• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Max

Am I a fool if I get the EK Titan XXL waterblock/backplate combo? It's easily the most aesthetically pleasing combo in my eyes - I want simple, and I want all black. And I want complete coverage. The XSPC combo was close - but that visible copper when mounted drives me nuts.

I ask cause it's an Acetal + Nickel. Granted, the nickel plating seems to be interior, only, so you can't see anything. But still, I've heard bad things. It seems everything is good nowadays in mid-2013. But I gotta ask before I drop $150 + shipping on it.

EK´s nickel plating is still pretty bad, so I wouldn´t do it personally. The biggest problem with bad nickel plating isn´t even that the blocks themselves will look like ass after a while, but moreso that the flaked off nickel will get stuck in other component(s) of the loop. If you want a good nickel plated block you could get a block from aquacomputer, koolance or watercool for example:

http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/15536

Smash88

Banned
Really? Why would they? They'd be eliminating most of their potential sales.

My guess? The bigger stores have a strict date they cannot break, while smaller Computer stores can and will do so. I've seen it happen before, so nothing really surprises me anymore.

Like I said, yesterday there were pictures from a Quebec computer store of 4770k @ $369.99 on the shelf.

My guess? The bigger stores have a strict date they cannot break, while smaller Computer stores can and will do so. I've seen it happen before, so nothing really surprises me anymore.

Like I said, yesterday there were pictures from a Quebec computer store of 4770k @ $369.99 on the shelf.
Thought you were just talking about normal stores and not smaller stores breaking street date.

Does anyone know if SB/IB were released on the same day as their full reveals?

plainr_

Looks like I'm going to be taking the Titan.

Apparently I just had to pay UPS an extra $151 for tax and brokerage fees.

Things just get worse and worse for me. This card has costed me so far - I thought I was going to be paying only $1000, but with shipping, taxes, fees, and everything it's turned into a nightmare. Returning it at this point would be insane.

It looks like I have to take the blow this one time. Learnt my lesson that ordering anything (that needs to be shipped) is idiotic. From now on I'm sticking with stores.

I hope someone else learns a lesson from my mistakes as well.

Patience is key.

Someone with a Titan please tell me everything is going to be okay. :(

Paging Dr. Smokey.

Jeeeezus. $151? You can overnight ship a set of rims for that much. ;)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
EK´s nickel plating is still pretty bad, so I wouldn´t do it personally. The biggest problem with bad nickel plating isn´t even that the blocks themselves will look like ass after a while, but moreso that the flaked off nickel will get stuck in other component(s) of the loop. If you want a good nickel plated block you could get a block from aquacomputer, koolance or watercool for example:

http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/15536

Thanks for the heads up!

That said, ultimately I don't care if the stuff I buy is nickel or not. The reason I liked the EK is because it was a full cover (covered the entirely of the PCB) and had a matching backplate. The only thing close to that from anyone else is XSPC if I want to keep the black aesthetic. I took a look at the glass Aquacomputer one that Mkenyon likes; but it's not full-size, doesn't have a backplate - and for as nice as it looks, I think I'd rather stick with black. But I'm open to other suggestions.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the last of my watercooling parts tonight (outside of tubing/fittings) so that the order is in by tomorrow morning when everyone gets back to work.

I currently have a 360mm and 240mm rad. EK X-Res combo pump/res. I just need blocks and fans.

I had narrowed all my choices down to a few finalists - I want quality stuff with good reviews; but aesthetics also ultimately drove me to these:

Any reason I should hesitate? Thanks!

kennah

He got fucked by UPS Canada and their brokerage fees. The funny thing is if he were to go to their office himself and fill out the paperwork it would be like $20.

However. No matter what. You are going to get dinged a lot of money if you try to import something worth $1,000. I feel for ya Smash I really do. But a lot of the troubles he had were easily avoided.

Smash88

Banned
Do you live on the Moon?

Maybe? I'm not sure what you are trying to get at? I never really order things online. The most ordering I've done is some school books through Amazon Canada.

I know dude, I know.

He got fucked by UPS Canada and their brokerage fees. The funny thing is if he were to go to their office himself and fill out the paperwork it would be like $20.

However. No matter what. You are going to get dinged a lot of money if you try to import something worth $1,000. I feel for ya Smash I really do. But a lot of the troubles he had were easily avoided.

I checked for the fees, and that's a mandatory % that the Canadian government charges. Even if I went to UPS, still would be charged the same.

And I agree with your last paragraph. Like I said, life lesson. I know going forward what to do, and how to handle things - I'm glad I learnt it at 24 years of age, rather than making a $500,000 purchase on a house and dealing with mortgages.

Yeah Mortgages are scary right now. If you need Canada stuff advice later feel free to PM before spending a grand lol

Will do! :D

Colin.

Some peripheral advice needed. I got a Razer mechanical keyboard recently for a very good price, and it feels great. Now I'm looking for the same satisfaction for my mouse. I'm looking for a quality mouse under £50 thats comfortable, good choice of programmable buttons, and smooth movement with good build quality to it. I considered this mouse, but I've heard mixed reports on the build quality of it.

Mad Max

Thanks for the heads up!

That said, ultimately I don't care if the stuff I buy is nickel or not. The reason I liked the EK is because it was a full cover (covered the entirely of the PCB) and had a matching backplate. The only thing close to that from anyone else is XSPC if I want to keep the black aesthetic. I took a look at the glass Aquacomputer one that Mkenyon likes; but it's not full-size, doesn't have a backplate - and for as nice as it looks, I think I'd rather stick with black. But I'm open to other suggestions.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the last of my watercooling parts tonight (outside of tubing/fittings) so that the order is in by tomorrow morning when everyone gets back to work.

I currently have a 360mm and 240mm rad. EK X-Res combo pump/res. I just need blocks and fans.

I had narrowed all my choices down to a few finalists - I want quality stuff with good reviews; but aesthetics also ultimately drove me to these:

Any reason I should hesitate? Thanks!

If you want all black I got nothing else at the moment. I have to say I'd rather get a heatkiller or that aquacomputer block if given the choice, since those blocks are pretty much always near the top of the pack for any given gpu.
Still the XSPC one is probably a decent block, and the temp difference should be quite small between different blocks anyway. So if you're set on black that's probably the way to go.

About the other parts: The supremacy is a good block. I have that exact version, it's a solid performer and very well made.
NB eloops are great fans, so if those phobya versions are the same as the NB branded version they will perform very well.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If you want all black I got nothing else at the moment. I have to say I'd rather get a heatkiller or that aquacomputer block if given the choice, since those blocks are pretty much always near the top of the pack for any given gpu.
Still the XSPC one is probably a decent block, and the temp difference should be quite small between different blocks anyway. So if you're set on black that's probably the way to go.

About the other parts: The supremacy is a good block. I have that exact version, it's a solid performer and very well made.
NB eloops are great fans, so if those phobya versions are the same as the NB branded version they will perform very well.

Thanks!

Think there's any chance I could do the Aquacomputer block and get away with using the EK backplate? I can't seem to find any answers online...

NomarTyme

I need help in figuring out in why am losing about 2 gb of ssd hard space everytime I turn on my computer. the SSD drive is also my OS and program drive.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I remember not long ago when people said that getting a six or eight core CPU wasn't important for gaming, are games down the road going to make more use of extra cores or would four still be just as good?
Dunno yet.
More of the next-gen engines seem to be doing better with multi-threading.

Right now it's hard to really tell and quantify because you are dealing with performance differences per core (AMD vs Intel) and AMD has consumer hexacores and Intel doesn't.
That's amplified by the 99th percentile frame latency as well which seems to heavily favor Intel right now (FPS might be similar, but Intel is smoother).

Even when some benches take into account the Intel hexacores in a gaming benchmark, the differences have been pretty small. Right now it's like 2 or 3 games that it makes a difference, but the FPS is well over the 60 that most people need so it's not a bottleneck.

With desktop speed improvements stagnating for lower power consumption and it not looking like Intel wanting to release a consumer 6-8 core chip I don't think desktops will have a problem as at the very least for console ports since in layterms a ~4Ghz quad core will be fine competing with a 1.8Ghz 8-core.

Core speed is still king.
So what do I do after it calculates my stuff?

It did free up over 2 GB space after analyzing.

Also I free a lot of space because I read on the interweb that I should move the page file sys to my HDD instead my SDD.
Check which files are taking up room, delete or move them. It's a good visual tool.
I moved my page file over to my HDD, frees up space.

Banned
So glad I got a new mobo and cpu. The Sata 6gbps port has doubled my SSD. These are unofficial timings, I used a stop watch lol.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel core i7-3770k (overclocked to 4.2Ghz)
12GB DDR3 RAM

Time it takes for Windows to start up

7200RPM HDD = 32 seconds
120GB OCZ3 Vertex SSD on Sata 3Gbps = 13 seconds
120GB OCZ3 Vertex SSD on Sata 6Gbps = 5 seconds

:)

Now I just need that superclocked GTX 780 and my upgrade for next gen is complete! Muahahaha

Banned

NomarTyme

Check which files are taking up room, delete or move them. It's a good visual tool.
I moved my page file over to my HDD, frees up space.

Oh ok. Also moving the page file to HDD free up about 15 gb for me.

edit also disable hibernate mode because I never used it. It freaking ate up over 11 gb of my ssd memory. :/

Free up about over 25 gb of ssd space. Thank guys!

zeelman

Is there an option in my BIOS so my motherboard stops putting my harddrives to sleep? Its kinda annoying to keep hearing them click on periodically. My motherboard is the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. Google is not helping me.

Skel1ingt0n

YOLO! :p

8861692999_8e72a340bf_c.jpg

I was one part away from going fully EK. I know people don't love them; but I like their aesthetic the best; and everywhere I've looked, outside the nickel stuff, everything reviews toward the top. I just couldn't go with the XSPC block and backplate for my GPU. Ended up going with the smaller block for my Titan, but still getting the backplate which is what you'll see most, anyway.

Also got some rigid e22 acrylic and a single push fitting, just to see how it looks in my case - as the tubing and fittings will likely be my very last purchase.

Got all the accessories I think I could ever need for mounting/hiding wires. I'm sure there's something I'll want - but for the most part, I'd rather pay $25 up front to not have to hit a brick wall every hour when building.

Got some white mayhems dye - gonna see how it looks; but I'm 99% sure I'll be sticking with it.

Got cutters; I have some; but they're covered in gunk - I'd rather have a clean kit.

Got thermal paste - the stuff EK recommends; seems to be decent from what I've read.

Anything I don't use I'll store for next time.

That leaves fans and the aforementioned tubing/fittings. And with that, though, we're all done.

A $1500-$2000 build has ballooned to the $4K mark, lol.

dazzgc

Banned
damn, all of these sites now sold out of 780gtx. are tiger/newegg/microcent usually fast on restocking? or is it all up to nvidia?

knitoe

Is there an option in my BIOS so my motherboard stops putting my harddrives to sleep? Its kinda annoying to keep hearing them click on periodically. My motherboard is the ASUS P8Z77-V LK. Google is not helping me.
Do it through Windows > Power Option > Advanced setup > HDD > select "Sleep" = Never.

damn, all of these sites now sold out of 780gtx. are tiger/newegg/microcent usually fast on restocking? or is it all up to nvidia?
http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx780/

Use the website. Have it send you text and/or email alerts when they come instock. If it's anything like the Titans, they are usually instock daily, but are sold out in ~15-30 min.

Edit: Currently, available on Amazon and Newegg.

Smash88

Banned
[/IMG]http://media.memoryexpress.com/Assets/Promos/Brands/intel/Savings201305/Intel-Savings201305_Banner980.png[/IMG]

Oh Memory Express. I see what you're trying to do and it amuses me :)

mNDFgfW.png

They disabled hotlinking. Re-uploaded for those that are lazy.

Also I'm happy to be part of a large group of people getting new computers. We'll all be new computer bros. :D

Skel1ingt0n

We really need to bring new life to the RACE YOUR PC thread. There was talk about starting up a new one several pages ago. Any news?

mandiller

I have a quick question. What temperature should I not exceed for my GPU when it's at full blow playing games? Also, what's the best free software to measure the temperature of the GPU?

I recently picked up a 2560x1440 monitor and started playing Crysis 3 at native res on my GTX 570. I'm worried about burning down my PC.

Skel1ingt0n

I have a quick question. What temperature should I not exceed for my GPU when it's at full blow playing games? Also, what's the best free software to measure the temperature of the GPU?

I recently picked up a 2560x1440 monitor and started playing Crysis 3 at native res on my GTX 570. I'm worried about burning down my PC.

EVGA Precision X is my go-to for monitoring GPU temps, the on-screen overlay, and general overclocking and voltage tweaks. Along with the built in testing stuff, it's a pretty much perfect solution for anyone.

As for exact temps - anything up to 80c is okay; the lower you go past that is just beneficial for keeping your room cooler especially in the hot summer months.

I had a 570 that hit 90c in intense gaming sessions quite a bit. I chalk it up to a crappy cooler and a relatively hot series in general. That said, it worked flawlessly for about 18 months before I sold it after upgrading.

EDIT: How's your aiflow look? Sometimes just some dusting around your intake/fans, and bumping up to a more agressive fan profile can easily knock 5c+ off your temps.

red731

I use HWMonitor on my laptop and desktop. Setted it up to start win Windows and am happy ever since.

It logs what hardware tempretaure is now and what is the MIN and MAX over the course when the programm is running. (I don't close it ever)

ed: As for monitoring temperatures ingame, I use MSI Afterburner.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

There are Utility links at the bottom of the OP.

MSI Afterburner / GPU-Z
<90C
<80C if possible

Vaporak

So PC-Gaf, my circa 2007 PC just died on me and instead of trying to find and replace parts I'm thinking about building a new one. Suddenly shutting off accompanied by a burnt smell doesn't bode well for salvaging, and it would feel wasteful spending money on parts that old to keep it running anyways. So with money kind of tight I'm looking for something strong enough for current gaming, and extendable for future next gen games, without being too expensive. Any advice?

Right now I'm thinking the following for the core:

i5 3470
Asrock Z75 pro 3
Radeon 7870

Or maybe trying to shave some money off with a weaker GPU and a cheaper AMD cpu. Not sure how linking to newegg wish lists works or I'd just do that. :/

Smash88

Banned
Quick question. Will Z87 motherboards (more specifically: Asus Z87 Sabertooth) support DDR3 2133mhz ram? I've read Haswell can support up to 3200mhz, so I assume that this should be a yes? I just want to confirm. Thanks.

usea

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/usea/saved/1EYr

I mainly use Visual Studio, Photoshop, virtual machines. Unity 3d (game development) is also not out of the question. My main concern is keeping the above things fast, and being able to have several copies of visual studio open, while compiling stuff in a VM. That's why I chose 32gb of ram and an i7, although I'm open to change.

I do play games often, but they're not often the cutting edge graphics type. Even in those, I am fine with turning off shadows, reflections, lighting effects, etc. So I'm not super concerned with gaming performance, but it's still an issue. I play games like L4D2, starcraft 2, street fighter 4, mmos, indie games, etc. I watch a lot of twitch.tv and netflix.

Here, I'll fill out the thing in the OP:
5 Light Gaming
4 Gaming
2 Emulation (PS2/Wii) - not planned, but maybe
1 Video Editing
5 HD Streaming - twitch.tv
3 3D/Model work - unity 3d
5 General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - software development

I don't have a strict budget, but I was hoping it would be under $1k (before buying monitors). I'm a little above that now.

I haven't looked at monitors yet, so I don't know resolution. Monitors now are like 1920x1080 right? Monitor quality is more important to me than size. I currently own an NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2, but it's on its last legs.

I'd like to execute the build as soon as possible, but if I could save a decent amount by waiting a month then I would. I don't plan on overclocking. I'm not reusing any parts from my current computer (maybe sound card? I don't know). I'll probably get some extra case fans, which aren't listed in the build. I prefer to buy from newegg, with amazon as a backup.

I haven't built a computer in 5 years, so I'm very interested in any advice and criticism you guys have.

Addnan

I mainly use Visual Studio, Photoshop, virtual machines. Unity 3d (game development) is also not out of the question. My main concern is keeping the above things fast, and being able to have several copies of visual studio open, while compiling stuff in a VM. That's why I chose 32gb of ram and an i7, although I'm open to change.

I do play games often, but they're not often the cutting edge graphics type. Even in those, I am fine with turning off shadows, reflections, lighting effects, etc. So I'm not super concerned with gaming performance, but it's still an issue. I play games like L4D2, starcraft 2, street fighter 4, mmos, indie games, etc. I watch a lot of twitch.tv and netflix.

5 Light Gaming
4 Gaming
1 Video Editing

I don't have a strict budget, but I was hoping it would be under $1k (before buying monitors). I'm a little above that now.

I haven't looked at monitors yet, so I don't know resolution. Presumably they'll be 1920x1080 or whatever. Monitor quality is important to me. I currently own an NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2, but it's on its last legs.

I'd like to execute the build as soon as possible, but if I could save a decent amount by waiting a month then I would. I don't plan on overclocking. I'm not reusing any parts from my current computer (maybe sound card? I don't know). I'll probably get some extra case fans, which aren't listed in the build.

I haven't built a computer in 5 years, so I'm very interested in any advice and criticism you guys have.
Best thing to do right now is wait until next week and see what the new Haswell line up offers before deciding on anything. The 4770K will be a good i7 chip and priced similarly to that.

Lethal

Neo Member
So I built a cheap PC for my girl so we could play Diablo together at home, but the 650Ti Boost I put in seems a touch warm for a DX9-based game.

Usually runs ~70C during play. Goes as high as 75C at times. Cpu stays under 50C with stock cooler so dont think its a case problem. In the same room, my GB 670 runs at around 40C.

Are these temps ok for this card? Its the Inno3D model with 2 fans.

Ty4on

So I built a cheap PC for my girl so we could play Diablo together at home, but the 650Ti Boost I put in seems a touch warm for a DX9-based game.

Usually runs ~70C during play. Goes as high as 75C at times. Cpu stays under 50C with stock cooler so dont think its a case problem. In the same room, my GB 670 runs at around 40C.

Graphics cards usually run hotter. They use more power and have less space for a cooler, but they are designed to run at a temp they can operate at and will throttle or shut down if they get too hot. I think Kepler may throttle at 70, but temps up to 90 even isn't very uncommon for GPUs. Mine hit 102 :p

Edit: The 3570k and 3770k are two powerful CPUs, but their TDP is just 77W while the most powerful GPUs have TDPs of 200-250. If it scares you try limiting the frame rate as it's maybe making 100 frames for a 60hz (I think) screen.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So PC-Gaf, my circa 2007 PC just died on me and instead of trying to find and replace parts I'm thinking about building a new one. Suddenly shutting off accompanied by a burnt smell doesn't bode well for salvaging, and it would feel wasteful spending money on parts that old to keep it running anyways. So with money kind of tight I'm looking for something strong enough for current gaming, and extendable for future next gen games, without being too expensive. Any advice?

Right now I'm thinking the following for the core:

i5 3470
Asrock Z75 pro 3
Radeon 7870

Or maybe trying to shave some money off with a weaker GPU and a cheaper AMD cpu. Not sure how linking to newegg wish lists works or I'd just do that. :/
Used 2500K or 3570K + a Z77 mobo. 7850 or 7950. (7870XT if you can find one)
Quick question. Will Z87 motherboards (more specifically: Asus Z87 Sabertooth) support DDR3 2133mhz ram? I've read Haswell can support up to 3200mhz, so I assume that this should be a yes? I just want to confirm. Thanks.
Officially I think so, it would anyway though.

Fine. You can check and create a fan profile with MSI Afterburner.

5 Light Gaming
4 Gaming
1 Video Editing

I haven't looked at monitors yet, so I don't know resolution. Monitors now are like 1920x1080 right? Monitor quality is more important to me than size. I currently own an NEC MultiSync 20WMGX2, but it's on its last legs.

I'd like to execute the build as soon as possible, but if I could save a decent amount by waiting a month then I would. I don't plan on overclocking. I'm not reusing any parts from my current computer (maybe sound card? I don't know). I'll probably get some extra case fans, which aren't listed in the build. I prefer to buy from newegg, with amazon as a backup.

Pop back in a week after we have Haswell information and pricing to work with.

Do you know if any of your software is GPU accelerated and whether nVidia or AMD works better?
Do you plan on STREAMING to Twitch, or just watching?
Samsung 840 Pro over the M4.

Amazon > Newegg imo.

Lethal

Neo Member
Fine. You can check and create a fan profile with MSI Afterburner.

Yeah, so I've tested custom profiles with Afterburner and I have concluded that even setting the fans at 100% at 50C doesnt make much difference. I guess if 70+ degrees is fine then problem solved. Thanks guys.

Will probably grab a 770 for my rig and put my Windforce 670 into her machine anyway. Can give the Boost to my brother.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
My seven year old PC's motherboard died on me, so now it's defenitely time for a new PC. And if i'm buying one, I wanna do it right.
I'm sorry, poor wallet.

This is what we've put together.

So happy! :D
Kinda new to PC Gaming and i've still got a lot to learn about that and PC's in general, but i'm bloody happy to do that. The waiting is killing me, though. Some part's arent in till Friday next week. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom