• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossfire doesn't have 1 frame of input lag like SLI does. That's also why it can appear more stuttery at times. Definitely a give and take there.

Hey MK where can I read up more about SLI input lag? Been doing a search and I can't find hard data... esp. on the 600 series cards.

I love mine. I have it on a max overclock and under H20 and it runs like a champ! It is a great card with an outstanding build quality.

I really want one :/ my 7870's aren't maxing out many games at 1440p. Also want to downsample and AMD cant do that at the latest drivers and even then it doesn't seem to want to work for me.

I need to think about what I can sell to raise money for it, I would probably need a new PSU as well while I am at it so thats another £120. So I am looking at around £920 altogether.

Jeez...

JayDub

Haz or mken,

Im looking to put in an H100 or Kraken X60 in a Bitfenix Prodigy case w/ a GTX 690 and 3570k. Ill be OC'ing the CPU as high as it will safely go, hoping for 4.0+.

Is an HX650 good enough to power it?

Hi everyone!

Long time PC gamer with a need for your assistance here.

My idea is this: when Haswell comes out, I'll do an upgrade of my current gaming PC:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz (OC @ 3.2GHz)
8GB DDR2 RAM
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
Corsair HX520 PSU
etc.
all inside Antec P183 case.

My plan is to upgrade to:
CPU: Haswell something in the line of i5-3570K
MBO
RAM: 8-16GB DDR3
SSD
cooling (Corsair H80 or something similar)

My questions are these:

- how "future proof" is my GPU? Especially when I upgrade to the new PC? I'm talking about playing current and future games at 1080p/60fps and maxed out (or close to max out) settings?

- if I get a 27" monitor, what chance to I have of playing any games on it's native resolution 2560x1440? Does any 27" monitor have 1:1 pixel scaling (so I can play demanding games on lower resolutions)?

Appreciate the help.

AkIRA_22

has anyone else used the new 3D mark? I just an it then and..... well not good. which is to be expected for a brand new 3D mark. looks like a OCed 930 and 2x7970s isn't enough.

Hi everyone!

Long time PC gamer with a need for your assistance here.

My idea is this: when Haswell comes out, I'll do an upgrade of my current gaming PC:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz (OC @ 3.2GHz)
8GB DDR2 RAM
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
Corsair HX520 PSU
etc.
all inside Antec P183 case.

My plan is to upgrade to:
CPU: Haswell something in the line of i5-3570K
MBO
RAM: 8-16GB DDR3
SSD
cooling (Corsair H80 or something similar)

My questions are these:

- how "future proof" is my GPU? Especially when I upgrade to the new PC? I'm talking about playing current and future games at 1080p/60fps and maxed out (or close to max out) settings?

- if I get a 27" monitor, what chance to I have of playing any games on it's native resolution 2560x1440? Does any 27" monitor have 1:1 pixel scaling (so I can play demanding games on lower resolutions)?

Appreciate the help.

Playing at 1080p the 7850 should be fine, maybe have to drop a few settings on demanding games though.

Playing at 1440p though is a no go. Speaking from experience, I had 1 7870 when I first bought mine and games weren't playing very well. Essentially playing at 1440p I would recommend two GPU's. Two 7850's should be okay but I find I am still having to drop settings sometimes to get it to run smoothly on my 2 7870's.

stufte

If are you gaming at 2560x1440+ what are the frame rates like?

downsampling @ 3072x1920 on a 1920x1200 native res monitor and most everything is pegged out at 60fps (60Hz refresh rate) Metro 2033 is the only game I've seen go below 50fps with all settings at max.

*edit* I've also not overclocked my GPU at all.

downsampling @ 3072x1920 on a 1920x1200 native res monitor and most everything is pegged out at 60fps (60Hz refresh rate) Metro 2033 is the only game I've seen go below 50fps with all settings at max.

*edit* I've also not overclocked my GPU at all.

Thats beautiful, I am going to have to do some calculations today I think and work out how to afford it :p

Playing at 1080p the 7850 should be fine, maybe have to drop a few settings on demanding games though.

Playing at 1440p though is a no go. Speaking from experience, I had 1 7870 when I first bought mine and games weren't playing very well. Essentially playing at 1440p I would recommend two GPU's. Two 7850's should be okay but I find I am still having to drop settings sometimes to get it to run smoothly on my 2 7870's.
That was my conclusion as well, I just wanted to see other people's opinion.

How about that monitor scaling? playing games at 1080p on 27" screen with and without pixel scaling? Does it work? Suggestions, etc.

That was my conclusion as well, I just wanted to see other people's opinion.

How about that monitor scaling? playing games at 1080p on 27" screen with and without pixel scaling? Does it work? Suggestions, etc.

I honestly have no idea about monitor scaling hopefully someone else can probably help you in that department.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Im just worried that an AX850 wont fit.
'From what i know with a bit of pushing a Cosair ax 850 will fit in the Bitfenix Prodigy, any power supplies up to 160mm' taken from a user on the prodigy owners club on Overclock.net
Yeah 160mm is the standard. The AX850 actually seems to be 150mm!
Haz or mken,

Im looking to put in an H100 or Kraken X60 in a Bitfenix Prodigy case w/ a GTX 690 and 3570k. Ill be OC'ing the CPU as high as it will safely go, hoping for 4.0+.

Technically, but I'll repeat something I've said before. If you are dropping $1000 on a GPU, spend a tiny bit more on the PSU. Account for power delivery, degradation, and make sure you have 100% peace of mind.

I've been running a Kill-A-Watt on my PC to see idle and load usage and I know how shockingly low modern dual GPU setups and be, but I'd still leave a very healthy amount of overhead personally.

JayDub

Yeah 160mm is the standard. The AX850 actually seems to be 150mm!

Technically, but I'll repeat something I've said before. If you are dropping $1000 on a GPU, spend a tiny bit more on the PSU. Account for power delivery, degradation, and make sure you have 100% peace of mind.

I've been running a Kill-A-Watt on my PC to see idle and load usage and I know how shockingly low modern dual GPU setups and be, but I'd still leave a very healthy amount of overhead personally.

Oh I agree 100%. I wasn't skimping on the PSU, just worried that it wouldn't fit. Seeing other Prodigy builds, the HX650 was in a lot of them.

So, is the AX850 good enough to leave some overhead?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh I agree 100%. I wasn't skimping on the PSU, just worried that it wouldn't fit. Seeing other Prodigy builds, the HX650 was in a lot of them.

So, is the AX850 good enough to leave some overhead?
Waaaaaaaaay more than enough. It's also (tmk) still Seasonic based, while the current HX650 is a very nicely done CWT unit. I'd take the Seasonic one still. The AX750 is also solid, but call me crazy, I'd spend $20 more. I know I shouldn't, but I'd do it :[

JayDub

Waaaaaaaaay more than enough. It's also (tmk) still Seasonic based, while the current HX650 is a very nicely done CWT unit. I'd take the Seasonic one still. The AX750 is also solid, but call me crazy, I'd spend $20 more. I know I shouldn't, but I'd do it :[

Ha! That was my EXACT line of thinking. Especially on Amazon, where you can choose between the 2 on the same page. Hard to argue with a $20 difference.

I'd consider the Seasonic if its a better quality. I just need it to fit.

Ty4on

Ha! That was my EXACT line of thinking. Especially on Amazon, where you can choose between the 2 on the same page. Hard to argue with a $20 difference.

Maybe a strange advice, but have you thought about semi/non modular PSUs? Should fit better and there is space on the right for extra cables. Anandtech said this about 160mm PSUs, but I don't know what Prodigy builders here think.
Our testbed power supply is 160mm, but the modular connectors make it impossible to actually fit inside the power supply bay, and I suspect even a non-modular 160mm PSU would be a tight fit at best. As a result I wound up re-using the SFX power supply from the SilverStone FT03 Mini with an adapter plate, and the much smaller power supply made cabling worlds easier. I feel like if anything about the Prodigy is going to hang up end users, this will be it, so buyer beware: if you're planning a build in this case, get a 140mm power supply. Honestly even going the route I did and using an SFX power supply with an adaptor wouldn't be a bad idea.
BTW, even if you had a single GPU set up that SFX PSU would be a bad idea because it is pretty loud with a 1300RPM IDLE speed.

Edit: Currently testing my overclock, but I set vcore at 1.2 and Load-Line Calibration on level 3 (middle, 50%) and CPUZ shows 1.208-1.216 while core temp shows 1.286. Should I just ignore that?

I need some help I doubt you guys can answer but I am desperate :p I have a Devolo Dlan 200 Wireless N powerline adaptors and all of a sudden they stopped working. The dlink led isn't on on either of my receivers. The dlink led is the one that indicates data is being sent. I cant find anything anywhere on the dlink light not turning on. Anybody have any ideas?

Sucks I just had a Microserver delivered and as soon as I get it out the box and start transferring the OS to my memory stick the internet went. I haven't had the best of luck the past few days.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

AX850 is 150mm which is recommended. Apparently 160mm PSUs will fit, but it's not a good time.
I think the monitor will be the last piece I purchase. I'm holding out on a 27-30 inch monitor that has 1440p@120HZ to pop out of nowhere.

Hell I may just say screw it. Samsung has this: http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led/LS27B970DS/ZN

And they stopped selling their 27 inch 120hz monitor on new egg. They have it listed as discontinued. So I'm hoping Samsung is planning to bring out series 10 monitors soon.
You could always purchase a new or used 27" Korean IPS that has proven it can be overclocked to 100-120Hz if you really want to.

Anyone with the Coolmaster HAF 912 case know if it's possible to remove the lower drive bays without completely dissembling the case?

I want to remove them because they're unused and in the middle of my air flow, but it looks like I would maybe have to go as far as unscrewing my motherboard to get them out.

Koroviev

Do I need anything special to hook up a 120Hz monitor? My current displayed is hooked up using an HDMI cable.

Edit: yep, looks like I need to order a dvi-d cable.

Whooter

Okay, so I want to overlcock my 3770k and this is what I'm looking at in the BIOS

nqrxoOZ.png

I'm assuming (from reading around) that I want to play with the "CPU Ratio" to get the speed up. What other settings do I need to mess with, if any? I'm not interested in extreme OCing, just enough to get rid of microstutter/frame latency and whatnot.

Is there a simple answer? I've tried Googling around and looking through Overclock.net but some of the articles there make my head spin...

I've got at 3770 that I want to overclock as far as possible. What's possible with stock cooling, and what's a compact cooling solution if I want to take it to 4.5ghz?

Noaloha

has anyone else used the new 3D mark? I just an it then and..... well not good. which is to be expected for a brand new 3D mark. looks like a OCed 930 and 2x7970s isn't enough.

I'm throwing my 7970 back in my PC tonight so I've been reading around a little to see if the 13.2 Beta drivers are holding up (any opinions anyone?). I noticed a few stories from the past few days that Crossfire AMD cards were a little screwy on the new 3DMark. AMD have released a revised Beta that they say fixes the issue.

Here you, go, first example I found. Might want to try dancing the old driver shuffle with the latest one and seeing what that does for you.

Smokey

AX850 is 150mm which is recommended. Apparently 160mm PSUs will fit, but it's not a good time.

You could always purchase a new or used 27" Korean IPS that has proven it can be overclocked to 100-120Hz if you really want to.

I thought there was some kind of "catch" to doing this though?

Ok, I have been blowing through this thread page after page, and have even asked a few random questions. I think I am at the point now where I am ready to commit (as in; trip to Micro Center after work).

I am looking for a system that will be able to handle Oculus Rift stuff in a couple of months. By the sounds of it, Oculus renders 2 seperate images and requires 60fps, which sounds perfect for an SLI setup. I'm also quite interested in downsampling some older games. I found a great deal on a pair of 670 GTX from a fellow GAFer (thanks g35twinturbo) so the hard part is done.

I'm upgrading from/replacing an AMD Phenom II X3 /w AMD Radeon 4870 1gb build so entry level doesn't make too much sense as I am not far off. I'm leaning heavily towards "Enthusiast" and beyond as per the OP.

CPU: 3770k or 3570k (game time decision)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Power Supply: Corsair AX850
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
RAM: 4x4gb Corsair 1600mhz 1.5v
HDD: 640gb WD Black (the only item I am salvaging from my previous system)
SSD: Intel 335 240gb (I really like the intel ssd software.)

I feel fairly confident in my decisions, but I do have a part of me that wants to spend the extra $50 on a Bitfenix Shinobi XL and possibly go with the Corsair H100i LCS instead of the H80i.

The one thing I hate most about my current build is that it's in an Antec 300 case (a classic in its own right ... but hard to work inside). I wonder if the HAF 922 will be big enough for me to feel like I have some room.

I'm confident at the price points of my choices. I don't need to spend less, or want to spend more, but I am posting to get some feedback. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on my choices.

Smokey

Ok, I have been blowing through this thread page after page, and have even asked a few random questions. I think I am at the point now where I am ready to commit (as in; trip to Micro Center after work).

I am looking for a system that will be able to handle Oculus Rift stuff in a couple of months. By the sounds of it, Oculus renders 2 seperate images and requires 60fps, which sounds perfect for an SLI setup. I'm also quite interested in downsampling some older games. I found a great deal on a pair of 670 GTX from a fellow GAFer (thanks g35twinturbo) so the hard part is done.

I'm upgrading from/replacing an AMD Phenom II X3 /w AMD Radeon 4870 1gb build so entry level doesn't make too much sense as I am not far off. I'm leaning heavily towards "Enthusiast" and beyond as per the OP.

CPU: 3770k or 3570k (game time decision)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Power Supply: Corsair AX850
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
RAM: 4x4gb Corsair 1600mhz 1.5v
HDD: 640gb WD Black (the only item I am salvaging from my previous system)
SSD: Intel 335 240gb (I really like the intel ssd software.)

I feel fairly confident in my decisions, but I do have a part of me that wants to spend the extra $50 on a Bitfenix Shinobi XL and possibly go with the Corsair H100i LCS instead of the H80i.

The one thing I hate most about my current build is that it's in an Antec 300 case (a classic in its own right ... but hard to work inside). I wonder if the HAF 922 will be big enough for me to feel like I have some room.

I'm confident at the price points of my choices. I don't need to spend less, or want to spend more, but I am posting to get some feedback. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on my choices.

IMO I would go with the 3770k. The 3570k may be cheaper, but who knows in the future if you want to get into some multimedia stuff? Maybe you want to stream some gameplay? As we move into the next-gen for games, I really think that the extra threads may see some benefit.

I would also stick with the H80i...and I say this as an owner of a H100. Lately I've read some closed loop comparison reviews that point out the H80i as being the best performer in Corsair's closed loop product line.

I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the 3770k as well, but apparently Micro Center runs deals on Z77 boards ($50 off) when you buy certain CPU's. If that's the case, and the 3570k works but the 3770k doesn't, I'm saving the $50(mobo discount) + $30(difference in price).

I appreciate the insight on the H80i, Smokey. Makes that decision feel a lot better.

kharma45

Microcentre also appear to do the 30nm Samsung RAM too, worth looking into to if it's not too much more expensive over that Corsair stuff.

Smokey

I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the 3770k as well, but apparently Micro Center runs deals on Z77 boards ($50 off) when you buy certain CPU's. If that's the case, and the 3570k works but the 3770k doesn't, I'm saving the $50(mobo discount) + $30(difference in price).

I appreciate the insight on the H80i, Smokey. Makes that decision feel a lot better.

3570k is a fine CPU too and will last you for years if you'd like. For gaming, these CPUs are yawning at what's being thrown at them (save for a few exceptions).

Koroviev

IMO I would go with the 3770k. The 3570k may be cheaper, but who knows in the future if you want to get into some multimedia stuff? Maybe you want to stream some gameplay? As we move into the next-gen for games, I really think that the extra threads may see some benefit.

I would also stick with the H80i...and I say this as an owner of a H100. Lately I've read some closed loop comparison reviews that point out the H80i as being the best performer in Corsair's closed loop product line.

I just installed an H60 and I love how it looks. Much better than the Evo cooler, Imo.

Koroviev

3570k is a fine CPU too and will last you for years if you'd like. For gaming, these CPUs are yawning at what's being thrown at them (save for a few exceptions).

I've asked this before, but is there any point in overclocking a 3570k right now other than benchmarking? I'm planning on getting a Define R4 in the near future and debating whether it's worthwhile to upgrade from an H77 at the same time.

kharma45

I've asked this before, but is there any point in overclocking a 3570k right now other than benchmarking? I'm planning on getting a Define R4 in the near future and debating whether it's worthwhile to upgrade from an H77 at the same time.

Yes, CPU bound games will get better FPS and you'll also get reduced frame latencies.

Smokey

Yes. Games see a measurable increase when running in the 4.3+ghz range versus stock. BF3 mp for example. Mkenyon has some pretty graphs that illustrate this.

mkenyon

Banned
I was wondering if anybody has a GTX 690 on here how is it? I am tempted to sell my 7870's for one.
I liked mine quite a bit. I play a lot of closed/open beta games as well as competitive games, so I was often screwed over by the lack of SLI profiles. That was kind of frustrating to get worse than 680 performance in a lot of titles.

I think the Titan is a much better bet though.
Hey MK where can I read up more about SLI input lag? Been doing a search and I can't find hard data... esp. on the 600 series cards.
Forums and NVIDIA directly. They don't advertise it or want it talked about. It's kind of their dirty secret that only people in the know discuss. It's how they get around the usual dual card stutter issues.

It's as simple as this though. For every additional card, you get one whole frame of input lag.
Haz or mken,

HX650 is enough, but AX850 is a better bet. It does fit, but you have to put quite a bit of pressure on the backplate to get it to seat. Just be smart with the cables coming out of the back. You can also just cut the back of the PSU section, just a bit of dremel work.
I think the monitor will be the last piece I purchase. I'm holding out on a 27-30 inch monitor that has 1440p@120HZ to pop out of nowhere.

Hell I may just say screw it. Samsung has this: http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led/LS27B970DS/ZN

And they stopped selling their 27 inch 120hz monitor on new egg. They have it listed as discontinued. So I'm hoping Samsung is planning to bring out series 10 monitors soon
ASUS 144hz out soon. :p

Don't hold your breath on 1440p 120hz. There isn't even the slightest bit of whisper about possible new monitors like that.
I thought there was some kind of "catch" to doing this though?
Yeah, they die fast. Also, the panels can't actually display it. It's just processed as though it were at 120hz.
Yes, CPU bound games will get better FPS and you'll also get reduced frame latencies.
Those are the same thing :p

mkenyon

Banned
Frame latency and FPS are the same thing. The latter is just an average of the former over the span of one second.

Since it averages all frames rendered over one second, it tends to hide data where things are going wrong (or well).

kharma45

Frame latency and FPS are the same thing. The latter is just an average of the former over the span of one second.

Since it averages all frames rendered over one second, it tends to hide data where things are going wrong (or well).

Ah, consider me better educated then!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

My 4.6ghz OC on my 3930k never gets higher than 63c with heavy use. I can stream in OBS and play BF3 and my H100i holds up very well. I'm talking for at least 1 hour.

mkenyon

Banned
SB-E and Ivy temps can't be compared really.

Ivy has a heatwall where no amount of cooling can help it due to the TIM connected heatspreader.

Momentary

Banned
ASUS 144hz out soon. :p

Don't hold your breath on 1440p 120hz. There isn't even the slightest bit of whisper about possible new monitors like that.

I know that people say 24" screen is the sweet-spot for 1080p. Now if I get a 27" screen and downsample from 1440p for better IQ I should be good to go right ? Or it doesn't work like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom