• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Pixel density is pixel density.

Before you go and buy one, I'd look at one in the flesh.

Also, you could always get 3-5 120hz displays, remove the bezels, and then put them in portrait mode.

How does 3240x1920 sound? :p

Vega5x1.jpg

Momentary

Banned

Also, you could always get 3-5 120hz displays, remove the bezels, and then put them in portrait mode.

I'm not cool enough for that.

Looked at the price of ASUS VG278HE. Why is it so cheap? Thinking about ordering one right now.

mkenyon

Banned
That'll depend on how you made out with silicon lottery paired with the board you end up buying.

But, 4.2-4.4 is easily achievable for most boards/procs.
I'm not cool enough for that.

Looked at the price of ASUS VG278HE. Why is it so cheap? Thinking about ordering one right now.
That is an incredibly low price.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-vg278he.html

That'll give you all the info you need to know about it.

*edit*

Also looks like Overlord is getting another batch of Monitors on March 15th

http://www.overlordcomputer.com/Overlord_Tempest_1440_Displays_s/1817.htm

WHAT THE ..

You disgust me.
I want to be you.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh, that's not me haha.

That's the infamous 'Callsign Vega'. The same fella who had a PC where he could switch between air cooling, water cooling, phase change, and GEOTHERMAL cooling on his main PC.

He also did crazy stuff like use a prism correction to make a bezel free 3xSony 120hz CRT (I forget the model, its the one people still go gaga over) display.

The dude is insane.

LegendX48

Looking through the cases in the op I think I have decided on the NZXT Switch 810 but not sure if I should go for the black gloss or matte (matte is an extra $10). Can I get some thoughts and whatnot?

JayDub

Ok, I have been blowing through this thread page after page, and have even asked a few random questions. I think I am at the point now where I am ready to commit (as in; trip to Micro Center after work).

I am looking for a system that will be able to handle Oculus Rift stuff in a couple of months. By the sounds of it, Oculus renders 2 seperate images and requires 60fps, which sounds perfect for an SLI setup. I'm also quite interested in downsampling some older games. I found a great deal on a pair of 670 GTX from a fellow GAFer (thanks g35twinturbo) so the hard part is done.

I'm upgrading from/replacing an AMD Phenom II X3 /w AMD Radeon 4870 1gb build so entry level doesn't make too much sense as I am not far off. I'm leaning heavily towards "Enthusiast" and beyond as per the OP.

CPU: 3770k or 3570k (game time decision)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Power Supply: Corsair AX850
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
RAM: 4x4gb Corsair 1600mhz 1.5v
HDD: 640gb WD Black (the only item I am salvaging from my previous system)
SSD: Intel 335 240gb (I really like the intel ssd software.)

I feel fairly confident in my decisions, but I do have a part of me that wants to spend the extra $50 on a Bitfenix Shinobi XL and possibly go with the Corsair H100i LCS instead of the H80i.

The one thing I hate most about my current build is that it's in an Antec 300 case (a classic in its own right ... but hard to work inside). I wonder if the HAF 922 will be big enough for me to feel like I have some room.

I'm confident at the price points of my choices. I don't need to spend less, or want to spend more, but I am posting to get some feedback. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on my choices.

LUCKY! I would love to find some GTX 670-680-690s used for cheap.

JayDub

That looks amazing. I would totally be into multi-screen setups if the bezels were like that. Any monitor on the market that have thin bezels like that without modding?
What goes into removing the bezels, anyways?

Bleeether

How would one even get use to so much screen real estate. It seems like you would literally have to turn your head to see the other end of the screen. Or do they set a few feet away from these?

Man, i wish i had a friend that had a set up like this. I want to see what it's like gaming on something like this. Hell, i wish i knew someone with a 3 monitor setup. I'd probably buy a couple more Benq's if i like it.

Zeth

Current rig:

Antec BP550
Asus P8z77-v LK
3570k @4.1Ghz
660Ti
8gb ram stock
1TB WD Blue
Possible SSD in near future

Would my PSU be ok for a 670 or a 4GB 680? I'm thinking I should be fine, it's just SLi that would be a bad idea.

I'm finding I'm a sucker for image quality and AA is really slowing me down on some games. I considered a second MSI 660ti Power Edition but the issues with SLI (microstutter?) kind of scare me. And I feel like I'll be limiting myself with the 192 bit cards.

mkenyon

Banned
Ok, I have been blowing through this thread page after page, and have even asked a few random questions. I think I am at the point now where I am ready to commit (as in; trip to Micro Center after work).

I am looking for a system that will be able to handle Oculus Rift stuff in a couple of months. By the sounds of it, Oculus renders 2 seperate images and requires 60fps, which sounds perfect for an SLI setup. I'm also quite interested in downsampling some older games. I found a great deal on a pair of 670 GTX from a fellow GAFer (thanks g35twinturbo) so the hard part is done.

I'm upgrading from/replacing an AMD Phenom II X3 /w AMD Radeon 4870 1gb build so entry level doesn't make too much sense as I am not far off. I'm leaning heavily towards "Enthusiast" and beyond as per the OP.

CPU: 3770k or 3570k (game time decision)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Power Supply: Corsair AX850
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
RAM: 4x4gb Corsair 1600mhz 1.5v
HDD: 640gb WD Black (the only item I am salvaging from my previous system)
SSD: Intel 335 240gb (I really like the intel ssd software.)

I feel fairly confident in my decisions, but I do have a part of me that wants to spend the extra $50 on a Bitfenix Shinobi XL and possibly go with the Corsair H100i LCS instead of the H80i.

The one thing I hate most about my current build is that it's in an Antec 300 case (a classic in its own right ... but hard to work inside). I wonder if the HAF 922 will be big enough for me to feel like I have some room.

I'm confident at the price points of my choices. I don't need to spend less, or want to spend more, but I am posting to get some feedback. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on my choices.
I'm sorry I missed this!

I assume the Sabertooth choice is based on aesthetics. Otherwise, it's not a very good value. The MPower and OC Formula offer a lot more for a similar price.

You can go with an AX650/AX750 for that system as well.

Don't make a decision on cases until you go and see them in person. The HAF 922 is definitely dated though. The HAF XB is more or less the proper successor if you like that aesthetic. Check out the Fractal Define while you are there as well. It's the best case under $200, IMO.
That looks amazing. I would totally be into multi-screen setups if the bezels were like that. Any monitor on the market that have thin bezels like that without modding?
What goes into removing the bezels, anyways?
Google 'callsign vega heavyweight display', spend a few hours going through his overclock.net or hardforum threads :p

Jex

I actually have a similar question to the above poster:

Current set up:

Ivy Bridge Quad Core i5-3570K
Sapphire HD 7850 1GB
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
1TB Samsung F3
1TB Samsung
Antec Basiq Power 550W PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Sony BD Drive

If I upgraded my Sapphire HD 7850 to a 7950 would I need a better power supply? I do apologies for this rather rudimentary query but I am terrible at calculating my power supply needs?

Thanks in advance.

kharma45

Current set up:

Sapphire HD 7850 1GB
1TB Samsung F3
1TB Samsung
Sony BD Drive

If I upgraded my Sapphire HD 7850 to a 7950 would I need a better power supply? I do apologies for this rather rudimentary query but I am terrible at calculating my power supply needs?

Nope.

Looked into OCing your 7850 to get a performance boost? If you've a good one it gets near stock 7950 levels.

Koroviev

Even if you overclock these it's still not a true 120hz is it? Plus the life expectancy of the monitor is reduced.

Screw it I'm either going with Samsung or ASUS for 120hz or 144hz.

Actually screw the Samsung. It's almost $300 more.

Says the guy who is spending $800 on cooling ;)

NoRéN

Holy hell! That's incredible.

Jex

Nope.

Looked into OCing your 7850 to get a performance boost? If you've a good one it gets near stock 7950 levels.

When I said upgrading...the fans housing has actually fallen off my 7850 making it rather difficult to use! I was looking to replace it but I didn't want to buy another Sapphire 7850 after having it break in under 6 months.

Yes, I know that sounds crazy. Spending another £100 is not a logical move on my part.

iavi

Current set up:

Sapphire HD 7850 1GB
1TB Samsung F3
1TB Samsung
Sony BD Drive

Thanks in advance.

Not at all. I'm on an OC'd 7950 and Seasonic 550w. Powered just fine.

I also have a Sapphire dual x 7950. It's been a fantastic card, aside from weird core throttling issues (ive found that only overdrive OC settings in the CCC will stick. No afterburner.)

Even with a voltage raise, the temps never hit 60c. Ridiculously good air cooling.

kharma45

When I said upgrading...the fans housing has actually fallen off my 7850 making it rather difficult to use! I was looking to replace it but I didn't want to buy another Sapphire 7850 after having it break in under 6 months.

If it has happened through no fault of your own then return it to your retailer for a refund or RMA it.

Jex

If it has happened through no fault of your own then return it to your retailer for a refund or RMA it.

I returned it to the retailer (Overclockers) and they returned it to me saying 'User damage' on the RMA note, which isn't true at all. I just opened my case to discover bits of plastic and screws everywhere.

kharma45

I returned it to the retailer (Overclockers) and they returned it to me saying 'User damage' on the RMA note, which isn't true at all.

I'd keep at them for an RMA (mention all the usual stuff like Sales of Good act, talk to your local trading standards people), or even contact Sapphire directly at very worst.

Bit more force and they'll probably give in.

Talents

Banned
What OS would you guys recommend I get in my new computer? I'm swaying towards staying with Windows 7 because I'm used to it but not sure what the better choice is...

kharma45

What OS would you guys recommend I get in my new computer? I'm swaying towards staying with Windows 7 because I'm used to it but not sure what the better choice is...

If you're happy with 7 stick with it, I've 8 on my new machine and it's fine for the most part.

Dave_6

Jesus. This makes me want to go with a mid ATX case so I can SLI in the future.

Even if you overclock these it's still not a true 120hz is it? Plus the life expectancy of the monitor is reduced.

Screw it I'm either going with Samsung or ASUS for 120hz or 144hz.

Actually screw the Samsung. It's almost $300 more.

You should really have a look at it in a store first and see if 1080p on 27 inches is ok for you.

I sit very close to my screen and couldn't go back to 1080p.

Kurdel

Banned
Realistically, how long will the Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz last me? I have GTX 660ti and I am eager to get the hot new graphics cards of 2013 when they come out, but I don't know shit about computer and bottlenecks.

kharma45

Realistically, how long will the Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz last me? I have GTX 660ti and I am eager to get the hot new graphics cards of 2013 when they come out, but I don't know shit about computer and bottlenecks.

If it's a K model I'd guesstimate 4 years at least, my i5 750 overclocked still handles everything I've thrown at it.

Jex

I'd keep at them for an RMA (mention all the usual stuff like Sales of Good act, talk to your local trading standards people), or even contact Sapphire directly at very worst.

Bit more force and they'll probably give in.

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep at it for now.

I'm sorry I missed this!

I assume the Sabertooth choice is based on aesthetics. Otherwise, it's not a very good value. The MPower and OC Formula offer a lot more for a similar price.

You can go with an AX650/AX750 for that system as well.

Don't make a decision on cases until you go and see them in person. The HAF 922 is definitely dated though. The HAF XB is more or less the proper successor if you like that aesthetic. Check out the Fractal Define while you are there as well. It's the best case under $200, IMO.

Google 'callsign vega heavyweight display', spend a few hours going through his overclock.net or hardforum threads :p

Funny you mention that OC Formula board, as I was very much split between the Sabertooth and the OC Formula. It's an aesthetics thing, and I maybe bought a little into the idea of "military grade" caps and components.

I didn't however consider that MSI board until now. Every enthusiast site seemed to be enamored with ASUS and ASRock and to a lesser degree Gigabyte. I hadn't seen much about MSI being a leader. Now that I am looking at it ... it's cheaper, it also has "military grade" parts for what that's worth (lol?), and on-board WiFi (something I wished the ASUS/ASRock stuff had). Wow! I might have just changed my mind on something I was almost 100% sure I wouldn't.

Also, I think you're spot on with the case decision. The more I think about it I'm pretty sure I want a Full ATX. I might check out the CM Storm Trooper or Thermaltake Chaser MK-I in person and make a decision.

As for the PSU, I guess $20 is $20 if the AX750 will support some overclocking on a 3570k and a couple GTX 670 SLIs.

I'm also considering a downgrade to 8gb DDR3. Doesn't seem like there is much benefit spending the extra cash.

*rubs hands together* It's all coming together so nicely.

Thanks for the pointers mkenyon.

Koroviev

That'll depend on how you made out with silicon lottery paired with the board you end up buying.

But, 4.2-4.4 is easily achievable for most boards/procs.

That is an incredibly low price.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-asus-vg278he.html

That'll give you all the info you need to know about it.

*edit*

Also looks like Overlord is getting another batch of Monitors on March 15th

http://www.overlordcomputer.com/Overlord_Tempest_1440_Displays_s/1817.htm

What are the top brands in motherboards? Specific models that I should be pursuing? I think you're familiar with my setup at this point. I don't need anything crazy, but I'll invest in something solid.

kennah

What are the top brands in motherboards? Specific models that I should be pursuing? I think you're familiar with my setup at this point. I don't need anything crazy, but I'll invest in something solid.

He's mentioned them to me. Maximus Gene, MSI Mpower, and ASRock Extreme

Kinda eyeing up a local Maximus IV for 200. It's $100 off because it's missing the back plate.

kitch9

Banned

Asus ROG boards have a good reputation, and mine is certainly solid and freakishly stable with power delivery to the cpu, even under high loads

mkenyon

Banned
They all have their ups and downs.

The best Z77 board is the Gigabyte UP7. The UP5 and UP4 TH are also really good.

The MSI MPower and ASRock OC Formula are great OCers for the price.

The RoG Line has some really amazing unique features that are good for tinkerers.

Those are all the high end boards. In terms of 'lots of features, solid reliability, good OC ability', you can't beat the ASRock Extreme 4. That's the one I'd most likely push you towards.

Quick SFF build that I put together.
Fractal Design Node 304 case
i7 3770k
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
8gb Corsair white low profile vengeance ram
120gb Kingston Hyperx 3K SSD
1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
Seasonic M12II 620w PSU
Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb

Still using the stock intel cooler. Debating which cooler to put in. An air cooler where I can just use the normal push pins to mount, or grab maybe an H55 or something similar and have to take out the mobo.

Cabling still needs some work. Might get a sata to molex adapter so that it will free up 1 less cable from the PSU. Also the PSU has an additional 8 pin for the mobo that isn't modular that I had to deal with.
034JPG_y3qn7q3gsu.jpg

035JPG_0yyomxowkm.jpg

036JPG_adj6zyv6wh.jpg

037JPG_6wjg6mfh6j.jpg

lmpaler

Gonna do a quick run down, but see the OP. It sounds like you'll be keeping the system for a long time?

I'd swap things up with a 3770K, one of the boards in the OP, one of the SSDs in the OP, a 750W PSU (hx750, ax750, h750), a case other than a 900 unless you really like how it looks, and dual 7950's (Not that much of a bump in price).

It would help if you filled out the sheet in the OP so people can help understand what you'd be using it for.

Than you for the advice. Looking over the OP quickly(I am at work atm), I have a question.

OCing, I used to do it often, but I haven't been in the PC gaming space for a few years. My last OC were those amazing single core AMD's 1.8 stock and I got it to 3.2GHz stable on air. Was a thing of beauty :)

I intend to use the PC primarily as a gaming rig, so would overclocking give me such a drastic performance gap that would justify the extra price when coupled with CF or SLI set-ups?

mkenyon

Banned
It gives better performance regardless of the video card used. It's also easier than it ever has been. Two values, and you're done.

Koroviev

They all have their ups and downs.

The best Z77 board is the Gigabyte UP7. The UP5 and UP4 TH are also really good.

The MSI MPower and ASRock OC Formula are great OCers for the price.

The RoG Line has some really amazing unique features that are good for tinkerers.

Those are all the high end boards. In terms of 'lots of features, solid reliability, good OC ability', you can't beat the ASRock Extreme 4. That's the one I'd most likely push you towards.

Not unreasonable. Do we ever see promotions on any of those boards? I'd like to keep it under $250 for the Define R4 and the Z77.

Noaloha

Funny you mention that OC Formula board, as I was very much split between the Sabertooth and the OC Formula. It's an aesthetics thing, and I maybe bought a little into the idea of "military grade" caps and components.
Sorry, what was that you said? Oooh, you want pictures of Sabertooth builds? Well, I mean, if you insist. (Translation: yay, an excuse to post my build!)

iJaAxTZuQMIdZ.png

ipTgxfJSc0Nst.png

Koroviev

I've seen the Extreme 4 go below $100 fairly often.

Any site in particular that I should be keeping tabs on? I don't plan on doing this upgrade until around the 20th, but I'm flexible if the price is right. While we're on the subject of sales, do we ever see R4 promotions? Is there a compelling reason to opt for the R4 over either of the Bitfenix cases? I'm not keen on sub-$20 mail-in rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom