• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

I just learned a valuable lesson. ASUS's pcie riser card with M.2 NGFF is not the same as mSATA........

Where the hell do you buy an M.2 NGFF SSD in Canada anywhere?

LilJoka

I give up it's just not turning on. I'll go to the computer shop and get someone to set it up.

Here's some troubleshooting steps

If you've installed the motherboard into the case, remember to install the motherboard standoffs.

Things that need to be plugged in to get it to POST:
CPU
1 stick of RAM
4/8 pin CPU power plug
24 pin ATX power plug
CPU fan plug into 3 pin CPU fan header
Use the onboard GPU and remove your GPU
Power switch from front panel to the corresponding Motherboard Front panel pins. Or you can short the 2 pins with a screw driver for ease to signal ON/OFF.

Unplug everything else and see what happens.

riflen

What's the deal with these Reddit keys? How do I spot a legit seller from a scam and how can they be offered so cheaply?

Either the key is for students and provided under agreement that it's for educational use only (in which case the seller is breaking their license agreement with Microsoft), or the seller is a Microsoft partner/MSDN subscriber and has some retail keys they can sell.

These are the most likely explanations in my experience. It's not really worth Microsoft's time to chase the recipients of the keys and it means that it's one more person out there using their platform, which is only good for them because it often leads to more sales.
The same reasoning is what stops Adobe from chasing all those people with pirated Photoshop.

LilJoka

Quick question: can the i7 4770-4770k do up to 8 cores?

I know it's 4 physical but do the 8 threads basically make 4 virtual ones?

If it can utilise 8 cores, it'll utilise 8 threads too, but an 8 core will outclass an 4 core 8 thread CPU of the same architecture. But the only desktop CPU that has 8 cores (AMD) is a fair way behind the 4770 due to the efficiency of the Intel architecture.

Welp, that $230 GTX 760 was too good to pass up, so I've finished off the rest of my build in one shot. My justification is that the rest of this computer will be able to stay relevant for far longer than a 770 GTX would anyway, so might as well just feel more confident about upgrading in 2/3 years.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($140.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($229.20 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1009.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-05 17:51 EDT-0400)

I had a loose budget at around 1k, so i'm pretty pleased. Now begins the process of watching tons of youtube videos in the next 72 hours before everything comes.

Echo Six

Neo Member
For those of you who go long periods between upgrades, what do you do with your old parts? My rig is 2011-vintage and I'm not upgrading till late 2015 so trying to sell the parts is probably a waste of time. Only thing I can really think of would be to put it into a really small case as a media PC.

Oxn

Need a little help

Should I get a 770 for ~$320, so I can hold off for an 880gtx or 880 ti in mid 2015

or.....

Get a 780 for $500, but need to wait until 2016 to ungraded again.

or....

Get a 780 ti for $630, and also wait for 2016 to upgrade again.

or......

Just get the 295X2 now, ONLYYYYY if its $1000?

Keep in mind I have a 1440P, monitor now and do not intend to go to 4K until end of 2015 or 2016.

kharma45

Need a little help

Should I get a 770 for ~$320, so I can hold off for an 880gtx or 880 ti in mid 2015

or.....

Get a 780 for $500, but need to wait until 2016 to ungraded again.

or....

Get a 780 ti for $630, and also wait for 2016 to upgrade again.

or......

Just get the 295X2 now, ONLYYYYY if its $1000?

Keep in mind I have a 1440P, monitor now and do not intend to go to 4K until end of 2015 or 2016.

If you're going 1440p I'd look to the 780/Ti out of those.

AMD prices are starting to normalise now. You could get a 280X for $320 which would do better at 1440p than the 770 if you didn't want to go the full hog.

R9 290 is also just slightly less than the 780 now too, the Sapphire Toxic is $480.

For those of you who go long periods between upgrades, what do you do with your old parts? My rig is 2011-vintage and I'm not upgrading till late 2015 so trying to sell the parts is probably a waste of time. Only thing I can really think of would be to put it into a really small case as a media PC.

Sell them, lol. I live next to a post office so it takes maybe 40 minutes of my time total to list it on eBay, package it and mail it out when it sells, and then confirm shipment so I receive the money.

People are always buying old hardware, and for a decent price too. Motherboards, CPUs, video cards, all that shit dies all the time, and not everyone wants an upgrade.

Only thing I don't sell is the case, as shipping costs are prohibitive. I've got a nice collection in the basement.

Oxn

If you're going 1440p I'd look to the 780/Ti out of those.

AMD prices are starting to normalise now. You could get a 280X for $320 which would do better at 1440p than the 770 if you didn't want to go the full hog.

R9 290 is also just slightly less than the 780 now too, the Sapphire Toxic is $480.

Great suggestions while I wait till Tuesday to get the full specs of the 295X2.

Good thing those saving codes are good to Wednesday.

kharma45

I'm never that keen on dual GPUs, always prefer a good single card. Still, worth waiting to see the 295X2 properly.

M3z_

I'll sell you two EVGA ACX SC GTX 780 Ti's with backplates for $1,150 shipped assuming you are in US48. You can check my rep in the buy/sell/trade thread(or my ebay rep for that matter) I've sold plenty of high end stuff before.

Oxn

I'll sell you two EVGA ACX SC GTX 780 Ti's with backplates for $1,150 shipped assuming you are in US48. You can check my rep in the buy/sell/trade thread(or my ebay rep for that matter) I've sold plenty of high end stuff before.

No thanks, although I did lose on a Titan ebay auction today, so im a bit upset.

I put down 753. Dunno what the winner put down, but it ended at 763

Edit: may i ask why you are selling them? There really isnt anything better unless you are getting 2 titan blacks, or crazy enough to get the Titan Z.

Oxn

I'm never that keen on dual GPUs, always prefer a good single card. Still, worth waiting to see the 295X2 properly.

Quite a few pages back, but someone posted a link where the 295X2 is actually better than SLI 780 Ti, and CF 290X.

So im definitely intrigued.

shawnhi

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mGFT

Today's my birthday and I'm about to click the buy button on this setup. Any last minute recommendations? Mostly maxed on the price, but a few bucks wouldn't hurt. Like I said before, I'm looking to play Everquest Next/Landmark, DayZ, and Dolphin emulation of Xenoblade, Minecraft and mods for my daughter, among others. I'm gonna wait about 2 hours then go through with it.. all of these different combinations are driving me crazy; I just want a decent gaming rig for my birthday.

kennah

Today's my birthday and I'm about to click the buy button on this setup. Any last minute recommendations? Mostly maxed on the price, but a few bucks wouldn't hurt. Like I said before, I'm looking to play Everquest Next/Landmark, DayZ, and Dolphin emulation of Xenoblade, Minecraft and mods for my daughter, among others. I'm gonna wait about 2 hours then go through with it.. all of these different combinations are driving me crazy; I just want a decent gaming rig for my birthday.

Do not buy that power supply.

Otherwise looks good. Personally I'd ditch the hard drive for an SSD, but that's just me.

Unless you're totally set on that 15 dollar mail in rebate, get this card instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...27790&ef_id=Uq3rawAABE7c1ySq:20140406012937:s

It's like 30% faster. You should also change that PSU, pick one of the cheapest ones in the OP.

shawnhi

Do not buy that power supply.

Otherwise looks good. Personally I'd ditch the hard drive for an SSD, but that's just me.

Any recommendations for the power supply, budget minded?

SSD and other stuff can wait until next year when I have the money again to upgrade.

sgjackson

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Logisys-PS600A12-Power-Supply-Review/1211/9

It's already been said but it's really PC building truism number one: don't skimp on power supply.

M3z_

No thanks, although I did lose on a Titan ebay auction today, so im a bit upset.

I put down 753. Dunno what the winner put down, but it ended at 763

Edit: may i ask why you are selling them? There really isnt anything better unless you are getting 2 titan blacks, or crazy enough to get the Titan Z.

PM'd

NoRéN

Surprising my spouse today with her own PC. It's going to stay downstairs next to the TV so we won't have to fight over who gets to play. Excited to see it power up on my first try. Felt good!

Echo Six

Neo Member
Sell them, lol. I live next to a post office so it takes maybe 40 minutes of my time total to list it on eBay, package it and mail it out when it sells, and then confirm shipment so I receive the money.

People are always buying old hardware, and for a decent price too. Motherboards, CPUs, video cards, all that shit dies all the time, and not everyone wants an upgrade.

Only thing I don't sell is the case, as shipping costs are prohibitive. I've got a nice collection in the basement.

That surprises me, not that I'm complaining! Just assumed it would all be obsolete.

Laptop is currently in the process of shitting the bed.

Your Current Specs: Asus G51 Laptop 4GB ram, Core i7 -720QM, Geforce GTX360M

Budget: $800-$1000 USD including mouse, monitor and keyboard.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 4, Gaming 3, School 4

General usage including photoshop, writing.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p Either through monitor or my 55 LED

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Diablo 3, ESO , Titanfall, BF 4

Looking to reuse any parts?: No

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? No deadline

Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, but only if I go with the 4670k

I want to go mini ITX with the Fractal Design Node 304. Thinking either a R9 270x or Geforece GTX 760, not sure which makes more sense for 1080/60. Also, I find it hard to NOT just got with the 4670k since overclocking is such an easy cheap upgrade. What are some other suggestions for 1080/60 in intel if Im not going to overclock? Also, is it worth it to go with a 4670k if I could get a 3570k for $15 less? Not worried about SLI or Crossfire, obviously with going with a mini ITX case.

Thanks

Lizardus

Laptop is currently in the process of shitting the bed.

Your Current Specs: Asus G51 Laptop 4GB ram, Core i7 -720QM, Geforce GTX360M

Budget: $800-$1000 USD including mouse, monitor and keyboard.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 4, Gaming 3, School 4

General usage including photoshop, writing.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p Either through monitor or my 55 LED

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Diablo 3, ESO , Titanfall, BF 4

Looking to reuse any parts?: No

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? No deadline

Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, but only if I go with the 4670k

I want to go mini ITX with the Fractal Design Node 304. Thinking either a R9 270x or Geforece GTX 760, not sure which makes more sense for 1080/60. Also, I find it hard to NOT just got with the 4670k since overclocking is such an easy cheap upgrade. What are some other suggestions for 1080/60 in intel if Im not going to overclock? Also, is it worth it to go with a 4670k if I could get a 3570k for $15 less? Not worried about SLI or Crossfire, obviously with going with a mini ITX case.

Thanks

If all you want is 1080/60, either of those GPUs will be fine. Get the 4670k
and download more cores for Watch_Dogs

EDIT: Just saw that you needed to use Photoshop. I believe an i7 with its hyperthreading might be useful there but I'll let others chime in here. An SSD will definitely help with Photoshop.

Indignate

Put together another build. Liking this one a lot more, but I wouldn't mind a quick once over by those with more expertise.

I am getting this note on pcpartpicker though "Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mOOZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mOOZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mOOZ/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.00 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $952.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-06 01:47 EDT-0400)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, I have a replacement mobo on the way for the Fractal Node I still believe it will work for my needs and I prefer single card set ups anyways. Not to mention I don't currently have the space for a triple monitor set up or the scratch for a 4K monitor. =P

Hopefully this mobo will work as intended and I can get my build up and running tomorrow evening. =)

This is the Nvidia response to mantle that they showed recently right? Wonder when the next driver with the BF4,star swarm and thief improvements come.

Yes, this is it. That's the page for the chinese language mobile version, which seems to have been put up two days early. A lot of nice improvements cited there, and apparently it's for every DX11 game.

Since the improvements are CPU-related, they'll vary depending on how fast your CPU and GPU are obviously, and then further by game, and even then it'll vary depending on the section of the game. Though if it's anything like Mantle, it should provide a noticeable improvement in "smoothness" in the worst case offenders (Tomb Raider's Shanty Town section comes to mind, frame rate for me there had more drops than a dubstep track just panning the camera around) even if the gains are really slight.

I don't know about it being a response to Mantle, since Nvidia has always had more efficient drivers and these kinds of gains don't just happen in a couple month's work. They've probably been working on it for a while. Plus, I doubt either DX11 driver can ever be as efficient as Mantle since they don't have the luxury of throwing compatibility out the window and starting from scratch like AMD did with Mantle. Though something like this which applies to every game is more attractive (to me) for sure.

appaws

Banned
OK, I'm here with some questions about starting out in custom water cooling...figured I'd try here since I love youse guys...

I picked up an Air 540 today. I want to start out in the wonderful world of custom water cooling...

My plan was to just buy one of those kits from XSPC...good reviews all around and good prices, etc. Like 150 bucks for everything a noob needs!

But I see that they all come with that combo res/pump thing that fits into 2 optical bays. But the Air 540 has the 5 1/4 spots turned on the side, so I can't do that....I am pretty sure.

So what should I do...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom