• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Ok guys, so this is what I have picked out so far

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.05 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $57.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $140.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $465.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 12:36 EDT-0400)

Few questions:

1. Is this PSU better than the Antec 550 recommended in the OP? It's cheap right now with a rebate, semi modular like the Antec, but is rated Bronze while the Antec isn't rated anything (don't know what that really means). I also like Corsair, the previous ones have been good to me.

2. Still need to do some digging on the mother board. I'm not too sure what to look for really. I just know I need a Z87 board and that's about it...

3. Trying to decide between a R7 265 and an R9 270. They are only about 10-20$ apart. Any thoughts on which one to get?

Thanks!

Bii

I have a GTX 780 SC w/ ACX cooler. Is it pointless to try to overclock?

Not at all. As long as it stays as cool as you want it to be, you'll be able to overclock it a bit. I think I have my core clock speed set at 1050MHz and the temps never reach more than 70C when I'm stress testing it. I could probably go a bit more but most/all of the games I'm playing run great at 1440p.

axb2013

Since I've seen requests for recommendations come up a few times, besides, Crysis, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Defense Grid and World in Conflict, a few more cheap games that either kept up well with the times or the gameplay will make you care less for visuals. There aren't many PC "exclusives" outside the RTS genre and indies yet some games I think are worth playing again on PC:

FEAR (the first with expansions) IMO, still the best AI even 10 years later. They will try and flank you, they will kick stuff to create cover for them, the last guy may panic and run away if you kill the rest of his squad. Also their conversations are hilarious. Example: You throw a nade at them. NPC1: Grenade! NPC2: Get to cover! NPC1: I can't! NPC2: Fuck!

Sins of a Solar Empire (I recommend the Rebellion) It's a 4X (basically a RTS in space) There is also a Star Trek Armada mod for it if you like Star Trek and want to take on Borg. If you are into the genre, Homeworld with the Sacrifice of Angels mod, Sacrifice of Angels 2 mod is for SOSAR too.

Deus Ex: HR. The game can be modded a little but doesn't win awards for it's looks. For me it has one of the best soundtracks ever and it's a good game indeed. The director's cut has dev commentary worth listening to IMO.

Banished: It's made by one guy but you wouldn't know it. It's not the easiest game and there is little to do once you master it but if nothing else, I would look at reviews before dismissing it.

If somehow you guys skipped Witcher series, I would definitely give that a shot. It's a cheap game, you can both enhanced editions super cheap. The uber mode will bring even the best rigs to their knees but even without supersampling, it's a good looking GOTY.

Company of Heroes and expansions (these are expansions before they became DLC's). I'm not quite soure how I feel about COH2 but the 1st one is a good game indeed.

If you can't get enough of WW2 RTS, give Men of War/Faces of War a look. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent playing mods for it. They have some newer ones too, one is in beta but I feel like they changed the game for the worse.

If you guys built a new rig and are also open to various genres, older titles and don't mind playing non AAA titles or games you already played on consoles, here is a few more games I would look into:

-Kerbal Space Program

-Gunpoint

-Stalker

-Limbo

-Max Payne

-Super Hexagon

-Terraria

-Tropico 4

-Torchlight 2

-Trine

-FTL

-Dungeons of Dredmor

-UnEpic

-Thief 1 & 2

There is of course more, I can't think of them right now, some of these are from my backlog. All of these games should be very cheap and I tried to avoid recommending titles that everyone got through on consoles.

Static discharge. Just touch the non painted parts of the case frequently or get a bracelet, they are cheap. Pay attention to standoffs for the mobo. You could also look up forum posts and articles regarding to specific CPU and mobo combo you are getting to avoid surprises.

Be sure to not press the CPU into the board too hard, might damage the pins. Gently press it down, should fit quite easily.

Also, just in case, don't wear rubber-socks and touch one of your heaters or the PSU to ground yourself: You don't want to get that sparkling feel when touching your hardware, might destroy something too.

// Also you'll need thermal paste if you want to use your current CPU cooler. If you use a boxed one, they often (like always) come with thermal paste on them already.

Duly noted. Thanks guys. :)

I was going to get an i7 at first, but when I made a thread about it everyone said the i5 was just right in terms of the price/performance ratio. They even put it in the thread title here, LOL. XD

Monarch

Banned
Hey there !
Just a quick question. Is there any real benefits to upgrading to a i5 4760K and the Z87 platefrom coming from a 2500K@ 4.5Ghz ?

I'm using my computer for gaming and working (Maya, Unity, Photoshop, etc.).
Thanks alot :)

kennah

Hey there !
Just a quick question. Is there any real benefits to upgrading to a i5 4760K and the Z87 platefrom coming from a 2500K@ 4.5Ghz ?

Minimal. Unless you use emulators.

EDIT: PCI 3.0, more SATA6gb ports, better USB3, consumes less power.

But speed wise? They're very very close. Haswell is about a 25% improvement clock for clock, but doesn't over clock as far reliably.

Duly noted. Thanks guys. :)

I was going to get an i7 at first, but when I made a thread about it everyone said the i5 was just right in terms of the price/performance ratio. They even put it in the thread title here, LOL. XD

As for gaming, I'm quiet sure you won't see a difference between an i5 and i7 (at least for "normal costumers"). Sure, if u boost it up to 3d 120hz on 3 screens, u'll want the best CPU u can get. Well, maybe even 2 CPUs lol

Monarch

Banned
Minimal. Unless you use emulators.

EDIT: PCI 3.0, more SATA6gb ports, better USB3, consumes less power.

But speed wise? They're very very close. Haswell is about a 25% improvement clock for clock, but doesn't over clock as far reliably.

Ok, I guess I won't see any difference in a day to day basis. And graphically, I'm not using fancy setups (1650*1050 resolution these days until i buy a new monitor). I'll stick with my trusty 2500K then :)
Thx !

Water

Hey there !

While the 4670K is probably too small of an upgrade to be worth it, a 4770K would be a decent performance boost for those particular non-game apps. You could see something like 20-40% more perf after a mild OC. Any reason you aren't considering it?

If that's not enough of an upgrade, the next opportunities will be Devil's Canyon around summer (something like 4770K that might overclock better, pricing unknown) and Haswell-E towards the end of the year (6+ cores but price goes through the roof vs. 4770K).

On a lark, I decided to upgrade my aging i5-760 today and add a few extras (finally will have a SSD). My GTX 680 can sit pretty for a while.

I got:

i7-4770 CPU
MSI Z87 MPower motherboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Corsair H100i cooler
Corsair Air 540 case

My memory / power supply / DVD drive can be reused.

On a lark, I decided to upgrade my aging i5-760 today and add a few extras (finally will have a SSD). My GTX 680 can sit pretty for a while.

I got:

i7-4770 CPU
MSI Z87 MPower motherboard
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Corsair H100i cooler
Corsair Air 540 case

My memory / power supply / DVD drive can be reused.

Buy replacement fans for the H100i. The stock ones are extremely poor.

I have an H100i, and I hate them. It's a good cooler otherwise though.

UrbanRats

Well, i've done it.

EVGA 780 3GB (i use a single monitor, so i felt like waiting for the 6GB version was a waste of time, and i was already over the budget with the 3gb model).

Hopefully it'll get me to Pascal with decent performance, in the future.

Clearly fishing for reassurance.

Well, i've done it.

EVGA 780 3GB (i use a single monitor, so i felt like waiting for the 6GB version was a waste of time, and i was already over the budget with the 3gb model).

I got on the 780 team last week as well. I'm using a 1080p hdtv and a lot of people say the 780 is overkill for that. I say there's no such thing. Let's enjoy the ride for a few years.

Consider yourself reassured lol

manhack

hey GAF! .. Just built a new pc ... super excited.

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooling
Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower
Corsair 1050W PS
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Noctia 140mm Case Fans

So, what should I be playing? Any tips of tricks to maximize power and efficiency?

Just build a very similar system with a new 1920 x 1080 monitor.

After a week of playing around with it I'm truly in love. I was running things decently on my old i920 @ 2.67 (no it wouldn't overclock) with a 660 ti at 1680x1050 and technically there was no reason to upgrade, but

DAMN it is a whole new gaming world.

Some of the highlights:

Turning BF4 up to Ultra settings with MSAA @ 60-120 fps and doing way better in multiplayer (the old pc would dip to 20-30 fps occassionally even on medium). Tried the singleplayer again and wanted to keep playing since it looked so damn good I couldn't believe it.

Playing DAYZ and ARMA 2 at highest settings. THey are like new games now. (fps isn't all that great, but more due to the engine being shite)

Tried out RAGE and it was constant 60 FPS at the highest settings. It is a gorgeous game even if a little straightforward.

Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas with all the mods I have look so much better.

GTA IV was a stuttering mess before and now it runs like butter. Tempted to add some ENB mods and attempt a full playthrough.

Crysis 3 runs great and I replayed some of the single player. Been running through the orginal Crysis with some modifications and it looks glorious and finally plays 60+ fps with no stuttering. Also tried out Crysis 2 with the MaldoHD mod.

Played some Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Boring game, but looks good and fun enough as a system showcase.

Finally able to crank all the settings in Metro 2033 and play the game perfectly. Excited to finish it and move on to Metro Last Light.

Excited to play through some games in my backlog now that I put there waiting for "the next upgrade"

axb2013

Well, i've done it.

I like your case. It's a result of a bang for buck hunting that I was obsessed with when I built this budget PC, used parts, discount codes, hot deals etc etc. It has features usually found in much more expensive cases.

If you are looking for reassurance, you have my seal of approval. In terms of bang for buck, it's not always easy to work out the best possible combo but:

I feel that Intel started getting lazy in 2011. As a result, the 2500K aged very well. Memory frequencies got bumped but latency did too and so going for more expensive mobos and sticks doesn't make sense. GPU's are "stuck" on 28nm, maybe at the end of the year we'll start seeing 20nm, maybe.There has been a lot of focus on mobile and the die shrinks hit a wall and that reflected on new consoles too, as a result we hit a bit of stagnation which is good news for folks that jumped the 2500K. For the record, I don't have one but I think it's a best buy CPU on terms of aging for the past few years.
DX12 coming to most recent architectures is good news too. Consoles didn't leap existing hardware at arrival, I guess logic dictates that PC's should stay relevant longer.

ACE 1991

Really tempted to sell my 1GB 6950 (granted I can get around $75 for it on ebay) and grab a 2GB 770. Would this be a good upgrade? I shouldn't run into many problems with a 2GB model in the future, right?

Lexxism

I'm looking at ebay to look for 6pin to 8pin PCI-E power adapter and one item description says "Supports nVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB/670 2GB/590/580/570/480/460(2Win 2GB)/295/280, 9800 GX2". Is there such thing exist? Or it will work perfectly fine? Thinking of using it for GTX 780.

$(KGrHqFHJF!FIHns)5eHBSDE8rz+9!~~60_12.JPG

scogoth

I'm looking at ebay to look for 6pin to 8pin PCI-E power adapter and one item description says "Supports nVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB/670 2GB/590/580/570/480/460(2Win 2GB)/295/280, 9800 GX2". Is there such thing exist? Or it will work perfectly fine? Thinking of using it for GTX 780.

Will work on anything but what PSU do you have?

Ashhong

Ok guys, so this is what I have picked out so far

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.05 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $57.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $140.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $465.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-07 12:36 EDT-0400)

Few questions:

1. Is this PSU better than the Antec 550 recommended in the OP? It's cheap right now with a rebate, semi modular like the Antec, but is rated Bronze while the Antec isn't rated anything (don't know what that really means). I also like Corsair, the previous ones have been good to me.

2. Still need to do some digging on the mother board. I'm not too sure what to look for really. I just know I need a Z87 board and that's about it...

3. Trying to decide between a R7 265 and an R9 270. They are only about 10-20$ apart. Any thoughts on which one to get?

Thanks!

Gonna repost this and add a couple options for video cards...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127790 R7 265 $150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127769 R9 270 $180

Are those both good versions?

Theres also this one that comes with an extra gift card but I don't know how good Power Color is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131545

Zero Hero

Wise GAF, I need some advice. Between these 2 video cards, which would be considered the best?

Radeon R9 270X VS. Nvidia GTX 660 Ti.

I just ran a comparison but I would like to know GAF's opinion on the subject. These are the results:

I just upgraded from a HD6850 to a 270x 4gb. The 270x gets high praise from me and my son who blurted out "Wow!" when playing BF4 on ultra.

Whats the difference between these 2 gtx 760s? Anyone have any idea? The ones base price is $90 more:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Different fans.

Also, don't look at the "List price", since amazon often puts insane prices there. Most of the products are everywhere over the internet for ABOUT the same price as on amazon (w/o discounts) and not anything near the list price amazon puts it on.

Just looks better saying: 300$ before, 200$ now. Save 50%!

2San

Whats the difference between these 2 gtx 760s? Anyone have any idea? The ones base price is $90 more:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHW4HP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The 2nd one has a worse cooler afaik. It probably has a higher base price, because it came out earlier. The cards with that shitty cooler are getting phased out and are thus low in stock and, which has a higher price than intended as an effect because of Amazons pricing algorithm.

Different fans.

Also, don't look at the "List price", since amazon often puts insane prices there. Most of the products are everywhere over the internet for ABOUT the same price as on amazon (w/o discounts) and not anything near the list price amazon puts it on.

Just looks better saying: 300$ before, 200$ now. Save 50%!

The 2nd one has a worse cooler afaik. It probably has a higher base price, because it came out earlier. The cards with that shitty cooler are getting phased out and are thus low in stock and, which has a higher price than intended as an effect because of Amazons pricing algorithm.

Thanks both for the response. I figured it was in regards to the fan, but saw that higher base price and didnt want to be missing out on if ordered the other one. Sounds like the newer one is the best bet.

Been debating on which gtx 760 to get for a week now

Ashhong

So I went ahead and got this R9 270 on Amazon for $180 (195 after tax...)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMGGZQE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Did I do good? If I am better off getting a 265 for $150+tax let me know please. I don't play graphically intensive games but if the 270 will last me even a little while longer that would be nice.

edit: shit, tigerdirect has the same card for 180 and no tax. Gotta cancel amazon now

UrbanRats

I got on the 780 team last week as well. I'm using a 1080p hdtv and a lot of people say the 780 is overkill for that. I say there's no such thing. Let's enjoy the ride for a few years.

Consider yourself reassured lol

I like your case. It's a result of a bang for buck hunting that I was obsessed with when I built this budget PC, used parts, discount codes, hot deals etc etc. It has features usually found in much more expensive cases.

If you are looking for reassurance, you have my seal of approval. In terms of bang for buck, it's not always easy to work out the best possible combo but:

I feel that Intel started getting lazy in 2011. As a result, the 2500K aged very well. Memory frequencies got bumped but latency did too and so going for more expensive mobos and sticks doesn't make sense. GPU's are "stuck" on 28nm, maybe at the end of the year we'll start seeing 20nm, maybe.There has been a lot of focus on mobile and the die shrinks hit a wall and that reflected on new consoles too, as a result we hit a bit of stagnation which is good news for folks that jumped the 2500K. For the record, I don't have one but I think it's a best buy CPU on terms of aging for the past few years.
DX12 coming to most recent architectures is good news too. Consoles didn't leap existing hardware at arrival, I guess logic dictates that PC's should stay relevant longer.

I welcome your words. :p

Garteal

Yea I did that, free return shipping too which is nice.

So the 270 is worth $30 more than the 265?
No. The 'only' differences between these cards is that the R9 270 has 80 Texture Units instead of 64 and 1280 shading units instead of 1024.
In terms of performance, the 265 will perform around ~3-10FPS less from the benchmarks I've seen. Something you can easily leverage by overclocking anyway.

Save the $30 and get a 265.

Ashhong

No. The 'only' differences between these cards is that the R9 270 has 80 Texture Units instead of 64 and 1280 shading units instead of 1024.
In terms of performance, the 265 will perform around ~3-10FPS less from the benchmarks I've seen. Something you can easily leverage by overclocking anyway.

Damn, time to cancel that one now lol.

This one good then?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127790

Gonna try and find one with no tax now

edit: or this one which is more, but no tax so ends up a little less. So MSI or Sapphire?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8924216&CatId=7387

Water

I don't follow how you come to that conclusion from those numbers. The 270 has 25% more shading units and 25% more texture units, yet costs only 20% more ($180 vs $150). If a game was fully shader bound, the 270 would be the better deal out of the two. And can't you overclock the 270 just as well as the 265? Both seem valid choices.

I think the real justification for picking the 265 would be that it'll suffice for now and the saved $30 will give more results in the future when applied towards the next upgrade.

Garteal

I don't follow how you come to that conclusion from those numbers. The 270 has 25% more shading units and 25% more texture units, yet costs only 20% more ($180 vs $150). If a game was fully shader bound, the 270 would be the better deal out of the two.
It's a conclusion to his case since he doesn't play graphically intensive games. Current benchmarks that are out on the GPU shows that the difference isn't huge anyway.
If you have a budget constraint or want the best bang for your buck the 265 is definitely the better deal.

And can't you overclock the 270 just as well as the 265? Both seem valid choices.
Yes you can and they are, but the point was to save the bucks and gain performance close to (or surpassing) an R9 270.

kharma45

265 and 270 are pretty closely matched. The hardware advantage the 270 has on paper doesn't really translate into much in the real world.

Ashhong

If size is no issue, I'd go with the Sapphire one. The Dual-X cooler is pretty good.

Well I havent picked out my case yet but I'm thinking the Fractal R4. Shouldn't be a problem right?

Honestly the only game I play right now is League of Legends, so I don't need anything fancy. But I would like to see 10000 FPS in the top right corner :D

Garteal

Well I havent picked out my case yet but I'm thinking the Fractal R4. Shouldn't be a problem right?
Yep, that'll easily fit.

Honestly the only game I play right now is League of Legends, so I don't need anything fancy. But I would like to see 10000 FPS in the top right corner :D
Heh, you'll have a smooth and locked 60FPS up there.

Ashhong

Bii

If you don't mind a non-windowed black R4, it's currently $99.99 with free shipping at Newegg. There's a $20 promo discount that ends today if you use EMCPFPW23 making it $79.99 plus tax.

Ashhong

I don't like the CX units. Too many DOA ones.

Hm, just realized that I have the VX at home and not the CX, that's the cheaper version right? It's just so cheap. Any other suggestions in the 550-600w modular PSU?

If you don't mind a non-windowed black R4, it's currently $99.99 with free shipping at Newegg. There's a $20 promo discount that ends today if you use EMCPFPW23 making it $79.99 plus tax.

I'm trying to decide between the black R4 and the white....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom