• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

axb2013

^^^ Damn man, going by Google conversion rate, that's less than what i'm paying my 780... i'm outside the US though, so too bad.

My case has a pretty big (7.8") fan right next to the PSU (on the side panel), or do you mean like one specific for the PSU? Anyhow, again thanks for the help, i think i'll get the GPU and see how it goes, change things around if problems arise.

It's not like there's the risk of breaking anything (but the PSU) permanently, right?

You are golden with that side fan. Out of curiosity, which case it it?

Is the 780 that much better? The 770 has 4GB of GDDR5, while the 780 has 3GB.

Not exactly $20 headphones, but I am no audiophile. According to the OP, onboard sound has come a long way and to be honest, I probably couldn't tell the difference.

edit: Last question was meant to be self deprecating humor... as I am over building my PC and I do not possess the technical knowledge to get the most out of it. I'm in over my head.

LOL my sense of humor completely off today.
As for VRAM, I would ignore it. 2GB is enough for 1080p, cards available today will age long before VRAM becomes an issue. I have decent headphones, Sennheiser HD 439 got them for $90 a while ago, on board audio is really fine.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you understand what it's like to be a total noob. Can I ask a few follow ups?

Obviously taking your time is important and all that, but is there anything during the build process you can totally fuck up if you aren't careful? Like a bent pin or something that can cost you 300 bucks?

About the SSD? This works in addition to the HDD right? So what would be a reasonable size to get if 64gb is on the small size? Or is it not about the size but rather about the kind?

About installing the OS? Is reddit software swap "above board"? I'd rather pay the extra money if I knew I wasn't violating any sort of restrictions or anything.. I'm a pansy when it comes to that sort of thing.

Static discharge. I never had it happen to me but rather safe than sorry. Just touch the metal part of the case frequently to ground out and avoid building your rig on a carpet because of it. A long time ago I got zapped when I grabbed my mouse, it shut off but came back like a minute later. I don't know of a single case of it actually happening but in theory static can permanently fry your parts. If you are really worried about it, you can get a bracelet, attach the other end of it to the case and you are good to go. Really, just common sense prevents most of the issues you may run into. When you build for the first time you will make mistakes but as long as you aren't a complete idiot, you'll be fine. Nowadays, instructions and how to videos are at your fingertips, it's like having a pro right at your side.

When I was putting my 3rd rig together, I did it alone and being stubborn I insisted on having my raptors in raid 0, for which I needed a working floppy drive to install the driver. Now, floppy is dead (finally) there are multiple ways to install an OS, updating a BIOS is no longer a PITA as it used to be, Anyone who was building computers for a long time will tell you it's really easy now, especially since you can find answers and videos on a smartphone.

You can use a 64GB SSD, put the OS install and your most used apps on it, maybe your favorite game too.

Officially joining the ranks of PC GAF! Parts are on their way!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k - $190
CPU Fan: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo: $30
GPU: MSI GTX 770 1.1Ghz 2GB - $320
Mobo: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 - $85 (thank you Microcenter)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $63 (will get another stick later)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk - $120
Storage: WD Black 3.5 1TB 7200rpm, Seagate Barracuda 3.5 3TB, Seagate Momentous SSHD 500GB - Already have it
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case - $95
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $80
Total: $983 (tax not included)

What makes this even better is I used a $25 Amazon gift card, $50 Visa gift card, and $170 Visa card (all won over time). Bringing me to $743, which is pretty freakin awesome for what I got.

I would hurry up with the second stick. You will run slower til you do and make sure it's the exactly the same part number. Memory has always been notorious for not liking to work with other sticks. Even when I was putting this PC together I was given a pair by a friend because he couldn't get them to work in his rig. Exact specs, totally compatible on paper but the pair wouldn't work with any other memory. I have it to another friend and same thing again, he used them alone for another build he did. BTW, when you guys install the sticks, don't install them right next to each other, always into 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th slot.

SSD prices are so good now, really tempted to get one but I am waiting for Samsung to release their new one, see what the prices, features and performance of those are.

Only am a bit afraid they are more expensive and that the old ones run out of stock.

scogoth

Could anyone recommend a way to increase the screen count on a computer with only one display Port and one VGA port? I've been reading a bit and it seems that USB to VGA might work but performance isn't that great for video.

Each computer would need to support 4 screens which would mean one VGA monitor, one DP monitor and a way to split the output for two more? Most of the screens I have are VGA only but I could probably get 1 VGA and 3 display port monitors for each computer. Or a couple of VGA to DVI adapters?

Display port MST hub
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mst-hub-1-3.html

Check to make sure that the display port on the computer supports MST before you buy it tough. USB to VGA ones are meh, picture is usually a little fuzzy. There is also USB to DVI for but I've never tried one before http://ca.startech.com/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/USB-DVI-External-Multi-Monitor-Video-Adapter~USB2DVI

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I'm looking at the 780 gtx ghz edition Windforce by Gigabyte. It's beating out titans and 290s in some benchmarks. Do you think that's finally a good upgrade from sli 570s?

LordAlu

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you understand what it's like to be a total noob. Can I ask a few follow ups?

Obviously taking your time is important and all that, but is there anything during the build process you can totally fuck up if you aren't careful? Like a bent pin or something that can cost you 300 bucks?
Only if you rush. I work for a reseller here and I see people with years of experience bring stuff back that they've broken and tried to claim they bought it like that. Just take your time. You can't bend the motherboard pins unless you're installing the processor incorrectly - there's plenty of guides about it, but the easiest thing I find is to line up the notches and just lightly drop it in, the clamp will do all the rest.

About the SSD? This works in addition to the HDD right? So what would be a reasonable size to get if 64gb is on the small size? Or is it not about the size but rather about the kind?
120GB-250GB is enough. Windows will take up about 20-25GB in general, plus whatever programs you install. If you put one or two games on there it soon adds up. It works in addition to a standard mechanical drive, which should be used for storage. Brand does make a difference as different manufacturers use different memory types and controllers - stay away from the Kingston V300 series! You can't really go wrong with the Samsung EVO or Crucial M500.

About installing the OS? Is reddit software swap "above board"? I'd rather pay the extra money if I knew I wasn't violating any sort of restrictions or anything.. I'm a pansy when it comes to that sort of thing.
There are many GAFfers on here who have bought their Windows key on Reddit and none of them have had any problem - they've all been legit keys, usually either from a student program or MSDN. Microsoft don't like the sellers that much, but they won't go after the actual keys or purchasers at all, as it means one less user of a pirated copy and the possibility of them purchasing further Microsoft software.

So random question about monitors.

I see a lot of monitors advertised locally as being "144hz". This seems like a very random number, and I'm wondering if these things typically have a 120hz mode or something like that to place nicely with games running at 30 or 60 locked.

Also, how long till I can get G-sync compatible stuff in Aus? Or is it already out?

2San

I see a lot of monitors advertised locally as being "144hz". This seems like a very random number, and I'm wondering if these things typically have a 120hz mode or something like that.
Well yeah, you can always go down. The trouble is that some technically challenged devs like Crytek lock the refresh rate to 50Hz. So you unlock it with Nvidia's drivers, but the only options are let the program choose or use the maximum available. 144Hz is 6 times 24Hz

I see a lot of monitors advertised locally as being "144hz". This seems like a very random number, and I'm wondering if these things typically have a 120hz mode or something like that to place nicely with games running at 30 or 60 locked.

Also, how long till I can get G-sync compatible stuff in Aus? Or is it already out?

Yeah, the monitors also have a 120Hz mode.

Even in the US I think it is not possible to get G-Sync right now as it is sold out in the few places it is sold, so I imagine it would still take some time. I think right now it is also only still the ASUS that is compatible.

Lexxism

Guys. Is GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified better than GeForce GTX 780 SuperClocked? Or is it the other way around?

Read the specs.

Cheers guys.

Next question - I'm thinking of trying for a refund instead of a replacement on my 770 4gb that I sent back today then upgrading to a 780. The Gigabyte 780 OC and Gigabyte 780 GHz edition are the two I'm mainly looking at. One is $40 more than the other as you can see. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra.

GHz Edition is enthusiast grade, overclocking and such. Also likely binned, so the silicon lottery is more likely to ding ding ding for you if you get that one.

It's worth it even if you don't overclock, because Boost will work better on better chips.

I think on board sound is fine for most people and a sound card only makes sense when one makes an equal investment in the sound output as well. Meaning don't run out and buy a $150 sound card if you'll use $20 headphones.
I'm not sure what you mean with the last question.

I'm using 120$ headphones and my onboard sound is just fine. Can't complain.
Ofc, if you plan on running a high quality 5.1 or 7.1 sound system, you'll want to get a sound card.

jfoul

Cheers guys.

Next question - I'm thinking of trying for a refund instead of a replacement on my 770 4gb that I sent back today then upgrading to a 780. The Gigabyte 780 OC and Gigabyte 780 GHz edition are the two I'm mainly looking at. One is $40 more than the other as you can see. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra.

The factory overclock between the OC & GHZ is small, but the GHZ has a back-plate and uses Hynix memory. In the states, the cards are the same price so the decision is easy. In my option, if you are spending that much on a video card already you might as well get the higher binned card.

HardOCP gave the card a glowing review.

Serandur

The factory overclock between the OC & GHZ is small, but the GHZ has a back-plate and uses Hynix memory. In the states, the cards are the same price so the decision is easy. In my option, if you are spending that much on a video card already you might as well get the higher binned card.

HardOCP gave the card a glowing review.

It's either an unfortunate compromise Gigabyte have decided to make or just really bad luck on my part, but I just got a 780 GHz edition just a few days ago and despite the reviews, mine has Elpida RAM, not Hynix.

jfoul

It's either an unfortunate compromise Gigabyte have decided to make or just really bad luck on my part, but I just got a 780 GHz edition just a few days ago and despite the reviews, mine has Elpida RAM, not Hynix.

Thanks for sharing.

I thought the GHZ all had Hynix.

Garcia

Wise GAF, I need some advice. Between these 2 video cards, which would be considered the best?

Radeon R9 270X VS. Nvidia GTX 660 Ti.

I just ran a comparison but I would like to know GAF's opinion on the subject. These are the results:

lsFl99g.jpg

kennah

Wise GAF, I need some advice. Between these 2 video cards, which would be considered the best?

Radeon R9 270X VS. Nvidia GTX 660 Ti.

I just ran a comparison but I would like to know GAF's opinion on the subject. These are the results:

lsFl99g.jpg

1. Why those cards specifically?

2. They're pretty close, go with whichever is cheaper unless you need the nvidia features (PhysX, ShadowPlay)

kiyomi

Kind of a random question but do you guys have any good recommendations for USB 3.0 flash drives? I was gonna grab a couple of these but the reviews of the 8GB model in particular put me off, saying they were low speed.

I want something to install Windows 8.1 on (8GB+?) and something else to move some videos around, 16GB+. Any recommendations? Thanks.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Curious if i could get some opinions on my new temps.

I am using a i5 4650 (not overclocked) and would notice some games (specifically Borderlands 1) would drive my cpu temps from about 30-35C to 50-55C and the fan would spin up to 1400rpm which for the stock fan is very loud. Dialed down the fan a bit and then the temps would just go higher (low 60s).

Reapplied thermal paste with no real change so I tossed in a Cool Master T4. Temps now are 25-30C idle and 40-45C during Borderlands 1 after an hour.

During gaming HDDs are 25-30C and gtx 770 sits at 40ish. These temps all safe and sound about right with the CM T4 installed?

Waveset

I'm ready to face a sobering reality but would appreciate someone's knowledgeable input.

My desktop is a Mac Pro running a quad Xeon 2.66Ghz W3520 (Nehalem).

Is there a comparable i5/i7 so I can find some grounding and consider what to look at when evaluating an upgrade in order to run good quality VR and 60FPS/1200p (GPU can be upgraded so I think the CPU will be the bottleneck).

Water

I'm ready to face a sobering reality but would appreciate someone's knowledgeable input.

My desktop is a Mac Pro running a quad Xeon 2.66Ghz W3520 (Nehalem).

Is there a comparable i5/i7 so I can find some grounding and consider what to look at when evaluating an upgrade in order to run good quality VR and 60FPS/1200p (GPU can be upgraded so I think the CPU will be the bottleneck).
Same as always - get the 4670K or 4770K. They are the top of the range and only cost around $200-300, so unless you are going for a true budget build (which a VR setup obviously isn't) there's no reason not to get them. The choice between the two comes down to the 4770K costing a bit more and being up to 20-30% faster in specific productivity stuff like compiling; in games they are largely equal.

Both are much, much faster than your old Xeon to begin with, and if you overclock them a bit, they'll be about twice as fast. If you don't want to overclock, get the equivalent non-K version or an equivalent Xeon. That also allows you to also get a slightly cheaper motherboard and stick with the stock CPU cooler for a total of maybe $100 savings compared to the overclock setup.

2San

Curious if i could get some opinions on my new temps.

I am using a i5 4650 (not overclocked) and would notice some games (specifically Borderlands 1) would drive my cpu temps from about 30-35C to 50-55C and the fan would spin up to 1400rpm which for the stock fan is very loud. Dialed down the fan a bit and then the temps would just go higher (low 60s).

Reapplied thermal paste with no real change so I tossed in a Cool Master T4. Temps now are 25-30C idle and 40-45C during Borderlands 1 after an hour.

During gaming HDDs are 25-30C and gtx 770 sits at 40ish. These temps all safe and sound about right with the CM T4 installed?
Looks pretty cool to me.

Ashhong

So I see that Amazon dropped their price of the 4670k to 190$. That's a great price right? Been really back and forth on building a new comp but I might just jump in...

Any other sites matching that price? Stupid tax in California now..

Firebrand

This isn't really about hardware itself, but has anyone gotten a BF4 AMD code bundled with hardware recently? Because while activating it, I get this:
I don't quite understand if I'm giving up BF4 for the kinda crappy Gold reward, or adding to it. Since I have to make a choice I assume it's the former, but it'd nice to know for sure.

4GB 770 is a waste of money. Either the 2GB version or the 780 is the way to go.

This is incorrect, the 4GB is normally an extra 30-50 bucks and helps out in games like Titanfall and Skyrim. The 256 bus does make use of the extra memory, (Skyrim Performance Monitor shows this as an example) as it gets flooded easily and the extra storage for assets helps alleviate that without having to swap to your main memory. In addition to that, with the new consoles, I can't recommend 2GB's of VRAM to anyone. I imagine that's going to get obsolete very quickly.

0_0

Somebody needs to hop on this...

That's a good price for those cards, without question. I'm still holding out for the 790 or what lies beyond though. I really think there's going to be some megatons in the next 1-2 years.

I'm looking at the 780 gtx ghz edition Windforce by Gigabyte. It's beating out titans and 290s in some benchmarks. Do you think that's finally a good upgrade from sli 570s?

I have the 780 ghz from Gigabyte and it is a beast. Very worth it in my opinion. It allows you to win the silicon lottery right out of the box. No fuss needed. Mine boosts up to 1167mhz which is extremely good for a 780.

epik

hey GAF! .. Just built a new pc ... super excited.

7015_10100711338844771_92834809_n.jpg

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooling
Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower
Corsair 1050W PS
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Noctia 140mm Case Fans

So, what should I be playing? Any tips of tricks to maximize power and efficiency?

MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Corsair 1050W PS
Noctia 140mm Case Fans

So, what should I be playing? Any tips of tricks to maximize power and efficiency?

Uhm, overclock I guess? But I assume you already figured that out. And the new NVidia drivers could give some nice performance benefits.

As for games, Crysis 3 and Metro: Last Light are gorgeous, although Crysis 3 is kind of shit. Battlefield 4 singleplayer probably looks great too, but is also shit.

I could also list PC exclusives, but I can't really think of a graphical powerhouse that came out recently.

axb2013

MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Corsair 1050W PS
Noctia 140mm Case Fans

Noctua fans... I already like you. Always a little quieter while moving a little more air than others. When I first saw their 140mm fan lines up perfectly with holes for 120mm fans= mind blown. Such a simple thing yet genius.

If you are into OC, check you card's ASIC rating, GPU-Z will tell you. Really though, no need for that.

As for games, I
ll recommend a few <$10 titles. With your new rig, I would go and crush maxed out Crysis with mods. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory can be made pretty with sweetfx and ENB though even vanilla it's a great game. World in Conflict, Defense Grid are great too though it really depends on your taste.

epik

Awesome thanks guys! .. I can already cross crysis off the list.. shed a tear when I played it maxed out at 60 frames ... haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom