• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheD

The Detective
770 gainward, which turned out to be about 5mm too thick to fit inside the BitFenix Prodigy on account of its monstrous cooler so I had to perform surgery on the case with a hacksaw to allow it to fit. Then it turns out this card has a loud coil whine when under heavy load, so I'm planning to send it back to the manufacturer anyway. And then the codes are expired.

So, thus far, I'm pretty fucking irritated about my purchase.

Where did you buy it from and did they advertise the card as coming with game codes?

Where did you buy it from and did they advertise the card as coming with game codes?

No it wasn't advertised on the site I purchase my equipment from, I saw the sticker on the box of the card when I was installing it last night, then the codes proper came in little slips in the case. Got my hopes up :(

kiyomi

I wouldnt touch that PSU with a barge pole.
http://www.overclock.net/t/952185/dont-ever-buy-a-powercool-psu

Me recommendation which will trounce that AMD rig in gaming, but be similar for the transcoding.

That's £60 more. I have a budget, I can't go over it. Thanks for the help but I can't increase my budget anymore. I'm already pushing it as it is. I was undecided on the PSU, it has decent reviews on Ebuyer and the specs are spot on but I'm not 100% on the brand. After using a modular PSU before though, it would be a pain to go back to a standard PSU.

Avoid the SSDNow V300. Here's why.

Grab a M500 instead.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
"Hmm, I'll redeem those free games that came with the video card today"

We're sorry, this deal has expired. See our terms and conditions for details.

WELL FUCK YOU THEN.

What games were you supposed to get? I thought the current Nvidia offerings were Daylight and a bunch of F2P in-game credit garbage.

LilJoka

That's £60 more. I have a budget, I can't go over it. Thanks for the help but I can't increase my budget anymore. I'm already pushing it as it is. I was undecided on the PSU, it has decent reviews on Ebuyer and the specs are spot on but I'm not 100% on the brand. After using a modular PSU before though, it would be a pain to go back to a standard PSU.

Buy the RAM you posted, that will save ~£10. Get 25 posts at hexus forums for free delivery at scan, or scout for the parts on Amazon, im sure itll only be maybe £30 more once youve found the cheapest place for the parts.

Also remember that SSD will be £58 at Aria as they have a £8 delivery fee. So even before looking for cheaper sites youve got a £50 extra cost for a much more superior system, which also can be upgraded to an i7 4770 down the line or even one of the haswell refresh chips.

Whatever you do, dont get that PSU.

Edit ive got it to £341 using Amazon (CPU, Mobo, RAM, PSU) and eBuyer (Case, SSD). Only £30 more than original build.
i5 4440
Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V Motherboard
Kingston 8GB Beast Ram 1600Mhz CL9
Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt - Yes its enough for your config
Fractal Design Core 1000
Crucial 120GB M500 SSD

kiyomi

Was the holiday bundle, Arkham Origins, SC Black list and ACIV.

Was going to give away to friends / sell.

So the codes weren't advertised, but came with the card anyway?

Even if you don't have a leg to stand on I'd kick up a fuss with the retailer that sold you the card, see if they can throw you a code for something if you hassle them.

Oxn

http://videocardz.com/50130/exclusive-amd-radeon-r9-295x2-preview

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Project-Hydra-850x473.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Mechanical-Dimensions.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Specifications.jpg

AMD don't give a shit about low power usage, LOL.

Although I think the Card looks awesome, I honestly have no clue who would buy this item aside from people who are trying to fit this into an ITX case.

It cost exactly twice the price of a 290X, with the same specs as 2 Cross fire 290X, and the power draw of again 2 290X.

Why wont someone without an ITX board just buy 2 290X?

500W power draw is crazy. If it was maybe more powerful than 2 290X, cost less than 2 290X, or drew less power than 2 290X then I see the point, but this I do not.

Again, card looks awesome though.

Azzurri

^^ I agree, but I'm one of those persons who is building an mITX so this would be perfect. Also, it said to run faster than 290x in CFX and Ti is SLI.

Reviews are supposed to hit April 8th, and the rumored price is $1499. Leaked benchmarks here have it running a bit faster than the GTX 780ti in SLI.

Yea, I read that too. That it's insane that it runs faster than Ti's is SLI.

Oxn

^^ I agree, but I'm one of those persons who is building an mITX so this would be perfect. Also, it said to run faster than 290x in CFX and Ti is SLI.

Yea, I read that too. That it's insane that it runs faster than Ti's is SLI.

Are you gonna get it?

I do admit, it looks sick, just not very practical.

Also never dealt with water cooling before. Was hoping it ran on air.

Edit: get a Titan Z :)

Edit 2: I wonder what the specs of Titan Z will be. Will it also be 500W? I think that the biggest issue Im having. That power draw.

NoRéN

Me! Was quite surprised to get a shipping email today. I assumed it was some end of line product that they wouldn't get stock of again. Should be a decent upgrade from the 4GBs of 1333 I have now.
Got mine too. Unfortunately it looks like my motherboard tends to have issues with running 4 sticks.

I don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed so it looks like I'll be selling mine.

Azzurri

Are you gonna get it?

I do admit, it looks sick, just not very practical.

Also never dealt with water cooling before. Was hoping it ran on air.

Edit: get a Titan Z :)

Edit 2: I wonder what the specs of Titan Z will be. Will it also be 500W? I think that the biggest issue Im having. That power draw.

If the price is right I will. I wanted a 790 but there is no way I want to spend 3k on a VC.

Oxn

I doing some measurements in my mid tower case, and I dont see how I can make that radiator fit. How would an ITX case make it fit?

I cant put the GPU radiator where the rear fan is because my CPU heatsink and fan is too big. But if I get a water cooling solution for my cpu and mount that to the top of the case it will block my ram slots?

How does this work?

Azzurri

I doing some measurements in my mid tower case, and I dont see how I can make that radiator fit. How would an ITX case make it fit?

I cant put the GPU radiator where the rear fan is because my CPU heatsink and fan is too big. But if I get a water cooling solution for my cpu and mount that to the top of the case it will block my ram slots?

How does this work?

C250D_12_575px.jpg

Here is the Corsair 250d. from the looks of it, it looks like you can fit the rad in the the from since that from fan is 140mm and the VC is 120m. Also, the 250d Can hold a 240m CPU water cooler.

It look like it should work, but I don't know. Another thing, it might be too long for the case though :(

Nakazato

OK got another big issue.

I just put my vid card in and realized I have no screws that will fit so my card is wobbling anyone know if the sell screws that will fit ?

Citizen K

So my netbook's screen just broke. No physical damage, just opened it up the other morning to significant pixel damage covering 95% of the screen. No idea how it happened but its well out of warranty. I know this isn't the laptop thread but anyone have experience with Chromebooks? Obviously I have my desktop for gaming but this thing will be for outside use, web surfing, writing papers, etc.

Looking at this one: http://www.costco.com/Acer-C720-242...luded-Free-for-2-years.product.100088470.html

TheD

The Detective
So my netbook's screen just broke. No physical damage, just opened it up the other morning to significant pixel damage covering 95% of the screen. No idea how it happened but its well out of warranty. I know this isn't the laptop thread but anyone have experience with Chromebooks? Obviously I have my desktop for gaming but this thing will be for outside use, web surfing, writing papers, etc.

Looking at this one: http://www.costco.com/Acer-C720-242...luded-Free-for-2-years.product.100088470.html

It should be fine for web surfing, writing stuff ect.
If you don't like ChromeOS you could always install an other version of Linux (like Ubuntu or Mint) in a chroot and run it side by side with ChromeOS, switching between the VTs they are running on at a push of a button.

Ashhong

Yeah, now's as good a time as any.

Intel's Broadwell architecture looks like it won't be released till Q1 2015 and Nvidia won't release the 800 series of GPUs until Q4 2014/Q1 2015.

How much DDR3 did you buy?

What's your budget for a new build?

Hmmm ok, it's between new PC and a new MacBook Air..and I'm leaning towards PC now.

I got the 16gb of ram off that amazon deal. Honestly I don't think I need over 8gb since that's what I have now of DDR2 and I never go over like 6. Is there a reason I should keep 16gb or should I go ahead and sell 2 of the 4gb sticks?

My budget is around...600 preferably. Maybe 700. Already spent 140 on an SSD and 57 for the ram :/

Hmmm ok, it's between new PC and a new MacBook Air..and I'm leaning towards PC now.

I got the 16gb of ram off that amazon deal. Honestly I don't think I need over 8gb since that's what I have now of DDR2 and I never go over like 6. Is there a reason I should keep 16gb or should I go ahead and sell 2 of the 4gb sticks?

My budget is around...600 preferably. Maybe 700. Already spent 140 on an SSD and 57 for the ram :/

Do you have a case already?

LilJoka

Hey guys, just putting together a little budget build and the wifi network card is slightly blocking one of the gpu fans. It's a palit gtx 750 ti and has two fans. The wifi card is quite close and I would say covers 20% of one fan. You think this will be ok? Here's a couple of pics (from my phone so hope they're clear).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cspnld8yy18im7/Photo 02-04-2014 23 32 51.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ami60gb9f0guepk/Photo 02-04-2014 23 34 11.jpg

There is absolutely nothing to worry about here.

So my 770 arrived and it turns out the BitFenix prodigy could not fit the Gainward Phantom 770. Fucking cunting bastard.

So after performing some rocket surgery on my case (i.e. removing a part near the video card with a hacksaw) it fit in and got the connectors put into it. It powers on and works properly, at least in perf terms. What is scaring me is that it's making a... noise. A loud hissing / buzzing / possibly grinding noise. I believe it's coming from the video card not some other component. It only starts when I boot a game, it's not present on the desktop, which makes me think it's fan related. However I can see no obstructions at all.

This sucks donkey dick because this was supposed to be a rather quiet card. I'm also half scared it's going to explode if I play a game.

You could have spent almost nothing more and got an R9 290 sapphire tri x like I did in my prodigy, it just fits, beats your card runs quieter and cooler.

Just saying.

Oh and you wouldnt have to perform surgery on your case.

Ashhong

There was a video card that was on sale at newegg for like 150$ or so and everyone jumped on it cause it was a great deal. A good gpu to buy before miners started buying them.

Anybody remember? Maybe r9 or something?

There was a video card that was on sale at newegg for like 150$ or so and everyone jumped on it cause it was a great deal. A good gpu to buy before miners started buying them.

R7 265?

Edit: but NCIX US has the Club 3D R9 270X on sale right now. (180-190 range depending on the number of fans)Today's the last day before the price goes back up.

TheD

The Detective
The second part of the OP should be updated
Disable defragmentation
Description: Defragmenting a hard disk's used space is only useful on mechanical disks with multi-millisecond latencies. Free-space defragmentation may be useful to SSDs, but this feature is not available in the default Windows Defragmenter.
Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Disk Defragmenter -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Doing as it says will disable defragmentation for all disks, not just SSDs.
It is also pointless because Win 7 and up automatically disable defragmentation for any SSDs.

NoRéN

The second part of the OP should be updated

Doing as it says will disable defragmentation for all disks, not just SSDs.
It is also pointless because Win 7 and up automatically disable defragmentation for any SSDs.

Well, technically, it is listed under SSD Tips and Tools. :)

Nah, I guess some warning of that should be listed for those with mechanical drives.

As for the second part, is that a new feature from one of the updates? I'm sure i had to do that with my first SSD.

KTT

Yep,m the 265. Got one myself that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom