• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

Question about my damaged GPU

I'm running an old rig (late 2010) and just got back into the gaming stuff.

AMD Phenom II x4 965
2x4 Gig 1333 G.Skill Ripjaws
HD5870 1Gig
MSI 785GM-E65
CM Silent Pro M 500Watts
EKL Alpenföhn Brocken Cooler

My HD5870 used to crash like every 2 minutes, it gave me weird GSOD/colorful vertical lines/horizontal lines and sound loops. Had to reboot the PC everytime cause it wouldn't go away by itself.

After trying every single driver and using 2 diff. HDDs, it didn't change anything at all.
Was about to kick that card out of the window, when I was like "well, better a shitty card than none" and downclocked it from 850MHz/1200MHz to 700MHz/890MHz.

Now everything is stable, Saintsrow 3/L.A. Noire runs perfectly fine at max 1080p (besides some black/gray-ish pixels on black/grey things).

Just curious, why the hell is everything running perfectly smooth when I downclocked it that much?

Either it was overheating at those higher clocks, or there's a fault with the card and lowering the clocks stresses the card less and gains you some stability.
Check that the card's cooling system isn't clogged with fluff and dust. Install some software to monitor temperatures (MSI Afterburner or similar). If temperatures aren't the problem, then it's probably got a fault.

So there is a Gigabyte Windforce 2gb card for sale on CL for 180. Is this a good deal? Also, i'm going SFF with the RVZ01B case and Gigabyte Mini itx, would it fit in there? I'm assuming most 760s are the same size

Ashhong

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3l2eK

If you leave out the case, you can hit your price target.

Thanks for this, I needed a good starting point. A few adjustments/questions:

I don't need a hdd so that will save me some money
How does that card compare to an R7 265 for around 160? Or an R9 270 for about 180?
Can I go with a cheaper motherboard? I don't know much about motherboards but I don't need anything fancy and was thinking it'd only be around 100.
Is the 4670k a middle ground cpu? Or is it considered a little more high end for i5? Just wondering if there's a cheaper option.
The psu seems good though. I almost never see people recommend bronze anymore tho, I feel like people always talking about gold in here. Bronze is fine?

Thanks for ur help!

Either it was overheating at those higher clocks, or there's a fault with the card and lowering the clocks stresses the card less and gains you some stability.
Check that the card's cooling system isn't clogged with fluff and dust. Install some software to monitor temperatures (MSI Afterburner or similar). If temperatures aren't the problem, then it's probably got a fault.
Cleared my whole rig last weekend, put down the fan, cleared the heatsinks, all fans, my PC looked cleaner than when I bought all the parts, so I don't think overheating is any issue. The fans don't even go over 50% useage, and the card is always under 70°C even when using the GPU-Z bench.

I would get the Tactical model, simply because they're low profile and €15 isn't much. You'll be thankful when you go to install some giant new CPU cooler. There's probably a 1 nano-second performance benefit over the Sport (i.e. indiscernible), but the lower power usage (1.35 vs 1.5v) is nice to have. Generally though, 1600 CAS 8 or 9 low profile is what I'd try to get.

PSUs are a little trickier here in Europe. Probably the least I'd consider for a GTX 780 would be the XFX TS Series 550w, others might have better recommendations there though.

Thanks a lot mate :D

I'm really enjoying the R9 270x 4gb that arrived last week. The card is huge. Here it is above a 750 Ti:
fcaPBFe.jpg

Oh man, you must be fairly new to this who build your own PC thing huh? Those cards are tiny. I use to have an EVGA 8800GTX with an aftermarket Arctic Cooling Accelero tri fan cooler, its was probably 1.5 times that long and 3 slots wide.

Okay, so I've slowly been acquiring parts over the past week, but I need some help finishing the rest.

So far I've gotten (prices are after tax+shipping):

Processor: Intel 4770k - $270.61 (from Staples)
Case: R4 Fractal Black Pearl - $80
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520w - $50 (it's not Haswell ready, but whatever)
Optical Drive: I'll just rip out whatever is in my current computer, or just not even put one in.
Storage: I have a 1tb sitting in my current computer that I'll recycle.
Display: I like my current monitor quite a bit, so I'll continue using it.

Now I need to figure out:

Motherboard: Don't really need anything fancy. Don't care about the form factor, as long as it fits in my case. Only need one PCI-E slot (never going to go SLI). Would prefer 4 RAM slots. WiFi would be nice, but I can always get a PCI card later.

RAM: Probably going to go 8gb (4x2, ideally). Again, don't really need anything fancy, just whatever gets the job done on the cheap. I plan on using this rig for video editing at some point, but I can wait for a sale before I go 16gb.

SSD: I'll probably pull the trigger on the 250gb Samsung 840 EVO on Amazon.

GFX Card: EVGA has treated me and my lifetime warranty'd 8800GTS exceptionally well, so I'd really like to go with them again. I'm thinking the 770 GTX 2gb will be perfect for me (I'm used to gaming at 1600x900 on my current setup, so no need for anything past 1080).

OS: Is there no longer a difference between an OS 'upgrade' disc and a full OS? I only see one SKU (outside of Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise/Honey Mustard) on software sites. Is that all I need for a fresh 8.1 on this computer?

Cooler/Fans/Misc: Do I need anything special? I don't plan on OCing anything out of the gate and probably won't for another year or two. I'm assuming my case's fans and stock CPU cooler will be sufficient. Do I need to buy any Arctic Silver or anything like that? Or should I be able to put everything together with what comes in the boxes.

Oh man, you must be fairly new to this who build your own PC thing huh? Those cards are tiny. I use to have an EVGA 8800GTX with an aftermarket Arctic Cooling Accelero tri fan cooler, its was probably 1.5 times that long and 3 slots wide.

Tha thing was huge. Huge, hot and loud as hell when under full load haha

thespot84

Okay, so I've slowly been acquiring parts over the past week, but I need some help finishing the rest.

Processor: Intel 4770k - $270.61 (from Staples)
Case: R4 Fractal Black Pearl - $80
Optical Drive: I'll just rip out whatever is in my current computer, or just not even put one in.
Storage: I have a 1tb sitting in my current computer that I'll recycle.
Display: I like my current monitor quite a bit, so I'll continue using it.

Now I need to figure out:

Motherboard: Don't really need anything fancy. Don't care about the form factor, as long as it fits in my case. Only need one PCI-E slot (never going to go SLI). Would prefer 4 RAM slots. WiFi would be nice, but I can always get a PCI card later.

RAM: Probably going to go 8gb (4x2, ideally). Again, don't really need anything fancy, just whatever gets the job done on the cheap. I plan on using this rig for video editing at some point, but I can wait for a sale before I go 16gb.

SSD: I'll probably pull the trigger on the 250gb Samsung 840 EVO on Amazon.

GFX Card: EVGA has treated me and my lifetime warranty'd 8800GTS exceptionally well, so I'd really like to go with them again. I'm thinking the 770 GTX 2gb will be perfect for me (I'm used to gaming at 1600x900 on my current setup, so no need for anything past 1080).

OS: Is there no longer a difference between an OS 'upgrade' disc and a full OS? I only see one SKU (outside of Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise/Honey Mustard) on software sites. Is that all I need for a fresh 8.1 on this computer?

Cooler/Fans/Misc: Do I need anything special? I don't plan on OCing anything out of the gate and probably won't for another year or two. I'm assuming my case's fans and stock CPU cooler will be sufficient. Do I need to buy any Arctic Silver or anything like that? Or should I be able to put everything together with what comes in the boxes.

are you overclocking (i assume so since you ordered a 4770k 'k' being unlocked) If so grab a gigabyte z87 UD3H. If you're not overclocking you can get a cheaper chipset (not z87) and a cheaper chip (not K)

LilJoka

What PSU did you end up with? I was eyeing this seasonic one for a node 304 build but not sure if it will fit in with an evga 760.

Seasonic G Series is the best PSU to buy for the Node 304. Very highly recommended on the overclock.net thread for Node 304 builds. In fact nearly every builder there who makes a fresh build uses this PSU.

This PSU may switch off when the CPU goes into the C7 Power State. Recommend you pick a Haswell certified Seasonic.

LilJoka

Getting tired of watching the price fluctuations. it seems like the MSI 760 is the cheapest right now. Is that a solid brand? Do I need the water cooler? Just trying to cut cost as much as i can before i purchase.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ll1t

Do not buy scam alert!
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

As stated earlier, this SSD has appalling performance, worse than its predecessors.
A Crucial M500 is a much better alternative.

Id go with one of those Noctua down facing heatsinks if possible for a light OC like 4.2Ghz if it saves some bucks. The Gigabyte ITX CPU socket is quite close to the PCIE port which makes it harder to fit though.

You could go with the AsRock ITX board, that has a CPU Socket in normal position and would allow you to easily install a down facing heatsink like the following:

Silverstone NT06-Pro
Noctua NH-L12
Cooler Master GeminII M4
Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti

That'll give you some OC potential.

I'd probably purchase a water cooler if it is needed once I get the parts and start to OC. As a motherboard, which one is better, the AsRock or Gigabyte? they are about the same price (107 open box at Microcenter vs 109 at microcenter)

LilJoka

I'd probably purchase a water cooler if it is needed once I get the parts and start to OC. As a motherboard, which one is better, the AsRock or Gigabyte? they are about the same price (107 open box at Microcenter vs 109 at microcenter)

I dont think youll be limited with OC potential on either of the boards as the haswell chip will be limited by temps way before the board will be. So take the Gigabyte if your definitely going water, or the AsRock if you will go Air, which is probably my recommendation, as these closed liquid cooling loops have quite an ambient hum. This is me coming from the Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme to a H80i, both with fans at 500rpm.

Do they not have any other boards open box? The MSI and Asus boards are very good too.

I dont think youll be limited with OC potential on either of the boards as the haswell chip will be limited by temps way before the board will be. So take the Gigabyte if your definitely going water, or the AsRock if you will go Air, which is probably my recommendation, as these closed liquid cooling loops have quite an ambient hum. This is me coming from the Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme to a H80i, both with fans at 500rpm.

Do they not have any other boards open box? The MSI and Asus boards are very good too.
MSI is 174, ASUS is 229, Gigabyte is 107 open box, ASRock is 99.99

Regarding the GPU, I'd wait for the 800 series.

If you SLI'd your 760, you'd sell both of them to pay for your Maxwell upgrade?

Since the general rule of thumb is to move to a better single GPU, you could always sell your 760 and purchase a 770 or 780.

I was gonna sell both yeah. You know I'm warming up to the idea of just selling my 760 and putting a little bit more money down now for a 780. That'd hold a lot more value than 2 760s I assume as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nothing more fun and annoying than figuring out why your build won't boot.

Got everything into my Fractal Node build, booted into BIOS first attempt. I was feeling good. Was going to make USB the boot drive and the system turns off. From that point on, its never booted up again. I've rebuilt it 3 more times over and nothing. I think there's is a short somewhere but I've yet to pinpoint where.

Sigh.

Nothing more fun and annoying than figuring out why your build won't boot.

Got everything into my Fractal Node build, booted into BIOS first attempt. I was feeling good. Was going to make USB the boot drive and the system turns off. From that point on, its never booted up again. I've rebuilt it 3 more times over and nothing. I think there's is a short somewhere but I've yet to pinpoint where.

Sigh.
Do you have the motherboard speaker installed? Count the beeps and look up "POST beeps". That should tell you what kind of problem you have.

I'm coming around to the idea of my next PC being housed in a Fractal Design Node 304 case, which will drive a couple of key decisions as to what goes inside. The case itself is very attractive to me, and I like the idea of small-form factor, a touch of class for my PC.

My current PC is in an Antec 900 case with tonnes of blue lights and whirring fans and a tall tower shape with a window on the side and all that... It's just not my style, at all.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the case (Fractal Design Node 304), would a GTX 760 fit inside?

And a second question is, how good is the 760? Should I be looking at something else (the current price is €220 for the 2GB version).

I plan to continue using my 650w PSU, which I'm hoping would fit in and not obstruct the GPU. But I dunno. If anyone has experience with a case of this type, I like to hear about it.

I have a GTX 780 in my Node 304. I also have a Silverstone 600W PSU. They fit fine. Word of advice though. Please, please, please get a modular PSU. I wish I did. It will save you a lot of frustration.

Zero Hero

The 8800gtx is 10.5 inches long and the 270x is 10.24 inches long.

I have a 1tb external that i'm going to break apart and use. Not sure on the speed tho, might eventually replace

You seem good to go then. I have the same ssd btw and mine is already full lol. I plan to buy a 3tb hdd to add to my raid server and pull a 1tb drive out to use in my gaming pc.

You seem good to go then. I have the same ssd btw and mine is already full lol. I plan to buy a 3tb hdd to add to my raid server and pull a 1tb drive out to use in my gaming pc.

Thanks! just pulled the plug, bought everything but the MOBO/processor from amazon. When these parts come in, i'll go to microcenter and grab those. Hopefully the gigabyte will be back in stock then.

bro1

Banned
Just a note to anybody considering an EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified. This card is loud! I mean louder than any card I've had in the past year which includes a 660, 670, and 770 sli. The only card that I had that was louder were the 660's in SLI. Card runs great and is cool, just very very loud.

Serandur

Just my luck, I had everything for my new build and was just waiting on my monitor (MX239H). It arrived today (from Newegg) and the stand is busted (looks shifted to the side and is stuck; can't tilt the monitor at all and it's already tilting forward far more than it should be.

I called Newegg, asked if I could request an RMA for a refund due to the damage (planning instead to just order it from Amazon instead; I must have it by this Saturday) and they sent me the label, but now I'm afraid they'll charge me a restocking fee, if not outright reject the RMA completely because they believe I caused the damage and Amazon are charging tax on top of the base price. I don't know what to do. Would it be likely that Newegg reject my RMA and/or charge me?

Durante

Just a note to anybody considering an EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified. This card is loud! I mean louder than any card I've had in the past year which includes a 660, 670, and 770 sli. The only card that I had that was louder were the 660's in SLI. Card runs great and is cool, just very very loud.
Did you try adjusting the fan profile?

LilJoka

No, I have not. Do I need to download Precision to do that?

Yeah use EVGA Precision, tune your fan profile so at 100% usage it hits 80c maximum. Also change the power settings to 107% and 80c target to keep boost clocks available for long as possible.

Ashhong

Thanks! just pulled the plug, bought everything but the MOBO/processor from amazon. When these parts come in, i'll go to microcenter and grab those. Hopefully the gigabyte will be back in stock then.

Are you in CA? I am trying to get the 4670k from Microcenter but none in CA location :(

NoRéN

Just my luck, I had everything for my new build and was just waiting on my monitor (MX239H). It arrived today (from Newegg) and the stand is busted (looks shifted to the side and is stuck; can't tilt the monitor at all and it's already tilting forward far more than it should be.

I called Newegg, asked if I could request an RMA for a refund due to the damage (planning instead to just order it from Amazon instead; I must have it by this Saturday) and they sent me the label, but now I'm afraid they'll charge me a restocking fee, if not outright reject the RMA completely because they believe I caused the damage and Amazon are charging tax on top of the base price. I don't know what to do. Would it be likely that Newegg reject my RMA and/or charge me?
That's the one thing I hate about newegg. No shoprunner for the free returns?
Are you in CA? I am trying to get the 4670k from Microcenter but none in CA location :(
Try and pricematch to staples.

Serandur

NoRéN;106845860 said:
That's the one thing I hate about newegg. No shoprunner for the free returns?
I have shoprunner, how do I go about using it for the RMA (already requested the RMA through customer service, nobody asked about shoprunner)?

I have a premier membership too, would that be of any benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom