• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions on what I should do about my video card.

Basically, I plan on upgrading whenever Maxwell comes out and I'll probably drop a pretty penny on one of the higher end models. Right now, I have a GTX 760 and while it's pretty good for the price, I'm not hitting 60 fps at every game at the settings I like.

I'm looking to SLI it basically as a stopgap til I properly upgrade. Is it worth it to do so if the card I have is 2GB? I'm also concerned about my PSU. I've been to lazy to finesse the overclock with my CPU too...

Specs:
4670k stock speed
8gb ram
630w PSU
MSI G45 Z87 mobo

edit: I'm only playing at 1080p too, so 2gb should be enough til next year?

Opinions on what I should do about my video card.

Basically, I plan on upgrading whenever Maxwell comes out and I'll probably drop a pretty penny on one of the higher end models. Right now, I have a GTX 760 and while it's pretty good for the price, I'm not hitting 60 fps at every game at the settings I like.

I'm looking to SLI it basically as a stopgap til I properly upgrade. Is it worth it to do so if the card I have is 2GB? I'm also concerned about my PSU. I've been to lazy to finesse the overclock with my CPU too...

Specs:
4670k stock speed
8gb ram
630w PSU
MSI G45 Z87 mobo

edit: I'm only playing at 1080p too, so 2gb should be enough til next year?

Are you using stock cooling on your CPU?

jfoul

There was a video card that was on sale at newegg for like 150$ or so and everyone jumped on it cause it was a great deal. A good gpu to buy before miners started buying them.

Anybody remember? Maybe r9 or something?

There was a deal on the Radeon R9 265 for $150 awhile ago.

Then the better deal popped up during the Newegg V.ME promotion. The MSI R9 270 GAMING 2GB was $162, It's now $179.99.

Right now you can get a Radeon R9 270X for $189.99 here (XFX) and here (Club3D) at NCIX.

No. I've got a good cooler on there; Noctua NH-U9B. For a 92mm cooler it does a great job and suuuuuper quiet.

I'll get around to setting the overclock this weekend when I have time.

Regarding the GPU, I'd wait for the 800 series.

If you SLI'd your 760, you'd sell both of them to pay for your Maxwell upgrade?

Since the general rule of thumb is to move to a better single GPU, you could always sell your 760 and purchase a 770 or 780.

Mohonky

Have my componnents here and have a question;

My new mobo (ga z87x oc) has a 12v 4 pin in plus another 12v x 2 so another 2 x 4 pin connectors,problem is I have no one cable from my coolermaster silent pro 800 that fits this as there is 6 + 2 too make up the second connector but the other lead from that is a 6 pin connector. Should I just use another lead with 2 x 4 pin connectors for the first 12v connection?

Also the power for leds, is black negative and black with white stripe positive?

Faith

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Specifications.jpg

Holy xD

Mohonky

Oh and lastly, i have 3 components that use sata; ssd, hdd and bluray drive. Was thinking ssd in sata 0, hdd in sata 1 and bluray in sata 2?

I wonder how the 295X2 needs water cooling and air, but the Titan Z will run on just 1 big fan.

One is using AMD space heater second one is result of Nvidia getting badly burned on 480 series and designing next architecture with as much power effciency as possible.

I wonder how many power connectors will it use as pci-ex is 75W and 8 pin connectors are 150W

so 4 x 8 pin connector ?

One is using AMD space heater second one is result of Nvidia getting badly burned on 480 series and designing next architecture with as much power effciency as possible.

I wonder how many power connectors will it use as pci-ex is 75W and 8 pin connectors are 150W

so 4 x 8 pin connector ?

2x8pin

AMD is running this way out of spec.

Mohonky

Yes, that should be fine.
Any advice on the question before that? It looks like the power pins arent going to work. What is the second lot of 2x 4 pin 12v connectors for on the ga z87x oc? Because riight now I have one power connector that splits into 2x 4 pin connectors but I dont have anything left now for the last 4 pin connector and the 6 + 2 pin doesnt fit :/

Actually can I let a 6 pin connector overhang?

riflen

Any advice on the question before that? It looks like the power pins arent going to work. What is the second lot of 2x 4 pin 12v connectors for on the ga z87x oc? Because riight now I have one power connector that splits into 2x 4 pin connectors but I dont have anything left now for the last 4 pin connector and the 6 + 2 pin doesnt fit :/

Actually can I let a 6 pin connector overhang?

Check the manual for the board, as it describes all the connections and their function.

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z87x-oc_e.pdf

The board has the following power connections:

1. ATX (12x2) - Mandatory. Combine the 20+4 pin connectors from your PSU for this connection.
2. ATX 12v (2x4) - I recommend you connect this.
3. ATX 12v (2x2) - Optional if 2 is connected. Provided in case your PSU does not have 2x4 12v plug.
4. OC_PEG (2x3) - Optional. The manual states this is for SLI/Crossfire GPU configs to provide more power through the PCI-E bus.

I see that your PSU has a 12v 2x4 connector (described as 4+4 by coolermaster). This should be connected to 2.

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/silent-pro-gold/silent-pro-gold-800w/

If you have two or more GPUs, connect one of the PCI-E 6-pin connectors to 4.

Anyone familiar with OBS...how exactly do you get push to talk working? I put in a hotkey but when I hit it looks like it just puts the mic on permanently.

Zeus7

I have my PC up and running, I installed the latest drivers for my EVGA 770 but this is causing green lines to flash across the screen and then go away, I am also getting the blue screen of death a few times. I uninstalled the drivers and this solved the problem. Do I have a faulty graphics card?

riflen

I have my PC up and running, I installed the latest drivers for my EVGA 770 but this is causing green lines to flash across the screen and then go away, I am also getting the blue screen of death a few times. I uninstalled the drivers and this solved the problem. Do I have a faulty graphics card?

If you're sure you've plugged in both PCI-E power connectors to the GPU and ruled out the possibility that the card is overheating (using GPU-Z or similar), then it's probably a faulty board.

Zeus7

If you're sure you've plugged in both PCI-E power connectors to the GPU and ruled out the possibility that the card is overheating (using GPU-Z or similar), then it's probably a faulty board.

I'll open her up and check the connectors again to make sure everything is OK. When going in to GeForce experience it's saying 'Sorry GeForce cannot optimise games on this PC' :(

Edit: GPU temps: 25'C

riflen

I'll open her up and check the connectors again to make sure everything is OK. When going in to GeForce experience it's saying 'Sorry GeForce cannot optimise games on this PC' :(

Edit: GPU temps: 25'C

If this is happening with the driver installed correctly, then there's probably a fault with the GPU. With the driver installed, does GeForce Experience correctly identify your GPU in the "My Rig" section?

I'm coming around to the idea of my next PC being housed in a Fractal Design Node 304 case, which will drive a couple of key decisions as to what goes inside. The case itself is very attractive to me, and I like the idea of small-form factor, a touch of class for my PC.

My current PC is in an Antec 900 case with tonnes of blue lights and whirring fans and a tall tower shape with a window on the side and all that... It's just not my style, at all.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the case (Fractal Design Node 304), would a GTX 760 fit inside?

And a second question is, how good is the 760? Should I be looking at something else (the current price is €220 for the 2GB version).

I plan to continue using my 650w PSU, which I'm hoping would fit in and not obstruct the GPU. But I dunno. If anyone has experience with a case of this type, I like to hear about it.

Chakvr2

Neo Member
I'm coming around to the idea of my next PC being housed in a Fractal Design Node 304 case, which will drive a couple of key decisions as to what goes inside. The case itself is very attractive to me, and I like the idea of small-form factor, a touch of class for my PC.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the case (Fractal Design Node 304), would a GTX 760 fit inside?

And a second question is, how good is the 760? Should I be looking at something else (the current price is €220 for the 2GB version).

I plan to continue using my 650w PSU, which I'm hoping would fit in and not obstruct the GPU. But I dunno. If anyone has experience with a case of this type, I like to hear about it.

I have a Node 304 and it fits my MSI 780 but otherwise here are some specs from their website:

ATX PSUs, up to 160mm in length (To fit in combination with a long graphics card, PSUs with modular connectors on the back typically need to be shorter than 160 mm)

Graphics cards, up to 310mm in length, when 2 HDD slots (1 HDD hanging bracket total) are removed (Graphics cards longer than 170 mm will conflict with PSUs longer than 160mm)

I think it would fit most graphics cards (I think I saw someone fit that really long Sapphire Tri-X 290 in there, can't seem to find the pic anymore) but be careful of the PSU length as quoted from their website.

Cooler-wise, I was able to fit a NH-D14 in there but the drive bays obstruct being able to put the 2nd fan in and actually presses up against the tower. I went with a H80i in the end for better space management. Lastly, I found that it was quite difficult to get airflow over the VRM (I'm using the Z87i-pro) and the fans on the front don't really help much in that regard, haven't really found a solution for it but I ended up not wanting to push it too far temp wise. The Impact listed in the OP I heard has better caps but I'm not sure if that is true.

Otherwise I think it's a great case :)

Zeus7

If this is happening with the driver installed correctly, then there's probably a fault with the GPU. With the driver installed, does GeForce Experience correctly identify your GPU in the "My Rig" section?

Yes it has the GPU details there, EVGA GTX 770 etc.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
I have a Node 304 and it fits my MSI 780 but otherwise here are some specs from their website:

I think it would fit most graphics cards (I think I saw someone fit that really long Sapphire Tri-X 290 in there, can't seem to find the pic anymore) but be careful of the PSU length as quoted from their website.

Cooler-wise, I was able to fit a NH-D14 in there but the drive bays obstruct being able to put the 2nd fan in and actually presses up against the tower. I went with a H80i in the end for better space management. Lastly, I found that it was quite difficult to get airflow over the VRM (I'm using the Z87i-pro) and the fans on the front don't really help much in that regard, haven't really found a solution for it but I ended up not wanting to push it too far temp wise. The Impact listed in the OP I heard has better caps but I'm not sure if that is true.

Otherwise I think it's a great case :)
What PSU did you end up with? I was eyeing this seasonic one for a node 304 build but not sure if it will fit in with an evga 760.

Hey PC bros
Need some advice here. Putting together a build, so far ive bought:

Intel i7 4770k
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming MOBO
3TB WB Black HDD

Im keeping my 560ti 2GB for now. Will eventually be swopping it for a 770/780 toward the end of the year.

Just looking for advice on RAM/PSU's now.

Is this ram decent?
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB

And is it worth the extra money compared to this RAM which seems almost identical?

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB

And as far as PSUs go, im well out of the loop. Ill need something good enough to power the 770/780 when i eventually get one. Any recommendations? (preferrably on komplett.ie as its where i order most of my parts from)

riflen

Hey PC bros
Need some advice here. Putting together a build, so far ive bought:

Intel i7 4770k
MSI Z87 G45 Gaming MOBO
3TB WB Black HDD

Im keeping my 560ti 2GB for now. Will eventually be swopping it for a 770/780 toward the end of the year.

Just looking for advice on RAM/PSU's now.

Is this ram decent?
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB

And is it worth the extra money compared to this RAM which seems almost identical?

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB

And as far as PSUs go, im well out of the loop. Ill need something good enough to power the 770/780 when i eventually get one. Any recommendations? (preferrably on komplett.ie as its where i order most of my parts from)

I would get the Tactical model, simply because they're low profile and €15 isn't much. You'll be thankful when you go to install some giant new CPU cooler. There's probably a 1 nano-second performance benefit over the Sport (i.e. indiscernible), but the lower power usage (1.35 vs 1.5v) is nice to have. Generally though, 1600 CAS 8 or 9 low profile is what I'd try to get.

PSUs are a little trickier here in Europe. Probably the least I'd consider for a GTX 780 would be the XFX TS Series 550w, others might have better recommendations there though.

FLAguy954

i5 2500k 4gigs of ram

How do games run on your rig?

Here is a list of what is going to be in my final build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.69)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $36.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.69)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $50.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $162.00)
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $50.00)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $605.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-03 11:51 EDT-0400)

UrbanRats

My brother seems to have a problem with his Gigabyte 580 SO, he says temperatures seem to be higher lately.

He tried to push fan speed at 100% with Afterburner, but it didn't change much. :\

In idle now is >40°c (before it was around 37/39), whereas on load just keeps on rising, with Just Cause 2 goes up to 80°c almost immediately, and then up from there little by little.
Room temperature is around 19/20°.
All with fans @ 100% speed.

It's all on the phone, so it's harder to even do something from here, but do any of you have any idea? I don't remember the temps when I was using that card, but i think 80+°c is a bit too high for JC2.

If it's this hot now, in the Summer it's going to melt.

EDIT: Also. Just Cause 2 just gave him this glitch, which i think is related to the GPU overheating:

I'm talking about those weird red shapes and lines when you get shot in the game, that are the blood texture glitching out and stretching.

Nakazato

How do games run on your rig?

Here is a list of what is going to be in my final build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.69)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $36.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.69)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $50.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $162.00)
Case: Thermaltake VM30001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $50.00)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $605.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-03 11:51 EDT-0400)

I personally cant tell the difference between 60-30 and I play at 1650x1050

I get bout 60 with dips in to about 47-53 fps in ffxiv with all everything maxed out

I get about 60 with some dips in Titanfall everything High (game is not optimized well very high crashes my PC and make it shit when there is more that 4 titans on screen)

I just ran benchmark for Batman origins i get an avg of 59 with some of the D11 stuff turned on but a min of about 32 ish

I can say im happy with my pc runs.

Question about my damaged GPU

I'm running an old rig (late 2010) and just got back into the gaming stuff.

AMD Phenom II x4 965
2x4 Gig 1333 G.Skill Ripjaws
HD5870 1Gig
MSI 785GM-E65
CM Silent Pro M 500Watts
EKL Alpenföhn Brocken Cooler

My HD5870 used to crash like every 2 minutes, it gave me weird GSOD/colorful vertical lines/horizontal lines and sound loops. Had to reboot the PC everytime cause it wouldn't go away by itself.

After trying every single driver and using 2 diff. HDDs, it didn't change anything at all.
Was about to kick that card out of the window, when I was like "well, better a shitty card than none" and downclocked it from 850MHz/1200MHz to 700MHz/890MHz.

Now everything is stable, Saintsrow 3/L.A. Noire runs perfectly fine at max 1080p (besides some black/gray-ish pixels on black/grey things).

Just curious, why the hell is everything running perfectly smooth when I downclocked it that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom