• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, how might the cost of PC gaming compare to the cost of console gaming in the long run? You have to pay a lot up front for PC gaming and some upgrades every now and again, while consoles are initially cheaper, but they charge you over time for subscriptions and games are more expensive for longer + less deals. How might it usually pan out in terms of price?

Also have to take into account that the PC has a lot more uses then just video games. Sure they are trying for that on consoles now too, but will it ever reach the same scale?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Out of curiosity, how might the cost of PC gaming compare to the cost of console gaming in the long run? You have to pay a lot up front for PC gaming and some upgrades every now and again, while consoles are initially cheaper, but they charge you over time for subscriptions and games are more expensive for longer + less deals. How might it usually pan out in terms of price?

Depends the machines I build in the 500-650 range didn't run me as much as my 360, xbl, and hardware accessories which easily rose to 800$+ this last gen.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Considering I pay about $10-$20 average per game (Not including all those $1-$5 deals), don't pay for online, and a fast computer is very beneficial outside of gaming I'd say it's a great purchase.

Foxyone

I was just wondering about the cost between the two types of gaming because a lot of people use the fact that consoles offer similar graphics and whatnot for a lot lower price compared to a high-end PC, but it ends up being the case that console players then have to pay more for accessories, subscriptions, and games, so it's more like consoles just don't make you pay for it all at once.

brentech

Much like on console, if you're willing to wait a little past release, you'll often get the game discounted. And if you're willing to wait on certain games for a few months, you can often find a deal on them on one of the services or sites for under $10.

Game library builds really fast and cheap on PC for games that are already out. I've bought like one game on release, and it costs the same as console or maybe $10 less.

metalshade

I was just wondering about the cost between the two types of gaming because a lot of people use the fact that consoles offer similar graphics and whatnot for a lot lower price compared to a high-end PC, but it ends up being the case that console players then have to pay more for accessories, subscriptions, and games, so it's more like consoles just don't make you pay for it all at once.

I was in the same position about 18 months ago, I could see where the next-gen was heading, and I didn't like it, so I decided to step out early.
I looked at it this way, over a 5 year period.

Say a new console is £300 + 2 launch games at £40 each, and an extra controller £30, then a subscription to PS+ or XBL £35, then maybe 3 more games in that launch year, at £40 each. Then each subsequent year you buy maybe 2 games brand new at £40, then 3 more at cheaper prices/second hand at about £15 each, and a renewed sub for £25.
Over 5 years, that makes £1165.

This PC I just threw together for you http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/metalshade/saved/1ExJ , costs £815 (Just tower and OS mind you.)
Now, buying a PC will change your gaming habits, you will have a HUGE extremely cheap (I mean, 6 games for £7.50 bundles) backlog, and will be much less inclined to buy brand new, and if you do, it costs £29.99 instead of £39.99.
But if you went on STEAM with the £350 difference, you could have a library of about 250 games, including some brand new releases mixed in.

Edit: Heck after 18 months of owning a PC my Library is a measly 157 games, but I bought maybe 2 brand new, and never paid more than 22.50 for anything. Got Borderlands 2, with all bonuses, preorder stuff and the season pass all for £22.00 on day 1.

brentech

I was in the same position about 18 months ago, I could see where the next-gen was heading, and I didn't like it, so I decided to step out early.

Say a new console is £300 + 2 launch games at £40 each, and an extra controller £30, then a subscription to PS+ or XBL £35, then maybe 3 more games in that launch year, at £40 each. Then each subsequent year you buy maybe 2 games brand new at £40, then 3 more at cheaper prices/second hand at about £15 each, and a renewed sub for £25.

This PC I just threw together for you http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/metalshade/saved/1ExJ , costs £815 (Just tower and OS mind you.)
Now, buying a PC will change your gaming habits, you will have a HUGE extremely cheap (I mean, 6 games for £7.50 bundles) backlog, and will be much less inclined to buy brand new, and if you do, it costs £29.99 instead of £39.99.
But if you went on STEAM with the £350 difference, you could have a library of about 250 games, including some brand new releases mixed in.

Edit: Heck after 18 months of owning a PC my Library is a measly 157 games, but I bought maybe 2 brand new, and never paid more than 22.50 for anything. Got Borderlands 2, with all bonuses, preorder stuff and the season pass all for £22.00 on day 1.

Eh I don't buy a whole lot brand new on PC or console. IF I do buy new for console, it's usually via Amazon that gives discounts for the major titles. I still like playing on console, but some games just belong on PC.
And then games that I just never got around to on the console, I am able to buy super cheap on PC, so it's a win win. (Or recently, games that I once had on console like Dark Souls, that I bought on PC to replay...looks fucking fantastic and got for under $7. Can't beat that)

Foxyone

I'm definitely going PC this time, but I actually have yet to experience a gaming PC with anything better than a Radeon 6570m. I'm aiming for a 7870 XT in my first gaming PC, but it's unfortunate that by the time I'd have the money for everything, the new Radeon series (9000?) might be just around the corner, bringing either price drops or better hardware from a new architecture that I shouldn't miss out on.

metalshade

I'm definitely going PC this time, but I actually have yet to experience a gaming PC with anything better than a Radeon 6570m. I'm aiming for a 7870 XT in my first gaming PC, but it's unfortunate that by the time I'd have the money for everything, the new Radeon series (9000?) might be just around the corner, bringing either price drops or better hardware from a new architecture that I shouldn't miss out on.

So long as you buy a mobo that supports (the build I linked doesn't) the new Intel chips about to arrive, you're all set.
Changes in PC hardware are not usually a huge leap that render the previous gen completely useless, except in cases like I mentioned above, but these occur infrequently.
Lol, if I knew you were already sold on PC gaming, I wouldn't have written so much or had to have built you a demonstration machine!

metalshade

Eh I don't buy a whole lot brand new on PC or console. IF I do buy new for console, it's usually via Amazon that gives discounts for the major titles. I still like playing on console, but some games just belong on PC.
And then games that I just never got around to on the console, I am able to buy super cheap on PC, so it's a win win. (Or recently, games that I once had on console like Dark Souls, that I bought on PC to replay...looks fucking fantastic and got for under $7. Can't beat that)

I wrote and made all that, and all you have to say is "eh" !!
Bah. Lol.

Somnid

I'm building my GF a computer soon, I was wondering if there's anything to note about Haswell compatible motherboards. My understanding was they didn't change the socket so any current LGA 1155 mobo is good right? Any chip set concerns like Sandybridge had?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm building my GF a computer soon, I was wondering if there's anything to note about Haswell compatible motherboards. My understanding was they didn't change the socket so any current LGA 1155 mobo is good right? Any chip set concerns like Sandybridge had?
Z87 motherboards.
New socket. 1150. Same mounting pins I believe.

Corsick

So....I just installed a new wireless pci card since my last one was dropping out when other PCs were in heavy use (laptop was not which led me to believe it was my card). I seem to have a decent connection and my pc has recognized the new card....but the power/activity lights don't function. I am playing some TF 2 atm to test it and the amount of lag seems the same as before (which is good). Should I care if it seems to be functioning? I guess I should stress test it a bit more.

Lexxon

Z87 motherboards.
New socket. 1150. Same mounting pins I believe.

Exactly what I'm reading. Entirely different socket for sure--1150, so Haswell mobos (Z87 and whatever other lower-end chipsets) are only for Haswell chips. It will likely share w/ Broadwell in the future, as Sandy and Ivy share 1155, but there will be a new chipset with improvements. This is assuming the BGA-only (soldered onto the board/SoC) Broadwell rumor remains just a rumor.

Mounting is said to be identical to 1155, so the vast majority of the cooling solutions on the market today should be fine.

So....I just installed a new wireless pci card since my last one was dropping out when other PCs were in heavy use (laptop was not). I seem to have a decent connection and my pc has recognized the new card....but the power/activity lights don't function. I am playing some TF 2 atm to test it and the amount of lag seems the same as before (which is good). Should I care if it seems to be functioning? I guess I should stress test it a bit more.

I've had peripherals' LEDs go haywire on Win7/8 standard MS drivers, or even those from Windows Update. If you can download the official drivers [if they work for your OS] that might fix it, but if performance seems fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

Corsick

Exactly what I'm reading. Entirely different socket for sure--1150, so Haswell mobos (Z87 and whatever other lower-end chipsets) are only for Haswell chips. It will likely share w/ Broadwell in the future, as Sandy and Ivy share 1155, but there will be a new chipset with improvements. This is assuming the BGA-only (soldered onto the board/SoC) Broadwell rumor remains just a rumor.

Mounting is said to be identical to 1155, so the vast majority of the cooling solutions on the market today should be fine.

I've had peripherals' LEDs go haywire on Win7/8 standard MS drivers, or even those from Windows Update. If you can download the official drivers [if they work for your OS] that might fix it, but if performance seems fine then I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah it actually worked fine without any drivers, I installed the official ones straight from the site with the correct version and everything. It gave me some useless utility and I'm guessing installed some drivers, problem is it changed nothing functionally. My connection was rock solid as soon as I booted up and was recognized in my device manager and the same was true after installing the utility. So I uninstalled it as it was useless at that point and things are good. For some reason those 2 green lights not being lit up make me feel incomplete :(. Thanks for the help btw.

zoku88

Is the new mobo for Haswell going to do much besides actually support those CPUs?

Hmm?

As far as I know, the only thing different compared to the previous generation is that (most) of the voltage regulators have been moved to the CPU.

So, the motherboards are still going to be doing a lot of the stuff that they previously did.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Is the new mobo for Haswell going to do much besides actually support those CPUs?

Most motherboards seem to have all SATA 6 Gb/s instead of 2-4 with 2-4 SATA 3 Gb/s. I was hoping for SATA express, but maybe with broadwell. Not for home but for work.

No.
Also, fill out the OP.
That saddens me, I filled out the form and to be honest it still leaves me baffled as to what hardware can run what. What parts including gpu, CPU would I need to run bf4 on ultra? My brother made a gaming rig for around 1100 and it runs bf3 ultra flawlessly. I am so sorry for these noob scrub ass questions I just feel like I am not doing the proper researh

Can we replace Fraps with Bandicam on OP? Because I tried it last night and it floored me. Quality is nearly the same as Fraps, hits the FPS slightly more, but the filesize is 95% smaller. The free version also has far less limitations since it lets you record 10 mins at a time (compared to 30 secs with Fraps). It has more options for codecs and resolutions, while Fraps only uses one codec and only allows two resolution settings (full/half).

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Built my first PC ever last night. My experienced friend was busy, so I had to do it by myself (except for some flashlight action from my girlfriend). It couldn't have gone smoother, sans not knowing if I had an appropriate cable for the power supply. Got Windows 8 installed and moved over my Steam/Origin/Desura libraries. All of my fears were for nothing.

So here's my build:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHZ
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 OC 2GB DDR5
Storage: 2x1TB WD Blue hard drives
PSU: 450W
Case: Cooler Master Cavalier 3

I managed to get all of it for about $630. Played a little Bioshock Infinite and it was smooth as butter with everything set to ultra, until I got to the church area. It kept switching to 30 fps, so I dropped the shadows down to normal. That got it back up to a constant 60. I've played about half of the game on my laptop, running between 25-30 fps with everything pretty low, and it's kinda blowing my mind to see how nice it is.

This thread was incredibly helpful for someone like me, having no experience in building a rig and knowing very little about PC gaming. It turned out to be much simpler than I expected.

MedIC86

would I need to run bf4 on ultra?

There is no way to know for sure untill the system requirements are released. You can "guess" that if you buy a titan or 780gtx BF4 will run properly, but below that its hard to guess whats needed for ultra settings for a game that isnt released.

T I just feel like I am not doing the proper researh

Just read the entire OP first, and then ask questions.

That saddens me, I filled out the form and to be honest it still leaves me baffled as to what hardware can run what. What parts including gpu, CPU would I need to run bf4 on ultra? My brother made a gaming rig for around 1100 and it runs bf3 ultra flawlessly. I am so sorry for these noob scrub ass questions I just feel like I am not doing the proper researh

GPUs are the main factor in determining the quality at which a game can run.

The upswing to this is that you can always upgrade a GPU while a CPU will last you much, much longer if current trends hold.

A $900 budget will be able to run BF4 at respectable settings for sure, especially later this year when prices fall a bit more and sales start ramping up. Note also that your performance is tied to your resolution and FPS. I'm sure you could set the sliders to ultra if your resolution is at 720 and you expect 30 FPS from the game, but that's not typically what people want out of the PC gaming experience.

Best advice I can give you is to wait until the last possible second to build a PC. Sometimes prices won't drop much in that period, but there is always a chance that they will, or that a GPU will be bundled with a copy of the game for example, or something else that you can take advantage of to extend your dollar's purchasing power.

CountertopTable

Neo Member
I really hate EVGA.

They are making me open the package, then register the Titan, in order for me to get a refund and I have to pay $60 to ship it back. On top of that I have to wait 2 weeks for a refund.

This whole thing has been a nightmare. This is why I hate ordering parts online. Nothing but trouble and a money sink.

Never ordering from EVGA again, never ordering Online again. I hate this.

Should have just said you want to refuse and return to sender the package. Then it would have been returned to EVGA and they could have resold it as new and you would have got a full refund since the package was never opened.

Protocol7

So I was checking the new Haswell Asus motherboards and I realized that none of them have double 16x PCIE slots (16x16x). Is that a "limitation" from the Z87 in general or just a choice from Asus?

After double checking (and to contradict what I just said above :p), it seems the Maximus VI Hero does have two 16x PCIE ports but I'm not sure, can't find reliable information about it anywhere... (maybe missed it). There's a pic from Anendtech article (pic)

Anyone knows? :)

Banned
I was so excited EVGA had reference gtx 780 in stock. Ordered it, but once I got to shipping, they said it would be $47. WTF? I cancelled it lol. All other sites offer shipping for less than $10. Maybe I'll wait for a retail store to actually stock it.

Banned
So I was checking the new Haswell Asus motherboards and I realized that none of them have double 16x PCIE slots (16x16x). Is that a "limitation" from the Z87 in general or just a choice from Asus?

After double checking (and to contradict what I just said above :p), it seems the Maximus VI Hero does have two 16x PCIE ports but I'm not sure, can't find reliable information about it anywhere... (maybe missed it). There's a pic from Anendtech article (pic)

Anyone knows? :)
As far as I know, no motherboard offers two PCIe 3.0 16x, 16x. It's usually cut in half for each gpu added. So if you wanted to SLI or crossfire it would run the Pcie slots as 8x each.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
As far as I know, no motherboard offers two PCIe 3.0 16x, 16x. It's usually cut in half for each gpu added. So if you wanted to SLI or crossfire it would run the Pcie slots as 8x each.

You can get motherboards with things like the PLX chip, which give you extra lanes/bandwidth. Often there's a pretty big price premium.

Smash88

Banned
Looks like I'm going to be taking the Titan.

Apparently I just had to pay UPS an extra $151 for tax and brokerage fees.

Things just get worse and worse for me. This card has costed me so far - I thought I was going to be paying only $1000, but with shipping, taxes, fees, and everything it's turned into a nightmare. Returning it at this point would be insane.

It looks like I have to take the blow this one time. Learnt my lesson that ordering anything (that needs to be shipped) is idiotic. From now on I'm sticking with stores.

I hope someone else learns a lesson from my mistakes as well.

Patience is key.

Someone with a Titan please tell me everything is going to be okay. :(

Paging Dr. Smokey.

Protocol7

I have a Rampage 3 Gene at the moment and it supports dual 16x. That's why I was looking for something similar with the new Haswell ones.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember not long ago when people said that getting a six or eight core CPU wasn't important for gaming, are games down the road going to make more use of extra cores or would four still be just as good?

GPUs are the main factor in determining the quality at which a game can run.

The upswing to this is that you can always upgrade a GPU while a CPU will last you much, much longer if current trends hold.

A $900 budget will be able to run BF4 at respectable settings for sure, especially later this year when prices fall a bit more and sales start ramping up. Note also that your performance is tied to your resolution and FPS. I'm sure you could set the sliders to ultra if your resolution is at 720 and you expect 30 FPS from the game, but that's not typically what people want out of the PC gaming experience.

Best advice I can give you is to wait until the last possible second to build a PC. Sometimes prices won't drop much in that period, but there is always a chance that they will, or that a GPU will be bundled with a copy of the game for example, or something else that you can take advantage of to extend your dollar's purchasing power.

Thanks!

So let's say i pretty much follow that spreadsheet to a T, get a 850~ computer, but scratch off the gpu and got something a lot more expensive and better, would it all be compatabile with the hardware? And from what I took from your post, if i upgrade the GPU, i COULD potentially run on ultra but on a low fps and resolution. The problem with computers is that i am kinda retarded with them, so if you can explain it to me like im five and a half years old, WHAT kind of hardware would i need to have BF4 (or just bf3 as a less extreme example) to run on 60 fps at all times on ultra? Again, i feel like such a noob ass scrub when it comes to questions like these because i DO do the research i just feel like i am not knowledgeable on all these numbers being thrown at me. I feel lost

Smokey

Asrock Extreme 11

Things just get worse and worse for me. This card has costed me so far - I thought I was going to be paying only $1000, but with shipping, taxes, fees, and everything it's turned into a nightmare. Returning it at this point would be insane.

It looks like I have to take the blow this one time. Learnt my lesson that ordering anything (that needs to be shipped) is idiotic. From now on I'm sticking with stores.

Patience is key.

Paging Dr. Smokey.

It'll all go away when you get your system built and see how the Titan destroys any game you throw at it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Am I a fool if I get the EK Titan XXL waterblock/backplate combo? It's easily the most aesthetically pleasing combo in my eyes - I want simple, and I want all black. And I want complete coverage. The XSPC combo was close - but that visible copper when mounted drives me nuts.

I ask cause it's an Acetal + Nickel. Granted, the nickel plating seems to be interior, only, so you can't see anything. But still, I've heard bad things. It seems everything is good nowadays in mid-2013. But I gotta ask before I drop $150 + shipping on it.

Bollocks

ok GAF, I'm not a PC guy, my current CPU is a AMD AthlonII x4 640, can I upgrade that CPU or do I need a new motherboard?

If not my plan is to up the ram to 16gb (from 4gb) and install a ssd.
Good investment or waste of money?

e: welp, max supported ram is 8gb, seems like I have to build a new pc ._.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm looking for an extra hard drive to be used purely as back-up for photos. I'm looking into external hard drives since I will only need to back up a few times a year and don't need to have the drive plugged in at all times. Any recs? Currently looking at the Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB for $90

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Patience is key.

Paging Dr. Smokey.

Where the hell did you order from?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But I have a Titan on the way, too. And the more reviews I read and videos I watch; I think we're both in for a real treat.

Smash88

Banned
Where the hell did you order from?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But I have a Titan on the way, too. And the more reviews I read and videos I watch; I think we're both in for a real treat.

Ordered it from EVGA website. It was the cheapest option, when considering the alternatives of in-store.

Stupid me didn't realize there was a lot more to it.

I payed $1,090.00 for the Titan SC /w Backplate ($20) with shipping and everything. That price is the same for a basic one in a store in Canada. Well the exchange rate of USD to CDN is apparently absurd. Extra $100+ right there. Canadian import fees + brokerage = $151.

It cost me all together $1,300.

When I could have had a GTX 780 for little less than that. Even then if I ordered it off EVGA, (which I probably would've done as I still wouldn't of known about all of the extra shipping fees) I would be paying almost $1,000 with all fees included. So for me the difference in GTX780 and GTX Titan is minimal at this point.

For me to pay another $60 in shipping fees, wait 2 weeks for a refund have that converted, lose money on shipping charges, and god knows what else, and on top of going to a store to buy a GTX 780 (which is $700+ for the custom cooler ones) + 13% tax. I would be paying nearly $850-900.

The GTX 780 despite it being ~10-15% (Based on Anandtech and HardOCP reviews) worse @ 1440p (when compared to the Titan) would not be worth all the shit.

Sanic

I'm interested in getting Haswell at launch, but I've never purchased hardware that early.

Is the OP still up to date in that its launching on the 9th, and then also how do I go about actually ordering on the 9th (or earlier?). Do I just, like, spam f5 on Amazon/newegg like I would anything else?

Smash88

Banned
I'm interested in getting Haswell at launch, but I've never purchased hardware that early.

Is the OP still up to date in that its launching on the 9th, and then also how do I go about actually ordering on the 9th (or earlier?). Do I just, like, spam f5 on Amazon/newegg like I would anything else?

Haswell is launching around June 3rd. So it could be 3rd/4th/5th - depends on the stores really. The 4770k are already leaked in some stores. People have been posting pictures online of the box.

Haswell is launching around June 3rd. So it could be 3rd/4th/5th - depends on the stores really. The 4770k are already leaked in some stores. People have been posting pictures online of the box.
Yeah, not sure where the 9th of June is coming from. Intel are officially unveiling Haswell on the 3rd, I doubt they'd wait 6 days to release it.

Sanic

Oh... So I should just start checking my favorite online store the morning of the 3rd to see if they have it?

Edit: missed your stealth edit.

Smash88

Banned
Oh... So I should just start checking my favorite online store the morning of the 3rd to see if they have it?

Edit: missed your stealth edit.

Start checking. Some stores may immediately start selling on the 3rd. Others may wait a few days. Really depends on the store. I can't confirm for sure.

Although I can confirm that some stores already have them. So I wouldn't be surprised if 12am June 3rd they start popping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom