• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ladies and Gentlemen of PC-GAF I present you my latest creation

vse9quq.jpg

Rru1aJJ.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Ladies and Gentlemen of PC-GAF I present you my latest creation

vse9quq.jpg

Rru1aJJ.jpg

That is beastly. I can't see the CPU, but is that a Hexacore?

I went back and forth on getting a second GTX 680 for SLI. I was considering getting the same model HD7970 and Cross Firing. Just because my 680 was a 2gb model, and I fear next gen games will start pushing past the 2gb limit (especially at higher resolutions).

I was also planning on getting that mobo w/ a new CPU. My current one is i5 2320, can't OC it. Anyways, that's a really nice build.

EDIT: Actually, looking at your parts - this is VERY close to what I was looking at upgrading to (what I had in my newegg cart). How has the jump been from HD to SSD (or were you already SSD)?

DietRob

I can't see the CPU, but is that a Hexacore?
i5 3570k

EDIT: Actually, looking at your parts - this is VERY close to what I was looking at upgrading to (what I had in my newegg cart). How has the jump been from HD to SSD (or were you already SSD)?

This is my first experience with an SSD. I already know that 128gb won't be enough I hope I can hold off until the prices fall a bit.. I NEED MOAR

Nakazato

Hey guys. I might have 400 extra dollars. I have already got a i3 2100 from a friend can anyone point me in the direction i should be taking?

Also will Haswell use a different mobo? Cause i plan on upgrading the i3 by the holidays if not sooner and i dont want to get a mobo that wont support newer chips

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I really want to make a "Post pictures of your computer" thread.

I know we already have a gaming setup thread, but I just want to look at pictures of computers all day.

scogoth

I really want to make a "Post pictures of your computer" thread.

I know we already have a gaming setup thread, but I just want to look at pictures of computers all day.

Race your PC thread is kind of dead anyways cause people only bench like once a year. We could have it be bench/pics thread

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Race your PC thread is kind of dead anyways cause people only bench like once a year. We could have it be bench/pics thread

I don't know anything about benchmarks.

Would anyone be interested in a thread like this? I know I would. They have always been how I learn about new peripherals and such.

Varg

Banned
Looking at the excellent build in the OP, am i good to go ps2 and dolphin emu wise? No problem running those bad boys? How about if i want to start streaming on lets say twitch. Would i need beefier components (more ram, I7 CPU) or am i still good with the I5 and 8Gbs with a gtx 670 or 7970?

So I got everything built. It's running super quiet and very very fast.

I'll post some pics of the build process here in a while. Real quick though there is something I need help with.

I have a Syncmaster p2570 Samsung Monitor that I'm using with my HD7950. Prior to this build I was using DVI to connect to the monitor. With this build I've got it connected via HDMI something I've noticed is on the left side of the monitor there is about an extra half inch that is not displaying anything, however, on the right hand side it goes over the screen about a half inch.

Now I have gone in and tried to adjust the orientation on the monitor itself however those options are grayed out. I can only adjust it to 4:3, 16:9, or 'screen fit'. When I select screen fit it cuts both sides off about 1/2 inch from the edge of the monitor.

What am I to do go back to DVI? Yes, I have the latest drivers for the 7950 (catalyst control) or whatever and installed the drivers for the Syncmaster monitor as well.

ps. Screen text is a little blurry as well.

I had this problem as well. The monitor is treating the HDMI signal as a tv signal instead of a PC signal. Which means its doing Overscan and sharpening. You have to set the Name of the HDMI Input to PC.

This should fix it:
1. With the remote you pull up the source list
2. Highlight HDMI
3. Press Tools
4. Select Edit Name
5. Set HDMI to PC
6. Curse Samsung for being Bass Ackwards

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looking at the excellent build in the OP, am i good to go ps2 and dolphin emu wise? No problem running those bad boys? How about if i want to start streaming on lets say twitch. Would i need beefier components (more ram, I7 CPU) or am i still good with the I5 and 8Gbs with a gtx 670 or 7970?
i5 and any graphics over $200. Dolphin is almost all CPU bound. Overclocking gives large benefits to Dolphin as well.

DietRob

I had this problem as well. The monitor is treating the HDMI signal as a tv signal instead of a PC signal. Which means its doing Overscan and sharpening. You have to set the Name of the HDMI Input to PC.

This should fix it:
1. With the remote you pull up the source list
2. Highlight HDMI
3. Press Tools
4. Select Edit Name
5. Set HDMI to PC
6. Curse Samsung for being Bass Ackwards

Thanks for the help here. But I don't think I have a remote for this monitor. You do mean a physical like a TV remote right? Or is this going over my head?

Pandemic

Eh, I honestly don't know how much to spend on a new gaming PC.. I have minimum $2000AUD, but now I'm thinking of spending $2500AUD..

How much is it for a PC that can play latest games on high/ultra settings?

HEHEHEHEHEheheeh hem... sorry

Yeah. I don't even know how long I spent trying to figure out what the fuck was wrong. In my defense, it's a goofy ass remote. Very top middle is a "Video" button, which I assumed was the "Source" button. Which, it is. But then there is an "RGB" button next to it which is like a second source button for different inputs. Goofy as shit.

mkenyon

Banned
Test fit new parts and put dinoc on. Some parts still show through dinoc so I may apply a second layer.
*drool*

Yeah. That's how you fix CSQ right there.
I don't need a lecture on cable management....
TOO LATE, ITS IN DA OP.
+1 for a PC pics thread. I'm almost done with my rig, so it'd be perfect timing
We can have our cake and eat it too right? Gotta make PC Gaming sexy again. Without the cold cathode tubes, UV paint, and dubstep. Some of my builds from the last couple of years:

Does anyone feel like it's a bad time to build a PC right now?

A lot of people seem to be building a PC for the first time, but I feel like a big reason is that this console cycle lasted so long and you can get a PC that can outperform the current consoles for under $1,000.

We won't know for sure how well the new consoles perform until they're out, but it's likely PC gaming is going to suddenly stop being such a value proposition, right? I could spend $1,200 on a PC right now and I'd be willing to bet that it would play something like Battlefield 4 pretty similarly to PS4/ 720. And then while games on those would look better and better as devs learn the ins and outs of the new hardware games on the PC would look worse and worse (or maybe just stay the same) as the hardware becomes increasingly unable to keep up new titles' demands.

I've been wanting to build a gaming PC for a loooong time and think I'm going to go for it next week. Most I can afford is an i5/ 660 ti setup and I'm debating between that and a more value-oriented i3/ 560 ti. I've been really excited but as I shop around for what case, mouse, and keyboard I want to get, I'm getting more and more worried that this fall the next-gen consoles are going to look as good or better than my PC for half the price.

I think I'm still going to go for it, Steam sales, the ability to upgrade, and better access to games I'm interested in (RTS, strategy, quirky indie stuff) will make it worth it in the long run. I guess I'm just wondering how well people who understand the tech think an i5/ 660 ti system will compare to the next-gen consoles, and if people think that high-end GPUs might get way cheaper when they come out when suddenly people have a ~$500 console to weight the purchase of a $500 GPU against.

OK, I have a question because I have never done this before.

I purchased a new larger harddrive to replace my current 500GB one. I was wondering what would be the best method to clone everything from one drive to the other without having reinstall Windows 7 and everything else all over again?

What would be the best software to do this with?

I still plan on keeping my older harddrive installed in this PC, but I am going to reformat it once I am done moving everything over, and use it as a dedicated Linux drive.

Another, shorter question:

What's the deal with Windows 7 vs. 8 for a gaming PC? I don't like the whole tile thing, but will some games eventually require 8? Is 7 more compatible with older titles? Are they pretty much the same with regards to gaming?

They seem to be the same price.

Kenka

I have been wondering that myself.
If I had to guess, I would say your GTX 560ti/AMD 6950 can last at least three years into next gen. Reason for that being that since not everyone has the cash to buy hardware, developers will try to keep their engines as scalable as possible to accomodate all the legacy hardware present in their installed base. The outcome being that the wealthy players will have way more eye candy on the long term than the second tiers. But that's almost secondary if the game proposes an engrossing experience regardless of its looks (Xenoblade is the poster child of such case).

commissar

I too am in the process of upgrading this year, and a bit concerned about the longevity of the i5/i7s.
What I'm doing is spending more on a quality case and PSU at the moment, as well as an upgrade to a 660Ti. I'm going to keeping the motherboard, RAM and CPU (C2D!) until Haswell comes out around June.

I'm most likely to upgrade the GPU at least twice before the CPU, so waiting for Haswell seems like a good idea....?

Also keen on a Yea or Nay for Windows 8. I have 7, but there's some sort of free Media Center key for Win8 Pro which expires in a few days :/

Isn't the main advantage of Haswell lower power consumption?

You guys make it sound like you are expecting a 100% performance boost.
Yeah, I was thinking more that current graphics cards would feel inadequate or overpriced after the new consoles are released, I would imagine an overclocked i5 should be an awesome CPU for a long time.

commissar

I thought Haswell was going to herald an Intel octo-core?
With consoles appearing to be 8 cores it seems to me that an octo-core CPU would allow for longer lifespan with respect to console ports, yeah?

I...haven't kept up that well with computing news, is haswell another tock?

*drool*
We can have our cake and eat it too right? Gotta make PC Gaming sexy again. Without the cold cathode tubes, UV paint, and dubstep. Some of my builds from the last couple of years:

gYahah.jpg

This was one of my favorite builds when I was researching mine. Nice work!

Momentary

Banned
I'm working on putting together a shopping list. Some parts will be bought as soon as I hit stateside on Feb 23rd and some in July. I'm holding off on the processor and accompanying items for it since Haswell is just around the corner. As for what I have listed as concrete items, a lot has to do with the theme of the case. mkenyon helped me out months ago when before I found out my deployment got extended. I'm glad that it did since the TITAN card got announced since I've been out here.

I'm trying to go without a fan controller, disc drive, and media drive.

CASE: Corsair Obsidian 900D $350.00
KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 $150.00
CPU: Haswell equivalent to the i7 3770K ~$350.00
MOTHERBOARD: Haswell e-ATX from ASUS or EVGA ~$300.00
GPU: 2 x TITAN from EVGA ~$1800.00
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200i $330.00 (sleeving:Mod/Smart Kobra High Density Cable Sleeving - Carbon Fiberl)
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB 1600Mhz ~$330.00 (with white light bars)
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro 256GB or 512GB $210-$500 (More than likely I'll go with 256... I can't see myself spending $500 on 512GB. Spending $210 on 256 is bad enough.)
HDD: 2 x 3TB hard drive ~$300.00
FANS: A few Corsair SP120s ~$120.00
CPU BLOCK: EK Haswell Block ~$120.00
GPU BLOCK: Ek Titan Block ~150.00
RESERVOIR: 2 x EK-MultiOption RES X3 250 $120.00
RADIATORS:2 x Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System 240 Radiator - Aluminum Fins - Single Circuit ~$320.00

As for water cooling I know that I'm going to need fittings, valves, and tubing. I'm thinking about just doing clear tubing with clear coolant. I looking to do a dual loop system.

I don't know about sound cards / network cards or if I should even worry about them with higher end motherboards. I know some boards come Wi-Fi ready, which is enough for me since I don't really do competitive play on PC... Only things I come close to playing competitively is Street Fighter, Tekken and Virtua Fighter. As for a monitor... I'm really holding out on 2560x1440@120hz. I know that there's the Overlord and Catleap monitors, but I'm not wanting to overclock them myself. I'm not sure how long they would last after that. Plus I want something a little more stylish/classy. I like the way that the Catleap Q720 looks, but I've read that the stand and casing is cheaply made.

Hobby

Your Current Specs: Intel E6300 / 2 GB DDR2 800mhz / Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 / Ati Radeon x1600 Pro / Antec 500 watt something or other / Aspire something
Budget: $450 to $550, US.
Main Use: Mostly general computing and gaming.

My computer is super old, as you can tell, plus the GPU was never that great to begin with and I never bothered to upgrade. I was mostly looking to just build the budget build in the OP, but now I'm kind of leaning towards something like:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+
GPU: ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560
Memory: G.SKILL NS 4GB
Case: Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
PSU: Antec VP-450 450W

Both the budget build and this are comparable in price and the only major difference is the CPU/motherboard. I feel like the AMD 965 might be a better choice long-term over the Intel G860, but I'm no expert.

Also, yeah, it's kind of an awkward time to be building a new computer, but I don't really mind.

I thought Haswell was going to herald an Intel octo-core?
With consoles appearing to be 8 cores it seems to me that an octo-core CPU would allow for longer lifespan with respect to console ports, yeah?

I...haven't kept up that well with computing news, is haswell another tock?
Well, I know almost nothing about computer tech, but i5s have 8 threads and are clocked much faster than the console CPUs, so I assume they'll be good for awhile at least.

Mulligan

Banned
Okay, so i've tried changing drivers to no avail. I'm getting constant 5FPS in Far Cry 3...
The weird thing is that i only built my PC last week and it's been fine up to now. I had Battlefield 3 running at 70-110 in multiplayer, Guild Wars 2 was running at 80FPS and Far Cry 3 running at 45-60 FPS. Now for some reason B3 is down to 40-55, GW2 down to 40-50 and Far Cry down to 5FPS.. i havn't changed anything between last week and now so i have no idea what's going on.

Can anyone help? My HIS 7970's performance has randomly gone to shit for no reason..

Addnan

This is cruel. I have everything but the cooler :(. Its out for delivery, but I don't know what is happening. Royal Mail are usually here by now.

bVo7Ykjl.jpg

Ty4on

This place has Haswell as being on LGA 1150. I'd really like to hold out for Haswell-E for DDR4. But I'm going to say screw it. I can't wait that long... and upgrading a board and cpu isn't too bad. But that new RAM might kill my pockets...

Mainstream CPUs will be on 1150. Pretty sure it's confirmed there won't be more than 4 core CPUs on 1150.

BioHazard

Hey guys, I have a question about a possible upgrade. Below is what I currently have and I am thinking about doubling my memory and upgrading to a 680. Does anyone know if I need to upgrade anything else or if I will I run into any problems with the rest of my existing hardware?

Motherboard: GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3
RAM: 8GB
Video: NVIDIA GTX 570
CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3

Thanks!

EDIT: also my case is a Cooler Master HAF 912, the card shouldn't have any problem fitting in there, right?

bro1

Banned
I'm running a stock cooler right now with 3570K and have my Corsair Vengeance RAM set to XPS speed and timings so I am at an effective speed of 3.8.

At idle, I average about 33 with one core always a bit hotter. Under load, the highest I've seen is 65 with one core hitting 68. Is this ok to run at? I know with a 212 it will run cooler but I mean for the next month or so until I get around to installing the 212?

GAF, how big is the performance jump between a 3770K and a Xeon processor? I'm doing a quasi-server build for media production, if you're wondering.

kennah

Both the budget build and this are comparable in price and the only major difference is the CPU/motherboard. I feel like the AMD 965 might be a better choice long-term over the Intel G860, but I'm no expert..
Nope.

The top end cpu for the budget board is miles ahead of the top end AMD cpu. If you get a z77 board and cheap Intel cpu you would later just be able to buy a discounted or used K series Intel and get a bigger leap in performance with only changing a single component than you could with the amd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom