of my $485 PC! (Well, before the Samsung 840 Pro)
I'm still not firing it up until the monitor gets here on Thursday, but I felt the need to do some tinkering, so I installed the 840 Pro and did some rudimentary cable management.

dvewwWr.jpg

Getting really excited to try it out!

mkenyon

Banned
How are you liking the case? Most people scoff at Lian Li until they really get to play around with one and touch it. It's like getting behind the wheel of a BMW for the first time.

Kipp

How are you liking the case? Most people scoff at Lian Li until they really get to play around with one and touch it. It's like getting behind the wheel of a BMW for the first time.

Well, I haven't really had a ton of experience with it yet since it was shipped to me all assembled still. However, I must say, I was one of those people who didn't really "get" Lian Li cases, but after getting my hands on it and messing around with it a bit... Just like you said. It really is an incredible case. It's pretty obvious that it's an older case with the lack of much to help with cable management, but it is so incredibly solid. The thing just radiates incredible build quality. And also, the exterior is gorgeous. (I'll be getting pics of the outside of it once I get everything set up)

Speaking of my PC-62. Here is the dimensions of the Compact Splash taped out onto my case.

Haha. That's amazing.

So since I come to terms that i need a new motherboard, i was looking at a couple options, the ASRock Extreme4 or the MSI MPower. Is the MPower worth it for the extra 50 bucks? Which one would OC better without drawing much power? I'm guessing both would be equally suitable for the Haswell chips.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So not even a refresh reveal at NVidia's conference?

2013 is a year of fail with PC hardware. Wait for Skylake and Maxwell I guess. And god damn I had another HDD in RAID1 fail. These things go out faster than light bulbs these days.

Built my first PC ever thanks to this thread. Now I have a question for veteran overclockers. The Overclock3D.net link in the OP was also very helpful.

Specs:
i5-3570K @ 3.4(3.8 turbo)
MSI z77A-G43 mobo
8 GB RAM
650W PSU
AMD 7950 GPU

Is it feasible to achieve a small speed bump to 4.2 GHz without increasing the voltage?

Reason, of course, is that I'm still using my stock cooler. I will purchase a CM 212+ in the near future, if that will stop the tomatoes from being thrown at me. But I am really, really pleased with the temperatures I'm getting right now and was curious if I can get a "free" 200-400 MHz boost without a significant increase in temps.

Bonus question: if the above is feasible, has anyone tried undervolting a 3570K @ 4.2? Very curious.

Thanks in advance.

It might be possible. There's a lot of variation between CPUs, and motherboards determine some of the voltage needed too.

But I'd be concerned about noise and cooling with a stock cooler. If noise doesn't bother you, try it out. You could even start with 4.0 GHz, that should be safe on a stock cooler. But I'd consider a closed loop heatsink so you can safely get to 4.3-4.6 GHz without causing your PC to sound like it has a hairdryer in it.

kennah

Neither would work with Haswell. It is a completely different socket. You would have to wait for the equivelant boards released with the z87 chipset

mkenyon

Banned
So since I come to terms that i need a new motherboard, i was looking at a couple options, the ASRock Extreme4 or the MSI MPower. Is the MPower worth it for the extra 50 bucks? Which one would OC better without drawing much power? I'm guessing both would be equally suitable for the Haswell chips.
I will give you a definitive answer tonight, as I'll be OC'ing Mr Pocket's build.

I really like the motherboard so far.

mkenyon

Banned
Great features, amazing price, but the thin PCB made me cringe. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't an enthusiast as *the* Z77 board to get, but would never use it myself, if that makes sense.
That is art

I'm just going to mail you all the compact splash parts and let you build it :p
I'm getting better at taking good pictures, and I swear they increase the prettiness of whatever is being captured.

But, this motherboard actually does look that pretty. Like jaw dropping pretty.

Straxus

GAF, I need some quick help. Kinda related to this topic.

My brothers friend bought an HP ENVY h8-1435 with the default card at the link, so he can add an nvidia GTX 550 Ti. He also bought a Antec 550W (I have double check the psu).

He's apparently having power issues. Not enough to the GPU, and I was basically just trying to make sure he had the 6 pin plugged in correctly.

My brothers on the road right now (also diff states) so I can't ask him for more info yet.

Any tips or help appreciated.

If I'm in the wrong, I apologize for using the thread.

Hey guys, I've posted in this thread before and you guys advised me on some of my specs on my potential build.

The GPU I was thinking about was the 7970 Ghz Ed. You guys think I should wait for the better AMD video cards at the end of the year? Or will the 7970 last me for a decent amount of next gen?

Since I've never bought and build a rig before, what would be the estimated price of a new high-end AMD GPU approximately?

scogoth

Lian Li Don't Play That.

(wish I could in my PC62)

Speaking of my PC-62. Here is the dimensions of the Compact Splash taped out onto my case.

I can tell you want the new case. I caught on to your subtle hints.

Great features, amazing price, but the thin PCB made me cringe. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't an enthusiast as *the* Z77 board to get, but would never use it myself, if that makes sense.

I'm getting better at taking good pictures, and I swear they increase the prettiness of whatever is being captured.

But, this motherboard actually does look that pretty. Like jaw dropping pretty.

I'm going to send you my rig to take pictures.

Got my connectors, got my sleeving. Just need a crimping tool and some wire to actually make the cables!

brentech

Tomorrow afternoon/evening can't come soon enough. The last of my items before I can load up my new system and start playing around with overclocking.

I'm going crazy over here.

Kipp

Thaaaaat's better. Got out the tripod and took some better pictures. Just a bit of editing first...

Edit: Here we go! I still need to figure out a better way to light the interior though.

iOuPLnAqqcLX4.jpg

iqlJMAC3H9MDb.jpg

iPy9otsb9fmc6.jpg

And another boring picture of the inside

ig1kPDVpUU0x0.jpg

MisterNoisy

GAF, I need some quick help. Kinda related to this topic.

My brothers friend bought an HP ENVY h8-1435 with the default card at the link, so he can add an nvidia GTX 550 Ti. He also bought a Antec 550W (I have double check the psu).

He's apparently having power issues. Not enough to the GPU, and I was basically just trying to make sure he had the 6 pin plugged in correctly.

My brothers on the road right now (also diff states) so I can't ask him for more info yet.

Any tips or help appreciated.

If I'm in the wrong, I apologize for using the thread.

I almost guarantee that the card is starved. Buy a decent 500W+ PSU to replace whatever is in there (you may have gotten a bum PSU from Antec, in which case RMA it) and you'll be good to go.

I have a 2500k and I heard about people getting close to 4 ghz on stock voltage but not a chance on undervolting. I had a wolfdale e5200 and I could get 500mhz on stock voltage so if you want 4-500 I'd say its feasible.
It might be possible. There's a lot of variation between CPUs, and motherboards determine some of the voltage needed too.

But I'd be concerned about noise and cooling with a stock cooler. If noise doesn't bother you, try it out. You could even start with 4.0 GHz, that should be safe on a stock cooler. But I'd consider a closed loop heatsink so you can safely get to 4.3-4.6 GHz without causing your PC to sound like it has a hairdryer in it.
Thanks for the replies. I did a very small overclock to 4 GHz and am quite pleased with the results. Did not change the voltage. For some reason my CPU doesn't boost from 3.4 to 3.8 GHz as often in-game as I would like it too, so having this constant 4 GHz running did make a noticeable improvement to my framerates. Fan noise is unchanged, temps maybe 3-4 degrees higher, at most.

Straxus

I almost guarantee that the card is starved. Buy a decent 500W+ PSU to replace whatever is in there (you may have gotten a bum PSU from Antec, in which case RMA it) and you'll be good to go.

Thanks for reply MisterNoisy

My brother said the PSU is Antec 550W

Edit: I'll let him know that if he's got everything hooked up correctly, prob might be the psu

knitoe

Thanks for the replies. I did a very small overclock to 4 GHz and am quite pleased with the results. Did not change the voltage. For some reason my CPU doesn't boost from 3.4 to 3.8 GHz as often in-game as I would like it too, so having this constant 4 GHz running did make a noticeable improvement to my framerates. Fan noise is unchanged, temps maybe 3-4 degrees higher, at most.

The max Intel boost, like from 3.4 to 3.8GHz, only happens in one core. If a software uses more cores, the boost will be even lower depending on how many cores are used. For example, if a game uses all 4 cores, it's only going to boost to 3.5GHz for all cores. That's why overclocking is much better. In you case, you overclock all cores to 4GHz.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well I'm at a loss. I can't find anway of getting the system on. It's a shame looks quite pretty. :(

Time for some good old fashion brute force process of elimination:
1. Is your PSU plugged into a good outlet? Some houses and apartments have outlets that are weak and are for things like lamps.
2. Do you have another PSU you could borrow from a good system? This is very useful to have when power is in question. Having this pretty much can tell you if the motherboard or PSU is at fault.
3. Is the power switch pin connected?
4. Did it ever boot? If so, try clearing CMOS. You can do that typically with a jumper. Some motherboards are stupid about boot recovery. Most will revert to defaults after a few failing boots, but others get stuck. This is useful there.
5. Are your RAM sticks where your motherboard manual recommends?

Motherboards are shit in reliability. I've built a couple of dozen PCs at work. 10% have bad motherboards. It's like they don't test them at all.

The max boost, like from 3.4 to 3.8GHz, only happens in one core. If a software uses more cores, the boost will be even lower depending on how many cores are used. For example, if a game uses all 4 cores, it's only going to boost to 3.5GHz for all cores. That's why overclocking is much better. In you case, you overclock all cores to 4GHz.
What did confuse me about using MSI's BIOS compared to the Gigabyte BIOS demonstrated from OP's Overclock3D.net overclocking link was that I couldn't find the option for adjusting CPU ratios for each core. TTL in the Youtube video did set each core, for what it's worth. Moreover, I couldn't set a direct voltage number on MSI's BIOS, can only add increments, e.g., +0.02V, +0.04V, etc.

bo7caBu.jpg

Gigabyte said:

scogoth

Pics might be a tad dark got shit lighting so I had to use the flash. Some more here - http://gizmowned.minus.com/

Should I remove the Cmos battery for 10 minutes?

Found your problem. Sorry mkenyon was incorrect. You have to plug in both the 8 and 4pin connector at the top of the board labelled EATX12v_1 and EATX12V_2

From the manual
Do not forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug; otherwise, the system
will not boot.

If that doesn't work can you get on skype or mumble for some more troubleshooting?

EDIT: also damn that does look good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom