• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the same guide and got similar results (lower temps though, around 60ish). I just followed the guide, kept going until I was hitting 80c with prime and reached 4.6ghz. I guess if you don't need it, you should be fine with 4.2. I generally use pcsx2 and dolphin so I try to get the mosy hz possible

I'm mostly using it to game (not emulators), so maybe the GPU overclock would be more useful?

Am slightly concerned about the temps though, I may have not applied the thermal paste correctly.

Anandtech Obsidian 900D review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6900/corsair-obsidian-900d-case-review-think-big-thats-only-half-as-large

It is huge, it looks so empty with a "standard" air cooled setup installed:

Small%20(3%20of%208).jpg

snack

I was looking at the best overall build on the first post of this thread and it recommended Corsair Vengeance ram.

Would this be fine then?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

mkenyon

Banned
Guys I have a question about headsets. Will you get good sound by connecting a headset to the headset port on your PC or do you need a separate amplifier?
Yes, but it gets better with a proper sound card, or external DAC/Amp.
What about the Sandy Bridge procs? Core i5 2500k and i7 2600k specifically, do they have the same issue with the heat wall?
That can be worth it if you want to try and push your proc to the 4.8-5.0 range. They do not suffer from the heat wall issue.
Lol I'm going troll you everytime you recommend somebody delids!
I thought Texans were supposed to be the opposite of little bitches?
What's a good asking price for a GTX 680 FTW 4GB?
$450 or so?

mkenyon

Banned
I totally would if the rest of my computers weren't in storage right now. Srs.

If my bench were to go down (not worried about monetary loss), then I wouldn't be able to work from home anymore :(

scogoth

I think you should just build custom computers for a living then you could always work from home. I guess I have to wait till summer for gaf grey build

mkenyon

Banned
#nostalgia - Funny 3DFX ad:

hxRcUxh.jpg

How the times have changed.

Not all of us have adderall available for performance enhancement
How else am I supposed to keep up in Warsow and Dota with college kids!?!??!?!?

Oh... the Seahawks.... right...

:p
I think you should just build custom computers for a living then you could always work from home. I guess I have to wait till summer for gaf grey build
It doesn't pay as well.

Fortunately, I have a friend who has been kind enough to let me use their garage for my project over the next month or so.

Smokey

:( I just wasn't sure if the OS version would be any better than the BIOS setup.

I wasn't trying to be a ass I just immediately thought of that guy at the table since he always starts off with 'what's better' or 'is it better' lol

But yeah use bios. The software version will work but it often does too much (voltage for example)

Yea, sorry, I got caught up in researching something on my car and then went to bed. I 'think' I found another guide you to at least view. It's best to read it over first, to get at least a basic idea of what they are doing, then try to change things.

Haz has mentioned all the basic solutions to the problems you're having. Such as sleep being related to C states. Usually under a section in the bios related to CPU advanced power settings. Most boards show C1E, C3, C6, and 'Package C State Support'. All with enable/disable as options.
As for your RAM, the package or the RAM sticks themselves should have the voltage they use and the some numbers generally listed like X/X/X/X (commonly 9/9/9/24). Or you can look up the specs online and see them listed the same way. On the motherboard this usually shows up in DRAM Configuration. You definitely want the voltage to be correct, instead of just using auto, since this is overclocked RAM. Voltage and the 4 other settings will probably determine whether or not you reach the 2400mhz.

Thread below is for your board, but I don't have an ASUS account to download the images or PDF where someone made a guide for it:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9247-BIOS-Screensots-of-Stable-4.6-Overclock-P9X79-Pro

The guide for ASRock boards, which I have, does a decent job of breaking down what some of the settings mean, which may be of help. I'd give it a read through.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/...-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

For starters, I would default all your changes in BIOS, make sure it runs, then make changes to your RAM voltage and DRAM settings to the specifications that your RAM states. If you can't get 2400 with those all correct, just go down to the 1866, but try to get all the settings spot on first.

RAM questions - RAM is a complicated beast, you may have to change timings, voltage, frequency, memory controller voltage or live with 1866. Just because its rated for 2400 doesn't actually mean it will achieve that in every setup. It's not really an issue because unless you are trying to achieve a world record superpi score than the difference between 1866 and 2400 is pretty much nothing.

Debug LEDs- your 100% sure they aren't listed in the manual?

Sleep stuff - You have to disable the c states in the advanced power menu. Disable C3 and C6 at least and C1E if you don't care at all about power saving. You can also disable speedstep for more stability at the cost of power saving

Leave PLL at auto unless you are doing some very high BLCK frequencies.

Unfortunately X79 overclocking is just a lot more complicated than Z77. Some patience and lots of reading will help you learn more about computers and overclocking then you thought possible. I went through the same thing with X58.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try this stuff when I get home. I assume these are the numbers I'll need?

I see 2 voltages there. Voltage (1.65V) and SPD Voltage (1.5v). In my BIOS, I see about 100 different options related to DRAM Voltages

DRAM Voltage (CHA, CHB)
DRAM Voltage (CHC, CHD)

VTTDDR Voltage (CHA, CHB)
VTTDDR Voltage (CHC, CHD)

DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA
DRAM Read REF Voltage on CHA

etc for CHB, C, D

Looking at the valid ranges, both the Voltage and the SPD Voltage fall outside the range of what is allowed in the BIOS for the VTTDDR Voltage, and any of the DRAM XXX REF Voltages. So I assume that the only option I should be concerned with is the DRAM Voltage. But does that correspond to "Voltage" or "SPD Voltage"? And should I simply ignore the other? And for all the VTTDDR voltages and DRAM XXX REF voltages, should I just set them all to auto?

There's a few other DRAM related settings that I don't totally understand but seem related.

DRAM Current Capability: [100%, 110%, 120%, 130%] - Setting a higher value brings a wider total power range and extends the overclocking frequency range simultaneously.

DRAM Voltage Frequency: [Auto, manual] - This item allows you to adjust the DRAM switching frequency. Assign a fixed high DRAM frequency to increase O.C range or a lower DRAM frequency for better system stability.

DRAM Power Phase Control: [Optimized, Extreme] - Allows you to set ASUS optimized phase tuning profile or Full phase mode.

Should I touch any of these?

mkenyon

Banned
No, that's pretty much only for folks who are OC'ing the crap out of their memory.

Generally, with RAM, just change the settings of the RAM to what is listed on your RAM specifications.

brentech

Your board does sound a bit confusing. I imagine those are for further tweaking, which I wouldn't bother with.

I'd only change the DRAM Voltage and latency stuff.
From the page you linked:

Tested Voltage 1.65V
Tested Latency 10-12-12-31 2N

Is all I'd concern myself with at the moment. Making sure they have the right power and correct latency settings. See where that takes you.

I ordered a motherboard speaker for no reason other than being able to hear beeps for motherboards if anything every goes wrong. I have LED's on my current mobo that are supposed to light up near the offender(memory,cpu,gpu)

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody has a good suggestions for a Motherboard and CPU combo on AMD side?

I know I should go on Intel side (and I am) but I'm building machines for work and we need both sides of the coins for our tests. I know next to nothing in modern AMD stuff since I've been on Intel side at home for so long.

mkenyon

Banned
Anybody has a good suggestions for a Motherboard and CPU combo on AMD side?

I know I should go on Intel side (and I am) but I'm building machines for work and we need both sides of the coins for our tests. I know next to nothing in modern AMD stuff since I've been on Intel side at home for so long.
Gimmie a bit more info as to the purpose of the build, and I can give some ideas of where to look.

Willectro

Banned
I bought a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD yesterday. I plan on building a new rig in a month or 2 (waiting on work bonus), but I decided to grab the drive early. What a great upgrade coming from a WD 7200rpm HDD. Everything is instant.

bro1

Banned
I'm having an issue with GTX 670/I5 3570K right now. In Heven I am scoring 40FPS which is low and I've had some weird graphical glitches on rollovers on some web pages.

I checked my score on 3DMark and I'm ok (3020) and in Valley my score seems fine. I ran EVGA Precision OC to scan for artifacts for 30 minutes and nothing wrong was found. Any suggestions?

When are the next batch of GPU's supposed to hit the market?

I've had my 144hz monitor for a week now and I am quickly becoming addicted to the smoothness. I'm thinking of upgrading in the fall to the official 7990 but I've heard to stay away from dual GPU cards if you want smoothness.

Bascailly, in the fall i want to add another 144hz monitor and upgrade my GPU

I have a 3570K / 7870 XT right now

Which would be best upgrade to support buttery smooth goodness on a dual 144hz setup?

Official 7990 in the fall (the one running BF4 demo)
7970 Ghz ed
Titan (depending on how expensive 7990 is)

or just wait for the new stuff to hit depending on when that is.

brentech

When are the next batch of GPU's supposed to hit the market?

I've had my 144hz monitor for a week now and I am quickly becoming addicted to the smoothness. I'm thinking of upgrading in the fall to the official 7990 but I've heard to stay away from dual GPU cards if you want smoothness.

Bascailly, in the fall i want to add another 144hz monitor and upgrade my GPU

I have a 3570K / 7870 XT right now

Which would be best upgrade to support buttery smooth goodness on a dual 144hz setup?

Official 7990 in the fall (the one running BF4 demo)
7970 Ghz ed
Titan (depending on how expensive 7990 is)

or just wait for the new stuff to hit depending on when that is.
The new stuff is sketchy right now. Possibly Q3/Q4 I think was original news, now there has been whispers of not releasing this year because it puts the Titan in a weird place. Gotta wait for an official announcement at this point.

Best article I can find right now on Nvidia's circumstances:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/no-nvid...e-march-2013-maxwell-only-in-2014-/17073.html

Either way, it's a guess and a crapshoot.

mkenyon

Banned
https://www.asus.com/ROG/ROG_Xonar_Phoebus/#support_Download_30

Probably in the manual there. I'm not too knowledgeable about sound stuff, but that seems like a good place to start.

*edit*

Yeah, page 16 indicates that such cables exist. I think you are on the right track, you just need to find the specific cables. I'll do some googling.

*edit 2*

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z5CP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LC5VY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LTZFI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LFN2C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hellish

lol @ edit fest

Yeah, the manual says on page 16 that's how it works.

Yea thanks, big edit fest, not sure if you saw when I deleted most of the massive post and put "edit in progr" in case anyone already saw it. It sucks that it doesnt come with the cables.

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help...trying to overclock my Club 7870 XT graphics card and I'm having no joy whatsoever. I've read up on multiple guides and can overclock the memory just fine, but the core clock refuses to budge at all. I can move it, but GPU-Z reports no difference (stuck at 925 during 100% load) and I don't see any better figures from Furmark's benchmark (which suggests GPU-Z is correct). Even a 5Mhz increase doesn't register.

And the card is supposed to 'boost' to 975, which it isn't.

Has anyone come across this before? Very frustrating!

I_D

First thing, run memtest to test your ram. Everything at stock specs, CPU, RAM, GPU and etc? Are the lockups random or does it happens more often while doing intensive stuff, like gaming, benchmarkings and etc?

It happens at any time. Everything is running stock.

I ran Memtest (8 cases of it, 16 gigs of RAM) and walked away, and the computer shut down some time during the process. Presumably, it froze beforehand.

When I turned it back on, it said it was recovering from a bluescreen error, but did not find any solutions.

I'm going to try one stick of RAM at a time and see what happens.

EDIT:
I don't want to speak too quickly, but I think I got it.
The RAM appears to be just fine, but it was the wireless card that was causing the freezes. I'm going wired at the moment with both sticks in, and it's running just fine.

I'll report back if anything goes amiss.

JB1981

Just want to thank Mckenyon for the powerline adapter recommendation. Easiest thing to set up ever, and my speeds are noticeably better.

Hellish

What motherboard are you switching to?

Well right now I have a Maximus V Gene + Rampage IV Extreme as I have 2 computers. I am selling off most of the stuff minus what I need and going to go with the 350D + Rampage Gene IV + 3930k until IVY-E comes out then switch to 4930k? and Rampage V Gene.

Hellish

Nice choice. Doing a build with that myself right now, it's a nice board. Using the SM5 though.

I just have 1 last problem now. I want to place the case on the other side of the wall but the KB+M usb cables are probably 1-2ft to short so I want to use something like this coming out of the case (ill probably cut a hole in the back panel), instead of a USB Extender.

W000-00-000085_MD_1.jpg

but with longer cables if something exists and mount this inside the wall, do you or anyone in this thread know of one or if it would be relatively easy to re cable one myself, I have cut ethernet cables(to shorten) and power cables(to extend) and dont think this could be that much different.

After all that it looks like the 350D has 5 slots, so I do not even have to worry about it.

900x900px-LL-1ae939e3_350D_fans.png

The disappointing thing about that picture is it looks like the top vent is unfiltered. That and only 2 hard drive spots kill it for me. I hate it when something is so close to being exactly what I want.

mkenyon

Banned
It's different in that you need to extend each of the wires that goes to the USB header and be sure that they are oriented properly.
The disappointing thing about that picture is it looks like the top vent is unfiltered. That and only 2 hard drive spots kill it for me. I hate it when something is so close to being exactly what I want.
Why would you want a filtered exhaust?

Hellish

For me that is no problem so I am good to go, It will be exhaust out of the top so no filter is needed, and presently I have a 480GB Intel 520 and a 2TB Caviar Black. It looks like there is a lot of space in the front for my hard drives where you could easily add more cages though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom