• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

That looks pretty great right there... but wouldn't you recommend something around 800w for power supply with a card like that?

if you look at the link, its est 400W usage. And thermaltake PSU calculator comes in around 430W. Given its not exact, but neither are anywhere near 800W
granted, down the line if you want to get crazy and adding multi GPUs and other stuff, sure. but atm you're not even close

DagsJT

I have one installed in my case replacing the stock CM 212 EVO fan. It's incredibly quiet. Can't hear it from 1 foot away in my HAF 912 case. I also have 4 of the AF Quiet Editions and they are barely audible with the voltage step-down and connected to my fan controller. Great fans imo and they look nice :p

Cheers, I'll probably order them tomorrow.

fbgamer

Banned
if you look at the link, its est 400W usage. And thermaltake PSU calculator comes in around 430W. Given its not exact, but neither are anywhere near 800W
granted, down the line if you want to get crazy and adding multi GPUs and other stuff, sure. but atm you're not even close

Well the price and specs look great. I'm seriously considering this even though I wanted a pre-made one

mkenyon

Banned
I added an Arctic F12 PWM fan to the side of my case earlier, trying to combat the GTX 680 fan and quieten my PC in the process. The temps have dropped down 5c or so and the system kinda sounds quieter under load.

The problem I've got is that the F12 fan isn't exactly silent. It's not a whine as such, it's not as high pitched as that, but it's certainly noticeable on idle and already a bit irritating.

I was thinking of ordering some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans but notice that they're 3-pin so wont work with PWM. They do have a voltage step-down adaptor though, which I guess helps.

Anyone had experience with the SP120 Quiet's?
Just turn down the RPM in BIOS to an acceptable level.

SP120s are for heatsinks/radiators though. AF120s would be the case fans, and definitely run faster/louder than the F12s.

DagsJT

Just turn down the RPM in BIOS to an acceptable level.

SP120s are for heatsinks/radiators though. AF120s would be the case fans, and definitely run faster/louder than the F12s.

I've got them running quite slowly already, 519rpm at the moment, but there's just an annoying hum.

Didn't know that about the difference between SP and AF though. I actually got some AF120's with my Corsair 200r case but they're Performance editions. Without a fan controller or voltage plug, they spin at full speed and sound horrendous :/

Ty4on

I've got them running quite slowly already, 519rpm at the moment, but there's just an annoying hum.

Didn't know that about the difference between SP and AF though. I actually got some AF120's with my Corsair 200r case but they're Performance editions. Without a fan controller or voltage plug, they spin at full speed and sound horrendous :/

Sounds like it's not the fans, sub 1000RPM is pretty much dead silent inside a case for most fans.

DTKT

Is that your sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41US0XZg-GI&t=1m21s

I had a Cougar 120mm PWM for my Heatsink and it had a similar high pitched whine. Incredibly distracting. I bought a Noctua F12 and it's been dead silent so far.

mkenyon

Banned

are you *certain* that it's the fan? Sounds more like videocard.

Dave_6

So I bought a Sapphire 7970 from Newegg Saturday. Out of curiosity, how will they send the codes for the free games? Will a slip come with the GPU or will I receive an email(s) with the codes sometime this week?

Lmo911

So I bought a Sapphire 7970 from Newegg Saturday. Out of curiosity, how will they send the codes for the free games? Will a slip come with the GPU or will I receive an email(s) with the codes sometime this week?

I got an email with the game codes.

DagsJT

Argh!

It's the side fan in connection with the side panel of my Corsair 200R case. When disconnecting it, the PC sounds great. When I move the bottom of the fan away from the case, the hum disappears. As I move the bottom of the fan closer to the side panel, the "hum" comes back. I've tried different screws and that's not helped. I've tried them screwed in loosely, no different. If I screw them too tight, the screws actually go through the rubber and the fan is loose on the inside of the panel.

Looks like the problem might actually be with the design of the side panel of the 200R unfortunately :/

CPU - 3930K - $569
RAM - 16GB Dominator Plat 2666 - $340
Mobo - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - $440
PSU - Corsair AX860i $230
Storage - 2x840 Pro 512GB - $1050
GPU - 2x GTX Titans - $2000

Case - CaseLabs SMH10 - $600 w/ accessories
GPU Block - 2x EK Titan w/ backplates - $290
CPU Block - EK Supremacy Elite LGA 2011 - $121.99
Mobo Block - EK Rampage IV Extreme - $128
Rads - 480mm XT45, 2x 360mm XT45 - $265
Fittings - Various - $200
Pump - 2x Alphacool VPP655 - $280
Pump top - EK Dual D5 Pump Top - $90
Tubing - 15' Duralene - $20
Fans - 11x Noiseblocker eLoop - $300
Cables - Corsair AX860i Single Braided Cables - $100

Monitor - 3x ASUS VG248QE 144Hz - $900
Mouse - SteelSeries Sensei $80
Keyboard - Realforce 87U Tenkeyless - $250
External DAC - ASUS Xonar Essence One - $900
Headset - Sennheiser PC-363D - $300

Total - $9453.99

To go the extra mile, could throw in the whole Aquacomputer range of monitoring tools/sensors for around $800-1000.

*edit*
Added accessories

Two titans is a waste of money. Even if you have twenty million.

I have the 7950 version of that card and yup, it sure is quiet and cool! I love it

I'm RMA'ing my Vapor X 7950 (thing has been a nightmare since I got it) and am thinking about getting the Gigabyte card. What's your OC on it and temps?

My invoice had the coupon attached to it.

Anton668

I'm RMA'ing my Vapor X 7950 (thing has been a nightmare since I got it) and am thinking about getting the Gigabyte card. What's your OC on it and temps?

My invoice had the coupon attached to it.

1001/1350 60c(ish) under load

ETA: though for some reason, everything runs cept world of tanks with that. when I run Tanks i have to dial it back a bit

mkenyon

Banned
I wouldn't go above 2 way SLI ever. The decrease in frame latency doesn't make up for the one frame of input lag for each additional card. If the performance scaling was consistent, and you could maintain 5-8ms frame times with three, then it might be worth it. I have a feeling the type of person who would need three Titans to maintain a playable rate probably have frame times in the 16-33ms range, and that's just far too much input lag to add on top of everything else.

scogoth

Two titans is a waste of money. Even if you have twenty million.

As pointed out above, not if you are running three 144Hz displays.

I'd go with 4 x 690s. 8GPUs has to be better than 4GPUs AMIRITE!?

4 Titans is the way to go, to heck with these frame latency complaints. Be a man and build one of these
http://www.overclock.net/t/1372360/...an-portrait-surround-gloss-asus-vg248qe-build

EDIT: GOODIES! USB expansion, molex distibution board, cable management, shitty temp sensors that look cool and only work with extensive modification and now time to order more stuff because I ran out of USB header pins =(
sorry for crappy image, too lazy to retake it
8VXrU1c.jpg

also lol at imgur's new upload option, snail mail.

kennah

If I wasn't doing a SFF ITX build I probably would have gone MPower (partially because my history with MSI goes back ... 17 years)

mkenyon

Banned
Can't make a decision; ASRock Extreme 4 or the MSI MPower?
If you want to either:

A) Take pretty pictures of your PC and share them

B) Push hardware to the limits and tinker with all sorts of extra motherboard features that aren't necessary but are cool

Then MPower. If you just want a great running PC with good OC potential, the Extreme 4.

scogoth

<3 Vega. He's like the Sk3tch of OCN, which makes him 10x crazier.

*edit*

For those cable ties, check out these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Saddle_-_116_Cable_Clip_-_Black_C-C16-BN.html

Available in all sorts of colors, and a very elegant way to manage cables. Looks great on the MurderBox MkII.

I just got them for the 24 pin cable. i got black snap ones for everything else. I'm not using rivet ones though =), too much work to remove EVERYTHING to install the clips.

Dave_6

I had the same dilemma.

I chose the MPower and I love it. The build quality on it is great.

If you want to either:

A) Take pretty pictures of your PC and share them

B) Push hardware to the limits and tinker with all sorts of extra motherboard features that aren't necessary but are cool

Then MPower. If you just want a great running PC with good OC potential, the Extreme 4.

I've been leaning towards the MPower just because it looks so good. Not crazy about the brownish color of the Extreme 4.

mkenyon

Banned
MPower is so gorgeous. The color combination is professional while remaining striking. As I was building Mr Pocket's PC, I was feeling a big time urge to do an MPower/Lighting/MPower RAM build. I'm a sucker for aesthetics though, and am so screwed up in the head that I view a $200 motherboard as inexpensive.
I just got them for the 24 pin cable. i got black snap ones for everything else. I'm not using rivet ones though =), too much work to remove EVERYTHING to install the clips.
Maybe it's time.

Though I love my SM5, there's no way I'm going to avoid getting one of these eventually. Maybe on my next sponsored build, or if I win prize money @ PDXLAN.

scogoth

MPower is so gorgeous. The color combination is professional while remaining striking. As I was building Mr Pocket's PC, I was feeling a big time urge to do an MPower/Lighting/MPower RAM build. I'm a sucker for aesthetics though, and am so screwed up in the head that I view a $200 motherboard as inexpensive.

Maybe it's time.

Though I love my SM5, there's no way I'm going to avoid getting one of these eventually. Maybe on my next sponsored build, or if I win prize money @ PDXLAN.

Next time, waaaay next time. Like when 120Hz IPS comes out.

I was seconds literally from putting down $290 for their 7950 and now I read that. lol :/

Oh and hot new tech from newegg at http://www.newegg.com/hotnewtech !
April's fools if not obvious

Well I've been through like...6-7 replies from them and all I asked was can I set the max voltages to be lower than 1.25v (because that is ridiculous for 950 mhz/1250 mhz), and I still have not received a straight answer yet.

Edit: So I got a response when I posed the question again and:

2013-4-2 [05:56]

You are the second guy today that is asking me about this question today, normally people dont under clock their voltage, i suggest to leave it at default so you will have less complication if the card started to exhibiting issues.

just lol.

I wanted to find a solution but because Sapphire is giving me a hard ass time with answering my question, I'm just going to continue with the RMA

Sorral

Well I've been through like...6-7 replies from them and all I asked was can I set the max voltages to be lower than 1.25v (because that is ridiculous for 950 mhz/1250 mhz), and I still have not received a straight answer yet.

Ah. No luck finding the info. anywhere else? I think I would ask someone in the higher ups who might actually know.

Edit: lmao

The second guy...god this guy is too oblivious.

Ty4on

Argh!

It's the side fan in connection with the side panel of my Corsair 200R case. When disconnecting it, the PC sounds great. When I move the bottom of the fan away from the case, the hum disappears. As I move the bottom of the fan closer to the side panel, the "hum" comes back. I've tried different screws and that's not helped. I've tried them screwed in loosely, no different. If I screw them too tight, the screws actually go through the rubber and the fan is loose on the inside of the panel.

Looks like the problem might actually be with the design of the side panel of the 200R unfortunately :/

Dunno what Corsair fans come with, but my Noctua F12 came with rubber sticks to mount the fan. You could also get something to dampen the side panel, foam or rubber. Shouldn't be that hard to get something and cut it in fitting pieces and getting the sidepanel to fit. I don't dare think how much my case would hum without the foam at the bottom of the panels.

Ah. No luck finding the info. anywhere else? I think I would ask someone in the higher ups who might actually know.

Edit: lmao

The second guy...god this guy is too oblivious.

Well there's a 96 page thread on OCN with the title "7950 Vapor X Voltage locked?" So I'm gonna spend my evening reading through that :( lol

Sorral

Well there's a 96 page thread on OCN with the title "7950 Vapor X Voltage locked?" So I'm gonna spend my evening reading through that :( lol

Search function (if it works...) '1.25v' 'under' 'lower' etc. Probably down it to less than half the amount of pages!

Maybe soon I will join in and perhaps mess up my card.

Search function (if it works...) '1.25v' 'under' 'lower' etc. Probably down it to less than half the amount of pages!

Maybe soon I will join in and perhaps mess up my card.

Haha yeah that's what I plan on doing, it just makes me laugh that there's a 96 page thread on this specific card and whether or not its voltage locked.

I mean I heard the ones with the dual-x fans are pretty decent so I might look into that.

mkenyon

Banned

Edit: So I got a response when I posed the question again and:

just lol.

I wanted to find a solution but because Sapphire is giving me a hard ass time with answering my question, I'm just going to continue with the RMA
Out of curiosity, why would you want to lower voltage?

Sorral

Haha yeah that's what I plan on doing, it just makes me laugh that there's a 96 page thread on this specific card and whether or not its voltage locked.

I mean I heard the ones with the dual-x fans are pretty decent so I might look into that.

This one is unlocked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026
The one I am buying (2L. The one I linked is 3L) is voltage locked.

According to the newegg reviews on your card (vapor-x), it should be also locked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

It is true that these are reviews by people and could be wrong, but yeah. I have to head to my class now though. brb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom