• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthos

Put together another build. Liking this one a lot more, but I wouldn't mind a quick once over by those with more expertise.

I am getting this note on pcpartpicker though "Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Pretty good build honestly. The only thing I'm not sure about is the power supply. I don't really know much about that. I have that graphics card and it's solid.

TheD

The Detective
Yes, this is it. That's the page for the chinese language mobile version, which seems to have been put up two days early. A lot of nice improvements cited there, and apparently it's for every DX11 game.

Since the improvements are CPU-related, they'll vary depending on how fast your CPU and GPU are obviously, and then further by game, and even then it'll vary depending on the section of the game. Though if it's anything like Mantle, it should provide a noticeable improvement in "smoothness" in the worst case offenders (Tomb Raider's Shanty Town section comes to mind, frame rate for me there had more drops than a dubstep track just panning the camera around) even if the gains are really slight.

I don't know about it being a response to Mantle, since Nvidia has always had more efficient drivers and these kinds of gains don't just happen in a couple month's work. They've probably been working on it for a while. Plus, I doubt either DX11 driver can ever be as efficient as Mantle since they don't have the luxury of throwing compatibility out the window and starting from scratch like AMD did with Mantle. Though something like this which applies to every game is more attractive (to me) for sure.

That looks really awesome.
Too bad sites like wccftech are already spreading shit about how the improvements are due to Tiled Resources, bar the fact that only DX11.2 and up supports them, games need to be programmed to support it and that it is for helping save texture memory/bandwidth usage (think better version of Megatexture).

LordAlu

Put together another build. Liking this one a lot more, but I wouldn't mind a quick once over by those with more expertise.

I am getting this note on pcpartpicker though "Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."
The Kingston stuff needs 1.65V to run at 1600MHz, but since Haswell wants 1.5V it will lower the memory speed to 1333MHz @ 1.5V to compensate. You could just swap out to the G.Skill Ares for about the same price to get 1600MHz @ 1.5V. I'd swap out that power supply for a better one at a similar price, like the XFX 550W Gold ($70 after discount at NCIX) or the Seasonic M12 520.

Faith

For those of you who go long periods between upgrades, what do you do with your old parts? My rig is 2011-vintage and I'm not upgrading till late 2015 so trying to sell the parts is probably a waste of time. Only thing I can really think of would be to put it into a really small case as a media PC.
I always give it to my brother or to other relatives.

Either the key is for students and provided under agreement that it's for educational use only (in which case the seller is breaking their license agreement with Microsoft), or the seller is a Microsoft partner/MSDN subscriber and has some retail keys they can sell.

These are the most likely explanations in my experience. It's not really worth Microsoft's time to chase the recipients of the keys and it means that it's one more person out there using their platform, which is only good for them because it often leads to more sales.
The same reasoning is what stops Adobe from chasing all those people with pirated Photoshop.
Given Gaf's stance on games piracy and on cheap games cd key resellers it's always struck me as an anomoly that people are directed to softwareswap where the chances of it being an illegal resell of an edu license key are extremely high

ACIDTITAN

Banned
samsung_ud590_perspective_black_march_2014-100258481-large.png

http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN#

Bleepey

Here's some troubleshooting steps

If you've installed the motherboard into the case, remember to install the motherboard standoffs.

Things that need to be plugged in to get it to POST:
CPU
1 stick of RAM
4/8 pin CPU power plug
24 pin ATX power plug
CPU fan plug into 3 pin CPU fan header
Use the onboard GPU and remove your GPU
Power switch from front panel to the corresponding Motherboard Front panel pins. Or you can short the 2 pins with a screw driver for ease to signal ON/OFF.

Unplug everything else and see what happens.

I have a cx 430 and h87 pro4 if there are any guides as to where to plug things in.

ACIDTITAN

Banned
NV_Logo_3D_Horizontal_DarkType.png

Performance Gains.

GeForce GTX 700 Series (Single GPU):

Up to 64% in Total War: Rome II
Up to 25% in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Up to 23% in Sleeping Dogs
Up to 21% in Star Swarm
Up to 15% in Batman: Arkham Origins
Up to 10% in Metro: Last Light
Up to 8% in Hitman Absolution
Up to 7% in Sniper Elite V2
Up to 6% in Tomb Raider
Up to 6% in F1 2013
GeForce GTX 700 Series (SLI):

Up to 71% in Total War: Rome II
Up to 53% in Sniper Elite V2
Up to 45% in Aliens vs. Predator
Up to 31% in Sleeping Dogs
Up to 20% in CoD: Black Ops 2
Up to 10% in Hitman Absolution
Up to 9% in F1 2013
Up to 7% in Far Cry 3
Up to 6% in Metro: Last Light
Up to 6% in Batman: Arkham Origins

http://videocardz.com/50176/nvidias-geforce-337-50-wonder-driver-released-april-7th
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/74732

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mGFT

Today's my birthday and I'm about to click the buy button on this setup. Any last minute recommendations? Mostly maxed on the price, but a few bucks wouldn't hurt. Like I said before, I'm looking to play Everquest Next/Landmark, DayZ, and Dolphin emulation of Xenoblade, Minecraft and mods for my daughter, among others. I'm gonna wait about 2 hours then go through with it.. all of these different combinations are driving me crazy; I just want a decent gaming rig for my birthday.

Over 200 bucks for a CPU, but no 40bucks for a good PSU? Are you kidding?

Neer, EVER buy cheap PSUs like that. I'd rather go with cheaper RAM, CPU or GPU instead of saving on the PSU. Cause in the end, this is what will make your PC no fun at all, a 500w(prolly 250w real) PSU

TheD

The Detective
Just a general warning to anyone with windows 8.1 and is thinking of buying a Crucial M500 SSD.

The windows installer will see the Opal encryption support and automatically enable that mode (but not force you to set a password for it), in doing so it disables a bunch of commands in the SSD like secure erase, this would not be a problem if they provided a tool to send the "REVERT" command to wipe the drive and put it back in normal mode, but crucial are too lazy to do that, so if you get the drive in that state you are fucked.

With the best drivers a lot of people experience black screens in Planetside.(like myself) screen goes black as the driver crashes. Takes a couple of seconds to restart.

Likely SOE's insane incompetence has something to do with it.

Bleepey

Follow this image, as i said, for now dont plug the GPU in, use the onboard Video output. All of this info can be found in your motherboard manual, so make sure you give a that a read.

Did it completely like this and nope not working. My mate suspects the PSU is faulty cos I tried the safety pin trick and it didn't work.

Edit: if I turn it on and of a couple time it may occasionally briefly turn on. Briefly being the light flickers on for half a second and back to nothing.

LilJoka

Did it completely like this and nope not working. My mate suspects the PSU is faulty cos I tried the safety pin trick and it didn't work.

Edit: if I turn it on and of a couple time it may occasionally briefly turn on. Briefly being the light flickers on for half a second and back to nothing.

Just make sure your doing the paper clip trick correctly, if that fails to have the PSU fan spinning and on, then id say that would be my first bet.

Also just make sure the RAM is fully inserted into the slot, the clips should be able to be pushed inwards so that they sit inside the little slots made on the vertical edges of the ram.

kharma45

Yeah you ideally want RAM at 1.5V or less. For that RAM to get the 1600MHz speed it needs more volts. Build wise if you get nearer the 1K mark you'd be able to get an overclockable i5 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mWfE

cyen

I have 4x4GB Trident X 2400Mhz that operates at 1.65V on a 4770k without any problem as of today.

By next week, I'll finally have enough money to get the long overdue CPU upgrade I've wanted for a while--i'll likely be getting an i5 3570k--but I'm nervous as hell about screwing it up. I've never changed a CPU or removed a motherboard from a system before. I hope it goes well...

Anything in particular I should be extra careful about?

axb2013

By next week, I'll finally have enough money to get the long overdue CPU upgrade I've wanted for a while--i'll likely be getting an i5 3570k--but I'm nervous as hell about screwing it up. I've never changed a CPU or removed a motherboard from a system before. I hope it goes well...

Static discharge. Just touch the non painted parts of the case frequently or get a bracelet, they are cheap. Pay attention to standoffs for the mobo. You could also look up forum posts and articles regarding to specific CPU and mobo combo you are getting to avoid surprises.

Be sure to not press the CPU into the board too hard, might damage the pins. Gently press it down, should fit quite easily.

Also, just in case, don't wear rubber-socks and touch one of your heaters or the PSU to ground yourself: You don't want to get that sparkling feel when touching your hardware, might destroy something too.

// Also you'll need thermal paste if you want to use your current CPU cooler. If you use a boxed one, they often (like always) come with thermal paste on them already.

GAF what type of defect does my new 1440P monitor (BenQ BL2710PT) have:

http://min.us/i/G6ir884GtCKG

I hope the pic is good enough to see it. All I have is my phone or Ipad for taking photos. I didn't notice it till today (had the monitor since Thursday). The most annoying part is its almost in the middle of the monitor. Its really only visible on light colored screens.

Water

Yes, that's why I said I'll believe it when I see it for myself.

I'm just not sure what there is to 'believe'. The only place that seems to call the driver a 'wonder driver' is Videocardz, and it's just randomly in the headline to troll for page hits, or maybe half as sarcasm. If you read the text, even Videocardz is not in fact claiming or expecting it to be a 'wonder driver'. With luck, the driver will produce decent improvements in some conditions that matter. With extraordinary luck, it will really help some games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is a weird part suggestion question but...

I currently have a 4850 as my video card. I plan to upgrade some time next year, and don't need advice about upgrading. Unfortunately, the 4850 I have has one VGA port and one DVI port, so I've never hooked my PC up to my television. I'm interested in doing so.

As far as I can tell, my options are the following:
1) Get a DVI->HDMI converter, and separately run audio from one of my audio-out jacks to my TV.
2) Get a new video card.

I'm not ready to upgrade (and video card prices right now are bonkers, I'm guessing because of crypto currency madness), but I was thinking I'd probably do okay if I tried to side-grade.

As a result, I'm looking for the CHEAPEST possible card that gives me performance comparable to my 4850 and has HDMI out. Below $100 certainly--I think I only spent $200-220 on my 4850 in 2008 so the idea of spending say $170+ on a comparable card today seems insane. If it can be smaller or draw less power or generate less heat, that's great too. I looked at benchmarks but didn't see any obvious 1:1 candidate.

Any ideas?

kennah

Dvi and hdmi are pin compatible. Your card should output audio through a dvi-hdmi cable.

I had a 4850 moons ago and I'm sure it did the same thing. In fact I still have the dvi-hdmi adaptor that came with it if you want it.

Edit - any $100 card should come with hdmi an be an upgrade on your 4850. A 7770 or 7790 would be a good choice.

Or get a 750 Ti for a huge low power upgrade for about $160 cdn

kennah

A quick google shows me that it's easiest to setup with the dongle that comes with it. PM me your address and I'll mail you one tomorrow.

Why'd they end up calling them 760 and 770 if they are the same? o_O

Don't they always do that?

This is a weird part suggestion question but...

I currently have a 4850 as my video card. I plan to upgrade some time next year, and don't need advice about upgrading. Unfortunately, the 4850 I have has one VGA port and one DVI port, so I've never hooked my PC up to my television. I'm interested in doing so.

As far as I can tell, my options are the following:
1) Get a DVI->HDMI converter, and separately run audio from one of my audio-out jacks to my TV.
2) Get a new video card.

I'm not ready to upgrade (and video card prices right now are bonkers, I'm guessing because of crypto currency madness), but I was thinking I'd probably do okay if I tried to side-grade.

As a result, I'm looking for the CHEAPEST possible card that gives me performance comparable to my 4850 and has HDMI out. Below $100 certainly--I think I only spent $200-220 on my 4850 in 2008 so the idea of spending say $170+ on a comparable card today seems insane. If it can be smaller or draw less power or generate less heat, that's great too. I looked at benchmarks but didn't see any obvious 1:1 candidate.

Any ideas?
Wait, your TV has HDMI but no VGA/DVI in at all?

Diablos

I'm just not sure what there is to 'believe'. The only place that seems to call the driver a 'wonder driver' is Videocardz, and it's just randomly in the headline to troll for page hits, or maybe half as sarcasm. If you read the text, even Videocardz is not in fact claiming or expecting it to be a 'wonder driver'. With luck, the driver will produce decent improvements in some conditions that matter. With extraordinary luck, it will really help some games.
haha, true, I suppose we shouldn't take a site called "videocardz" too seriously.

Bleepey

Ok. My mate came over and said that I input the wires improperly. It turns on now. However it says please power down and connect the pci e power cables for this card.. I connected the 6 pins at the top...

FLAguy954

Alright, picked a 600W EVGA power supply similar to the one in the OP. done. finally. two more days and it's install time!

Did you just order that PSU? If so I would reconsider it or return it. Check out these two threads on Overclocking.net on PSU recommendations and EVGA PSU info (and why they ARE NOT recommended):

Recommended PSUs
EVGA PSU info thread

I purchased an EVGA PSU earlier this year thinking it was a good deal until those two threads educated me. I am now rocking a SeaSonic 620W fully modular PSU as a result.

cory64

A GTX 750 or an R7 260 are probably your best options, Stump, with the 750 having much better power efficiency. They don't look like they'll lose their resell value next year as fast as some of the other cheaper options. Or just save some money and try the DVI–HDMI dongle, it's worked for me before.

Chozolore

This gives you room to play with to say get a Gold rated PSU like the Cosair RM or a different CPU cooler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£121.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£95.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.50 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£238.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£56.68 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Other: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 530W Power Supply (£60.36)
Total: £865.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 21:14 GMT+0000)

You could also change the GPU to an R9 290 as well within your budget, they're around £330 or so like this ASUS one with BF4 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

It's a very power hungry card though and whilst that Be Quiet! should be enough you could move up to a good 650w for it and still come within budget. All depends on what you want to spend.

Thanks to Kharma45 for the build, if I could, I'd tip you. It all works, installing Windows is the biggest hassle, closely followed by cable management.

I substituted the power supply for a corsair due to supply / impatience, and note to self, get a modular cable version next time. I reckon that's worth more than the price delta.

Should I overclock? gigabyte bios confuses the hell out of me, a lot of reading to be done there.

My big concern was the cooler fitting, I followed the guides from the OP 4mm pea to processor, I'm getting 27c idle and 61c after 60mins of Prime95. So I think that's looking fine? two cores are averaging diff to the other two ~0.5-1c hotter, is that normal.

Anyway, is there room for an OC if I read up on it?

kharma45

Thanks to Kharma45 for the build, if I could, I'd tip you. It all works, installing Windows is the biggest hassle, closely followed by cable management.

I substituted the power supply for a corsair due to supply / impatience, and note to self, get a modular cable version next time. I reckon that's worth more than the price delta.

Should I overclock? gigabyte bios confuses the hell out of me, a lot of reading to be done there.

My big concern was the cooler fitting, I followed the guides from the OP 4mm pea to processor, I'm getting 27c idle and 61c after 60mins of Prime95. So I think that's looking fine? two cores are averaging diff to the other two ~0.5-1c hotter, is that normal.

Anyway, is there room for an OC if I read up on it?

Cable management has always been my biggest hassle as I'm such an anal bastard about it all.

Yeah modular PSUs are the bomb, pity the modular Be Quiet! I recommended had stock issues. I don't think you can even get the version of it that I bought last year any more, haven't seen it around at least.

Yes you should overclock. It's quite easy to do once you get a bit of background reading done. A lot less complicated than in years gone by. Have a read over this stuff and it should help you out. Ideally you're aiming for 4.2GHz with a Haswell chip and anything above that is a bonus imo. As long as you keep within the recommended voltages and don't exceed 85c on Prime95 you can try for up to 4.5GHz or so. Every CPU is different so don't be put off if you can't get an OC stable past 4.2GHz.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

Temperature wise at the minute those are fine, and it's normal for some variation between cores.

LordAlu

I think the 530W modular is discontinued, I can only see one supplier with stock and they have like 6. They have released a 500W Pure Power L8 which there is loads of, but it isn't modular anymore. :(

Weirdly you can still get the 630W version no problem, there's plenty of UK stock for that and it's still less than £70. :p

Edit: The BeQuiet! website doesn't even list the L8 range anymore. Although they do have a nice looking 350W PSU on there :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom