• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Does anyone know if any carriers sell data packages without recurring monthly charges? For example, does anyone offer 3GB of data for a one-time purchase and you can use it up over the course of a year if you want, and not worry about monthly fees or wasting data that goes unused each month? I'm considering a cellular iPad this time around for occasional on-the-go Internet use, but it would be too sporadic to make it worth paying for a monthly data plan. I have a grandfathered unlimited iPhone data plan, but won't switch to a limited plan for tethering.

Does anyone know if any carriers sell data packages without recurring monthly charges? For example, does anyone offer 3GB of data for a one-time purchase and you can use it up over the course of a year if you want, and not worry about monthly fees or wasting data that goes unused each month? I'm considering a cellular iPad this time around for occasional on-the-go Internet use, but it would be too sporadic to make it worth paying for a monthly data plan. I have a grandfathered unlimited iPhone data plan, but won't switch to a limited plan for tethering.

Buy from T-Mobile and you get 200MB 4G a month for free, no catch

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Interest free + free monthly data? Yeah that sounds way too good to be true.

Not really. Seems like a strong move by TMobile to get some folks onto their plans. It is only 200mb of free data after all. They probably expect to pick up a good amount of data plans off of something like this.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This is the one thing I want most on the iPad. I'm amazed that Apple still hasn't done it even though much of their competition does.

Seriously, that is the biggest reason I haven't updated from my iPad 2.

More than retina, Having a laminated iPad screen would be a strong motivator for upgrading.

I'm very confused actually. So they are selling the iPad mini, iPad 2, and iPad mini with retina, and all of them are using that two year old processor and video card. On top of that they are still selling the iPad 4 and now the air but both are using the new 5s processor and graphics card.

They aren't going to upgrade the iPad mini specs, and they are still manufacturing the iPad 2?

Why?

I'm wrecking my brain but can't think of anything that would make an iPad a "pro" device.

Active pen? Adds thickness so no go.
OSX apps? Requires X86 chips with active cooling making a thick tablet. No go.

Can't think of a thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm wrecking my brain but can't think of anything that would make an iPad a "pro" device.

Can't think of a thing.

Apple has added thickness to new iPad versions twice already (iPad 3, iPad Mini with retina) and also to one new iPhone version (iPhone 5c)

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm very confused actually. So they are selling the iPad mini, iPad 2, and iPad mini with retina, and all of them are using that two year old processor and video card. On top of that they are still selling the iPad 4 and now the air but both are using the new 5s processor and graphics card.

They aren't going to upgrade the iPad mini specs, and they are still manufacturing the iPad 2?

Why?

You are wrong. The iPad 4 is just stock being cleared and has the previous A6X processor, it will be gone from stores within weeks. The iPad Mini has the A5 processor, just like the iPad 2. The iPad Mini with Retina has the same specs as the iPad Air, with an A7 processor and a M7 co-processor.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
After all the effort to make it "Air"? lolz

The idea that there might be an iPad Pro comes from the branding of this one as an Air. The iPad Air would remain as light and thin as possible, while the theoretical iPad Pro would sacrifice weight/thickness for other advantages. Which they did on the iPad 3 and Mini retina.

Mindwipe

Can't think of a thing.

Active pen wouldn't really do anything but push it back to the old thickness.

I think it's a good bet - it is the one hardware area where the Surface Pro really shows the iPad up. A really good drawing solution that allowed handwriting notes on e-books etc? That would be a big deal for many people.

Pretty crazy to think that in 5-6 years an iPad could weigh about as much as an iPhone 5s while being significantly more powerful. Great times we live in!

OK I have to ask but why are people pushing so hard for this iPad pro that runs desktop apps.

I think this will happen in the future but running apps primarily designed for desktops on tablets is just a terrible idea. I don't get why MS currently thinks it's a selling point. The only advantage of the hybrid arrangement is that the app can use the same back end processing, the entire app UI has to change.

Look at metro people still hate it on desktops just because it is a UI more suited to tablets and is not very space efficient on desktops. I mean I don't really care what app I am using so long as the app can access and manipulate my data, case in point web browsers you don't generally care what browser you are using just that it can access the web. So if we rewrite a new Word/Excel implementation just for a mobile/ tablet why do we have to share the app across both platforms.

At the moment I think the convenience of carrying one device as opposed to two (tablet & laptop) is outweighed by the reduced effectiveness of either.

My Xperia Tablet Z >>> Surface Pro as a tablet (looks to be even more so with the iPad Air).

My laptop >>> Surface pro as a laptop.

Mindwipe

OK I have to ask but why are people pushing so hard for this iPad pro that runs desktop apps.

I think this will happen in the future but running apps primarily designed for desktops on tablets is just a terrible idea. I don't get why MS currently thinks it's a selling point. The only advantage of the hybrid arrangement is that the app can use the same back end processing, the entire app UI has to change.

Because for many people the UI is a relatively minor consideration to being able to run your own, uncensored applications from a source you pick with full control over the userland and the file system.

Even on a mobile device.

The Surface Pro is *great* because of this. It's just a shame that it's Metro userland is still locked down and it's price is so high.

Blackhead

Redarse
I believe the iPad 2 is aimed st businesses who use ipads for set tasks and need the full size screen but will welcome the cost per unit discount over the air.

Like Apple ever gave a fuck about the enterprise (nor should they). People now really think it's a good idea for Apple to be making product decisions based on what middle-management and IT support staff want?

Ovid

Interest free + free monthly data? Yeah that sounds way too good to be true.
There is no catch if you're light user and only access email and view a few pics while on the go.

More people should be talking about how T-Mobile is disrupting the phone/tablet market.

AT&T is offering 250MB for $15.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How could the iPad Mini possibly have the same amount of battery life as the iPad Air? Is there a lot of extra space in the iPad Air or something? Powering that much bigger of a screen can't be using that much battery power.

TxdoHawk

Does anyone know if any carriers sell data packages without recurring monthly charges?

When I had a Verizon-3g iPad, you were free to start and stop your data plan whenever you wanted. Whenever you cancelled, your remaining data was available for the rest of the month, and at any point you could sign up again. (This obviously does not apply to tablets you purchase "on contract", wherein you get a discount on the device in exchange for being locked into a data plan for two years.)

For example, does anyone offer 3GB of data for a one-time purchase and you can use it up over the course of a year if you want, and not worry about monthly fees or wasting data that goes unused each month?
Somewhere, a wireless carrier CEO is laughing endlessly at this post, inbetween doing lines of cocaine off strippers. Mobile data plans are expensive and wasteful by design, I'm afraid.

How could the iPad Mini possibly have the same amount of battery life as the iPad Air? Is there a lot of extra space in the iPad Air or something? Powering that much bigger of a screen can't be using that much battery power.

Screens are usually the biggest battery draw on tablets and cell phones, so it's not out of the question.

Like Apple ever gave a fuck about the enterprise (nor should they). People now really think it's a good idea for Apple to be making product decisions based on what middle-management and IT support staff want?

It shouldn't be their primary concern, but tablets are great for near-useless middle managers who basically just need an email client with the capability of displaying documents. We've been rolling iPads out at my company (large retail corporation), and they're the first candidates for our BYOD program.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Our company has been rolling out iPads to all our field employees for the last 6 months.
I'm talking thousands of them.

iPhones are rolling out to C and VP level guys too, and expanding from there.

My BI group has been experimenting with them for ways to show off dashboards in a more dynamic way with very nice results.

I think enterprise is good business.

alekth

Sort of undecided on whether to upgrade from an iPad 3. I used it a whole lot during my exchange year in Japan, but since I've been back usage is down by a lot.
Gave it to my mum for a month to see whether she likes it, to give it to her and buy a new one, and whether I miss it to start with.

tipoo

Banned
So there would be a single 64 bit wide memory channel at 1333 Mhz where as the previous A6X had a 128 bit wide 1066 Mhz (roughly 1.6 times faster)...Unless the A7 in this uses a different bus width, it would be more bandwidth constrained, significantly more so.

The screen is most likely it, for example if I am watching twitch on my iPad 3 the battery will go down at a noticeable rate, if I stream it to an apple tv and turn the ipad screen off I can stream for 2+ hours and only use like 1 to 2% in total over what would usually be about 15 to 20%

I can believe that the mini screen being smaller really helps.

The screen is most likely it, for example if I am watching twitch on my iPad 3 the battery will go down at a noticeable rate, if I stream it to an apple tv and turn the ipad screen off I can stream for 2+ hours and only use like 1 to 2% in total over what would usually be about 15 to 20%

I can believe that the mini screen being smaller really helps.

Ya, but isn't the difference in battery capacity like 33% between the Air and the Mini? Is the screen size difference a 33% difference in power consumption? It seems pretty drastic.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, the WalMart $479 seems like a no brainer over the Mini for that price...

$165 for the iPad 3 seems kinda low in my opinion

Top Bottom