• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Yeah any ideas would be great, just worried about going too extreme on my GPU while my CPU holds it back.

What CPU is it out of interest?

For £118.64 through an Amazon seller there is the KFA2 660 OC, they're usually around £165 or so

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009725WRI/

Yup, Akihabara is close. Actually that site you were helping me look for cards on has a big store in Akihabara. I'm going to go there, wander around, and see if I can find some deals.

Yeah I asked a guy on GAF who lives in Japan where he'd go to look for that stuff and he said these places http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52253169&postcount=14903

What CPU is it out of interest?

For £118.64 through an Amazon seller there is the KFA2 660 OC, they're usually around £165 or so

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009725WRI/

Yeah I asked a guy on GAF who lives in Japan where he'd go to look for that stuff and he said these places http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52253169&postcount=14903
Sweet, I'll take that advice. I actually bought all my PC parts from Yodobashi. That was before I lived near Akihabara. This'll be my first trip there for PC part shopping. I hope the rumors of it being a PC geek's paradise are true.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hi guys

If I win lotto this Thursday (20million), what is the dream setup right now and how much approx would it cost?

Here's my stab at it:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition - $1049.99
CPU + GPU cooling: custom water cooling - $900
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - $439.99
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 2400mhz DDR3 - $499.99
Videocards: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB x4 - $3999.96
Storage: SAMSUNG 840 Pro x4 - $1999.96
Storage: 4x Seagate Constellation 4TB 7200rpm 128mb cache - $1707.96
Power Supply: CORSAIR AX1200i - $339.99
Case: SilverStone Temjin Series TJ11B-W - $659.99
Case Paint: Smooth Creations - $700
Optical Drives: Pioneer BDR-2208 x2 - $169.98
SoundCard: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD - $149.99
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U3011 x3 = $4199.97
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional - $130
Mouse: Logitech MX 518 - $45
Speakers: Audioengine 5+ - $399.99

Total: $17,712.78

Is there a difference between bronze and gold rated PSUs? Like will i actually save money and have the PSU emit less heat if i got a gold one? Currently i have a Corsair GS600 and am planning on up grading to a Corsair HX750 (CF 7950 in the future). Is it worth it?

kharma45

Intel Dual Core 2.93 ghz.

Yeah I know :-(

Do you know the model?

Is there a difference between bronze and gold rated PSUs? Like will i actually save money and have the PSU emit less heat if i got a gold one? Currently i have a Corsair GS600 and am planning on up grading to a Corsair HX750 (CF 7950 in the future). Is it worth it?

They're usually better made, quieter, more efficient obviously.

The Corsair's generally aren't as price competitive as the Seasonic's they're based on, and XFX also use Seasonic designs and are good value.

When are you looking to CF? I wouldn't do it until at least June when AMD should have new drivers to fix it.

kennah

Here's my stab at it:

I was going to be cheeky and price out the top end Mac Pro but it came out to 1,000 less than what you built :(

kharma45

Intel PENTIUM DUAL CORE E6500 2.93GH SKT775 FSB1066 2MB

Look into overclocking that Pentium to eek some extra performance out and alleviate the bottleneck that it'll be for a new GPU. They same to be able to achieve very good clock speeds from a quick Google search, plenty of guides too. Amazon do the Hyper 212 Evo for £25 and it'd be a good fit for it.

The 660 at under £120 is a fantastic price, just depends on whether you feel comfortable with Amazon Marketplace. The sellers have excellent reviews if that helps.

They're usually better made, quieter, more efficient obviously.

The Corsair's generally aren't as price competitive as the Seasonic's they're based on, and XFX also use Seasonic designs and are good value.

When are you looking to CF? I wouldn't do it until at least June when AMD should have new drivers to fix it.

Apparently the HX series have the same components as the Seasonic X series so that's a good thing. And the HX750 is only 130 at MC. And I'm waiting to crossfire when the drivers are better since i heard CF is a nightmare right now.

kharma45

Apparently the HX series have the same components as the Seasonic X series so that's a good thing. And the HX750 is only 130 at MC. And I'm waiting to crossfire when the drivers are better since i heard CF is a nightmare right now.

Are you sure? I can't find anything about it being based on the X-Series and they don't share the same modular arrangement at the rear.

Edit - They're CWT made the not Seasonic. The 650w HX is Seasonic as are the AX series.

This XFX is cheaper after rebate and better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029, and it based on the Seasonic X series platform.

How are Cooler Master for PSUs? I found a 450W for about 5200yen, which is the best price I've seen so far from a company I've actually heard of.

Depends on which one, most are meh at best.

snack

Here's my stab at it:

I'm assuming this thing can play games from 3014. Amirite?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm assuming this thing can play games from 3014. Amirite?

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that psu can handle 4 titans...maybe I should have gone with the 1500 watt evga psu ($429.99). Oh well, it's not like someone's going to actually build it.

lmpaler

Not the speed in BIOS. Bios says 4.2 and I am getting 3.8 in CPUZ. I think I might not have things set up right in BIOS. It was working fine yesterday but then when I tried doing it manual (not using the OC Tuner) is when the problem started. I'm betting it's user error.

I used the OC guide from the link in the OP, I recommend that my friend.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi guys

If I win lotto this Thursday (20million), what is the dream setup right now and how much approx would it cost?

CPU - 3930K - $569
RAM - 16GB Dominator Plat 2666 - $340
Mobo - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - $440
PSU - Corsair AX860i $230
Storage - 2x840 Pro 512GB - $1050
GPU - 2x GTX Titans - $2000

Case - CaseLabs SMH10 - $600 w/ accessories
GPU Block - 2x EK Titan w/ backplates - $290
CPU Block - EK Supremacy Elite LGA 2011 - $121.99
Mobo Block - EK Rampage IV Extreme - $128
Rads - 480mm XT45, 2x 360mm XT45 - $265
Fittings - Various - $200
Pump - 2x Alphacool VPP655 - $280
Pump top - EK Dual D5 Pump Top - $90
Tubing - 15' Duralene - $20
Fans - 11x Noiseblocker eLoop - $300
Cables - Corsair AX860i Single Braided Cables - $100

Monitor - 3x ASUS VG248QE 144Hz - $900
Mouse - SteelSeries Sensei $80
Keyboard - Realforce 87U Tenkeyless - $250
External DAC - ASUS Xonar Essence One - $900
Headset - Sennheiser PC-363D - $300

Total - $9453.99

To go the extra mile, could throw in the whole Aquacomputer range of monitoring tools/sensors for around $800-1000.

*edit*
Added accessories

fbgamer

Banned
Guys, I need some help here.

I want to get into PC gaming, but I've never built my own PC before and it's quite daunting to start from scratch so I've decided to buy a pre-made "gaming PC" and upgrade from there if need be.

Can someone please recommend me a gaming pc that I can buy online with really good specs that I can play any game on without worrying about performance issues. I've been looking at this PC on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IS5N4O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

would that be a good start?

I work two jobs so building a PC would be too time consuming and stressful for me. Ill have to worry about if the packages make it on time and without getting stolen while I'm not home and all that jazz...so I would really prefer to just get a pre-made one that's easy to upgrade when the time comes.

I want to get into PC gaming, but I've never built my own PC before and it's quite daunting to start from scratch so I've decided to buy a pre-made "gaming PC" and upgrade from there if need be.

Can someone please recommend me a gaming pc that I can buy online with really good specs that I can play any game on without worrying about performance issues. I've been looking at this PC on amazon:

I work two jobs so building a PC would be too time consuming and stressful for me. Ill have to worry about if the packages make it on time and without getting stolen while I'm not home and all that jazz...so I would really prefer to just get a pre-made one that's easy to upgrade when the time comes.

It looks decent, but as you'd expect it's very overpriced. I'm sure someone here might find you a better option.

Is that a reference 670? If that's the case i wouldn't buy it just for that

kharma45

I'm looking to upgrade my GTX 460 1GB to an EVGA GTX 660 2GB card...would this be a worthwhile upgrade? I'm also planning on getting a new monitor that does 1080p, my currently monitor only goes to 1680x1050.

My specs are:

i7 2600k 3.4 GHZ
8 GB of DDR3
EVGA GTX460
120GB SSD

For reference, this is what i was looking to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00966IREK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd go for the Gigabyte instead http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00942TK8I/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or the 3GB MSI TF3 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094CX8QI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Both are better coolers.

Also, OC that 2600K if you've a good cooler. If not, buy a Hyper 212 and do so if you've a motherboard that supports it.

kharma45

I don't really want to cheapen out on the PSU. I guess I'll just go for that Seasonic. It seems to be the best bang for the buck anyway. It'll also be one less thing I'll have to replace whenever I build a better PC.

For the price I can't see anything that beats it unless you want to spend more.

DagsJT

I added an Arctic F12 PWM fan to the side of my case earlier, trying to combat the GTX 680 fan and quieten my PC in the process. The temps have dropped down 5c or so and the system kinda sounds quieter under load.

The problem I've got is that the F12 fan isn't exactly silent. It's not a whine as such, it's not as high pitched as that, but it's certainly noticeable on idle and already a bit irritating.

I was thinking of ordering some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans but notice that they're 3-pin so wont work with PWM. They do have a voltage step-down adaptor though, which I guess helps.

Anyone had experience with the SP120 Quiet's?

kennah

yippie, got my Intel beanie in the mail from buying my 3770K... it looks silly. Link

or even the Chicagoland/NW Indiana area....

We really need to put together a "This GAFFER will build your computer for you" list.

Reposted from the BST Thread

WTS

ASUS GTX Titan

$970 shipped within US. I accept paypal - must have feedback here or on Heat.

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=69330

Pic of card

Ykm.png

Anton668

We really need to put together a "This GAFFER will build your computer for you" list.

I had mentioned adding that to the OP before. A list of Gaffers and the area they cover

Gahh!! why does newegg keep sending me account only coupons when I has no moneys!!!!
could really use some better case fans and an evo....

fbgamer

Banned
But seriously why not for the 670? I heard nothing but good things...

I had this guy at work help me with picking parts to building a good computer, it came up to around 1600 and had a 660 in it....

This is around the same price with a better chip.

Then again I'm an idiot and a PC noob....

fbgamer

Banned
Any chance you are located in the Pac NW?

Otherwise, check out the Alienware X51.

If you want something with a bit more power, then use the OP to build something at Maingear or Origin.

I'm in Chicago

I've heard nothing but bad things about Alienware... people are always hating on it.

HoosTrax

We actually have Alienware systems at work for doing our GPU processing work, including a set of X51s. The reason they get "hated on" by enthusiasts is the same reason all prebuilt systems get hated on -- we can build our own for cheaper. At work though, you have things like warranty/support, plus the labor cost of putting together hardware ourselves to consider.

kennah

I'm in Chicago

I've heard nothing but bad things about Alienware... people are always hating on it.

Hey Chicago! Anton can build you your computer!

And yeah, what he said about the hate on for AlienWare. The X51 is solid. Everything else.... well, it's up for debate.

The reason people are saying no to the Reference 670 is that it is loud and there are better options out there for the money.

GatorFan

Banned
I was thinking of ordering some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans but notice that they're 3-pin so wont work with PWM. They do have a voltage step-down adaptor though, which I guess helps.

Anyone had experience with the SP120 Quiet's?

I have one installed in my case replacing the stock CM 212 EVO fan. It's incredibly quiet. Can't hear it from 1 foot away in my HAF 912 case. I also have 4 of the AF Quiet Editions and they are barely audible with the voltage step-down and connected to my fan controller. Great fans imo and they look nice :p

Anton668

You got a link to a better offer then? lol

For $1600 I'd want to know the name of every part in that thing. Who makes the MB, PSU, etc, what is water cooled and with what. Too many questions need to be answered for me to drop $1600 sight unseen
and do you really need 16Gb ram? Could get by with a smaller PSU. that case is ugly, and so on...

fbgamer

Banned
Anton, check your PM I'll send you my email so you can look up my Wish List on amazon.com
That list has all the custom parts I was recommended

Anton668

Do I work with you? lmao I have a co-worker named Anton... you a Q/A tester?

The reason I asked is because he insisted on building me a PC last week...

lol, not me, but props to the Antons in the world!!

If he will do it for nothing/next to nothing, we'll throw together a parts list for him to work with

ETA: i'll go look...

fbgamer

Banned
lol, not me, but props to the Antons in the world!!

If he will do it for nothing/next to nothing, we'll throw together a parts list for him to work with

ETA: i'll go look...

Send me better recommendations if you have any, or let me know if it would be better to get this alienware x51 or another pre-made PC (which I would prefer for time's sake and less stress for making sure each package arrives to my place safely without getting stolen if I'm not home to receive it)

Anton668

lets see what we got...

Amazon Parts List

NZXT Guardian Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Case 921RB-BL - $69.99

ASUS(PCE-N15) Wireless-N Network Adapter with PCI-E interface - $26.71

Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified TX850 - $139.99

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) - $93.59

Samsung 24x SATA DVD±RW Internal Optical Drives, Black SH-224BB/RSBS - $21.99

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 - $128.55

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD - $70.26

Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler - $63.24

EVGA X79 FTW (LGA2011) - $259.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 - $308.18

Intel Core i7-3820 3.6 GHz LGA 2011 - $297.28

looking at this list and the other PC you linked, budget it not a concern?

cuz just quickly I threw a bunch of stuff together and came up with this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NImD trying to get it near the other PC you linked

You got a link to a better offer then? lol

I'm on my phone so I'm too lazy to link. But the GTX 670 is a great card don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't get a reference (i.e. made by nvidia) unless you're water cooling. Get a 670 thats made by another company as they have their own custom cooler on it for better cooling and sound. Look for any one by MSI, Gigabyte or ASUS 670.

fbgamer

Banned
lets see what we got...

looking at this list and the other PC you linked, budget it not a concern?

Well, I'm willing to spend around 1500 for an amazing PC but if I can get the same thing for less that would be awesome. Custom or pre-made (would prefer a pre-made PC that is easily upgradable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom