• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

B0HICAH

Neo Member
Try bumping up the voltage a tad on the video card with MSI afterburner or a similar program.

MSI Afterburner won't let me change the voltage. Happen to know of another way/program to do it? And, apologies, but how much is a tad? I don't want to fry anything :D

Irobot82

MSI Afterburner won't let me change the voltage. Happen to know of another way/program to do it? And, apologies, but how much is a tad? I don't want to fry anything :D

In afterburner go to setting and in the general tab make sure Unlock voltage control and unlock voltage monitoring are checked.

scogoth

I think he's being honest. This is the guy that destroys RAM in order to get gold heatsinks.

Next thing you know, he'll be using an ECS board.

I said style over value not style over quality. Making good progress though, just test fit the blocks with dinoc, should be able to put everything together tomorrow or saturday.

9ZKeUSC.jpg

kennah

Hmmm. It would cost the same to get a Bitfenix Prodigy and board as the Sabretooth.....

The Orange one is super rad

What's a fair asking price for a Lian Li PC-60?

bananas

Banned
I purchased my case, motherboard, cpu, gpu, cooler, memory, ssd.

BUT FORGOT THE PSU!!! Now I have to wait until next week until I can build it. :p Oh well.

I can't wait to see mkenyon's finished PC build.

Meanwhile I got two builds that I'm tweaking up until may, when I'll pull the trigger:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.19 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£49.81 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard (£117.56 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£55.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.95 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£165.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Silverstone SST-SG08B Mini ITX Desktop Case w/600W Power Supply
Other: Silverstone SST-SG08B Mini ITX desktop case (£167.98)
Total: £804.65

Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£43.98 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£51.95 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Plextor M3 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£51.60 @ Aria PC)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.39 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£78.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £785.24

Which one should I go with?

scogoth

Meanwhile I got two builds that I'm tweaking up until may, when I'll pull the trigger:

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£78.78 @ Scan.co.uk)

Option 2

Smokey

woo ordered some new toys for the first time in a while:

Steelseries Sensei Raw mouse
Logitech G710+ keyboard

Been using these same crusty Razer keyboard+mouse combo for nearly two years and it shows!

Also kind of hit me earlier that my 580s might be getting a bit long in the tooth. Hope Titan really hits at the end of this month...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If my next video card can't play Fallout New Vegas with all of my mods on high settings, I will hang myself with a usb cord.

I'm not familiar with the latest mods, but aren't they collectively really heavy? You could get ridiculous 4K-8K texture mods stacked with mesh improvements and other enhancements not designed to fit within the game engine.

DTKT

The Sensei Raw mouse clicks are a bit weird. They feel weirdly loose and they "give in" slightly if you push the edge. It's just a strange feeling coming from the MX518 which had very strong mouse clicks.

Nekrono

You can turn down the page file but make sure you hit the "set" button to make the changes take. Might ask you for a reboot.

I'm also referring to virtual memory in advanced settings.

So should I just disable it by selecting ""No paging file"? Nothing is going to break/under perform if I do?

These are my current settings, I think I brought it down to 2000 from 4000 or something like that.

Z1l.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Cross post from B/S/T:
Selling

EVGA GTX 670 FTW - 4GB VRAM - $300 shipped to US48, extra to Canada/AK/HI

KNf7ME1.jpg

Fresh back in the stock cooler, this card was under water since I've had it. Max temp I had it at was 42C, so it's been well taken care of. The warranty is through the serial number and does not require registration. The only hard stress testing I did was an evening of 3DMark when I first bought it (and it's two siblings).

I just finished a stress run, 30 minutes of Uniengine Heaven on loop. Max temp was 69C, ambient is 20C. This is on an open air bench.

Included, if you wish, is an EK GTX 670 Nickel block with EK backplate for $40 ($130 new).

lEBBch.jpg

JXXIAh.jpg

This price is GAF-only, will be asking $325 + $100 (waterblock) on a few other sites in a day or two. Wanting to move it fast, and help out the community. Gotta get ready for Titan.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So should I just disable it by selecting ""No paging file"? Nothing is going to break/under perform if I do?

These are my current settings, I think I brought it down to 2000 from 4000 or something like that.

Z1l.jpg

You're running an SSD right?

If the SSD is the C drive, disable the memory for that and use it for your data drive. For example, I use 16-16000MB on my HDD but nothing on my SSD.

On a separate note, the build was finalized today after tinkering and making sure I had the final chasis fan powered. Crudge Vita pic and semi good cable management.

2013-02-07-20211657b6p.jpg

The only really nitpick for me is the Corsair link cable that goes out from the CPU overlay out as it needs to be plugged into a USB connector on the MB. Other than that, I feel really good about my wire management considering how many different cables I'm running for fans plus dual GPU's and SATA drives.

My final settings...

4.6ghz 3930k
2133mhz RAM with 9-10-10-21 1t timings@1.5v

The rest of the specs are nice but the 2 main ones that matter are there. I do have a modest OC on the 670's going as well.

mkenyon

Banned
I said style over value not style over quality. Making good progress though, just test fit the blocks with dinoc, should be able to put everything together tomorrow or saturday.
Those look 1000% better than the stock ones. In modding, the tricky part is to make it look natural. Bravo.

I'm partial to the Prodigy. It's small, but it leaves a ton more options compared to other ITX cases because it's not *as* small.

I'd go for #2 but swap out the the PSU for anything in the OP.

*edit*

Also, thanks. Probably won't be finished up until sometime in March.
Or carbon fiber red?

colors_ca5429.jpg
Wat.

Hanzou

You're running an SSD right?

If the SSD is the C drive, disable the memory for that and use it for your data drive. For example, I use 16-16000MB on my HDD but nothing on my SSD.

On a separate note, the build was finalized today after tinkering and making sure I had the final chasis fan powered. Crudge Vita pic and semi good cable management.

2013-02-07-20211657b6p.jpg

The only really nitpick for me is the Corsair link cable that goes out from the CPU overlay out as it needs to be plugged into a USB connector on the MB. Other than that, I feel really good about my wire management considering how many different cables I'm running for fans plus dual GPU's and SATA drives.

My final settings...

4.6ghz 3930k
2133mhz RAM with 9-10-10-21 1t timings@1.5v

The rest of the specs are nice but the 2 main ones that matter are there. I do have a modest OC on the 670's going as well.

Are you saying to not put the swap on the SSD, If you have a page file it should be on the ssd.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Recently got myself a pretty sizable gift card, so now I'm interested in grabbing an SSD. Has the Samsung 840 Pro gone on sale for any significant amount or is the price on Amazon/Microcenter as good as it gets? Looking at a 256gb for around $220.

EDIT: Nvm, forgot that PCPartPicker has price tracking. Seems it went down to $200 in the past but this still seems pretty nice. Probably just gonna grab it then. :p

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'm not familiar with the latest mods, but aren't they collectively really heavy? You could get ridiculous 4K-8K texture mods stacked with mesh improvements and other enhancements not designed to fit within the game engine.

Nah, its just that the particular ones I am choosing make the game a little more busy. Everything runs smooth if I have it on low settings. Of course, it looks bad though.

NoRéN

Recently got myself a pretty sizable gift card, so now I'm interested in grabbing an SSD. Has the Samsung 840 Pro gone on sale for any significant amount or is the price on Amazon/Microcenter as good as it gets? Looking at a 256gb for around $220.

EDIT: Nvm, forgot that PCPartPicker has price tracking. Seems it went down to $200 in the past but this still seems pretty nice. Probably just gonna grab it then. :p

Looks like it was $200 about 2 weeks ago.

mkenyon

Banned
I think I'm going to go for the Prodigy. Wife thinks it is pretty. Now to drop the Asus bomb... (Need all the sata ports)
Edit. Shit didn't notice their clearance

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Clearance/Item/b815e925-9308-4db2-b9ca-8be3adf43d79

P67 sabretooth for $170

P8z77 -LK for $105 too

Or a maximum IV for $200 hmmmm
Go ATX, you like to test and tinker.
Shot of the Geforce Titan PCB and more info*

Will be powered by a 8 pin and 6 pin connector for a total power draw of 300w, but may actually be lower than that at around the 235-250w range.

And it's Quad SLI ready. mmmmmm

*Could be a fake shot and it all still falls under rumor!
Upgrayedd.

When you say Quad SLI, say it like the Q3A guy says Quad Damage. Feels good.

GAF, what's my weakest link?

MB: ASRock P67 PRO3
CPU: 2500k @ 4.1
GPU: 1 GB Twin Frozr 560 TI, core clock @ 975, shaders @ 1950
RAM: 2x4 GB 1.25V 1600 MHz G.Skill Sniper
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 700 W
SSD-OS: Vertex 2 40 GB
SSD-Other: Intel 120 GB
Sound: Xonar DG

Using a single 60 Hz, 1080p monitor. Thinking the GPU would be the potential bottleneck?

Koroviev

GAF, what's my weakest link?

MB: ASRock P67 PRO3
CPU: 2500k @ 4.1
GPU: 1 GB Twin Frozr 560 TI, core clock @ 975, shaders @ 1950
RAM: 2x4 GB 1.25V 1600 MHz G.Skill Sniper
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 700 W
SSD-OS: Vertex 2 40 GB
SSD-Other: Intel 120 GB
Sound: Xonar DG

Using a single 60 Hz, 1080p monitor. Thinking the GPU would be the potential bottleneck?

Needs more SSD.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Cross post from B/S/T:

~nice hardware~

Awesome price. Am I correct in assuming this is the FTW+ edition, just without the backplate? Meaning 1006MHz clockspeed?

I have to say, I'm having transformative experience after transformative exp with this new machine. Before this, I had yet to use an actual PC with an SSD. Now this thing boots from the cold in three seconds at most. I don't even see the little blue windows loading sign; I see the bios splash screen, then the Win8 login screen. I love it so much.

+1

My mind was completely blown when i first saw it on my machine (even now i will do a double take at times).

And as said before the SSD has entered the hallowed halls of redefining the computing experience for me (along with more memory and high speed internet)

Momentary

Banned
Right now the 900D is winning out on what I'm going to choose from just because of price and how easy it seems to work with. But these are the cases that I've had my eye on for a while now. I'll be back in the states on the 23rd, but I'm hoping to start ordering soon and just have everything sent over to my fiance's house. I give myself a week... or until the 900D hits the streets to decide. From my standpoint 900D seems to be the better bang for your buck if you're like me and this is your first major watercooling build. If anyone else has any input I would love to hear it before I start slapping down the green-backs for all this equipment.

Corsair 900D
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1R8JT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Case Labs SMH 10
http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-smh10/

Little Devil PC-V8
http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/18-atx-hptx

LIttle Devil PC-V7
http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/66-ld-pc-v7

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Right now the 900D is winning out on what I'm going to choose from just because of price and how easy it seems to work with. But these are the cases that I've had my eye on for a while now. I'll be back in the states on the 23rd, but I'm hoping to start ordering soon and just have everything sent over to my fiance's house. I give myself a week... or until the 900D hits the streets to decide. From my standpoint 900D seems to be the better bang for your buck if you're like me and this is your first major watercooling build. If anyone else has any input I would love to hear it before I start slapping down the green-backs for all this equipment.

Corsair 900D

Case Labs SMH 10

Little Devil PC-V8

LIttle Devil PC-V7

I'm almost certain the 900D will be the case I choose for my next build. Finally a massive, huge, square and sharp case that has great cable management and a beautiful window with a wonderful fan/intake layout. It relaly looks like everything I want.

That said, have you considered the Cosmos II? It's pretty much the circle-y equivalent of the 900D.

Momentary

Banned
I'm almost certain the 900D will be the case I choose for my next build. Finally a massive, huge, square and sharp case that has great cable management and a beautiful window with a wonderful fan/intake layout. It relaly looks like everything I want.

That said, have you considered the Cosmos II? It's pretty much the circle-y equivalent of the 900D.

I have. I've been looking at it since last summer. But the more I look at it, the less I want it. I guess I've just grown into liking the more sharper edged, straight, clean cases that don't look flashy.

lmpaler

Oh my gee, this is the perfect thread for me!

GAF, I am getting a sizable tax return this year, while I do not wish to blow the ENTIRE thing on a new rig, a good chunk I am considering putting towards it. Here is my situation:

It has been a considerable amount of time since I seriously gamed in the PC space, my laptop for school held me over with TF2, and some older games or WoW on the rare event, but now I want to come back screaming. I whipped together a rig on Newegg and I think it is good(I used Tom's as a guide for best bang for the buck), but I am always willing to make changes before I purchase in hopes of an overall better gaming rig.

CPU: i5-3470 IVY BRIDGE
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155($35 off combo deal with the CPU atm)
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR3 1600 1.5V
STORAGE: MUSHKIN 60GB SSD(OS), WD 1TB 7200RPM(GAME)
PSU: CORSAIR HX850 850W
GPU: GIGABYTE 7870 2GB HD GHZ EDITION(X2)
CASE: ANTEC 900
DVD: LITE-ON DVD BURNER

Total cost, before shipping, $1518(rounding to the nearest dollar). This is slightly over my intended budget by $18, but on paper it seems good to me. My goal was to have a considerable margin over 60fps at 1080P to have a more consistently smooth gaming experience, my biggest peeve back in the day was constantly dropping from 60+ to 30-40 in games as it took me out of the experience.

Also I plan on gaming on my 46" Plasma HDTV that I use for my PS3 so I will be running my rig via HDMI to the TV and playing on my couch via wireless KB/Mouse(which I already own). I do not need a headset out of the gate as I hardly talk online as it is and I intend to play more single player games, Far Cry, Skyrim, Witcher etc. for the time being. When I feel it is needed I will purchase one down the road.

Thank you in advance for your helpful advice in this matter.

Skel1ingt0n

I have. I've been looking at it since last summer. But the more I look at it, the less I want it. I guess I've just grown into liking the more sharper edged, straight, clean cases that don't look flashy.

I feel ya; that's why I like Corsair's offering so much.

Corsair 900D

Case Labs SMH 10

Little Devil PC-V8

LIttle Devil PC-V7

Get the 900D.

Koroviev

+1

My mind was completely blown when i first saw it on my machine (even now i will do a double take at times).

And as said before the SSD has entered the hallowed halls of redefining the computing experience for me (along with more memory and high speed internet)

They can be a hard sell for people who've never experienced the speed and responsiveness. I will almost always champion a 128GB+ SSD over a 1TB HDD if a decision needs to be made.

Jzero

How would you guys 'Cool Down' a flashdrive? I see a lot of USB 3.0 drives from different brands getting weak reviews because they die from too much heat.

mkenyon

Banned

Corsair 900D

Case Labs SMH 10

Little Devil PC-V8

LIttle Devil PC-V7
How about the Case labs SM8? I think in a lot of ways, it is superior to the LD. But, I'm personally not huge on the aesthetics. I do get the allure though.

$350 for a case with all the extras that the 900D has seems low. Too low. No one has touched a final sample, but the Corsair has a steel frame and will lack the machining details that the LD and CL cases have. It certainly hits the features check boxes though.

GAF, I am getting a sizable tax return this year, while I do not wish to blow the ENTIRE thing on a new rig, a good chunk I am considering putting towards it. Here is my situation:
OP Guide > Toms Guide. There's a number of part selections I'd change to get it more in line with the OP.
Awesome price. Am I correct in assuming this is the FTW+ edition, just without the backplate? Meaning 1006MHz clockspeed?
It has the backplate as well. They ran comfortably at 1150MHz 24/7, max clock was 1205 IIRC. Though, I haven't maxed each one separately, so it could have been any one of the three that had the limit.

They can be a hard sell for people who've never experienced the speed and responsiveness. I will almost always champion a 128GB+ SSD over a 1TB HDD if a decision needs to be made.

it was for me as well due to the price to size ratio but once that started to go down (deals, deals everywhere) i just said "fuck it".

i personally thought it was worth it. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

It has been a considerable amount of time since I seriously gamed in the PC space, my laptop for school held me over with TF2, and some older games or WoW on the rare event, but now I want to come back screaming. I whipped together a rig on Newegg and I think it is good(I used Tom's as a guide for best bang for the buck), but I am always willing to make changes before I purchase in hopes of an overall better gaming rig.

CPU: i5-3470 IVY BRIDGE
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155($35 off combo deal with the CPU atm)
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR3 1600 1.5V
STORAGE: MUSHKIN 60GB SSD(OS), WD 1TB 7200RPM(GAME)
PSU: CORSAIR HX850 850W
GPU: GIGABYTE 7870 2GB HD GHZ EDITION(X2)
CASE: ANTEC 900
DVD: LITE-ON DVD BURNER

Total cost, before shipping, $1518(rounding to the nearest dollar). This is slightly over my intended budget by $18, but on paper it seems good to me. My goal was to have a considerable margin over 60fps at 1080P to have a more consistently smooth gaming experience, my biggest peeve back in the day was constantly dropping from 60+ to 30-40 in games as it took me out of the experience.

Also I plan on gaming on my 46" Plasma HDTV that I use for my PS3 so I will be running my rig via HDMI to the TV and playing on my couch via wireless KB/Mouse(which I already own). I do not need a headset out of the gate as I hardly talk online as it is and I intend to play more single player games, Far Cry, Skyrim, Witcher etc. for the time being. When I feel it is needed I will purchase one down the road.

Thank you in advance for your helpful advice in this matter.
Gonna do a quick run down, but see the OP. It sounds like you'll be keeping the system for a long time?

I'd swap things up with a 3770K, one of the boards in the OP, one of the SSDs in the OP, a 750W PSU (hx750, ax750, h750), a case other than a 900 unless you really like how it looks, and dual 7950's (Not that much of a bump in price).

It would help if you filled out the sheet in the OP so people can help understand what you'd be using it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom