• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedIC86

So I was thinking, two of the bigger benefits of Haswell is the building graphics and power usage, right?

If I'm planning on using a discrete GPU anyway, does it make sense to wait for Haswell?

There are rumours going around that the overclock-ability will be a lot better due to some changes, but we will have to wait for the official reviews. But imo, its only 2.5 weeks away, just wait it out. If you dont like what you see you can always get an ivy-bridge (also a benefit is that you get a new socket, instead of an old one)

So I was thinking, two of the bigger benefits of Haswell is the building graphics and power usage, right?

If I'm planning on using a discrete GPU anyway, does it make sense to wait for Haswell?

We are most likely less than a month away from Haswell being released. I'd wait if I were you. Some early reviews have shown a small percentage cpu performance increase over Ivy Bridge. If you must get it now though, Haswell doesn't look to blow away Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge for that matter in pure CPU performance, so you shouldn't regret not having the latest and greatest that much.

kharma45

I've decided to check my thirst for immediate gratification at the door and instead settle for upgrading my meager desktop to its best CPU/GPU capacity. Don't want to touch anything else since that's a pretty slippery slope. I'd like to save some cash and hang on to this for a few more years before I dig into a major from-scratch new rig later on.

Right now I'm sporting an Inspiron 530 tower. The guy I bought it from did some small upgrades so not all the internals are OEM.

-Current Setup-

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2GHz
GPU: Sapphire HD 4850 1GB
MOBO: Foxconn G33M02
PSU: Cooler Master 460
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB DDR2 800 - Max for the mobo)
Optical drive and HDD are OEM--no idea what brand, but they'll suffice.

It's pretty clear to me that the 2GHz is my most significant bottleneck. The fastest CPU my mobo can handle is a C2D E8600 3.33GHz. It's a bit pricey, so I might settle for a E8400 3GHz if that's not too big of a power hit.

As far as GPU, I've been all over tomshardware and can't seem to come to a consensus. I keep hearing that the 7750 is a good fit--I'm looking at the Sapphire 2GB model. But is that overkill for a E8600/E8400?

Ideally I'd like to beef this up to run, say, Skyrim or Blops 2 on high-ish @ 30+ fps... would also love to run Dolphin and PCSX2 decently. I know no setup will be ideal with that old mobo, but I'm trying to find the PSU/GPU combo that will get me the closest without upgrading case, PSU, mobo, etc...

Cheers for any insight

For a 7750 just go 1GB, it doesn't have the power really to make use of 2GB. It'll just about be ok with that CPU.

1. Checks as in what exactly for the i5? If you're overclocking temperatures are what you'll want to keep an eye on. By running something like Intel Burn Test you'll find out if your OC is stable, and something like Core Temp to see what the CPU is doing. Under a test like that you'll not want to take it more than 80 degrees. If it's hitting say 82 you'll probably still be OK as your CPU will never be put under that sort of strain for the most part.

2 and 3. How soon is soon? Haswell is out ~June 4th if I remember right. If you're in no rush at this stage you might as well wait to get the latest socket. If you're already waiting for the 700 series yeah wait for Haswell. In terms of picking out a mobo there'll be a whole new range coming out on the 1150 socket. The ones you'd want to be looking at are the Z87 (or Z85 if they launch any) variants as they'll allow you to overclock. The motherboards you can buy at the minute are not compatible with Haswell.

4. Brands are all much of a muchness. G.Skill stuff is fine, as is most RAM. Just get what is best value and low profile.

1. Oh sorry, I meant what checks do I need to do to make sure the components of a new build are compatible with each other. Though I was planning to ask for tips on CPU OCing, so thanks for that too :)

2/3. We already picked out a few parts but I don't have the list on me, otherwise I would've posted them now. So far I know we're already going to change the motherboard since I'm going to push to wait for the Haswell, which will mean changing the mobo. I'm assuming the Haswell-compatible mobos are coming out right about now?

4. Thanks, I'll look out for that :)

And again, thanks for the help!

BrianD

Neo Member
I've been looking but cant seem to find a mechanical keyboard with a fully customisable lighting scheme e.g. maybe today I want xyz illuminated, tomorrow I'd want some other keys illuminated. The Steelseries Apex is sort of what I'm looking for but the illumination isnt finely controlled enough (and its not a mechanical keyboard). Anyone seem anything like this out there?
The new Corsair K70 (or the new K95) might be what you are looking for I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBplgpok8ro&t=120

lordy88

Hey guys,

PC just crapped out so I'm off to build a new computer. Just whipped up this potential build (I have 8GB ram and a DVD player already, and I need the firewire card for Pro Tools).

I'm looking to use it to dabble with Pro Tools and do a decent amount of gaming. How do I look?

TIs9G34.jpg

8JlZ4A1.jpg

dFSQX4j.jpg

Total comes to about $850.

Is it safe to pull the trigger? Should I make any adjustments?

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys,

PC just crapped out so I'm off to build a new computer. Just whipped up this potential build (I have 8GB ram and a DVD player already, and I need the firewire card for Pro Tools).

I'm looking to use it to dabble with Pro Tools and do a decent amount of gaming. How do I look?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: NVM, missed the SSD.

Addnan

Hey guys,

Thanks for any help!
I would change PSU to BP550 and if you can wait 2 weeks get Haswell!

zoku88

Oh. It doesn't have to be 120hz. I just need an IPS monitor that would be good for gaming too since it will be the primary monitor. The IPS monitor I have now is used for the secondary where I usually leave streams on while I do business, gaming or surfing on my primary.

Some (or a lot) IPS monitors have a "game" mode that looks kinda crappy (IMO), but reduces processing times (thus, total lag time.)

Here is the review for the Dell 2413

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm

Near the bottom, there's always lag calculations for the tftcentral reviews.

EDIT: If you don't care about viewing angles that much, you could go for a VA panel. I have the BenQ FP241VW and love it. They usually have worse color than IPS panels, I believe, but the contrast is usually much superior, I think. A least for the modern day ones.

BrianD

Neo Member
Oh. It doesn't have to be 120hz. I just need an IPS monitor that would be good for gaming too since it will be the primary monitor. The IPS monitor I have now is used for the secondary where I usually leave streams on while I do business, gaming or surfing on my primary.
I would suggest you to have a look at the Eizo Foris FS2333.
It's only 23" (1080p) though.

Anton668

I went with the cx600 for the extra 50w and $10 cheaper price. Any specific reason why I should go with the Antec instead?

the CX series are mediocre psu's. not horribly bad mind you, just... meh. for $10 i'd rather get a much better quality PSU. I have the CX500 and really wish i'd have went another route.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I went with the cx600 for the extra 50w and $10 cheaper price. Any specific reason why I should go with the Antec instead?
BP550 is modular, a tiny bit more, and although the CX-line has been getting better I'm still not 100% sold on it.

Also wait 2 weeks for Haswell, you are buying a dead socket now.

lordy88

the CX series are mediocre psu's. not horribly bad mind you, just... meh. for $10 i'd rather get a much better quality PSU. I have the CX500 and really wish i'd have went another route.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely get the Antec then.

Am I looking good otherwise?

Also wait 2 weeks for Haswell, you are buying a dead socket now.

I'm not sure what 'a dead socket' is, nor what Haswell is.

EDIT: Just looked up Haswell. Sounds good. I guess I'll wait just a bit longer and work on my laptop :-/. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Smokey

Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely get the Antec then.

Am I looking good otherwise?

I'm not sure what 'a dead socket' is, nor what Haswell is.

EDIT: Just looked up Haswell. Sounds good. I guess I'll wait just a bit longer and work on my laptop :-/. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Dead socket = a newer socket will be replacing it and future CPUs will be not be compatible. So if you bought that motherboard and down the line wanted to buy a newer CPU, it would not work.

lordy88

Dead socket = a newer socket will be replacing it and future CPUs will be not be compatible. So if you bought that motherboard and down the line wanted to buy a newer CPU, it would not work.

Thanks!

If I understand that correctly, it means that any previous motherboard I purchase would be rendered obsolete, as no more processors would be made that would fit into that socket, (i.e. a dead socket). Correct?

So if I purchase the build I have now, I wouldn't be able to update it to the Haswell. Is the Haswell that much better?

Carlisle

For a 7750 just go 1GB, it doesn't have the power really to make use of 2GB. It'll just about be ok with that CPU.

Thanks for that!

When you say "that CPU" you mean the E8600 I'm upgrading to and not the E4400, yeah? Snagging a 1GB 7750 to go with it will produce:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33GHz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 1GB
MOBO: Foxconn G33M02
PSU: Cooler Master 460
Heatsink: 212 EVO
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB DDR2 800)

If the 7750 is about all that E8600 can take then I'm happy with that. Also, I'm not married to the 7750 idea if there's a better option: it's just what I kept seeing on tomshardware.com, and it is a solid card.

Lastly, I'm getting around ~$50 difference between E8400 and E8600. Is that generally worth the .33 GHz difference?

Cheers again

Smokey

Thanks!

If I understand that correctly, it means that any previous motherboard I purchase would be rendered obsolete, as no more processors would be made that would fit into that socket, (i.e. a dead socket). Correct?

So if I purchase the build I have now, I wouldn't be able to update it to the Haswell. Is the Haswell that much better?

Correct. Haswell is marginally better than Ivy Bridge from what's been leaked so far. The big deals about Haswell is the improvement in it's iGPU, which if you're using on a desktop isn't a big deal as you'll most likely have a discrete GPU. Intel always does this new socket BS. It's one thing AMD has handled better over the years.

kharma45

Thanks for that!

When you say "that CPU" you mean the E8600 I'm upgrading to and not the E4400, yeah? Snagging a 1GB 7750 to go with it will produce:

If the 7750 is about all that E8600 can take then I'm happy with that. Also, I'm not married to the 7750 idea if there's a better option: it's just what I kept seeing on tomshardware.com, and it is a solid card.

Lastly, I'm getting around ~$50 difference between E8400 and E8600. Is that generally worth the .33 GHz difference?

Cheers again

Yeah the E8400. For $50 I would say no, don't waste money on an old CPU. Save it towards something newer in the long run.

Ahhh the smell of new hardware and a fresh windows 7 install... Ninite is literally the greatest thing. Got my 7870 today (amazon bumped me from monday to today so I am pleased) Also got my keys for Bioshock, tomb raider and whatever else.

zeelman

So I have a weird issue with my case. When I took it out from under my desk to put the CPU cooler in the proper direction, I accidently pulled the front panel off. It's designed so it can be taken off, so it was easy to put back on. However, it now occasionally makes a popping, cracking-like sound. The case is not damaged in any way, so how can I get it to stop doing that?

clashfan

Sorry this is a noob question. I would like a fairly quite system. Should I get those cpu liquid cooling system? I don't plan on OCing. Do they require any maintenance like refilling the liquid?

plainr_

Thanks for that!

Cheers again

I'd spend a little extra on the graphics card. Maybe a 7770. I played a bit with the 7750 and it was getting 22-25 FPS on tomb raider and a 20-30 on skyrim.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Nothing fancy; but I dragged out an extra desk and have set up temporary shop in the garage.

8751294505_3dd1f03d2f_z.jpg

LegendX48

If you can spare an extra $10, this would be a better choice: 128GB Samsung 840 Pro

sorry for late response, been a bit busy. That price is tolerable but the drive is out of stock at amazon and running a higher price elsewhere. Aside from the 840 pro, do you know of any other good, reliable ssd's at or (preferably) below the $130 price point at a similar capacity?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
sorry for late response, been a bit busy. That price is tolerable but the drive is out of stock at amazon and running a higher price elsewhere. Aside from the 840 pro, do you know of any other good, reliable ssd's at or (preferably) below the $130 price point at a similar capacity?
830 and m4

So yeah, both my 6950 1GBs have died for some reason. My old 4870 still works, so I'm rocking that until I get a new graphics card or two. It's a real shit of a thing because I wanted to upgrade my CPU and mobo first.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth going for two 7970 GHz Editions, a single GTX Titan or waiting for the 7990 and hoping it doesn't have coil noise. I'm running two screens, though the second screen is an old 1680x1050 monitor that I have to run TV shows and video, while I game on a 1080p TV.

ScRYeD

need help guy I have two card(2gig) crossfire , they said i have only 3.1 gig of ram when I'm suppose to have 4gig :S
Your getting confused. Having your gpu's in crossfire doesnt double your vram it still only uses 2. That 3.1g of ram sounds like you only have 4g of ram on your motherboard and you are using a 32bit operating system thats why it only displays 3.1 instead of 4.

I've been saving up money to build my own PC, and my friend and I finally got to compiling a list. Could you more learned fellas take a quick glance and give me your insight? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for the ultimate machine--just something significantly above common grade that will last me through and through. I don't typically play any AAA titles, just games like DotA, Team Fortress, and etcetera--but I wouldn't mind having the ability to run graphics you'd see on Borderlands 2. (Also note, I will only be playing on 1080p.)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply with Modular Cables (RS800-80GAD3-US)
Internal SSD: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Internal Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX-680 (2GB)
Wi-Fi Card: TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Wireless N300 PCI Express Adapter,300Mbps, WPS Button, 802.11b/g/n, Support 64/128 bit WEP, WEP, WPA/WPA2
Blu-Ray: LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40)

By the way, I don't have any sort of ethernet option for the time being. I have to run on wireless. I know that's a taboo among gamers--or something--but if you have a better selection for internal Wi-Fi cards, that'd be good to know. Any firmware, support, or service issues with any of the products we chose? Give me other any sort of advice you have, as well. I'm roughly in the $1,400.00 range, and would like to keep the budget within that range. Thanks for your help!

Dumb question, when you plug HDMI into a graphics card that has the port built in, should it spark? It is a live connection. I'm hoping it doesn't mean my other computer parts are fucked.

kennah

I've been saving up money to build my own PC, and my friend and I finally got to compiling a list. Could you more learned fellas take a quick glance and give me your insight? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for the ultimate machine--just something significantly above common grade that will last me through and through. I don't typically play any AAA titles, just games like DotA, Team Fortress, and etcetera--but I wouldn't mind having the ability to run graphics you'd see on Borderlands 2. (Also note, I will only be playing on 1080p.)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply with Modular Cables (RS800-80GAD3-US)
Internal SSD: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2
Internal Hard Drive: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX-680 (2GB)
Wi-Fi Card: TP-LINK TL-WN881ND Wireless N300 PCI Express Adapter,300Mbps, WPS Button, 802.11b/g/n, Support 64/128 bit WEP, WEP, WPA/WPA2
Blu-Ray: LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter without Software, Black (WH14NS40)

By the way, I don't have any sort of ethernet option for the time being. I have to run on wireless. I know that's a taboo among gamers--or something--but if you have a better selection for internal Wi-Fi cards, that'd be good to know. Any firmware, support, or service issues with any of the products we chose? Give me other any sort of advice you have, as well. I'm roughly in the $1,400.00 range, and would like to keep the budget within that range. Thanks for your help!

Dude... just wait a month. Don't waste your money on the 680 when the 770 is going to be cheaper and as fast.

Dumb question, when you plug HDMI into a graphics card that has the port built in, should it spark? It is a live connection. I'm hoping it doesn't mean my other computer parts are fucked.
Generally, no. Sounds like something wasn't grounded that should've been under normal circumstances.

diaspora

I'm thinking of having an SSD for my rig for the OS to run off of. Now I know that Windows 8 lets you do re-installs with the refresh option, but does anyone know if I can do the reinstall and install the OS onto the new SSD?

smokey,creeping fear what are your steam names?

Well, I haven't really streamed yet, just done a few private test streams with OBS. I wasn't using any capture cards though. I don't want to stream unless I can do it in a proper way that will minimize losing fps in games. Ideally, I'd like a computer dedicated for streaming, but I think I might have to settle for the AverMedia Live Gamer HD to take off the load from the CPU for streaming. My stream name is Costanzathemage after my WOW gnome mage.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alrighty, so I've been tinkering in paint....

8752875732_858c7cb331_c.jpg

Thoughts on this loop?

Blue boxes = radiator (360mm on top, 240mm on front)
Blue lines = tubing
White = fans
Aqua blue = pump/reservoir

It's a little messy; but I think if I could get good cuts and perfect lengths with the tubing, it could look really good.

I don't think I'm gonna use the top hard drive cage - as the bottom will hold my two SSDs and any hard drives I decide to add.

So I'll set the pump/res on top the bottom cage. Then, the case comes with a metal "shroud" that will completely hide the cage, pump, and front radiator - so you can imagine any of that being not-visible.

I'm thinking...

PUMP/RES -> 240mm front rad -> CPU -> 360mm top rad -> (gravity starts kicking in) -> GPU(s) -> PUMP/RES

Thoughts?

Also - I want to have fans on the interior of the case. All my reading suggests there is little difference between a push or pull; for aesthetics, I want white fans that are visible. Furthermore, that last stand-alone fan.... in an air rig, I'd have that as an exhaust... always. But should it be an intake in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom