• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I pulled the trigger. I really hope I don't regret this a year or two from now.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Titanium grey
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek 600W Silver 80+ Silver Full Modular, PFC
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 3.5g High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Cooling Compound AS5-3.5G
Cooling: Intel Thermal Solution Liquid
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5
Hard Drive 1: Crucial m4 512GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
Hard Drive 2: Crucial m4 512GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
Hard Drive 3: Crucial m4 512GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
DVD: Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Blue CHERRY MX Switches
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse (Grey)
Monitor 1: Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit Monitor
Monitor 2: Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit Monitor
Speakers: Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506 (980-000430)

Fuck, I can't believe I actually pulled the trigger, lol.

Edit: I went with the Ripjaw instead of the Trident because even though I trust you guys, my past experience with diagnosing random problems left me sour, and the extra $50 or so was worth the extra peace of mind.

red731

I think I have finalized my build -

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M - Intel Z77
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K
+cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ EVO
+thermal paste: Arctic Cooling MX-4 (4g)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black Low Profile 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600
GFX: GIGABYTE HD7970 Ultra Durable 3GB
OS HDD: Samsung SSD 840 Series - 128GB, Pro
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 1TB
Drive: ASUS DRW-24B5ST black
PSU: Seasonic M12II-750 Bronze (SS-750AM F3) 750W
Case: Fractal DEFINE R4 Black Pearl
+fans - 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWM

I will buy it in less than a month(maybe in under 14 days) and I am still open to changes and ideas.

Guys? The fans up are 120mm. Should I buy 2xNOCTUA NF-P14-FLX 140mm instead?
Also exchanged 1TB Seagate for 3TB.

Mogwai

Alright, so I pulled the trigger. I really hope I don't regret this a year or two from now.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Titanium grey
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011
Power Supply: Silverstone Tek 600W Silver 80+ Silver Full Modular, PFC
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 3.5g High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Cooling Compound AS5-3.5G
Cooling: Intel Thermal Solution Liquid
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost 3GB DDR5
Hard Drive 1: Crucial m4 512GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
Hard Drive 2: Crucial m4 512GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
Hard Drive 3: Crucial m4 512GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s
DVD: Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Blue CHERRY MX Switches
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse (Grey)
Monitor 1: Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit Monitor
Monitor 2: Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED-Lit Monitor
Speakers: Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z506 (980-000430)

Fuck, I can't believe I actually pulled the trigger, lol.

Edit: I went with the Ripjaw instead of the Trident because even though I trust you guys, my past experience with diagnosing random problems left me sour, and the extra $50 or so was worth the extra peace of mind.
Damn, that's a killer rig. But why did you only go with 7970 OC? Seems a little modest :)

Katoki

Assuming my current motherboard doesn't power anything except the ethernet port light and that a good board without a CPU will at least power fans (in my case at least the CPU fan) and other such objects that don't require a set of instructions, it's safe to say my board is shot? I tried a working power supply on it and it had the same result as my original power supply where nothing powered on except for that ethernet port light. Also tried the single stick ram in both slots and no luck.

Just trying to confirm what I'm finding on the Internet. I really need to stop fixing what ain't broke. That or they need to put headers for motherboard speakers on ITX boards.

Damn, that's a killer rig. But why did you only go with 7970 OC? Seems a little modest :)

jcZgX3V.png

In all seriousness though, i could have gone SLI/Crossfire but the games i play arent the kind that are famous for (or perhaps even capable of) maxing out even 1 card, much less 2. so the 7970 was probably overkill, but given how much everything already cost, the price differential seemed to not matter much

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Worth doing push-pull on a H60? It's set up as rear exhaust for now (bitfenix prodigy)which I think is ok because the interior isn't really hot and it'll help reduce dust build up. Which fan should I use - either the standard one that comes with the H60 so I have two the same, or get two new ones?

Thinking to move the stock 120mm front fan to a top exhaust and then put a 230mm front fan in

How about speed control? Only have two headers in my motherboard. Can I run both radiator fans off the CPU header? Then maybe the intake fan off the chassis header, and the extra exhaust just off the PSU (with something to lower the speed).

Is it ok to run the H60 pump direct off the PSU? It's currently on the chassis header and reporting 4,000 rpm so seems fine, just seems a waste to have it using up a header

edit: thinking to move the radiator fan to the CPU header, the H60 to the system fan header so I can still monitor the rpm, and keep the case fan on the PSU directly (bitfenix spectre pro 230mm coming and its 3 pin so would be full speed anyway, can tweak with a low voltage adapter if necessary)

edit2: moving the radiator fan to the cpu header let me drop the temps nicely. Is there any issue with that though - eg if I get a pump failure the CPU temp will skyrocket - can I still get an alarm/shutdown?

red731

Question:

Since I want to build something now and don't want to wait some weeks so I can buy everything at once, I am thinking about not buying the GFX and use ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M - Intel Z77 mobo's integrated solution.

I suppose there won't even be problems with the drivers if I install GFX later right?

Mogwai

jcZgX3V.png

In all seriousness though, i could have gone SLI/Crossfire but the games i play arent the kind that are famous for (or perhaps even capable of) maxing out even 1 card, much less 2. so the 7970 was probably overkill, but given how much everything already cost, the price differential seemed to not matter much

Heh. Well, in any case that setup will last you a good long time.

I could definitely live with 3 SSDs myself :D

Duriii

Anyone here using HD 7970 with 120 Hz monitor? Does flickering issuse still occurs with newer AMD drivers? I was just about to purchase that video card, but then I decided to check some things about using that refresh rate. I stumbled upon those two links and I started to worry...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/348345-33-screen-flickers-running-120hz-radeon-7970#t2605707
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1678233

Both those topics are at least 6 months old and I can't find any newer info about it. Does any of those proposed solutions actually work? I also can purchase GTX 670 for the similiar price, and it supposedly doesn't have those problems. But I also heard that Radeon is a slightly better card, so I'm not really sure what to do here...

Additionally, I'm confused about available interfaces in that graphic card (Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB DDR5 PCI-E BOX). According to store site:

D-Sub: No
DVI: DVI-I
HDMI: Yes
Additional 2x Mini DisplayPort

As far as I know, I need to use DVI-D cable to properly display 1920x1080/120Hz image, but I can't seem to find that interface here. Is it even possible, to do that here? I looked at other models from different manufacturers at the same store, and they don't seem to have DVI-D out, but I can see that on Gigabyte GTX 670. People use those cards with those monitors, so maybe I'm somehow uninformed here, or those are some cheaper models without DVI-D for eastern european market?

I've ordered my PC now and thanks to kharma45 for the suggestion of using the 7850.

When putting it together what do I need to do to ensure I'm grounded?

Anton668

I've ordered my PC now and thanks to kharma45 for the suggestion of using the 7850.

dont wear wool socks on shag carpet!

but really, make sure to discharge yourself by regularly touching something metal, work on a wood bench/table, dont set anything on the antistatic bags pcs come in, common sense stuff really...

AndyBNV

Nvidia

I've have never bothered with that grounding malarkey in 16 years of PC building. Saying that, if you're building on static-friendly carpets and are yourself prone to static shocks, it might be worth doing as the kits are inexpensive.

Xdrive05

Got the MSI 7950 turbo/boost Twin Frozr III from Newegg, and mine came with the 2x6pins PCB and a 960/1200 default clock. The default fan profile was a little too aggressive and noisy for my tastes. The Twin Frozr III fans get quite loud over 50%, too loud for me! :)

I upped the voltage a little and I have it perfectly stable at 1160/1575 (it needed the voltage bump for that). Core temps top out at 71c but stay under 69c in Crysis 3, and the vdimm temps top out around 74c.

I guess I could get better temps by re-seating the cooling with some Arctic Silver 5 or something, but I'm concerned it might void the 3 year warranty. Anyone know if MSI allows this? Can't find anything definite on their site.

EDIT: those temps are at 50% fan speed, btw.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Fuck my Windows 7 64 bit disc is cracked so I'm left with the 32 bit version.

Can you purchase Windows online as a download then pull to a USB stick?

Everything seems to be running fine apart from this problem. I had a look through the Asus settings and all looks fine.

Edit: Or should I move onto Windows 8?

Nif

Anyone ever have this issue? I bought some new parts from newegg, including a motherboard and ram combo. (Biostar TZ77a and Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4GB x4)) Everything works, except when I put any combination of memory into two of the memory slots, I get an error code and no post.

ie:

Slots A1, A2, B1, B2
Dual channel should work on A1 + B2, A2 + B2

I can boot and operate normally in any combination of A1 and/or A2 with any stick of ram, but putting them into B1 or B2 only, or any combination of either, and I get an error.

When I get home from work, I'm planning on messing with timing and voltages to be sure. I wish I knew if it was a memory compatibility issue or if the motherboard is busted, but I don't have any other DDR3 to test with.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Your luck of late is horrible. I hope you get a big swing in the other direction from here on, heh

Isn't it lol. I couldn't find a flash drive so had to look for my old iPod which luckily I could convert to a flash.

Plugged in and it says it's unable to copy over the files. I'm going to mount the ISO and drag the contents over. I bet something else will happen.

Oh and my 2TB HDD won't show up. Checked the connections. ;[

News Bot

Banned
Wondering if anyone can comment on what I need to upgrade? I know the GPU is a given. I want to see how much I can get away with, but I don't mind selling this one in order to build a newer one.

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D - LGA775
PSU: Corsair 750w
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Palit/Xpertvision 9600GT Sonic 1GB DDR3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair
HDD1: 1TB
HDD2: 500GB

On a side-note, my budget for a new build is currently £500 (highest I'll go on a GPU is £300). Any good suggestions, and whether I should go Intel/AMD and NVIDIA/ATI?

Intending to get at least two SSD's too, one for Windows and the other for games or video recording.

Also, what's a large, cheap PC case?

Heh. Well, in any case that setup will last you a good long time.

I could definitely live with 3 SSDs myself :D

Yea the 3 SSDs is mostly because of work. I was originally going to do 1 regular and 2 ssds, using the 2 ssds in a raid0 as my secondary, non boot partition, but i think it was mkenyon who convinced me to get another ssd for booting.

You know, theres this little known fact that if you spend more than 2% (at least i think its 2%) of your adjusted gross income on work related things, you cand deduct it on your taxes. so theres this certain price point where its actually more expensive to spend less, if that makes sense. Thats what ultimately convinced me to go all in on this one.

scogoth

Anyone here using HD 7970 with 120 Hz monitor? Does flickering issuse still occurs with newer AMD drivers? I was just about to purchase that video card, but then I decided to check some things about using that refresh rate. I stumbled upon those two links and I started to worry...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/348345-33-screen-flickers-running-120hz-radeon-7970#t2605707
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1678233

Both those topics are at least 6 months old and I can't find any newer info about it. Does any of those proposed solutions actually work? I also can purchase GTX 670 for the similiar price, and it supposedly doesn't have those problems. But I also heard that Radeon is a slightly better card, so I'm not really sure what to do here...

Additionally, I'm confused about available interfaces in that graphic card (Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB DDR5 PCI-E BOX). According to store site:

D-Sub: No
DVI: DVI-I
HDMI: Yes
Additional 2x Mini DisplayPort

As far as I know, I need to use DVI-D cable to properly display 1920x1080/120Hz image, but I can't seem to find that interface here. Is it even possible, to do that here? I looked at other models from different manufacturers at the same store, and they don't seem to have DVI-D out, but I can see that on Gigabyte GTX 670. People use those cards with those monitors, so maybe I'm somehow uninformed here, or those are some cheaper models without DVI-D for eastern european market?

Not sure about the AMD 120Hz driver situation but they can push 1080p 120Hz over display port. Also DVI-I includes DVI-D, DL DVI-I/D is what you need or DisplayPort. Just make sure the monitor you get has display port, some of the older 120Hz monitors designed for 3D Vision only have DVI and not display port.

Also welcome to the confusing world of display technology =P

Ok, I kind of feel like a dumbass.

I am trying to connect the GTX titan to my power supply unit. It requires two connectors - an 8 pin one, and a 6 'pci-express' pin (per the documentation).

The 8 pin cables I have plenty.
The 6 pin is another story. The card came with that connector, that looks like 6 pin on one side, and the other, two flat connectors that look like the old power supply connector for hard drives. Each looks it should have four pins, but in reality has three.
(looks like the left part of this http://www.techkidpal.com/ebayicons/SY-CAB40007.2.jpg )

I obviously cannot connect those to the power supply unit, but the psu did come with cables that look like the male version of the above.

The most natural thing to do would be to connect the two cables together.. but, just checking
a) is it the right thing to do?
b) why did neither the card nor the psu come with a regular pins-to-pins cable (without going through old IDE power connector)?
c) I connect both cables, right?

Also.. my heatsink (hyper 212 evo) rotates if I try to. Bad sign? Some other people seem to say it's normal, it just feels very wrong to me.

Last..! I am sure it depends on setup, but what kind of temperature should I expect a stress-tested 3770k run at (i.e. when should i start being worried)

Cheers guys.

mkenyon

Banned
Running an S23A750D and XL2420T off of my Matrix 7970 right now. I've had a 7970 as long as I've had 120Hz monitors, and I've never experienced this screen flicker deal.

Use displayport.
Ok, I kind of feel like a dumbass.

I am trying to connect the GTX titan to my power supply unit. It requires two connectors - an 8 pin one, and a 6 'pci-express' pin (per the documentation).

The 8 pin cables I have plenty.
The 6 pin is another story. The card came with that connector, that looks like 6 pin on one side, and the other, two flat connectors that look like the old power supply connector for hard drives. Each looks it should have four pins, but in reality has three.
(looks like the left part of this http://www.techkidpal.com/ebayicons/SY-CAB40007.2.jpg )

I obviously cannot connect those to the power supply unit, but the psu did come with cables that look like the male version of the above.

The most natural thing to do would be to connect the two cables together.. but, just checking
a) is it the right thing to do?
b) why did neither the card nor the psu come with a regular pins-to-pins cable (without going through old IDE power connector)?
c) I connect both cables, right?

Also.. my heatsink (hyper 212 evo) rotates if I try to. Bad sign? Some other people seem to say it's normal, it just feels very wrong to me.

Last..! I am sure it depends on setup, but what kind of temperature should I expect a stress-tested 3770k run at (i.e. when should i start being worried)

Cheers guys.
PCI-E Power cables are 6 and 6+2 (two are removable) Pin connectors. The 8 pin connectors and 4+4 pin connectors are for CPUs.

You should not be able to rotate your heatsink, you need to tighten it.

Are you asking about temperatures for a stock 3770K? Too many factors that we would need to cover in order to accurately give you an idea. But, when overclocking, keep it below a 75C average temp.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wondering if anyone can comment on what I need to upgrade? I know the GPU is a given. I want to see how much I can get away with, but I don't mind selling this one in order to build a newer one.

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D - LGA775
PSU: Corsair 750w
CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Palit/Xpertvision 9600GT Sonic 1GB DDR3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair
HDD1: 1TB
HDD2: 500GB

On a side-note, my budget for a new build is currently £500 (highest I'll go on a GPU is £300). Any good suggestions, and whether I should go Intel/AMD and NVIDIA/ATI?

Intending to get at least two SSD's too, one for Windows and the other for games or video recording.

Also, what's a large, cheap PC case?

is the SSD budget separate from the £500?

you could always get one larger SSD (eg samsung 840 250GB) for the OS and several games, and reuse your existing HDDs for other games you don't play as often, and archived video

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KZr4

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.56 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card (£195.60 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £484.34

reuse PSU, case, HDDs and windows install

So I just realized the 2 monitors I sprung for don't have DisplayPort. HDMI only. Is that something I should care about, or does it only matter when running 120Hz?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ok I have everything up and running. Installed the CPU drivers and other things from the disc and the same for the GPU.

Just need to sort out the cables now and wait on some more led fans. I am having the problem of no HDD working. I'm going to hook it up to my MBP with a SATA/USB3 device and see if it works.

Once I get the HDD working how do I config it to work for Desktop files and keep the SSD for OS and Apps?

knitoe

Ok I have everything up and running. Installed the CPU drivers and other things from the disc and the same for the GPU.

Just need to sort out the cables now and wait on some more led fans. I am having the problem of no HDD working. I'm going to hook it up to my MBP with a SATA/USB3 device and see if it works.

Once I get the HDD working how do I config it to work for Desktop files and keep the SSD for OS and Apps?

For the HDD, you probably need to go into disk management and format the drive before it shows up under "My Computer" to be usable. Install the OS onto the SSD then when you install and/or save stuff change which drive, SSD or HDD, you want it on. Create an shortcut to the program / files if you need fast access from the desktop.

brentech

Downloading a bunch of drivers ahead of time. (SSD arrives today!)

As for my video card, it's the MSI nvidia 660/OC
Think I should stick with MSI's drivers since its factory overclocked, or should I do what I believe is the right answer and just use nvidia drivers from the get go?

Haven't dealt with higher level video cards before, so I want get that right.

Jzero

Downloading a bunch of drivers ahead of time. (SSD arrives today!)

As for my video card, it's the MSI nvidia 660/OC
Think I should stick with MSI's drivers since its factory overclocked, or should I do what I believe is the right answer and just use nvidia drivers from the get go?

Haven't dealt with higher level video cards before, so I want get that right.
Nvidia drivers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You should not be able to rotate your heatsink, you need to tighten it.

Are you asking about temperatures for a stock 3770K? Too many factors that we would need to cover in order to accurately give you an idea. But, when overclocking, keep it below a 75C average temp.
Being able to push around your heatsink lightly and have it rotate is not good, but applying a little bit of hand twisting is okay.
thermal performance after about 30 psi really falls off (ic diamond study).

How are AOC monitors? I'm specifically looking at the i2353fh and the i2367fh. I'm just planning on picking up a fairly cheap monitor and they look 'okay'.

Considering this
Not a fancy case
Will make sure PS is decent for low-middle range cards
Motherboard: MSI AM3+ DDR3 760GM-P23 SOCKET AM3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
AMD FX 8150 X8 3.6GHz or FX6200 X6 3.8GHZ
AMD Radeon 7770 1 GB DDR5 or AMD Radeon 7850 2 GB DDR5
1080p Monitor

Cost $750-$850.

I included the regular questions below. I have a PS3 and a WiiU. My main question is if those configurations can play Far Cry 3, Crysis 2 and 3, Arma 2, DayZ, AC3 with more than 30fps and solid IQ? I want to justify buying this system for the usual steam sales but also to guarantee a significant jump in graphics over Wii U and PS3. I know there is little know about next gen games, but based on what we know, is this build going to hold up. I could change my graphics card later for sure (in 1-2 years).

Budget: $800 + Costa Rica. I can order from several places in the USA, I have an address in the USA. Most things will cost 30-40% more after shipping costs. Please consider RMAs and returns are a pain as I have to ship them back. This is why I always buy the main components locally and bring the video card (100-200 USD)
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1, Video Editing 1, HD Streaming 1, 3D/Model work 1, General Usage 5 (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080p but I guess I could go 720p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want to play Far Cry 3 with quality and framerate that justifys the computer as I have a PS3. Also Crysis 2 and 3, Arma 2, 3 DayZ. Guess other games are less demanding, not interested in Guild Wars which is known to choke computers. Run my current library Ultra Portal 2, L4D2, HL2, CSS, CSGO.

Is 30FPS acceptable? Maybe 60? Yes 120? Not necessary. Will you use CUDA accelerated software? NO
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nop
When will you build?: This or next month
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks guys!! you are awesome!!

Double D

I want to buy a new video card. I'm going to buy Bioshock Infinte so I'm thinking I may as well take advantage of the deals out there. That said, I've always had Nvidia cards, so I'm a bit leary with going the Radeon route.

Anyways, my setup:

i5 2500k
8GB ram
GTX 465
Resolution: 1920 X 1200

Thinking of going with 7950 or 7970 (but open to other suggestions). Not sure if either of these will surpass my processor and cause it to bottleneck. I don't overclock anything.

Get a 2500K/3570K or i3 over what you have listed. See if one of the builds in the OP works with your budget.

They have the following builds with AMD and Intel. The number on the right is the score from below site.

I checked them against http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

All with the same builds
Not a fancy case
Will make sure PS is decent for low-middle range cards
Motherboard: MSI AM3+ DDR3 760GM-P23 SOCKET AM3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
AMD Radeon 7770 1 GB DDR5 or AMD Radeon 7850 2 GB DDR5
1080p Monitor

i7-3770 9472 $950
FX8150 7749 $850
FX8120 6657 $840
i5-3470 6640 $800
FX6200 6179 $760
i5-3330 5898 $776
FX4300 4760 $738
i3-3220 4283 $690

mkenyon

Banned
You should OC your processor to at least 4.0GHz. Likely won't require any bump in voltage, so it's free performance.

Both the 7970 and 7950 are great buys.
They have all builds with AMD and Intel. I checked them against http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

i7-3770 9472
FX8150 7749
FX8120 6657
i5-3470 6640
FX6200 6179
i5-3330 5898
FX4300 4760
i3-3220 4283
Passmark doesn't have much to do with gaming performance.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

You should OC your processor to at least 4.0GHz. Likely won't require any bump in voltage, so it's free performance.

Both the 7970 and 7950 are great buys.

Passmark doesn't have much to do with gaming performance.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

Thanks very informative, I know why everyone went Intel. I am coming from an 8 year hiatus in PC gaming.

So I will consider below builds, i7 is too much right now for me. If I pick up one of this can I upgrade the CPU to an i7 in the future?

i5-3470 $800
i5-3330 $776
i3-3220 $690

How does the i3-3220 stack up against the i5-3470 considering the $100 difference.

Also
i3-3220 with 7850 2GB DDR5
vs
i5-3470 with 7770 1GB DDR5

Sorry for so many questions.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Done some Benchmarks. Will tweak some stuff to try and improve scores.

Cinebench 64bit: CPU - 12.30
Cinebench 64bit: OpenGL - 57.81

Novebench: 2529

Geekbench 64bit - 23,777

Edit:
Hmm I just noticed in my Geekbench results the ram is at 834MHz but the sticks I got are 1866MHz.

I'll have to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom