• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Mr Swine

Banned
I really hope that Air has 2GB of ram, can't have more than 2 tabs on safari with loads of pictures than it crashes or refreshes :/

Does Best Buy usually get new iPads on launch?

Maybe but who knows on the inventory. I have a good number of Walmarts, BestBuys and Targets around but I wouldn't be able to go out until midday on the 1st. No clue on if any of them are getting it in. Guess we'll know later this week? Wonder if it would just be easier to get what I want through Apple's online store and wait a few days.

mandiller

Is anyone else worried about the supposed 10 hours battery life? Apple claim it'll be the same battery life as the previous gen even though the battery is like 20% smaller or something. Their reasoning is that the A7 chip is so power efficient. If that's the case, then was the battery life for the iPhone 5S way better than the 5?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is anyone else worried about the supposed 10 hours battery life? Apple claim it'll be the same battery life as the previous gen even though the battery is like 20% smaller or something. Their reasoning is that the A7 chip is so power efficient. If that's the case, then was the battery life for the iPhone 5S way better than the 5?

They have always been truthful about claimed battery life on the ipad line.

jts

...hate me...
Well that's not apples to apples because the previous iPad sported an A6X while the iPhone 5 had simply an A6. The X variants are more power hungry.

Lets wait and see what Anand has to say about it.

mandiller

Well that's not apples to apples because the previous iPad sported an A6X while the iPhone 5 had simply an A6. The X variants are more power hungry.

Lets wait and see what Anand has to say about it.

Yes, but the iPhone 5 had the A6, then the 5S had the 'power efficient' A7. Comparing those two models how many hours extra battery life did the new chip give the 5S?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Apple is about the only company out there of whom I trust battery longevity claims. I'm not too worried.

jts

...hate me...
Yes, but the iPhone 5 had the A6, then the 5S had the 'power efficient' A7. Comparing those two models how many hours extra battery life did the new chip give the 5S?
Well, the A7 may be the most power efficient Apple chip ever, but the A6 was pretty good as well. The problem was that the A5X (iPad 3) and the A6X (iPad 4) were not so much thanks to a hungry GPU, and that means that Apple being finally able to bring their vanilla power efficient chip back to the iPad, allows for a battery size reduction without compromising battery life.

Anecdotally though, I've been reading good impressions about the 5S's battery life... though it grew a small bit in size as well, relatively to the iPhone 5's.

chadskin

I always felt like the iPad was just a tad bit too heavy and clunky to comfortably hold it for reading and even playing games so the reduction in thickness and weight is beyond awesome for me. Especially if they can keep the battery life up there with the previous generations. Mad props, Apple, you really surprised me with this one.

Hopefully, I can pick one up early on Friday this week. iPad launches usually aren't as overrun as iPhone ones, as far as I recall anyway.

Vire

Question, what time/time zone does the Air come out on the online store?

Sorry if this was asked already.

By far the best iPad air hands on video yet

http://youtu.be/iSx5-oXKpzs

Yeah probably going with the white. Great hands on.

why are you guys choosing the Air over the Mini? im still undecided

Wanting to use it more at work for grading papers, annotating PDFs but also for Safari, games, etc. I missed the extra screen size for work related tasks when I went with the Mini last year. Now that it's as thin as the Mini and nearly as light too seems like a better choice for my use case, especially since I plan to keep this one for the next 2 years at least.

chadskin

I want to read PDF documents and magazines as well as make annotations in documents mainly hence I need the bigger screen. Otherwise, if you don't intend to work on/replace your notebook with the Air, I'd probably go with the Mini.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

9.8>7.8. I only use my iPad at home or while long distance traveling, so the form factor isn't super important for me. If it were $330 again i would consider it, but never for $400.

With the weight being close to the same as mini, being as thin, the bigger screen is now a no brainier

It's going to be a long 4 days

Man I keep going back and forth on which way to go. After the conference I was set on the Air, but since then I've been leaning back towards the mini cuz it's $100 cheaper which helps a lot when looking at 64 or 128gig and my 2.5 year old will be using it in the car where I think it'll be easier to use when it's smaller. Still don't know which way to go...

Ovid

Man I keep going back and forth on which way to go. After the conference I was set on the Air, but since then I've been leaning back towards the mini cuz it's $100 cheaper which helps a lot when looking at 64 or 128gig and my 2.5 year old will be using it in the car where I think it'll be easier to use when it's smaller. Still don't know which way to go...
I want the Mini so bad but there has to be more to the story (spec wise).

If i get the Air, will I be paying $100 more just to have a bigger screen? Seems like a bit much.

TxdoHawk

Smart cover does not protect the back, and TBH, is a flimsy cover all around.

Wait for the Toblino 4.

Is this considered the best of the case+smartcover+stand style cases? I see the version for the iPad 2 is well-regarded, but I also see complaints about the Toblino 3 not fitting well in some instances.

I loved my original Mini 90% of the time, and I can easily see why someone would want that size...but it really comes down to that last ten percent. Certain things will inevitably make you miss that extra screen space (comics, PDFs, etc.), and the question is, are those things you will spend a lot of time on?

Regarding the little one, the reduced weight might help, but then again a bigger screen means larger easier targets to touch. Personally, I applaud you for having the guts to let him near your future slab, hopefully you have a sturdy case picked out.

bodine1231

I want the Mini so bad but there has to be more to the story (spec wise).

If i get the Air, will I be paying $100 more just to have a bigger screen? Seems like a bit much.

I read so many comics and magazines that the bigger screen is definitely worth it.

well mini is higher ppi. So it really is if moving your face a few inches closer for $100 less is worth it.

It also depends greatly on how often you use iPad, if you just use the iPad for reading on the subway or some casual usage here and there, get the mini. If the iPad become close to a laptop replacement, get the air because you're going to be using it so much.

javac

All the hands on says how much faster it is, some even said it appeared faster then the 5S, so if there isn't 2GB RAM, I won't be too upset

Isn't ram more to do with how many apps and pages on the internet browser you can have open at the same time? I don't have an iOS device (mum has a iPhone 5 and I have a GS4) so I don't know how iOS handles that sort of thing.

Korosenai

everywhere. selling to a person can probably get you the best deal, but even apple is offering up to 180 or so for trade-in.
My ipad mini does have a minor dent in one of the corners, but besides that its flawless. And I have an otterbox and smart cover I can bundle with it.... I might try out craigslist and see how that works.

It also depends greatly on how often you use iPad, if you just use the iPad for reading on the subway or some casual usage here and there, get the mini. If the iPad become close to a laptop replacement, get the air because you're going to be using it so much.

This is my thinking as well. I want to use the iPad for reading, light web browsing, some apps, and light gaming. I still use me laptop lots, so I'm going for the mini. If the iPad is going to replace your laptop for the most part and you're going to use it as your main computing device, I would say it's better to go for the Air.

All the hands on says how much faster it is, some even said it appeared faster then the 5S, so if there isn't 2GB RAM, I won't be too upset

a stock empty ios 7 device will always be faster than your device filled up with apps and other stuff.

and ios7 animations are so slow, its hard enough to see difference in performance of a 5 vs 5s outside of web browsers and scrolling super fast in tweetbot.

Ugh, so I have my Wifi-only iPad in my office with me. I wanted to wipe it to send to Gazelle today, but I don't have WiFi access. Is there a way to wipe the device with it having no online access?

solarus

I know and I'll probably cave in anyway, but it's an expensive purchase so I'd love if they've upped it to 2gb from the 1gb in the ipad 3/4, the lack of memory always irritates me (especially being on an ipad mini).

Top Bottom