• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Alright NG, help me. I have my build ready. I have all parts picked out. Except the CPU and GPU. The GPU isn't really an issue since I'm just waiting for the GeForce Titan to be announced and see how powerful it is. My issue is the CPU. I had opted for a Core i7 3770K. Money isn't an issue but I won't say no to saving a few bucks. I'm a PC gamer and I like things to run well if not optimal. Is the 3770k worth it or should I just stick with a 3570K?

Any input from owners will be greatly appreciated.

If you can get in on that 3770k for $230, you absolutely should. That is a fantastic price for top-tier hardware. Frys will pricematch Micro Center fwiw.

Ugh, wish there was a Microcenter close to me as I would jump all over that 3770K :/ I haven't bought a CPU yet and was planning on getting a 3570K, but to get an i7 for the same price would be great.

Frys will do if you have one of those within 50 miles or so.

madmackem

Been out of the pc game for an age, looking at a build that has a 660 gtx in it hows that card? mid range? would i be able to play say bf3 on decent settings at 1080p?. Its paired with a i5 and 16 gig of ram.

madmackem

Go with 8GB of RAM and get a 660ti.

Its a prebuilt unit from a local pc shop as i dont feel confident in building my own even though 7 or 8 years ago i use to make a few quid building pcs ive been out of the pc game too long. Is the ti a maked improvement?.

kharma45

Go with 8GB of RAM and get a 660ti.

Agreed. Save the money on RAM and put it towards the GPU for the 660Ti or the 7950.

Alright NG, help me. I have my build ready. I have all parts picked out. Except the CPU and GPU. The GPU isn't really an issue since I'm just waiting for the GeForce Titan to be announced and see how powerful it is. My issue is the CPU. I had opted for a Core i7 3770K. Money isn't an issue but I won't say no to saving a few bucks. I'm a PC gamer and I like things to run well if not optimal. Is the 3770k worth it or should I just stick with a 3570K?

Any input from owners will be greatly appreciated.

If it's mainly gaming the i5 is more than adequate.

Its a prebuilt unit from a local pc shop as i dont feel confident in building my own even though 7 or 8 years ago i use to make a few quid building pcs ive been out of the pc game too long. Is the ti a maked improvement?.

Build :p 660 vs 660 Ti http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/660?vs=647

Going by your username, are you from Sunderland by any chance?

I haven't been able to reinstall the Realtek software for a few hours. I do have Windows drivers, however. I've removed the front panel HD audio entirely and have tried simply getting sound through the onboard basic audio (green jack) with two sets of headphones and some speakers and I get nothing.

Also, Windows is 'hanging' at the 'starting Windows' screen. The Windows logo spins around for a moment, freezes, then flashes purple for a moment before going to the desktop. Do you have any idea what kind of problem that is?

EDIT: Out of curiosity, is there any reason why sound would work absolutely fine with games and that 'Wildlife in HD' video and nothing else?

Still looks like a driver issue, you can try the following:

Method 1.
In some cases, you can work around the problem by disabling optional speaker effects that are collectively known as enhancements. If disabling speaker effects solves the problem, you might need to update your audio driver.

To disable speaker audio enhancements.
a. Open Sound by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type sound, and then click Sound.
b. On the Playback tab, click Speakers, and then click Properties.
c. Click the Enhancements tab, and then select the Disable all enhancements check box.

If you do not see an Enhancements tab in the Speakers Properties dialog box, those features are not available for your speakers and this procedure is not applicable to your computer.

If disabling audio enhancements solves the audio problem you are experiencing, this typically indicates that your audio driver needs to be updated.
If disabling audio enhancements solves the audio problem you are experiencing, check to see if an updated driver is available for your computer from the manufacturer’s website.
Method 2.
Perform the following steps and check if that helps.
a. Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
b. On Playback tab, click the Speaker which is used currently and click Properties button.
c. Switch to Advanced tab, uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.
d. If the Enhancements tab is available, click it. Check 'Disable all sound effects".
e. In Setting section, Select None.
f. Click Apply and click OK.

kharma45

Was looking at falcon computers mate there local store who do builds.

No problem! Was just trying to think of guys who do stuff around your sort of area. The ones I'd immediately recommend are in Nottingham so it's a bit out of the way.

Post back here if they give you a provisional build so we can be nosey and run an eye over it :p

Koroviev

You have us, YouTube, and pictorical guides. Man up and give yourself the best for the money.

madmackem

No problem! Was just trying to think of guys who do stuff around your sort of area. The ones I'd immediately recommend are in Nottingham so it's a bit out of the way.

Post back here if they give you a provisional build so we can be nosey and run an eye over it :p

Cheers mate here is the machine im currently looking at. Price is around £800.

ntel i5 3570k Quad Core CPU NEW) Sandyridge
16GB DDR3 1600 Fast Corsair Vengeance Gaming Memory (4x 4GB Dual Channel Kits)
1Tb Sata 3 HDD 7200RPM, 64Mb Cache
2Gb Nvidia GTX660 3D GFX Card (Palit / EVGA or Sparkle Brand)
ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
22X DVDRW Dual Layer
600Watt Cooler master GX-Lite Gaming PSU
Stylish Cooler Master Special Edition Enhanced USB3 Nvidia 692 Gaming Case
Windows 7 or Windows 8 Home Premium (64Bit) Your Choice

Koroviev

Unnecessarily high amount of RAM (low-profile?), no SSD, and I've never heard of that case.

Its alot down to my current health issues as well tbh, ive lost alot of movement in a fair few fingers due to Psoriatic Arthritis that i got last year.

Oh, I'm sorry :(

Can you get a friend to help you out? I would help you out, but I don't live in the same country...

madmackem

Unnecessarily high amount of RAM (low-profile?), no SSD, and I've never heard of that case.

Oh, I'm sorry :(

Can you get a friend to help you out? I would help you out, but I don't live in the same country...

No worries, nah none of my friends are really into gaming and i wouldnt trust them changing the batteries haha.

kharma45

That's not actually too bad a price providing it's similar to this I just threw together quickly on Ebuyer

YJxZO0u.png

Try and get them to give you less RAM (say 8GB) and instead a better GPU.

Pretty sure the case is just the CM 690.

madmackem

That's not actually too bad a price providing it's similar to this I just threw together quickly on Ebuyer

Try and get them to give you less RAM (say 8GB) and instead a better GPU.

Pretty sure the case is just the CM 690.

Thanks for the help, i will ask them about that but not too bad a price i guess for them to build it and the 12 month warrenty.

Koroviev

Thanks for the help, i will ask them about that but not too bad a price i guess for them to build it and the 12 month warrenty.

No, it's actually a lot better than most prebuilt machines. I'd also ask about getting a 128GB SSD thrown in there for good measure.

kharma45

That's the main downside when you get a pre-build where you only get a 12 month warranty on the whole system whereas buying the parts yourself you get a variety of warranties on each bit.

Must say the price they've quoted is reasonable for a pre-build machine. As I said, look to lower the RAM and maybe get a better GPU, or stick that money towards an SSD instead.

Still looks like a driver issue, you can try the following:

The speakers are plugged into the system via the green audio output as we speak and they're not being recognised by the system. I have tried disabling the enhancements and then restarting to no avail. The most puzzling thing is that I can watch the 'Wildlife in HD' video that comes with 7 and it plays fine every time with no interruptions in the sound, but I'll go into iTunes, Steam Big Picture, or watch a video in a browser and it'll cut out continuously. Even system sounds seem a little cut off.

Is there anything on the motherboard that could cause a problem? 8 and 24 pin ATX are in their right sockets, GPU is where it should be, both RAM sticks are in the blue slots. I have a 550W PSU, which I did put through one of those tests beforehand to see if it could handle all the components. Is it possible that the components can't draw enough power or anything?

EDIT: Just tried out Twin Peaks on DVD. No problems whatsoever. Strange..

Okay, so I've just paused the Twin Peaks DVD and tried some music. It works perfectly until I close DVD playback. Windows Media Player, by the way.

kharma45

AMD Never Settle Reloaded Bundle Campaign Includes Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider

You might remember over the holiday season of 2012 that AMD had a simply amazing bundle of games to entice PC gamers to choose purchasing Radeon graphics cards instead of GeForce. That bundle included Medal of Honor, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution and Far Cry 3. We were stoked to see that kind of comittment to the gamer and even did a set of three game streams with AMD on each games' release.

Well after a behind-the-scenes battle that was finally decided just about two weeks ago, AMD is ready to announce the "Never Settle Reloaded" bundle that might actually be MORE impressive based on the games included.

First up is the reboot of Tomb Raider, a fresh look at the Lara Croft character that I got to get hands on at an event in Toronto last year. Due out on March 5th, the visuals in this game are damn good. Bioshock infinite is the third game in the acclaimed series and has a few DirectCompute additions to the game engine code. Release is set on March 26th. DMC Devil May Cry is included for the APAC region (instead of Tomb Raider).

And the biggest name in the bundle is no doubt Crysis 3 - a game that many PC gamers have been looking forward to and one that promises to push gaming performance on high-end GPUs to their limits. I was playing this on a GTX 680 recently (the MP beta) and couldn't get more than 40 FPS at 1080p and Ultra settings.

So how doese the bundle break down?

If you buy a single Radeon HD 7970 or HD 7950 you'll be able to get keys for both Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite, completely free! HD 7800 series buyers will get both Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider.

Just to make things MORE interesting, if you invest in a set of HD 7900 cards for CrossFire, or even a dual-GPU HD 7900 card like the Devil 13, you'll get Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Hitman: Absolution and Sleeping Dogs. That is 6 full PC games worth at least $300 that you'll get keys for just for picking AMD's Radeon cards over NVIDIA's GeForce.

So there you have it, the Never Settle Reloaded bundle. This iteration doesn't include anything for HD 7700 series cards but I think most enthusiasts are going to stay in the HD 7850 and above range of options anyway.

nsr5.jpg

nsr6.jpg

Pretty good bundle, a pity you're only getting two games free now though instead of three on the 7900 series.

Cronen

My PC was previously on Windows 7 32 bit. I recently upgraded to Windows 8, and I don't believe I was ever offered if I want to keep it at 32 or upgrade to 64. So, I'm still at 32 bit.

I'm assuming there is no way to upgrade up to 64 now without re-installing the OS right? Is there any way of removing the 4GB RAM 'lock' on 32bit? I would ideally like to have more (eg. 8GB).

kharma45

My PC was previously on Windows 7 32 bit. I recently upgraded to Windows 8, and I don't believe I was ever offered if I want to keep it at 32 or upgrade to 64. So, I'm still at 32 bit.

I'm assuming there is no way to upgrade up to 64 now without re-installing the OS right? Is there any way of removing the 4GB RAM 'lock' on 32bit? I would ideally like to have more (eg. 8GB).

There isn't, you'd need to do a clean install to go 64bit and you can't remove the RAM limitation on 32bit.

garath

Echoplx

Nope, you have to re-install completely, if you used the Windows 8 upgrade client it automatically detects if your OS is 32bit or 64bit, the way to get around this is to just download and install a Windows 7 64 version and upgrade while it's under the trial period.

aristotle

You're correct. You may be able to call MS support and they can help you out. The Win8 upgrade program only downloads the version that you're downloading from. So to get the 64-bit version you had to buy it and download it on a 64bit OS. It's completely stupid I know. You have to have the 64bit OS installed that you're upgrading from. Then you have to download it that way. Since your serial is already marked for a 32bit version, I don't know that just reinstalling will work. Like I said, you may have to call MS support to reactivate it. I have no clue myself beyond what people have already stated.

I had that same issue when I bought my upgrade. I had to re-buy my upgrade on a 64-bit PC just so I'll have a Win8 key when I build my new PC. I could've just reactivated it using the old serial but since I'm giving my current pc away, I thought it was nicer for me to do it the way I did.

Koroviev

You're correct. You may be able to call MS support and they can help you out. The Win8 upgrade program only downloads the version that you're downloading from. So to get the 64-bit version you had to buy it and download it on a 64bit OS. It's completely stupid I know. You have to have the 64bit OS installed that you're upgrading from. Then you have to download it that way. Since your serial is already marked for a 32bit version, I don't know that just reinstalling will work. Like I said, you may have to call MS support to reactivate it. I have no clue myself beyond what people have already stated.

I had that same issue when I bought my upgrade. I had to re-buy my upgrade on a 64-bit PC just so I'll have a Win8 key when I build my new PC. I could've just reactivated it using the old serial but since I'm giving my current pc away, I thought it was nicer for me to do it the way I did.

If he can get his hands on an old XP disk and a 64-bit Win8 .iso, then he can install XP on the drive (no need to activate; just load the Win8 .iso when XP reboots after formatting the drive) and do a clean install of Windows 8. The upgrade installer is simply looking for a Windows partition.

kharma45

Man this incredibly tempting for me, especially since I haven't bought a GPU yet. Those are two games (Crysis 3 and Bioshock) that I was going to buy anyways. How does a 7970 compare to a 680 (which I was planning to buy)?

As a rough guide

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/618?vs=555

Those benches though are as the cards launched afaik, both have seen performance improvements with subsequent driver updates (the 7970 especially), however Nvidia at present has slightly better frame latencies than AMD but it is something AMD is working hard to sort out and it should be on par, if not better, within two driver releases.

Xyphie

Bolded parts are incorrect. A Windows product key doesn't care which bit version you're running, they apply to both 32/64-bit versions.

Go to www.mswos.com, log in with order details, download installer on a 64-bit machine (run it in W7 compatibility+admin mode if it's a W8 machine). Save the .iso when you're asked. Use Windows USB/DVD Tool. Install using that. Boom, done.

Aranath

Well, I've completely built my rig now, thankfully. Got it up and running and Windows installed.

Everything seems to be running OK, apart from the fact that there's an incredibly annoying constant high-pitched noise coming from the PC and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where it's coming from.

I did an external build first, to test the motherboard, processor, cooler, memory and GPU before putting them in my case, and the noise was happening then. I just assumed it was one of the fans sitting a bit weird or whatever and once it was properly situated in the case it would be fine.

Once the build was finished, I closed it all up, turned it on, and the sound was gone. I installed Windows and everything was peachy. I then went out to get some food, came back, and the computer was in standby. I turned it back on and now the sound is back. It's really loud and won't stop at all.

I notice that it doesn't get any quieter when the case is closed, so I'm not sure if that means anything. Any ideas what could be causing this? It's actually hurting my ears.

My specs are:

NZXT Phantom case
i5 3570k with Hyper 212 Evo cooler
8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz LP
Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Edition (Vapor-X cooler)
MSI Z77 MPower motherboard
Corsair TX850 PSU
Crucial M4 128gb SSD

kharma45

Well, I've completely built my rig now, thankfully. Got it up and running and Windows installed.

Everything seems to be running OK, apart from the fact that there's an incredibly annoying constant high-pitched noise coming from the PC and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where it's coming from.

I did an external build first, to test the motherboard, processor, cooler, memory and GPU before putting them in my case, and the noise was happening then. I just assumed it was one of the fans sitting a bit weird or whatever and once it was properly situated in the case it would be fine.

Once the build was finished, I closed it all up, turned it on, and the sound was gone. I installed Windows and everything was peachy. I then went out to get some food, came back, and the computer was in standby. I turned it back on and now the sound is back. It's really loud and won't stop at all.

I notice that it doesn't get any quieter when the case is closed, so I'm not sure if that means anything. Any ideas what could be causing this? It's actually hurting my ears.

My specs are:

NZXT Phantom case
Corsair TX850 PSU
Crucial M4 128gb SSD

Could potentially be coil whine from somewhere like the PSU if it's high pitched.

DTKT

My specs are:

NZXT Phantom case
Corsair TX850 PSU
Crucial M4 128gb SSD

That sounds like coil-whine, one of the most annoying sound in PC gaming. On my own rig, it comes from the video-card when it reaches 200+ FPS. Do you have a spare one you could try?

Koroviev

My specs are:

NZXT Phantom case
Corsair TX850 PSU
Crucial M4 128gb SSD

Grab an empty paper towel roll and use that to isolate the source.

jett

D-Member
the nice thing about the DGX is that it is only half-height, and cheap as well. Else I would've thought about getting a STX or something

1155 CPUs have dual channel memory, so they require two/four sticks

2011 CPUs are quad, so four or eight sticks

What does that mean, I can't even use a single 8GB stick in a 1155 board?

Aranath

Thanks for the replies, guys. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare GPU to test with, but I'll try running off the integrated graphics and see if that helps. I'll also try the paper towel roll thing to see if I can isolate it. It seems to me to be louder higher up in the case, away from the PSU and the GPU. Could the CPU or cooler cause this? Or something on the motherboard?

I decided to do a test in FurMark to see if it was perhaps the GPU and it definitely seems to be more intense. Additionally, I notice, when I'm browsing the web, if I scroll the page, the sound gets louder when I scroll. As soon as I stop it goes back to its normal level. Whatever that means.

kharma45

Thanks for the replies, guys. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare GPU to test with, but I'll try running off the integrated graphics and see if that helps. I'll also try the paper towel roll thing to see if I can isolate it. It seems to me to be louder higher up in the case, away from the PSU and the GPU. Could the CPU or cooler cause this? Or something on the motherboard?

I decided to do a test in FurMark to see if it was perhaps the GPU and it definitely seems to be more intense. Additionally, I notice, when I'm browsing the web, if I scroll the page, the sound gets louder when I scroll. As soon as I stop it goes back to its normal level. Whatever that means.

Could well be the GPU, the coil whine could be a result of the GPU acceleration in your browser.

DTKT

I think it could be coming from one of the capacitor on the MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom